Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State (29863 Views)

Blaming Fulani Herdsmen For Benue, Enugu Killings Absurd!!! Sultan Of Sokoto / Taraba Judgement Wrong Based On This Section / Taraba Judgement Clear Miscarriage Of Justice – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2015
nedu666:
This election tribunal rulings are a small part in the game towards ensuring the north rules for ever. I have told u guys the rotation of power is dead. The north intends to do 16years on the argument that the south did 16years. Secondly, for Buhari's to be able to hand over to a northerner most likely a Fulani man, most likely el-rural, he needs to ensure the existence of one major party and other smaller parties, that will ensure a consensous candidate being adopted for the presidency just as abacha. All these fighting taking place is not about apc or pdp, it's about the Buhari's, elrufai and the north. If any of you know any top northern just ask him after Buhari's will power come to the south. And wait for his reaction. I tell u the south is in for one hell of a ride. By time buhari is done with pdp, he will face other power blocks in apc
That's where he will fail. ABACHA tried the same and we put him in his grave. If the President wants to test his power, then his wife and children should prepare for a life without a head.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by bokoarerams: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
What about Rochas, the political manipulation perpetuated by him and his inlaw after he lost out in his presidential bid should to be probed too. There was no clear primary election prior to his emergence as the APC Governorship candidate in Imo state.

2 Likes

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by philips70(m): 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

My Darling, thanks a bunch. It is time to review some of the arrangement of APC. The case of Orthom is glaring. I'm optimistic that the court will do the needful.

Whilst it will be good for the tribunal to do the needful in Benue as you posited, the question here is did such matters come up at that tribunal at all? Did the petitioners bring up such issues? The tribunal did not just rule on an issue that is not before it. Initially when the ruling was passed, gists went to town as usual about how the judges ruled on matters not before them and many pocket lawyers lit up Twitter timelines and Nairaland on how can they do such. It was later on we start hearing about INEC, during the course of the proceedings, submitted documents and proofs that there were no primaries at all in PDP for the elections. Question here is how did such issues come up at the tribunal when they were not entered as part of APC's petition as posited by the PDP?

Furthermore, I want to appeal to youths who wants to participate in politics to support this ruling in totality up till the supreme court, be you in APC or PDP. If you come close to anyone who have been struggling to get party tickets after spending huge amounts of money unsuccessfully you will know where am coming from. I have been close to several people who have been victims of this politics of imposition of candidates right from the grassroot to the federal level. Most times, after spending huge sums of cash even after encouragement from the same godfathers, you will be told to step down for someone from nowhere after endorsement from the powers that be. The painful aspect is that nobody will refund you the millions of Nairas already wasted. PDP took imposition of candidates to a very high level up to the extent they deprived presidential aspirants from getting their forms after paying huge sums of money and at the end of the day no meaningful primary was conducted. That was the height of intra party rascality. If that was done to presidential aspirants you can imagine how shabby they must have treated state level aspirants
When this ruling is sustained parties will be properly guided subsequently and imposition of candidates will gradually be a thing of the past.
Barcanista, you could be a beneficiary of this ruling very soon so I urge you not to fight against it. Many people in the PDP who have suffered from what am saying now are secretly being happy over this court ruling. It will help strengthen our democracy.
Bear it in mind I have nothing personal to gain whether PDP or APC rule Taraba state but the decision of this tribunal indirectly affects all of us as a nation.

May God bless us all according to you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
okay.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 08, 2015
The government of Buhari is really a bad one. In d last election campaigns, GEJ spoke in Lagos about three things this last presidential election was about. One of them was a choice between going back to d old sorry days of military autocracy and a future filled with great possibilities. For just hating GEJ from a minority, the Yorubas joined Hausa Fulani people to enthrone a bigot like Buhari in power. What u are seeing today is just part of the result of having such a man there.... From Biafra things to all these agitation here and there. Tribunal upturn elections to favour Buhari and all worth not. But a day of reckoning must certainly come. Buhari keep implanting ur Muslim and Northern brothers in power as it was d case during d military. The middle belt are ur puppets and errand boys. The southeast must remain ur conquered people... South South ur downtrodden but be sure it won't last forever. Buhari is a big disgrace to Democracy

1 Like

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by menxer: 12:35pm On Nov 08, 2015
arshavineering:
Somebody please remind me on how Amaechi became the governor of Rivers state. If the victory at the polls is attributed to the party, then the verdict on the Taraba gubernatorial election should have still remained in pdp; else Amaechi wouldn't have emerged the governor of Rivers state.

I stand to be corrected

That can only happen during PDP dispensation, when the Judiciary was without fear or favour, free of executive impunity. grin grin
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by leanalyst: 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
My question with this Taraba state judgement is that if he wasn't a valid candidate, why did INEC clear him to run as the PDP candidate? That should be an INEC and Jega question not grounds to sack a governor voted in by his people. This judgement was just a sham.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Atk1nson(m): 12:38pm On Nov 08, 2015
spot on @ TonyeBarcanista, I'm with you on this one.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by petrelli07: 12:38pm On Nov 08, 2015
hinwazaka:

The APC lawyers did not request for the judge to award the mandate of the election to their client, Alhassan. All they requested, was for the elections to be nullified, but the tribunal judges helped them with a bonus, by cancelling the election and awarding the mandate to the APC candidate.
From their arguments the PDP never had a candidate so all the votes acquired well null and void... The only thing to do in that case was to award the next party with the highest votes the certificate of return... FYI even if a rerun took place PDP wouldn't have a candidate..
did the other parties field candidates? even at the appeal court what would be the grounds for appeal? three letter word bro... TKO...

3 Likes

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by PassingShot(m): 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
arshavineering:
Somebody please remind me on how Amaechi became the governor of Rivers state. If the victory at the polls is attributed to the party, then the verdict on the Taraba gubernatorial election should have still remained in pdp; else Amaechi wouldn't have emerged the governor of Rivers state.

I stand to be corrected
Different scenarios! It was Amaechi that challenged his party on the grounds that he was in fact the authentic candidate and not Omehia, not any other party. As such the court was right to declare him the bonafide candidate in that election having proved his case beyond reasonable doubt.
In Taraba, no other PDP candidate took Ishiyaku to court for the conduct of the primaries. If any had done that, the tribunal could have as well decided such person as the winner of that election.

2 Likes

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by osazeeblue01: 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
Bring back our PDP. This APC came to share Nigeria.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by datribune: 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
UMAR GARBA HAS BEEN VINDICATED!. I remember when d then Acting Governor, Umar Garba was schemed out by d party big-wigs who shifted d primaries to Abuja because they knew if they held d primaries in Taraba state d delegates would vote 4 him. He warned them dat dis could happen but they were blinded by their usual impunity.
dis judgement is indeed a big blow to impunity & a giant stride by d Nigerian Judiciary.

1 Like

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by anytexy: 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
arshavineering:

I stand to be corrected
Thank God there are still reasonable people like you here Nairaland. You just spoke my mind exactly.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by dantori(m): 12:43pm On Nov 08, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Just yesterday, the Taraba state governorship election petition tribunal that sat in Abuja nullified the election of Governor Ishaku Darius of the PDP in favor of Hajia Aisha Alhassan of APC. The decision was based on the ground that Architect Ishaku Darius was not validly nominated by the PDP in contravention of Sections 78, 85 and 87 of the Electoral Act(EA 2010). Specifically, the tribunal held that the PDP never had legal candidate for the Taraba poll.

If we are to go by the judgement, then it will be fair for the Benue state election tribunal to nullify the election of Governor Samuel Orthom of APC because his nomination contravened S 78(b)(1)(2), 85(1) and 85(2) of the Electoral Act as well.

Governor Orthom's Illegitimate Nomination:
According to INEC's timetable for 2015 General election, primary election of candidate was slated for October 2 and December 11, 2014.

The APC Governorship primary election for Benue state was originally slated for December 4/5 2014, but it wasn't held. It was again shifted to December 11, 2014(deadline) but NO primary election was held on the said day. No report that any delegate participated in ANY primary election on that day. The party 'elders' settled for a consensus candidate before the midnight of the day. Even the pro-APC Nations Newspaper reported that;

"Chief Ortom emerged after other governorship aspirants stepped down for him at the end of a close door meeting brokered by the senate minority leader, Senator George Akume, in Makurdi."
www.thenationonlineng.net/benue-apc-settles-ortom-governorship-candidate/

In fact, the five other APC aspirants including, Emmanuel Jime, Mike Iordye, Akange Audu, Sen Joseph Waku and Prof Steve Ugbah released a statement on December 12, 2014 to REJECT the arrangement of the so-called party elders in Benue state (see here www.leadership.ng/news/394871/benue-apc-primaries-5-guber-aspirants-reject-ortom).

Further more, INEC was NOT present at the dead of the night to witness the illegitimate arrangement that was held inside somebody's parlour. Let us no forget that Goodluck Jonathan though a PDP consensus candidate, went through formal primaries to fulfill the Electoral Act.

APC Has No Legal Gubernatorial Candidate For Benue state:
Going by the above, the arrangement that brought Samuel Orthom as the APC candidate for Benue state governorship election contravenes sections 78(b)(1)(2) and85(1)(2) of the Electoral Act 2010.

Section 78 (b) (1)(2) of the Electoral Act states: In the case of nomination to the position of Governorship candidate, a political party shall where they intend to sponsor candidates:

(i) hold special congress in each of the Local Government Areas of the States with delegates voting for each of the aspirants at the congress to be held in designated centres on specified dates.

(ii) the aspirant with the highest number of vote at the end of the voting shall be declared the winner of the primaries of the party and aspirant’s name shall be forwarded to the commission as the candidate of the party, for the particular state.

The arrangement that brought Orthom never met the above condition. Hence, the APC technically has no candidate for Benue state governorship election 2015. There is no record that APC Benue delegates endorsed Samuel Orthom as candidate through voice votes or ballot box. There is also no record that INEC witnessed any Benue APC governorship primary election on or before December 11, 2014 which is in contravento to S85 of the Electoral Act.

The PDP candidate Terhemen Tarzor should have been declared as the legitimate winner of the election by INEC and the Tribunal.

INEC's and Judicial Glaring Hypocrisy:
The position of INEC on Taraba and Benue states reeks double standard. While they testified that they never witnessed ANY primary legitimate PDP primary for Taraba state governorship contest, the FAILED to testify same for Benue state. This issue though part of PDP's petition, must be seriously pursued by the PDP at the Court of Appeal to reclaim Benue state to the people.

The Petition tribunal in Benue state unfortunately dismissed the issue on "technical" ground in the rulling on September 21, 2015 in order to keep Orthom in power. This is double standard from the Judiciary. You can't nullify A and Uphold B when they bother on the same matter. I'm optimistic that the Court of Appeal will upturn the verdict.

What is good for Taraba should be good for Benue.!!!

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

Read the judgement of the Benue tribunal, it wasn't Ortom fault that PDP CANDIDATE could not prove his case, is he expecting the Judges to go help him get the PDP register of Ortoms Ward?

1 Like

Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
petrelli07:

From their arguments the PDP never had a candidate so all the votes acquired well null and void... The only thing to do in that case was to award the next party with the highest votes the certificate of return... FYI even if a rerun took place PDP wouldn't have a candidate..
It was not included in their requests, and so should not have been granted by the courts. If the PDP don't have a candidate for a rerun, all the more better for other smaller parties. The tribunal should have ordered a rerun, according to your analogy.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by MossLuv: 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
I wept the day i realised that nigeria's judiciaries is more corrupt than nigeria's police... Who ever think that this goverment will fight corruption holistically is dreaming and shld wake up frm his dream. What we are seeing now is not different from what we saw under pres. Obansanjo... Using judiciaries, the police and efcc to fight, itimidate his opponent and enemies. May God save our nation from these old-soldiers
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by toltee4real: 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
@op: tonyebarcanista: remember that Court is not a FATHER CHRISTMAS that dashes out gifts. if you did not ask for it it shall not be given to you.
Was is it part of the prayer as in benue state like Taraba state?
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by emamos: 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
princejayboss:

Though one day I disagreed with him must i must commend this guy.... This is what we need in Nigeria... Youths who are able to dig deep and get creative .... Some people who have tried putting on a 20 words will come here to call him jobless

Kudos bro... One day the young likes will have a say .... That moment when we send the old crimson elites to life jail ....
^
what will happen when d young becomes old
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
dantori:

Read the judgement of the Benue tribunal, it wasn't Ortom fault that PDP CANDIDATE could not prove his case, is he expecting the Judges to go help him get the PDP register of Ortoms Ward?
Read the Taraba judgement, the APC only asked for a nullification of the results, and not to be awarded the mandate. Why didn't the tribunal in Benue, extend the same courtesy to the PDP, that this tribunal did for the APC. Double standards.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Enifolabi(m): 12:47pm On Nov 08, 2015
I don't know why anti-Buhari people are insulting him on the outcome of Taraba election tribunal. The judgement was based on Nigeria constitution and that is what Judiciary is following. We can't remove politics from it because APC is showing PDP how politics should be by using a weak Nigeria constitution. The judgement surprised me but PDP made mistake of not putting her house in order. At least it was not APC that testified against PDP about the conduct of their party primary election in Taraba state. It is only when there is Unity in the house that you can defect enemies from outside. PDP should better wake up and unite before they go into extinction.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
toltee4real:
@op: tonyebarcanista: remember that Court is not a FATHER CHRISTMAS that dashes out gifts. if you did not ask for it it shall not be given to you.
Was is it part of the prayer as in benue state like Taraba state?
What was the prayer of the APC lawyers in the Taraba tribunal. Nullification or Nullification + mandate. If father Christmas is in this tribunal, why shouldn't he be in the Benue tribunal as well.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by ApcSucks: 12:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
This "jejune" and emotional article can only sway the herd of illiterates following you on Nairaland.

Let us for the Sake of argument assume the cases to be same:

The questions you should have asked yourself before coming up with this crap, you called opinion, were:

Did the PDP candidate in Benue State file his ground of petition on the "in appropriateness' of the primary election that brought up Otorm as a candidate?

If he did above, was INEC as an Observer, invited to testify?

If he did the above, did INEC aver at the Tribunal that no primaries actually took place?

Did he submit all the relevant documents to prove his case beyond doubt?

Or do you think the Tribunals are Father Christmas who decides cases based on hearsay?

Abeg Go sit down!

Otu nne gi dia
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Stevez32(m): 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
Franklyly:
I stopped taking the op serious wen he did wat he did few weeks back,ure no diff from our thiefy politicians............and yes I didn't bother reading Wat u hav up dia!

Sorry, but the OP doesn't even know you exist.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by sheunsheun(m): 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by ABDamola(m): 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

There is No way the court will contradict itself. It is either we lose Taraba and gain Benue or we retain Taraba and lose Benue.

I cn see dt ur knowledge in law in so low!
Judgement 4rm an earlier supreme court is nt a bindin precedent on d judgement 4rm a subsequent supreme court on d same matter... It cn only b a persuasive precedent!

It s only judgement 4rm a higher court dt cn bind d decision of a lower court cos dy r nt of coordinate juridictn!

Supreme court cn only overrule a previous judgememt 4rm supreme court only if d decision is made in error or by mistake
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
Enifolabi:
I don't know why anti-Buhari people are insulting him on the outcome of Taraba election tribunal. The judgement was based on Nigeria constitution and that is what Judiciary is following. We can't remove politics from it because APC is showing PDP how politics should be by using a weak Nigeria constitution. The judgement surprised me but PDP made mistake of not putting her house in order. At least it was not APC that testified against PDP about the conduct of their party primary election in Taraba state. It is only when there is Unity in the house that you can defect enemies from outside. PDP should better wake up and unite before they go into extinction.
Did any PDP candidate in Taraba drag Ishiaku and the PDP to court. No, so why should this tribunal sack him. The judgement surprised you, because you know it is illegal and unjust.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by nedu666: 12:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
hinwazaka:

That's where he will fail. ABACHA tried the same and we put him in his grave. If the President wants to test his power, then his wife and children should prepare for a life without a head.
. Abacha failed become of his approach, this one will not, just they observe. North will do 16 years. It's a joint project unlike abacha solo project
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by dustmalik: 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
PassingShot:

Different scenarios! It was Amaechi that challenged his party on the grounds that he was in fact the authentic candidate and not Omehia, not any other party. As such the court was right to declare him the bonafide candidate in that election having proved his case beyond reasonable doubt.
In Taraba, no other PDP candidate took Ishiyaku to court for the conduct of the primaries. If any had done that, the tribunal could have as well decided such person as the winner of that election.
You are wrong on the emboldened. What the tribunal has established is that, one, PDP conducted its primaries outside of the state capital, which is contrary to the electoral laws. Two, the primaries were also conducted outside of the timeline stipulated by the electoral laws. Either way, PDP automatically didn't have a candidate in the last election. So, the issue of granting another PDP the mandate doesn't come up at all. They are completely out of the race.

What PDP should have done was to endorse a preferred candidate within stipulated time and follow all due process. That would have saved them from all this brouhaha.

In the case of Benue, Otorm was unanimously endorsed within the stipulated time, so no issue there.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
dantori:

This was the same thing I asked him.
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
AZeD1:
Law is not mathematics so you can't use the situation in one case to judge another.
Have you ever wondered why some people steal and are given 6 months while the same crime committed by another person gets 5 years?
Re: Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State by hinwazaka: 12:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
nedu666:
. Abacha failed become of his approach, this one will not, just they observe. North will do 16 years. It's a joint project unlike abacha solo project
No region of the country can rule the country by itself alone. Sooner than later arguments and indifferences will erupt and then before you say jack, Buhari's circle of influence and friends will shrink to a few fools. The North can not repeat the past. In a military era, maybe, but in a democratic system, they can not. Especially in this modern day and age. The days of the North are over. Either they play ball, or we will bury them with their wives and children.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos LG Election: Protest Over Ballot Papers Found In Bus At Agege / ''''President Buhari May Leave For Checkup If There Is Need" - Femi Adesina / Photos From Rotimi Amaechi's 53rd Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.