Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,419 members, 7,850,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:49 PM

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) - Sports (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) (86499 Views)

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup / Falconets Qualify For U-20 World Cup (Photos) / The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: U-17 World Cup (India 2017) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by edi287: 3:22am On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Ok give me Watford, Stoke, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Swansea and a sprinkle of leicester.
If we go as a whole Nigeria is not far from England in graduating top professionals. They have players in one country we have players all over the world. Our academies help provide jobs for young men to help take care of themselves and their families. For every great English player u name i will counters you with a Nigerian past or present. No striker they have ever had was better than Yekini.
Shearer?? Owen (before injuries messed him up) Linekar
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by safarigirl(f): 6:32am On Mar 22, 2016
tbaba1234:

He was eligible for Russia. It has nothing to do with skin color.
Russia is not England, is it? If we were talking of anywhere but England/France, it would be a different discussion
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:21am On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Shearer's accuracy was flawless. I will pick Shearer but, I believe most of our African top stars had better talents. Most times, they educated themselves as youngsters. That is why I see our current crop paving the way for more stars. We are getting more exposure. Our academies are growing and in few years, we will improve.

I feel Finidi who was one time the best winger in the World would have been better if he grew up in a top Academy like the Ajax or Arsenal's Academy.
i am having a tough time understanding ur reasoning. How can u blame Nigerian academies for anything. He made it to be the best in the world so it is mission accomplished. Can u blame ur school if u graduate get a great job and get fired 10 years later?

Yekini was our Moses, he just never got to see the promise land.
His accuracy was just as flawless as Shearer but Shearer was not half as strong. Injuries slowed him down simple and plain. I don't believe anyone who actually watched both would be so sure that Shearer was better.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:05pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

i am having a tough time understanding ur reasoning. How can u blame Nigerian academies for anything. He made it to be the best in the world so it is mission accomplished. Can u blame ur school if u graduate get a great job and get fired 10 years later?

His accuracy was just as flawless as Shearer but Shearer was not half as strong. Injuries slowed him down simple and plain. I don't believe anyone who actually watched both would be so sure that Shearer was better.

Is the quality of education you gain from Massachusetts Institute of Technology the same as what you gain from ABSU?

Yekini was a top player but if he grew up in better conditions and worked under better coaches, he would have done or achieved more.

If Success works under a better Coach and in a better team, he will perform better.

So a bright student in IMSU will perform better in a better environment. So I believe our stars who we celebrate and respect today would have performed better if groomed under better conditions.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Is the quality of education you gain from Massachusetts Institute of Technology the same as what you gain from ABSU?

Yekini was a top player but if he grew up in better conditions and worked under better coaches, he would have done or achieve more.

If Success works under a better Coach and in a better team, he will perform better.

So a bright student in IMSU will perform better in a better environment. So I believe our stars who we celebrate and respect today would have performed better if groomed under better conditions.
Yes and if Pele was raised in England he would have been god.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:17pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

And you believe every player in the world is operating at his full potential.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Do you think Isaac Success will improve as a player if he leaves Granada to Watford?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Do you think Isaac Success will improve as a player if he leaves Granada to Watford?

I want him to stay at Granada. He can keep improving there with a coach who knows and trusts him. Already PSG and Valencia are keeping tabs on him so he isn't doing that bad.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I want him to stay at Granada. He can keep improving there with a coach who knows and trusts him. Already PSG and Valencia are keeping tabs on him so he isn't doing that bad.

You want him to stay at Granada. He should continue working with the Granada Coach instead of working with a brilliant Quique Sanchez Flores at Watford
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

By the way, this does not answer my question. I did not ask what you want.

I asked you if you think Success will improve faster at Watford compared to staying at Granada.

I am waiting for your answer.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by justiz5(m): 11:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Good newz
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 5:30am On Mar 23, 2016
tbaba1234:
I like Umar Sadiq but as an Arsenal supporter, i am wondering why Wenger wants to buy an unproven kid, again.

Sadiq would most likely not play when he comes and would be loaned out.
Arsenal is trying to upgrade the under 16, under 18, under 19 and the under 21. We are now in category B from A hence the urgent need for upgrading.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 5:52am On Mar 23, 2016
Icon4s:

Exactly my point. He seems aggrieved. I loved Finidi die those days. He was at one point the best Right winger in Europe. He was with Ajax then with Nwankwo Kanu. Simultaneously then Amuneke was in Barca and was adjudged to be the best Left footed player in the World! Oh Glory days of Nigerian football. But see where we are today cry
When I remember Finidi, I always say "who is Figo, who is Beckham's father" I will argue it from now till tomorrow, Finidi was better than both players ( on the wing) but off course, he is African, that's his crime for not been recognised as the aforementioned duo.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 5:58am On Mar 23, 2016
forgiveness:

What we are saying is Amuneke or whosever is there should set his eyes only on the best. Osimhen and Nwakali might turn over out to be average when you compare them to Ross Barkley and Dele Ali. That's the point.

So, do you mean if we add Ross Barkley, Dele Ali, David Alaba and Jordon Ibe to our national team, they will not add value?

Who is better than Ross, Ali and Alaba in our present national team?
Na, from your list, only Alaba is worth it. Ross have been inconsistent, we can't say we have really missed much yet. Ali is in his first season. Wait till he shows what he is showing now again next season before we conclude.

If Kelechi was English, I am sure he would be playing more games and getting more goals and assists.

Compare Kelechi's game time and stats against that of Alli and Ross and you will see the wide difference.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 6:13am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:
When I remember Finidi, I always say "who is Figo, who is Beckham's father" I will argue it from now till tomorrow, Finidi was better than both players ( on the wing) but off course, he is African, that's his crime for not been recognised as the aforementioned duo.

When Finidi was bossing d Right wing in Europe Figo was jst coming up. Beckham, that one was still in d academies.

Finidi changed the role of a Right Winger. He invented the modern way of playing from the Right wing.

The old way of playing the Right winger (i was a Right winger) was to run as fast a u can towards the conner flag and throw a pull out to ur striker hu would be waiting to nod d ball into d net.

Finidi will from d Right wing drive d ball towards d 18yards box and either make d killer pass their or take d shot for a goal.He scored lots of goals for both club and country even as a winger.

He re-invented d Right wing play.Today strikers can play from d Right wing.

Welcome on board fellow gunner wink
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 6:18am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Na, from your list, only Alaba is worth it. Ross have been inconsistent, we can't say we have really missed much yet. Ali is in his first season. Wait till he shows what he is showing now again next season before we conclude.

If Kelechi was English, I am sure he would be playing more games and getting more goals and assists.

Compare Kelechi's game time and stats against that of Alli and Ross and you will see the wide difference.

Welcome on board.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:06am On Mar 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You want him to stay at Granada. He should continue working with the Granada Coach instead of working with a brilliant Quique Sanchez Flores at Watford

Yez.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 8:15am On Mar 23, 2016
Icon4s:

Welcome on board.
Thanks bro.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by forgiveness: 8:19am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:

But those boys are good too. I love Ross style of play.

If we add those three players to team, don't you think we have added more quality and competition?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Yez.

And you believe Iwobi would develop faster at Sunderland than at Arsenal.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 8:31am On Mar 23, 2016
forgiveness:

If we add those three players to team, don't you think we have added more quality and competition?
Personally and been a Gunner, I have lowered my expectation on English players.

I won't be surprised if Alli and Ross end up like Chamberlain, Walcott ( only the English ever rated him any way ), Wilshere ( still think he will come good ) among others.

There have been too many English players who end up disappointing and I won't be surprised if Ross and Alli end up as not all that. Why is everyone shouting about Alli for instance and no one seems to be noticing Eriksen in the same team or Mahrez in Leicester for instance?

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 8:43am On Mar 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That cousin is abroad with better opportunities than the other kids in Nigeria. He should use those opportunities to grow and make himself a better footballer. When he is at a top level, he is welcome to come and help raise the level of Nigerian football.

As long as he feels Nigerian.
I totally agree with you Joe, however, I think it will be better if the NFF just do not ignore them, talk to them, get someone to visit these players and reassure them.

Let them know they are valued and their time will come. Why do you think for instance Academy players hardly leave Arsenal unless Arsenal releases them? Because they need the needed reassurance from Wenger himself.

Our Under 17 should be made of the local boys but those foreign based within the age grade should be talked in order to prepare them for the under 20/21.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 8:48am On Mar 23, 2016
forgiveness:

No sane country regards winning U17 as a big thing. They focus on the highest goal. What only the big boys win. The World Cup.

Wait and see what they will win. Afterall, Alaba don win more than..... lipsrsealed grin
Djimi Traoré has won the Champions league, Ronaldo De Lima hasn't. And you may argue De Lima won other things, fact is, winning stuffs at club leave doesn't mean you are better than other players. Gerrard never won the Premier league, Anderson, Nani, Silvestre, Cygan among others did.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:03am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:
I totally agree with you Joe, however, I think it will be better if the NFF just do not ignore them, talk to them, get someone to visit these players and reassure them.

Let them know they are valued and their time will come. Why do you think for instance Academy players hardly leave Arsenal unless Arsenal releases them? Because they need the needed reassurance from Wenger himself.

Our Under 17 should be made of the local boys but those foreign based within the age grade should be talked in order to prepare them for the under 20/21.

I agree with you. Even though they are not called up, they should know they are part of the team and will participate in future tournaments for us.

That will give them a sense of belonging and future interest.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 9:08am On Mar 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you. Even though they are not called up, they should know they are part of the team and will participate in future tournaments for us.

That will give them a sense of belonging and future interest.
Exactly my point and this is why we lost Barkley to England. I am 100% sure if you let them know they are appreciated, even if they prefer England to us, you will manage to confuse them. For now, the decision is often easy for the players as they don't feel Nigeria ever wants them.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:10am On Mar 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

And you believe Iwobi would develop faster at Sunderland than at Arsenal.

are u saying Neymar would be better if the Brasilian FA had allowed him go to chealsea?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 9:14am On Mar 23, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I watched both albeit I only watched the latter part of Yekini's career ( I am 86ner but started watching football very very early due to an hitherto addict of a father ), I watch Shearer well enough too and can say he was better than Yekini. Albeit not a wide difference.

The only striker Nigeria had after Yekini shamefully was Obafemi Martins who due to age cheating never fulfilled his potential. Martins was all round unlike Aiyegbeni who was one dimensional.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 9:16am On Mar 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The English style of player will naturally help any Nigeria player. Success will do well with Watford. The techniques he has gotten from the La Liga and the Nigerian strength he has will give him an edge in the Premier league.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:19am On Mar 23, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Djimi Traoré has won the Champions league, Ronaldo De Lima hasn't. And you may argue De Lima won other things, fact is, winning stuffs at club leave doesn't mean you are better than other players. Gerrard never won the Premier league, Anderson, Nani, Silvestre, Cygan among others did.

but Alaba has been on the world 11 for some time now.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 9:24am On Mar 23, 2016
forgiveness:

I agree but we shouldn't force them to come and should never bring them to the Under 17 like you or someone else suggested. The Under 17 should be for the local boys. It is a developmental stage.

We lost people like Ross because we don't plan ahead. This is a Nigeria thing. We should have been talking to them long ago and I am sure, most of the NFF and coaching crew never knew he had a Nigerian father.

The NFF should simply employ 2-3 people in the top 5 major leagues to keep tab on players of Nigeria decents who are good and likely to become good, check on their development, talk to them, let them know they are been watched by Nigeria and will get their chance at the appropiate time.

When Patrick Owoyemola ( is that the spelling? )was chosing Germany ahead of us, what he said was he feels more valued by Germany than Nigeria. He played how many matches for them in the end? 1 I think.

Remember Gabriel Okosienme ( Can't remember the spelling, he played for Asec back then ), he ended up choosing Nigeria ahead of Ivory coast back then because NFF were in constant touch with him. Can we say same for the NFF from the days of Sango, Oneya and co?

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by amagunnerfan: 9:26am On Mar 23, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Yes, he has been because he is good and plays with a team that is equally good but we can't say because XYZ won ABC, he is better than DEF.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:29am On Mar 23, 2016
Now this comment really got me thinking. It's funny when I think of it... But I don't think Alaba has ever been on a Fifa/Fifpro World XI... Crazy isn't it? Hmm...

BascoVanVeli:

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (38) (Reply)

Muslim Fans Blast Ahmed Musa Over Kissing Picture With His Wife On Facebook / Poland Vs Nigeria: International Friendly 0 - 1 (Full Time) / Photos Of Beautiful Ladies Spotted At Russia 2018 World Cup Stadiums

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.