Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,438 members, 7,850,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) (86501 Views)

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup / Falconets Qualify For U-20 World Cup (Photos) / The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: U-17 World Cup (India 2017) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by safarigirl(f): 9:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

How do you know who is ready to play for Nigeria?

These guys are Nigerians too. Give them a call to see if they are interested. If not , leave them.

If Solanke is showing potential, He is a Nigerian as much as Success and Iheanacho. Whether for age-group or senior team.

It is not in the character of everyone to announce themselves in the press. A single private call and they will be willing.

There are several pure english players in the EPL, yet they are trying to convince Iwobi.

They are not using the mentality of there are other pure english prospects out there, why invite a half british person?

We need to start seeing these guys as Nigerians.

I speak as a Nigerian living abroad. If i have children abroad, their first identity is Nigeria and if they happen to be footballers, i would hope they are given a fair shot to make the Nigerian team if they are good enough.
same way they reached out to Agbonlahor, Onuorah and the rest abi?

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

From up to the age of 17 our players are on equal grounds. Our boys have been crowned mvp of the last 2 U-17's so my answer to that is a resounding yes.

My question is how many English youth players end up playing with these clubs? Sure Rashford is great but when Man U needed a striker they went to France, he is only in his position by chance. If Man U didn't have so many injuries we would never know he exists.
Brasil are the kings of football yet their player are not all over England for the most part they are in smaller leagues till they are ready.

I am not saying have a team full of foriegn players but at least give them a chance, invite them and see what they can offer. Who is to say our homebased boys won't hold down their spots.

When Athletic Bilbao played Partizan Belgrade in a Europa League match here Thursday night, eight of its starting 11 players had risen through the club’s academy. The other three have Basque heritage.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/sports/soccer/using-only-local-talent-athletic-bilbao-goes-a-long-way.html
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by tbaba1234: 9:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
safarigirl:
same way they reached out to Agbonlahor, Onuorah and the rest abi?

It is not a big deal if they reject but we can also get exceptional and committed talents like Odemwingie.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by safarigirl(f): 9:45pm On Mar 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

Reuben Agboola
Balogun
Odemwingie

All played for Nigeria, give them a call and see if they are interested. How much is one phone-call?
Odemwingie was never eligible for England, neither was Balogun, dunno the Reuben guy. Pale-skinned negroes tend to choose England over us
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by tbaba1234: 9:58pm On Mar 21, 2016
safarigirl:
Odemwingie was never eligible for England, neither was Balogun, dunno the Reuben guy. Pale-skinned negroes tend to choose England over us

He was eligible for Russia. It has nothing to do with skin color.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Long story. Because, we won U17 MVP, we have reached European standard of development. Look at Real Madrid Academy. Jese Rodriguez, Morata, Carvajal, Sarabia, from one Academy.

Southampton, Luke Shaw, Bale, Theo Walcott, Chamberlain, one Academy.

Barcelona, Sergi Roberto, Thiago Alacantara, Rafinha Alacantara, Montoya, One Academy.

Man City, Boyata, Denayer, Guidetti, Dennis Suarez, Sturridge,

The qualification required for an Academy job in Spain is the same with that of a top club in Spain.

We are far behind.
Compare that to the amount of players that didn't make it coming through with these stars and u will see that we are not so far behind.
It is not the academies job to make them stars but to get them jobs as football players, the rest is up to the player and his club. People might not respect our team but they respect the fact that Nigeria is a marketplace for ball players.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
tbaba1234:

How do you know who is ready to play for Nigeria?

These guys are Nigerians too. Give them a call to see if they are interested. If not , leave them.

If Solanke is showing potential, He is a Nigerian as much as Success and Iheanacho. Whether for age-group or senior team.

It is not in the character of everyone to announce themselves in the press. A single private call and they will be willing.

There are several pure english players in the EPL, yet they are trying to convince Iwobi.

They are not using the mentality of there are other pure english prospects out there, why invite a half british person?

We need to start seeing these guys as Nigerians.

I speak as a Nigerian living abroad. If i have children abroad, their first identity is Nigeria and if they happen to be footballers, i would hope they are given a fair shot to make the Nigerian team if they are good enough.

They have a fair shot in the National team. The only place that is not open to them is the U17 because the European kids have better means to develop themselves as footballers compared to the Nigerian kids.

They can sacrifice the U17 for their less privileged brothers and join the U20 National team to make Nigeria team stronger. It is all for building a stronger Super Eagles and reducing the amount of Nigerian talented kids left behind.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Compare that to the amount of players that didn't make it coming through with these stars and u will see that we are not so far behind.
It is not the academies job to make them stars but to get them jobs as football players, the rest is up to the player and his club. People might not respect our team but they respect the fact that Nigeria is a marketplace for ball players.

Tell me the name of one Academy in Nigeria we will use and compare with Tottenham Academy. Let us list the recent graduates and let us see if the Nigerian Academy is not dark ages behind.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:28pm On Mar 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

When Athletic Bilbao played Partizan Belgrade in a Europa League match here Thursday night, eight of its starting 11 players had risen through the club’s academy. The other three have Basque heritage.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/sports/soccer/using-only-local-talent-athletic-bilbao-goes-a-long-way.html

Pls take this down it supports nothing. All bilboa players have to come from Basque, it is their rule.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Pls take this down it supports nothing. All bilboa players have to come from Basque, it is their rule.

Which kind of talk is that. They have that rule because they believe in the strength of their talents. They invest heavily in their talents.

Do you think Bilbao will be a top club if their Academy is not good?

Is Bilbao Academy good?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:58pm On Mar 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Which kind of talk is that. They have that rule because they believe in the strength of their talents. They invest heavily in their talents.

Do you think Bilbao will be a top club if their Academy is not good?

Is Bilbao Academy good?
U must have just started following Spanish football, Bilboa has been in la liga with this same set of rules since at least 1930 when they won la liga by going undefeated. I guess you'll say they had a world class academy then.
They are one of 3 teams never to get relegated out of la liga. What goes on there is a miracle. Do u think any team in England can do that?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Tell me the name of one Academy in Nigeria we will use and compare with Tottenham Academy. Let us list the recent graduates and let us see if the Nigerian Academy is not dark ages behind.

Oga u dey send me home work? I already said most our Eagles came from academies at home like Mikel and Elderson from pepsi or Simon and Musa from GBsomething but that is all i know the rest na google go answer.

All the same my point still is that being in Nigeria does not render a young player useless.
Remember Enyeama was playing in Nigeria when he made the world cup list and the rest is history.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:13pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U must have just started following Spanish football, Bilboa has been in la liga with this same set of rules since at least 1930 when they won la liga by going undefeated. I guess you'll say they had a world class academy then.
They one of 3 teams never to get relegated out of la liga. What goes on there is a miracle. Do u think any team in England can do that?

Say what you know. How can you say I started following Bilbao recently. In France 98, one of the Subs, a winger who came in and dazzled for Spain against Nigeria was a Bilbao player and their team policy of only local players was already going on. His name was Exteberria.

What goes on in Bilbao is not just a Miracle but hardwork and patience. They invest and trust in their youth system. Something a lot of English teams are guilty off.

I pointed the Iheanacho's case. Where Man City prefer the expensive players over their home grown talents. Why sell Dennis Suarez and buy Sterling? Why let Denayer go on loan and keep Demeichelis.

The EPL teams are money driven and the clubs lack patience. Look at Chelsea with Solanke in the club and they went out for two crocked players Falcao and now Pato.

I am showing you how an Academy can produce 8 players in a starting lineup in a Europa League. That shows how good the Academy is. The current team, most of them are from the Academy.

I am waiting for the name of one Nigerian Academy that I will compare with an academy in Europe. Let us know if our Academy Football is close to the Europeans or if our academies are not dark ages behind.

I will use Sporting Lisbon with graduates like CR7, Moutinho, Nani, Quaresma, Veloso.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Oga u dey send me home work? I already said most our Eagles came from academies at home like Mikel and Elderson from pepsi or Simon and Musa from GBsomething but that is all i know the rest na google go answer.

All the same my point still is that being in Nigeria does not render a young player useless.
Remember Enyeama was playing in Nigeria when he made the world cup list and the rest is history.

When you list our top Academy graduates of the whole country, one Academy like Valencia can have more top stars than them. The gap is too much.

Look at how many graduates are in the current Tottenham team. I think Sherwood said hehe worked with Harry Kane since Harry Kane was twelve. Deir, Bentaleb, Mason.

Even West Ham. Our boys have nothing close to it. The gap is too much.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:47pm On Mar 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Say what you know. How can you say I started following Bilbao recently. In France 98, one of the Subs, a winger who came in and dazzled for Spain against Nigeria was a Bilbao player and their team policy of only local players was already going on. His name was Exteberria.

What goes on in Bilbao is not just a Miracle but hardwork and patience. They invest and trust in their youth system. Something a lot of English teams are guilty off.

I pointed the Iheanacho's case. Where Man City prefer the expensive players over their home grown talents. Why sell Dennis Suarez and buy Sterling? Why let Denayer go on loan and keep Demeichelis.

The EPL teams are money driven and the clubs lack patience. Look at Chelsea with Solanke in the club and they went out for two crocked players Falcao and now Pato.

I am showing you how an Academy can produce 8 players in a starting lineup in a Europa League. That shows how good the Academy is. The current team, most of them are from the Academy.

I am waiting for the name of one Nigerian Academy that I will compare with an academy in Europe. Let us know if our Academy Football is close to the Europeans or if our academies are not dark ages behind.

I will use Sporting Lisbon with graduates like CR7, Moutinho, Nani, Quaresma, Veloso.

Be truthfull and honest no team elsewhere can accomplish that. I took u way back to 1930 so how can u say that they are successfull just because they have a good academy. Would Man U still be surviving with only homegrown players? Class of 93 good but no CR7, Rooney, Nani, RVP, Chicharito not so good.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Mar 21, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Be truthfull and honest no team elsewhere can accomplish that. I took u way back to 1930 so how can u say that they are successfull just because they have a good academy. Would Man U still be surviving with only homegrown players? Class of 93 good but no CR7, Rooney, Nani, RVP, Chicharito not so good.

Manchester United can but it will take time to build them. Just like the players Ajax Academy produced. The time is the problem. These teams want immediate Success so they do not give their players time to grow and dump them along the way.

If not for Van Gaal, a coach who stick to the ethics of promoting young bright talents from the academies of the club he coaches, we would not talk of Rashford today.

What Bilbao is doing is achievable but teams are not ready.

Remember Guardiola coming in and stopping the buying madness of Barca. He promoted players and made Academy graduates regular. That team went on to perform.

At the end, our grassroot Football is too backwards when you compare to a place like Spain where all clubs at different League levels have quality academies with quality coaches.

The gap is too much that the U17 for home based development is a good idea.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:08am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

When you list our top Academy graduates of the whole country, one Academy like Valencia can have more top stars than them. The gap is too much.

Look at how many graduates are in the current Tottenham team. I think Sherwood said hehe worked with Harry Kane since Harry Kane was twelve. Deir, Bentaleb, Mason.

Even West Ham. Our boys have nothing close to it. The gap is too much.

Ok give me Watford, Stoke, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Swansea and a sprinkle of leicester.
If we go as a whole Nigeria is not far from England in graduating top professionals. They have players in one country we have players all over the world. Our academies help provide jobs for young men to help take care of themselves and their families. For every great English player u name i will counters you with a Nigerian past or present. No striker they have ever had was better than Yekini.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:10am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Ok give me Watford, Stoke, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Swansea and a sprinkle of leicester.
If we go as a whole Nigeria is not far from England in graduating top professionals. They have players in one country we have players all over the world. Our academies help provide jobs for young men to help take care of themselves and their families. For every great English player u name i will counters you with a Nigerian past or present. No striker they have ever had was better than Yekini.

I will use Swansea but you are the one to first give me a Nigerian Academy we want to use to compare.

Name the Academy and their graduates. That is the Nigerian Academy, then I will name graduates from Swansea Academy. I am waiting.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:12am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Are you saying Yekini is better than Shearer? Small small with your patriotism
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I am not doubting our talents. I am saying we succeed despite the challenges. They have better careers than us because things are easier for them. How many of our midfielders will you compare to Gerard.

I bet, if Okocha grew up in La Masia Academy, he will be a House hold name in every lips.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:19am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Manchester United can but it will take time to build them. Just like the players Ajax Academy produced. The time is the problem. These teams want immediate Success so they do not give their players time to grow and dump them along the way.

If not for Van Gaal, a coach who stick to the ethics of promoting young bright talents from the academies of the club he coaches, we would not talk of Rashford today.

What Bilbao is doing is achievable but teams are not ready.

Remember Guardiola coming in and stopping the buying madness of Barca. He promoted players and made Academy graduates regular. That team went on to perform.

At the end, our grassroot Football is too backwards when you compare to a place like Spain where all clubs at different League levels have quality academies with quality coaches.

The gap is too much that the U17 for home based development is a good idea.

U just answered ur own question, the teams cannot wait so the opportunities will not be there for the players. Pep promoted Thiago and took him to Bayern but who did he promote and make a star there? LVG the philosopher does have a track record with youths but Rashford came on because they had no strikers Rooney was injured and Martial pulled out just become kickoff, the boy wasn't even listed before the match. Honestly i put his story in the bilboa category, a miracle.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:21am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I am not doubting our talents. I am saying we succeed despite the challenges. They have better careers than us because things are easier for them. How many of our midfielders will you compare to Gerard.

I bet, if Okocha grew up in La Masia Academy, he will be a House hold name in every lips.

Pele said he could walk into the Brasilian team what more do u want from the guy?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Pele said he could walk into the Brasilian team what more do u want from the guy?

Okocha had the ability to perform at Messi's level. He had the talent but did not reach that height.

There are many players who did not have Okocha's kind of talent but their names ring ahead of Jay Jay.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:30am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U just answered ur own question, the teams cannot wait so the opportunities will not be there for the players. Pep promoted Thiago and took him to Bayern but who did he promote and make a star there? LVG the philosopher does have a track record with youths but Rashford came on because they had no strikers Rooney was injured and Martial pulled out just become kickoff, the boy wasn't even listed before the match. Honestly i put his story in the bilboa category, a miracle.

Guardiola promoted Busquets and made him a Barca legend before he left.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:33am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

[b]
Swansea their slacking but I do not blame them sha, their growing. Look at the list below.

ASTON VILLA - 7 players

Exciting youngster Jack Grealish has been getting plenty of game time for Aston Villa since progressing from their youth system, and he joins six other former academy players in the Villans squad who have featured in the top flight. Gabriel Agbonlahor is by far the most experienced of that crop - the club captain has made over 300 appearances for his hometown team - with the five being: Ciaran Clark, Gary Gardner, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Callum Robinson and Nathan Baker.

EVERTON - 6 players

Roberto Martinez has described Everton's emerging youngsters as a 'golden generation' and the Spaniard hasn't been slow to utilise the Toffees' budding talent in the Premier League. Defender Tyias Browning is beginning to earn more first-team opportunities, while the likes of Ross Barkley follow in the footsteps of team-mates Leon Osman and Tony Hibbert - the pair have made over 600 Premier League appearances between them since stepping up from the youth ranks. However, talented full-back Brendan Galloway isn't included as he made 10 first-team appearances for MK Dons before signing for Everton in 2014. The other youth graduates with Premier League experience are Luke Garbutt and Conor McAleny.

WEST HAM - 6 players

Mark Noble and James Tomkins are West Ham's most established youth team graduates in their first-team squad but the likes of Reece Oxford, Elliot Lee and Josh Cullen will be hoping to add to their current tally of Premier League appearances. In total, six current West Ham players have stepped up from the youth team to play in the Premier League, including defender Reece Burke who is out on loan at Bradford City.

CHELSEA - 6 players

Chelsea won the UEFA Youth League and, for the fourth time in six years, the FA Youth Cup last season, so undoubtedly have talented players coming through their ranks. John Terry is the only former Chelsea youth player in the current squad to have made more than 10 Premier League appearances but the likes of Ruben Loftus-Cheek and on-loan quartet Nathan Ake, John Swift, Lucas Piazon and Andreas Christensen will be hoping to make their mark. As will Isaiah Brown, who captained the young Blues to their double success last season - but he doesn't make our list as he played for West Brom in the Premier League as a 16-year-old before signing for Chelsea in 2013.

LIVERPOOL - 5 players

Five of Liverpool's current squad have stepped up from the youth team to play in the Premier League, including the likes of Jon Flanagan, Jordan Rossiter and Andre Wisdom, who is out on loan at Norwich City. However, Jordon Ibe, who played for Wycombe before joining the Reds academy aged 16, and Joao Teixeira, who joined Liverpool as a 19 year old, don't meet the criteria for our list. Even though Teixeira was voted Liverpool's Academy player of the year last season! Jerome Sinclair and Brad Smith are the other players who have made the step up.

LEICESTER - 4 players

Andy King and Jeffrey Schlupp are established first-team players at Leicester City who have come through the youth system, while former youth team captain Liam Moore is currently out on loan with Bristol City. Joe Dodoo is the latest starlet to emerge from Leicester City's youth team. He made his Premier League debut in August after netting a hat-trick in the League Cup against Bury on his first-team debut. Harry Panayiotou is also a Leicester youth product but, although he's appeared in the Championship, is yet to feature in the Premier League.

NORWICH - 3 players

Three current Norwich players have progressed from their development sides to play in the Premier League for the Canaries - however, two are out on loan at the moment. Josh Murphy and Jamar Loza - who were both part of Norwich's 2012/13 FA Youth Cup winning team, are with MK Dons and Stevenage, respectively. Another member of that victorious side, Carlton Morris, has featured for Norwich in the Championship but hasn't yet made a Premier League appearance. Of Norwich's current squad, Declan Rudd is the third academy graduate to feature in the Premier League.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10058264/hold-hold-hold[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:35am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Are you saying Yekini is better than Shearer? Small small with your patriotism

They were both great strikers but if i were to start a team i would pick Yekini, great strenght and clinical in front of goal.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39am On Mar 22, 2016
Pics from Swansea Academy.

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by tbaba1234: 12:40am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

They have a fair shot in the National team. The only place that is not open to them is the U17 because the European kids have better means to develop themselves as footballers compared to the Nigerian kids.

They can sacrifice the U17 for their less privileged brothers and join the U20 National team to make Nigeria team stronger. It is all for building a stronger Super Eagles and reducing the amount of Nigerian talented kids left behind.

I can agree with under 17 but only because we have MRI now to minimize age cheats.

Even then, if a good player comes for trials from abroad, we can not reject him based on the fact that he plays abroad.

From under 20 level, the best Nigerians should be selected regardless of where they play.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:42am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

They were both great strikers but if i were to start a team i would pick Yekini, great strenght and clinical in front of goal.

Shearer's accuracy was flawless. I will pick Shearer but, I believe most of our African top stars had better talents. Most times, they educated themselves as youngsters. That is why I see our current crop paving the way for more stars. We are getting more exposure. Our academies are growing and in few years, we will improve.

I feel Finidi who was one time the best winger in the World would have been better if he grew up in a top Academy like the Ajax or Arsenal's Academy.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:48am On Mar 22, 2016
tbaba1234:

I can agree with under 17 but only because we have MRI now to minimize age cheats.

Even then, if a good player comes for trials from abroad, we can not reject him based on the fact that he plays abroad.

From under 20 level, the best Nigerians should be selected regardless of where they play.

I can imagine how Bitter Alaba felt because he wanted to represent his country. He still reps us like he did when Bayern won the Champions League. Seeing Alaba with the Nigerian national flag hurt a lot of people.

That is where the sentiments came from. Why stop a kid from representing his country?

The truth is that the challenges for young Nigerians are tough.

On Sunday I was with a young footballer who played with Aaron Samuel when they were younger. He said their best player Victor was a striker who kept Aaron Samuel on the bench in all their top games.

The Victor today is not a star or professional player. When Aaron Samuel came to Port-Harcourt, he met this Victor and promised to talk to his agent to help him.

So we have talents left behind because of limited opportunities. So the likes of Alaba who wanted or wants to contribute to Nigeria should understand the challenges here.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by tbaba1234: 12:56am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I can imagine how Bitter Alaba felt because he wanted to represent his country. He still reps us like he did when Bayern won the Champions League. Seeing Alaba with the Nigerian national flag hurt a lot of people.

That is where the sentiments came from. Why stop a kid from representing his country?

The truth is that the challenges for young Nigerians are tough.

On Sunday I was with a young footballer who played with Aaron Samuel when they were younger. He said their best player Victor was a striker who kept Aaron Samuel on the bench in all their top games.

The Victor today is not a star. When Aaron Samuel came to Port-Harcourt, he met these Victor and promised to talk to his agent to help him.

So we have talents left behind because of limited opportunities. So the likes of Alaba who wanted or wants to contribute to Nigeria should understand the challenges here.

There will always be talents left behind, ALWAYS... Not everyone will make it. Choosing the best will only help your national team in the future because they have the best chance to succeed.

If Alaba was given a fair shot, perhaps we will be boasting about having one of the world's best left backs.

These guys are Nigerians too... Denying them of the same opportunity is like giving them up to other countries.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:02am On Mar 22, 2016
tbaba1234:

There will always be talents left behind, ALWAYS... Not everyone will make it. Choosing the best will only help your national team in the future because they have the best chance to succeed.

If Alaba was given a fair shot, perhaps we will be boasting about having one of the world's best left backs.

These guys are Nigerians too... Denying them of the same opportunity is like giving them up to other countries.

I think the problem came with how Alaba's agent relayed the message back to him. Alaba even thought it was due to logistics we did not accept him. If the agent relayed to him that we hardly take Foreigners for the U17 but the U20 is open, he might shave waited. By the U20,he was a Bayern player and he would have been key to that Coach Siasia's team that flopped.

They are Nigerians and many of them want to contribute. However the challenges we face here are numerous. What will do our National team good is them making use of the facilities available to them in Europe to boost themselves. Then fight for their place in the U20.

When we combine the stars from the U17 and these foreign Academies stars, after screening the best, we will have a monster squad.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (38) (Reply)

Muslim Fans Blast Ahmed Musa Over Kissing Picture With His Wife On Facebook / Poland Vs Nigeria: International Friendly 0 - 1 (Full Time) / Photos Of Beautiful Ladies Spotted At Russia 2018 World Cup Stadiums

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.