Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media (9999 Views)

Lagos Residents Go Topless To Protest Against Local Government Election. Photos / See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode / How To Report Any Nigerian Policeman Asking For Bail Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by Faheedat: 5:38pm On Nov 09, 2015
Officer,
If the matter is not reported on social media and the reporter become the accuse and the matter was swept under carpet that is to say the reporter may landed in police custody or prison yard. Give us your direct line and promise not to victimise nor turn the case round. Thank
Prince Adigun@Ayobo
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by tunesoft(m): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2015
Police is sooo sooo a joker....employ young tech guys to help u take advantage of the social media...them still want make we come they write statement. Abegi.....
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by DaBullIT(m): 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
[quote author=DONSMITH123 post=39842017][/quote]

USA and police forces world wide have used social media severally to arrest perpetrators and criminals

I see no reason why the Nigeria police are so blind to that fact

As a matter of fact i think they should have a special division for twitter and Facebook updates , dedicate a page on each platform to report crimes by , hashtaging crime , location and time it's being perpetrated so , that the special division will dispatch officers to resolve the issue

As much as i'd love and wish to see that happen It's not going to happen as long as those mowruns , illiterates and over zealous officers are still in the force, it'll never work

Imagine some erdyots claiming to be SARS went to a student's house, they found laptop , no modem , no notepad or files on desktop , but when they got to his bathroom and found white soap (from a Celestial church harvest ) in a white plastic , they concluded he's a yahoo boy and took him away to pay 60k for his release

That's the current trend in Osun, several cases have been swept under the carpet

My point being , as long as some people are still in the Force, there's no hope for Nigeria
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by fart: 6:31pm On Nov 09, 2015
Why not? They don't want us to expose their nyash? They don't want the world to see the true failures that they are? Nonsense.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by cecegorz(m): 6:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
Police should stop giving excuses and simply follow the trends to improve on their job delivery. This is the 21st century! Technology should not be seen as a impediment, but as an enabler.
I am very sure that the police have an official twitter handle.
All they need to do once they see a crime posted up is to simply follow the victim on twitter, request for more information on location, time, and description of the perpetrators, and then take it from there.
You can't sit down in your office in this age and expect people to travel all the way from the crime scene to come and report to you when they don't even have confidence that anything will be done, and on that you will be asking the victim to buy pen and paper for you to write the report, you guys should know that the police station is the last place any sane person will want to go, unless when it becomes completely unavoidable.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by bholuwatifhe(m): 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
No be Run dem go carry if na Strong Theif mata or clash...
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by FOREXMART(m): 7:30pm On Nov 09, 2015
I dey crase? The foolish fools will arrest you, put you in the media and accuse you of robbery.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by Horstin50(m): 8:04pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lol...
Na today nyash dey for back

Going to the station to report a case is like reporting yourself to the police for robbery.....

If dem no arrest you sef,dem go say if you want 1police to follow you bring #5,000
If you want 2 with Gun brin 10,000....

No be only police..
Any problem comes my way,I will handle it my own way without any capital letter problem
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by yhemsy62(m): 9:43pm On Nov 09, 2015
OnankpaBa:

Police?

The day i entered Abj late for the first time and i went to Jabi station to see if i can sleep there till the next day. Could you believe i was detained till the next day? Untill my elder brother came to bail me.

You better don't trust naija police.
I tell u my broda Men in black are Dangerous /Evil. Fear them
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by tk4rd: 10:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
DONSMITH123:
The Lagos State Police Command on Monday urged residents of the state not to report traffic robbery and other crimes first on social media but to the nearest police station.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Joseph Offor, who made the appeal on Monday, said the reports would help the police in strategising on how to combat crimes and forestall occurrence.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni, had lamented that Nigerians were fund of reporting crimes first on the social media.

He noted that reporting first to the nearest police station would help the police to prevent further occurrence.

He also spoke about how some distress calls were actually blown out of proportion and advised the residents to always verify their information before causing panic.

The PPRO added that making false reports of crime incidents on social media was a cheap blackmail against the leadership of the Nigeria Police.

“People should endeavour to report every road traffic robbery to the police station so that we will know who to hold responsible.

“This will help us to strategise and come against those people behind the crimes.

“We are not denying the fact that we have a couple of traffic robberies here and there but we have arrested some of the suspects.

“We have also prevented some of them that were about to be committed.

“When somebody is a victim of a crime, he knows where to go,’’ Offor told NAN.

“If you go to a police station to report, it will help us to have the statistics of crime being committed in that area; it will also help us in our planning.

“It will help us in our research but when people decide to report their cases to the social media, we see it as a cheap blackmail against the leadership of the Nigeria Police.

“And this is worrisome because it is not helping our statistics.’’

According to Offor, people making crime reports on the social media are not helping the system as planning and strategising cannot be based solely on statistics got from such reports.

Cc: lalasticlala

http://dailypost.ng/2015/11/09/police-urge-lagos-residents-not-to-report-crime-first-on-social-media/
If you report matter to police, you become a suspect.
Nigerians started the "crime alert" on social media, just to help other innocent citizens to avoid such troubled areas..
Telling the police won't help the innocent citizens that might want to ply that road who as a result may consider an alternative route.
It is left for the Nigerian Police to find a way to make this new "crime alert" thing to work them.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by lalaciousfellow(m): 5:58am On Nov 10, 2015
report to Nigerian Police. lailai. I dey craze. I was picked pocket last week at Oshodi bustop, thank God I was fast to c guy who did it. I held him and was shouting ole ole. a Police man was 2 yards away from me, looking at me. u now telling me to report case to police. make thunder fire Ma yansh if I do am.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by iukpe: 11:28am On Nov 10, 2015
DONSMITH123:
"People should endeavour to report every road traffic robbery to the police station so that we will know who to hold responsible".

The police should monitor the social media for latest reports, instead of looking for who to hold responsible for a robbery report.
Social media is how we all know how bad the security situation is today, meanwhile the police have been there all along.
Re: Police Urge Lagos Residents Not To Report Crime First On Social Media by dned: 12:49pm On Nov 10, 2015
DONSMITH123:
The Lagos State Police Command on Monday urged residents of the state not to report traffic robbery and other crimes first on social media but to the nearest police station.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Joseph Offor, who made the appeal on Monday, said the reports would help the police in strategising on how to combat crimes and forestall occurrence.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni, had lamented that Nigerians were fund of reporting crimes first on the social media.

He noted that reporting first to the nearest police station would help the police to prevent further occurrence.

He also spoke about how some distress calls were actually blown out of proportion and advised the residents to always verify their information before causing panic.

The PPRO added that making false reports of crime incidents on social media was a cheap blackmail against the leadership of the Nigeria Police.

“People should endeavour to report every road traffic robbery to the police station so that we will know who to hold responsible.

“This will help us to strategise and come against those people behind the crimes.

“We are not denying the fact that we have a couple of traffic robberies here and there but we have arrested some of the suspects.

“We have also prevented some of them that were about to be committed.

“When somebody is a victim of a crime, he knows where to go,’’ Offor told NAN.

“If you go to a police station to report, it will help us to have the statistics of crime being committed in that area; it will also help us in our planning.

“It will help us in our research but when people decide to report their cases to the social media, we see it as a cheap blackmail against the leadership of the Nigeria Police.

“And this is worrisome because it is not helping our statistics.’’

According to Offor, people making crime reports on the social media are not helping the system as planning and strategising cannot be based solely on statistics got from such reports.

Cc: lalasticlala

http://dailypost.ng/2015/11/09/police-urge-lagos-residents-not-to-report-crime-first-on-social-media/

Before u go police station to report please I advice u get money to bail urself and be ready for interrogation and also write down particulars about urself.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Eases Access To Student Loan In New Bill Sent By President Tinubu To NASS / Economic Truth About Why Jonathan Queued For Milk In 1983!! / ‘$1m Not Found In Badeh’s House’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.