Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. (5130 Views)

Lagos To Install 10,000 CCTV Cameras Across The State / Breaking: GEJ's Campaign Banners Destroyers Caught On CCTV Cameras / $470M Abuja CCTV-Cameras & Solar-Panel Packup After 6 Months (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by OneNaija(m): 10:13am On May 14, 2009
May 7, 2009
The Lagos State Government has installed about 90 Close Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras across the State to protect life and property as well as nab anyone who illegally uses the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lane.
Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, commissioner for Science and Technology, who disclosed this at a radio programme, added that the cameras have been used to arrest criminals who robbed a woman because the camera recorded the incident and the robbers were later arrested by the police because their pictures were captured.
Hamzat said Information Communication Technology (ICT) has been fully deployed by the State in carrying out many government activities in the area of health services, education, judicial process and obtaining of certificate of occupancy among others.
On the possibility of vandalising the camera, Hamzat said this cannot be too possible since the locations of the cameras are not known and due to the fact that the cameras monitor one another.
According to him, “if someone is trying to tamper with camera A, camera B is surely monitoring it. We will have what we call the ring toplogy, that is some will overlap, so that if camera A and B is checking a particular direction camera C and D will also be looking at 15 per cent same direction and 85 percent of somewhere else, so by that we have an overlap”.
He informed that about 80 schools in the State have been provided with Information Communication Technology laboratories in order to give students in the State secondary schools an opportunity to interact with the outside world and at the same time improve their knowledge base. “In this regard, science base teachers have been trained on techniques for teaching science based subjects to facilitate assimilation”, he said.
On the Health Management Information System (HMIS) introduced by the State Government, the commissioner stated that this will ensure the improvement of the quality of health care delivery services in the state.
He explained that with the development, the registration of all patients in Lagos State Hospitals on a Central computer server will eliminate queues usually found in the medical record in all State hospitals and doctors will have access to patient’s medical history anywhere within the state.
He said the first phase of the project started with 3 hospitals which were used for the pilot scheme.
The hospitals are Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja; General Hospital Isolo and General Hospital Lagos.
The link of these hospitals has been commissioned since last year while the second phase involving ten General Hospitals have commenced.
The hospitals on the second phase, according to him, include General Hospital Gbagada, General Hospital Alimosho, General Hospital Orile-Agege, General Hospital Surulere, General Hospital Badagry and General Hospital Ajeromi
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by kayc33(m): 10:34am On May 14, 2009
nice one
not a bad idea
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Aderoy(m): 10:50am On May 14, 2009
Thumbs up for lagos State govt. Afterall Lagos is blaze trailling the era of good governance in nigeria. I sincerely hopeother states will take a cue from Lagos. Governance is all about the opportunity to serve the people and not to "impoverish" them the more as obtainabale everywhere in 9ja.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by kshow1(m): 10:51am On May 14, 2009
eko o ni baje o !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by seyibrown(f): 10:53am On May 14, 2009
Good luck Lagosians!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by nipalm(m): 10:59am On May 14, 2009
Whats is happening with the development of Oyo State specifically the State Capital, Ibadan?

Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by lwise(m): 11:02am On May 14, 2009
No electricity in Caaso/Adura community in Ijaye-Ojokoro for the past six months.
Hope the cctv cameras are not to cover this area,
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Boslo: 11:11am On May 14, 2009
Good one.Other State should emulate this
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by SwiBRA(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2009
what ll the maintance be like wink
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by kalmebad(f): 11:19am On May 14, 2009
[color=#006600][/color]

A good development

Long May You Live Uncle Fash

Wish others can take a cue rather than embebbezling
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by solosimple(m): 11:26am On May 14, 2009
KUDOS TO THE FASHOLA LED ADMINISTRATION. I FEEL SO GOOD ABOUT THE ACHIEVEMENTS.
GOOD DAYS ARE HERE IN LAGOS, AND BETTER ONES ARE NEAR!
EKO O NI BAJE O!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Olubachar(m): 11:34am On May 14, 2009
Cctv cameras will reduce criminal crimes in Lagos state.

cry My Uncle was murdered 2Yrs ago in Lagos/Ogun state, this would've helped if this was in place.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by blacksta(m): 11:35am On May 14, 2009
what is main objective of this CCTV - is it crime or transportation easing.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by c33b33(m): 11:43am On May 14, 2009
lwise:

No electricity in Caaso/Adura community in Ijaye-Ojokoro for the past six months.
Hope the cctv cameras are not to cover this area,
grin grin[b]no worry na small small!am sure the cctv is at alausa,lekki,v.i, when will that of mushin,ajegunle,aggege and oshodi be added?[/b]
SwiBRA:

what ll the maintance be like wink
I hope lagos will change from the rest,"build and be able to maintain"
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by zamzekx(m): 11:48am On May 14, 2009
hope it is solar powered so the epileptic sickness of power holding does not cripple the good effort of your uncle fash. may such thing extend to other states so nigerians can really become good people, and nigeria great nation in turn. goodluck everyone.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by zamzekx(m): 11:53am On May 14, 2009
hope it is solar powered like saraki's so the epileptic sickness of power holding does not cripple the good effort of your uncle fash. may such thing extend to other states so nigerians can really become good people, and nigeria great nation in turn. goodluck everyone.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by emmax9: 11:58am On May 14, 2009
wink cctv is a welcome idea, thumbs up to our governor, oko o ni baje,
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by saturnjay(m): 12:03pm On May 14, 2009
eko oni baje!!!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by otanaworld: 12:23pm On May 14, 2009
THIS IS ANOTHER ENCOURAGING ACHIEVEMENT BY THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT, but my question is who has the power to reveal the identity of the criminals caught up in the eyes of the cameras? In the past we have had incidences of political assasinations among others in lagos state, hope the ICT men behind the cameras can show to the public images from the cameras in any such circumstance WITH NO HOLDING BACK.

May the cameras not be shut because there is one HOT NEWS in the mouth of one of them. May it not be only for car snatchers or Handset thieves or the pick pocketers at Bus stops. May it be another 'god' eyes watching over all lagosians never to sleep nor slumbber.

You can now go to sleep with two eyes closed oh! lagosian for there are eyes watching over the city while you sleep!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by oluwdashmi(f): 12:46pm On May 14, 2009
zamzekx:

hope it is solar powered like saraki's so the epileptic sickness of power holding does not cripple the good effort of your uncle fash. may such thing extend to other states so nigerians can really become good people, and nigeria great nation in turn. goodluck everyone.

I guess so cos lots of street lights are being changed into new solar powered street lights and it is extending into areas which never had too.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 14, 2009
I think their priorities are wrong. Any educated criminal will easily circumvent the cameras.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by itmax(m): 1:07pm On May 14, 2009
Well, its good. lets hope that fashola is raising someone like him to be the next governor.
And also his second term is definately sure, he has done so much for lagos. Eko o ni baje o!!!!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by GeorgeD1(m): 1:15pm On May 14, 2009
i hope they're solar powered o? because if they depend on nepa, they will fail o!
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Aderoy(m): 1:27pm On May 14, 2009
mactao:

I think their priorities are wrong. Any educated criminal will easily circumvent the cameras.

I am not entierly in agreement with your fears.  If you take notice of the first post you'll understand that the CCTVs were stacked at hidden location (and in most cases on tall building, I guess) in ring topology so that one camera partly keep at least one other camera within its view.  That means even if one of the cameras is being tampered with by miscreants, at least there is another camera to record such nefarious activity.  I wouldn't be surprised some of teh cameras are installed on tall Building along Mairna/Idumota/Idumagbo area (Lagos Island), abandoned Toll tower in Lagos, Tin Can Port/Apapa, any tall Govt-owned/privately-owned building in Ikeja Business District, etc.

In my own opinion, my main concern are the following:

1.  Long term maintenance
2. Continuity in form of governemtn policy
3. Legal backing in processing of images (for legal prosecution)
4. Storage and copying/transferring of iamges
5. Security of stored images.

My concersn are borne out of the fact that I work within the Intelligent Transport System In the Uk and monitring CCTVs, PTZ cameras and ANPR cameras (and their operation) are just some of the things we deal with within the industry.  If there is no cut and dry legislation to back up the use, storage, copying, transferrng of images, you'd be surprised on how easy lawyers will find loopholes to discredit evidence obtained from such equipment.  Coincidentally, I am currently dealing with these area in my project team for CCTVs on the M20 motorway in England. There's more to it than just sticking in the CCTV kit.  The legal aspect could take months/years to tackle.

Anyway, its a HUGE step for Lagos and must be commended. I hope the State could continuously build on this achievement with continuation of policy that bears direct positive effect on the lives of Lagosians.

Take a looka this- live CCTV view of Lagos:   http://41.222.68.252/ImageViewer?Resolution=400x300&Quality=Standard&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&Data=0&Frame2=PanTilt&Type=&Language=0&RPeriod=0&Sound=Enable.html
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Ilelobola: 1:31pm On May 14, 2009
How will they catch those using the BRT lane illegally? Are all cars properly registered so they can send a fine or the police to the owner's home? A good deterrent for robbery and other crimes though.

However, would be nice to read that the government is building homes/shelters for the homeless and there are no beggars on the streets etc because they have been taken care of by the government.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by zoomzu(f): 1:48pm On May 14, 2009
Eko for show, Re-branding without advertisement. Thumbs up for BRF
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by sunshine01: 1:54pm On May 14, 2009
eko oni baje
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by GeorgeD1(m): 1:59pm On May 14, 2009
You sure have a point, aderoy. Keep it up.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by FBS: 2:04pm On May 14, 2009
Hope they maintain it. Thumps up to LSG.
Valid points Aderoy.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by Thadude(m): 2:33pm On May 14, 2009
For the first time in my adult life i m proud to be a Lagosian.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by tymoti(m): 2:48pm On May 14, 2009
lets us forget that Nigeria has no reliable database to track any of the offenders. How do you place names and addresses to the faces you see.

plus we have a enforcement agencies that are disabled, sick and retarded.
Re: Lagos Installs 90 Cctv Cameras. by hilli666(m): 3:21pm On May 14, 2009
Tha_dude:

For the first time in my adult life i m proud to be a Lagosian.

Go, Michele Obama!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Don’t Have A Godfather – Fashola / Paraded ‘Presidential Directive’ On APC Is False - Abati / Braking:::dieziani Is Presently In A State Of Coma......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.