Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,529 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

How Do You Treat Your Maid? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Treat Your Maid? (12451 Views)

Would You Forgive Your Husband Who Got Your Maid Pregnant? / When your maid becomes the madam. / How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by nickybayo(f): 6:18pm On May 16, 2009
Pepeye:

@
poster

Are u still a maid?
And why haven’t you left ur post if it’s that bad

i'm no longer a maid
i left their after a week, now i'm unemployed and happy abt it
looking for a job now,
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 16, 2009
Why did you become a maid? You sound educated and you could get a more decent job.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Pepeye(f): 6:25pm On May 16, 2009
For ur info maids are in high demand for now. . so don’t put urself out . .i know folks who wud pay u well for your services and treat u with all decency
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by nickybayo(f): 6:44pm On May 16, 2009
Pepeye:

For ur info maids are in high demand for now. . so don’t put urself out . .i know folks who wud pay u well for your services and treat u with all decency

u know pple who will pay well, treat me well and be decent but i dont know them

michelin89:

Why did you become a maid? You sound educated and you could get a more decent job.

i can get a decent job that wont pay well
if i can get a better paying job, i will gladly take it
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Pepeye(f): 7:02pm On May 16, 2009
I can’t guarantee instant employment. But let me see what I can do ummmm….

where are u located?
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Theblessed(f): 12:23pm On May 17, 2009
nickybayo:

we dont sleep b4 her and everynight, she spend hours on her phone calling her children
she locks us out in the cold every time she's going out
we sleep on cold hard floor{though she can afford to give us a room if she wants} when we do sleep and we sleep at most, for 3 hours everyday

we wash the toilet with our hands and a small sponge and have to dip our hands into where faeces go{and she watches with eagle eyes so their's no way u can avoid it}  angry angry

we are not allowed to touch the tv, sit at her presence or answer a phone
i could go on and on

what i hate most is her attitude to mistakes
she will go on and on at it for hours, curse you, abuse you till u feel like dying
she really is a bitchy bitchy bitchy bitch

Now people, you see all I have been saying on here that these OGA'S and MADAM's are evil! There are two sides to every story people, you must not forget that.

I asked you to get the maids online here then, you would hear the two sides of the story and make up your own mind and now at least, you've heard from 'just' one of them.  When people are powerful, they can do and undo.  Imagine how this heartless woman treated other people's children, just because, she gave them food and shelter, imagine Would she like her own children be treated this way??  God would judge them all, EVIL!!
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by ban1(m): 4:19pm On May 17, 2009
Anyone, who has questioned this poor girls status based on her level of grammar and access to d internet will sure maltreat their maid. because u 'll never encourage that. Gbam ! From experience.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by nairafan: 11:06pm On May 17, 2009
This is a response to Tpia's request

I pay my housekeeper N54000 (fifty four K) per month plus medical insurance contributions, pension contributions, modern en suite bedroom in the guest wing with AC, kitchen equip ed with fridge and hotplate. I do not provide food

But what do I get from this lady.      ,  She barges into our conversations husband and I or my friends and I)'  she can"t cook plantain in little oil, according to her it must only be deepfried, (or else she burns them pitch black) she can't  pound yam, she can't iron, she talks back. And she lied during interview that she could cook and iron. I do all the cooking but once in a while I want to eat local food. (am not Nigerian)

I taught her all that she knows so far like cleaning, serving, ironing (she still struggles though)etc etc

You may ask why do I keep her,  she is the fourth in two years and she is with me for three weeks so far.  I think I pay well and derserved better service dont you think   

We are only three in my family.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Ndipe(m): 11:12pm On May 17, 2009
nairafan:

I pay my housekeeper N54000   (fifty four K) per month plus medical insurance contributions, pension contributions, modern en suite bedroom in the guest wing with AC, kitchen equip ed with fridge and hotplate. I do not provide food

But what do I get from this lady.      ,  She barges into our conversations husband and I or my friends and I)'  she can"t cook plantain in little oil, according to her it must only be deepfried, (or else she burns them pitch black) she can't  pound yam, she can't iron, she talks back. And she lied during interview that she could cook and iron. I do all the cooking but once in a while I want to eat local food. (am not Nigerian)

I taught her all that she knows so far like cleaning, serving, ironing (she still struggles though)etc etc

You may ask why do I keep her,  she is the fourth in two years and she is with me for three weeks so far.  I think I pay well and derserved better service dont you think   

Rather than complaining, you can simply send her packing.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by tpiah: 11:43pm On May 17, 2009
nairafan:

I pay my housekeeper N54000 (fifty four K) per month plus medical insurance contributions, pension contributions, modern en suite bedroom in the guest wing with AC, kitchen equip ed with fridge and hotplate. I do not provide food

Paying a "maid" N54000 which is about half the average monthly salary of a well paid medical officer in Nigeria, sounds rather far fetched, but I'll take your word for it.

lets assume then, that there are different categories of maids in Nigeria. The vast majority do NOT get the kind of monthly renumeration you're talking about here. Most times they get a stipend, and the employer promises to either put them through school or sign them up to learn a trade.

MOST Nigerian maids do not speak American English. A quick scan through Nairaland alone shows an astounding number of Nigerians who struggle with regular English, talkless suddenly developing an American lingo and casually saying things like "Hi guys" not to mention logging on the web to discuss their latest experiences as ONGOING maids.

Former maids I can understand- they may have struggled through school, gotten themselves educated and can use a computer. But most people wouldnt expect them to remain maids at that stage.

The vast majority of househelps in Nigeria are underpriviledged and have few rights. No legal protection either. They complain about their employers, their employers complain about them- its a vicious cycle.

Here's an overall picture:

Everywhere in the country, the pitiable state of children in Nigeria is evident. In the Northern part of the country, hapless student-beggars, almajiris, roam the landscape. In Lagos and other urban centres of the country, children are often to be found in markets and in the streets, engaged in trading and other strenuous activities that are well beyond their tender frames.

They have been reportedly discovered to be working in cement and stone factories, some have been discovered in brothels, sleeping with men in exchange for money that goes to their “benefactors”, while thousands are engaged as househelps and in other forms of forced labour on farms, factories and in private homes. Children are raped, maltreated and sold at the whims and caprices of depraved adults.

They are largely unprotected by the state and their rights to life, basic education and the rights not to be used for forced labour, child trade, child trafficking etc, as provided for under the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) 1989, are routinely flagrantly flouted. The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of the Child that “mankind owes the child the best it has to give” has little meaning in the country. The exploitation and maltreatment of children in Nigeria have not escaped the attention of international agencies and the rest of the world.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2008/may/27/editorial-27-05-2008-001.htm

I pay my housekeeper N54000 (fifty four K) per month plus medical insurance contributions, pension contributions, modern en suite bedroom in the guest wing with AC, kitchen equip ed with fridge and hotplate.

95% of Nigerian househelps (not housekeepers) do NOT enjoy such amenities.  Many sleep on the bare floor, eat leftovers and are second class citizens in general. Many of them are aware of their status and as such, feel little incentive to conform and be a "good " servant. Not to mention the psychological trauma some went through- coming from a dirt poor home and possibly trafficked as well.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Nobody: 10:00am On May 18, 2009
Doubting thomases read well before you post. She said she is a year three student iof a college of Education. I know of Gradutes who are working as maids, my neighbors maid is a graduate she is paid N15,000/ Month
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by coolfaced8(f): 1:35pm On May 18, 2009
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by tpiah: 4:03pm On May 18, 2009
aisha2:

Doubting thomases read well before you post. She said she is a year three student iof a college of Education. I know of Gradutes who are working as maids, my neighbors maid is a graduate she is paid N15,000/ Month

unversity graduate or NCE graduate?

though N15000 per month is about the same as what some people make at entry level civil service jobs sha.

I'm assuming your neighbor's maid is only using that job as a stopgap until she gets something better?

And there are different categories of maids. Now, if underprivileged children are no longer being trafficked to work as househelps in different parts of the country, then that's an improvement. However, it sounds too good to be true.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 18, 2009
@Tpiah, if you read her post corectly you will see that she took the maid job as a temproray thing because her sister told her that she would learn and grow by working for this woman. Things are really bad in Nigeria now, some mechanics now employ graduates of Mechanical Engineering
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by tpiah: 5:25pm On May 18, 2009
aisha2:

@Tpiah, if you read her post corectly you will see that she took the maid job as a temproray thing because her sister told her that she would learn and grow by working for this woman. Things are really bad in Nigeria now, some mechanics now employ graduates of Mechanical Engineering

@ bolded

she added all that after reading people's comments.

She modified her initial post.

I'm not interested in beating this topic to death, but a mechanic with an established business can employ a mech.eng graduate. It also benefits the graduate because he learns the practical aspects of his profession. There's always been a debate about how much practical exposure engineering students get while in university as compared to HND hlders who have a years IT or OJT.

Perspective is important. My dad once complained about a fresh mech eng degree holder who couldnt fix his (my dad's) car. The job had to be done by an ordinary mechanic with many years experience.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 18, 2009
@tpaih, maybe she added that so people could get a clearer picture of the story because of the kind of comments being posted. I do that sometimes, i post and read through my post and i see some mistakes and details i forgot to add and i modify my post
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by tpiah: 5:33pm On May 18, 2009
aisha2:

@tpaih, maybe she added that so people could get a clearer picture of the story because of the kind of comments being posted. I do that sometimes, i post and read through my post and i see some mistakes and details i forgot to add and i modify my post

that's quite possible. She could also have clarified herself in a separate post but to each his own.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 18, 2009
Its better to modify it saves you explaining and explaining especially to people reading just the first post. Some people read the first post and reply, they dont go through the entire pages so they make replies based on what they read on the first post
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by tpiah: 5:41pm On May 18, 2009
aisha2:

Its better to modify it saves you explaining and explaining especially to people reading just the first post. Some people read the first post and reply, they dont go through the entire pages so they make replies based on what they read on the first post

people also read the modified first post (like you did) and draw conclusions based on that.

However, no need to split hairs over her modifications, since not having a modify button at all doesnt solve any problem. It was removed once and that didnt sit well.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by elvisugo(m): 6:38pm On May 18, 2009
i treat mine wit the the utmost s*xual satisfaction, and u knw wat? , she so luvs it, charity they say begins frm ur f*cking home, no sleepin on bike,
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by nickybayo(f): 7:46pm On May 19, 2009
hey, are u a lawyer?
if u are not, then i'll advise u to go read law or something

i cant start answering pple questions so i decided to modify so that evrybody can read it
is something wrong with that?
tpiah:

@ bolded

she added all that after reading people's comments.

She modified her initial post.

I'm not interested in beating this topic to death, but a mechanic with an established business can employ a mech.eng graduate. It also benefits the graduate because he learns the practical aspects of his profession. There's always been a debate about how much practical exposure engineering students get while in university as compared to HND hlders who have a years IT or OJT.

Perspective is important. My dad once complained about a fresh mech eng degree holder who couldnt fix his (my dad's) car. The job had to be done by an ordinary mechanic with many years experience.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by nickybayo(f): 7:54pm On May 19, 2009
i stay at lagos
mainland
and i'm desperate for a job now
i got the teaching job after staying at a pay phone center after i left sch
i've never been unemployed so i'm really worried abt it
Pepeye:

I can’t guarantee instant employment. But let me see what I can do ummmm….

where are u located?

Re: How Do You Treat Your Maid? by shutlling: 3:29pm On May 23, 2009
Hi,

If u dnt mind a contract job in one of the country's new generation banks, u can mail me on bjbouky@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Your Ọmọ-ọ̀dọ̀ (House Girl) More Su Ẹ̀gbẹ̀ Than Mine? Prove It / Help: Television Series Wants To Ruin My Marriage / Husband In Nite Clubs/discos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.