Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

5 Greatest Living Nigerians - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Greatest Living Nigerians (9903 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo. Like Or Loathe Him, Is The Greatest Living Nigerian. / Nigeria's Greatest Living Legends / Stv:nigeria's Greatest Living Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 11:09am On May 17, 2009
Redman44:

@Krayola

Thanks for your deep thinking. I agree with you that Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi deserves more recognition for his efforts in designing Nigeria's flag. If the man was a Briton or American, he would have been honoured with his face on a postal stamp or an important street named after him. It shows how we appreciate people in Nigeria. Many Nigerians and the Nigerian Government have not really understood the gravity of what Pa Akinkunmi has done for Nigeria. This man is a hero that deserves to be commemorated in many ways. His creation is what is seen as the symbol of Nigeria. It defines us as a nation. That was why I was angry when someone on this forum said the Nigerian flag is rubbish

It was only Pastor Chris Okotie that went to visit the old man about 3-4 years ago and gave him about 1 million Naira. Chris Okotie also had his house repainted and gave scholarships to his children. You can conduct your research to know if I'm saying the truth. Well, I'm happy that a group of Nigerian Undergraduates have taken up Pa Akinkumi's cause by publicising his condition and seeking recognition for him. Cheers.

So tell me what recognition you know of that was made for the person who designed the UK, USA, Canada, Japan or German Flag, talkless of some idiotic concept that that makes the person the greatest.

You keep on opening your mouth and coming out with crap after crap after crap after crap, and you are telling others to "conduct their research".

These are countries that are some of the greatest and most admired in the world but yet they don't see some flag creation that recognises their statehood as the greatest thing.

Thinking is an Art and Science, and honestly, based on your posts here, you will not get a diploma in it.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by arramyjay: 11:43am On May 17, 2009
None.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by jalether(m): 1:51pm On May 17, 2009
yours truly ofcourse cool
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ILOCHUDI(m): 6:16pm On May 17, 2009
CHINUA ACHEBE
PHILIP EMEGWALI
DIM CHUKWUEMEKA ODIMEGWU OJUKWU
I think these three have done expectionally well to be called Nigerian legends
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nimshi: 6:32pm On May 17, 2009
ILOCHUDI:

CHINUA ACHEBE
PHILIP EMEGWALI
DIM CHUKWUEMEKA ODIMEGWU OJUKWU
I think these three have done expectionally well to be called Nigerian legends

Ok. So, what has Emeagwali - who, as has been mentioned already, is a fraud - done to deserve being named in the same list as Chinua Achebe?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 6:34pm On May 17, 2009
nimshi
Ok. So, what has Emeagwali - who, as has been mentioned already, is a fraud

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

could u plz explain to the nigerians what u meant ??
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2009
chinue achibe tribalist

hmmm

nawoo
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by adigun101: 9:10pm On May 17, 2009
GREATEST LIVING NIGERIANS MUST BE REVOLUTIONARIES.
Emeagwali is a fraud ! It irritates me to see this man being extolled by himself and a lot of Nigerians. Could we not waste any more time on this man.
Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe Great genuine internationally acclaimed individuals. They are revolutionaries because they put african literature on the world map
Wole Soyinka a man I respect should do more for aside criticizing in the national context.
Dora Akunyilu a revolutionary in assuring drug and food quality assurance , I think she should distance herself from the present administration.
Nuhu Ribadu wasn't perfect but is a revolutionary as he dared to combat corruption in high places.
Olusegun Obasanjo no where near perfect but but has had the most positive impact on Nigeria than any other as president (1977 -79 /1999-2007)
[list]
[li] Apppointed the likes of Akunyilu, Ezekwesili, Soludo, Ribadu who I consider revolutionaries.[/li]
[li] First president who dared to hand over to a civilian govt as a military president[/li]
[li] Successfully handed oversaw a continuation of democracy in 2007[/li]
[li] Indigenized Nigerias private sector in his  two terms as president.[/li]
[/list]
This man has a huge number of faults but he also has the highest amout of credits to his resume of any living polititian past or present. We need to give him more credit.
At the end of the day ojukwu did more harm than good to his tribesmen/ women and absolutely nothing for Nigeria as a whole.
Chukwuma Soludo revolutionalised banking in nigeria and as done a fatastic job on nigeria fiscal policies as long as you do not judge him as an economic minister.
[list]
[li] Foresaw the weakness in Nigerias financial sector (which many in America and Europe did not see) by shoring up the capital base , something which is now being recommended as a fallout of the bank stress tests[/li]
[li] Has been appointed into a global committee to oversee the new direction for the world financial systems.[/li]
[/list]
There might be more I have left out but I will like to see more individuals who have succeded in effecting some kind positive revolutionary change.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 9:18pm On May 17, 2009
adigun
Emeagwali is a fraud ! It irritates me to see this man being extolled by himself and a lot of Nigerians

pls explain

posted only 3post since april
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by landwin: 10:21pm On May 17, 2009
My list are

Kanu
Soyinka
What the heck is Aliko Dangote doing on that list,what does being the richest man in Nigeria got to do with being a Legend
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 10:26pm On May 17, 2009
@sagamite

Cant you see that no one on this thread is joining issues with you? People are just talking about their own nominations for the greatest living Nigerians. You dont have to agree with me that Pa Akinkunmi is a great man. What pissed me off is your belief that people do not have the right to give their own opinions on this thread. Like I said earlier on, I don't want to engage in a war of words with you. If you want to know what other countries are doing or have done for those who designed their country's national flags, please Amazon and ebay are there for you to look for books about National flags. Or you can do an internet search on the topic.

Stop flogging a dead horse. You will only put up a show of shame for yourself if you continue trying to diss someone who knows where he is going. Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 11:06pm On May 17, 2009
@sagamite

I've got some stuff for you. Pingali Venkayya designed the Indian Flag. He was a prolific writer, Japanese Lecturer and geophysicist. He died unhonoured in 1963. However, the indian Government has decided to do something about Venkayya's case. His daughter is now receiving a monthly pension and grant from the Indian authorities.

Seek for information online or in books and you will know the truth. Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 1:10am On May 18, 2009
Redman44:

@sagamite

I've got some stuff for you. Pingali Venkayya designed the Indian Flag. He was a prolific writer, Japanese Lecturer and geophysicist. He died unhonoured in 1963. However, the indian Government has decided to do something about Venkayya's case. His daughter is now receiving a monthly pension and grant from the Indian authorities.

Seek for information online or in books and you will know the truth. Cheers.

There is a reason why it is only you I am joining issues with. I don't know you from Adam, I have never encountered you on NL, so guess the reason as there are other views I disagree with but I decided not to join issues with them. So why do you think I am picking on you?

In regards to your example above, and so? Was he immortalised as some great man of India or something.

Take into consideration that:

1) He possesses other contributions to his society (writer etc) than just designing a lame flag.
2) As he was born in 1876, I will expect his daughter to be in her 90s, so the gesture is just sympathy.

That said, my issue with you is the logic that because a man designed a flag, he is the greatest man in a country. That reasoning level beats me.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by precap2(m): 2:06am On May 18, 2009
They didn't mention my living legends, unfortunately,
they are:
1. Mujaheed Asari Dokubo (for beating the FG in their game)
2. Ateke Tom (For having one ear and three heads)
3. Ralph Uwazuruike (For having nine lives)
4. All ex-Governors (For stealing too much)
Ah! One is already there!
5. Olusegun Obasanjo (For not stealing at all, and for successful rigging-free handover election).

And if you allow a sixth:
6. Atiku Abubakar (For cross-carpeting against his wish) grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 4:44am On May 18, 2009
@sagamite

So have you bothered to find out which year the Indian Government started awarding Venkayya's daughter the monthly grant and pension? You're trying to rubbish the fact that the Indian government retraced their steps and did something for the daughter of a national hero. Have you also tried to find out the other gifts that Pa Akinkunmi had and used when he was alive? I believe you are not in Nigeria at the moment, but anytime you come home, [ Nigeria has a bright future and by the grace of God, I will be one of those that aid her development ] take a trip to any of the National Libraries in the country and ask for the archives of Newspapers. go through the back copies of Newspapers and you'll learn more about the other exploits of Taiwo Akinkunmi.

Mind you, some of the National Libraries in Nigeria have good books and research materials. I have been to some of them eg the Akure and Lagos branches. I know where I'm going and no amount of dissing can stop me. I wish you the best in life. Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 4:48am On May 18, 2009
My father told me when I was six '' No matter how filled the sky is, there is always a place for the serious man ''

Cheers, fellow Nairalanders. Have a great week.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nimshi: 5:54am On May 18, 2009
ikeyman00:

nimshi

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

could u plz explain to the nigerians what u meant ??

Before a deconstruction of what Phillip Emeagwali has built up on the Internet about himself, you could start by thinking/telling exactly what Phillip Emeagwali has achieved.

Almost everything Emeagwali has said about himself is false. He claims degrees he doesn't have, achivements that're not his, patents that're not his etc etc

Here, a challenge: start writing the things you believe you know Emeagwali and let's sort out which are lies. If you could go far with that, you'd've seen insult of having Phillip Emeagwali's name on the same list on which you have Chinua Achebe.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 8:58am On May 18, 2009
^^^^^ i think u are telling lies shocked

u cant be serious
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by solosimple(m): 10:01am On May 18, 2009
Chinua Achebe Writer: No! He is very smart but what difference has he made?
King Sunny Ade Musician: Just a legendary musician and that's all - I AGREE
Enoch Adeboye Pastor : A great pastor but still wouldn't qualify to me - I AGREE
Dora Akunyili Minister of Information: done what?
Chief Emeka Anyaoku Former Commonwealth Secretary General: Why is he great? - I AGREE
David Dafinone Accountant: For wetin? Grin Grin Grin
Aliko Dangote Industrialist: Why is he great? Because he has put Nigerian Business on the Map! Now in the west investors take Nigeria serious, The FT estimated his wealth to be $10BN!! That means he is the richest Blackman on earth, we need about 50 people like this to realize Nigerias Vision 2020 .
Philip Emeagwali Computer scientist: - so what? He has done nothing for Nigeria.
Anthony Enahoro Democracy activist: My number one pick
Gani Fawehinmi Human rights lawyer: Another great Nigerian - GREAT!!!
Yakubu Gowon Former military head of state: Great for what? This is a ridiculous inclusion.
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children. so what? In England the footballers do this all the time its standard, he has been well trained by them.
Balarabe Musa Politician: Why is he great - Yes why?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979 + He left Nigeria Debt free + $50BN in the Bank + A solid Banking sector + Utilized our young talent like Soludo, Iweala. Whether we like it or not he has had a gigantic input into Nigeria - But he is not great.
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Biafran leader: He's an ethnic hero like Awolowo, No Awo was waaaaaaaay better look at what they left behind.
Anthony Okogie Cardinal of Mt Carmel of Mostacciano: Why is he great?
Hakeem Olajuwon Basketballer: This must be a misprint
Wole Soyinka Nobel Laureate: Hes Great!
Pat Utomi Economist: Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Akintola Williams Accountant: Why is he great? Yes why

Therefore: I picked: Gani Fawehinmi, Aliko Dangote, Wole Soyinka Thats it! picking any more would be condoning a weak, incomplete list I would include Soludo, Iweala, Fashola, Adenuga

Oh I forgot I would also include Yaradua and Iya Jamiu mama oniresi (JOKE! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin).

very close to my opinions
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nimshi: 10:09am On May 18, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^^ i think u are telling lies shocked

u cant be serious

Ok. Let's start here.

1) Emeagwali has no PhD, neither is he a medical doctor. So, where's the source of his answering to the "Dr." title?
2) Find the websites proclaiming Emeagwali a genius, and this is what you'll find: those websites are either owned by him or his wife, or are websites that link to websites that link to his website and/or his wife's website.
3) Cite the scientific journals in which Emeagwali's work has been published; could you?
4) He claims to have 41 (or a number around that) patents. Lie. If there's one patent to his name, let's see it.
5) Why is it that he claims to be a scientist, yet his website has links to interviews, family photos, poems written by him and by others for him? Where's the scientific work?

To start out, take a look at Chioma K. Ezeilo's excellent articles:

1) http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov05.html : Self-Promotion and Self-Authentication: the Abuse of Cyber pseudo-Anonymity: Part 1 A Certain "Biafra House"

2) http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html: Self-Promotion and Self-Authentication: the Abuse of Cyber pseudo-Anonymity: Part II "Father of the Internet"

When you're done, we could take a closer look at several other Phillip Emeagwali myths.

There're serious scientists from Nigeria; Emeagwali is not one of them. In fact, in the realm of academics, I'm yet to encounter another fellow who's done so much to ruin the reputation of Nigerians in academia in Europe & North America; serious scientists & researchers do not take this man seriously; and we had to find out in a hard and almost disgraceful way. . .  Emeagwali is a shame, and he has actively promoted these lies. Only people who'll take a fraud for a hero would take him seriously.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by solosimple(m): 10:18am On May 18, 2009
In context of this discuss, A great man/woman is someone who has contributed immensely to the up-building of the nation and who's contribution is positively felt by the citizens of the nation. so who can we actually call great?

In South Africa, Mandella is recognized by all (even all over the world) as a living legend.

The presence of five of such people should turn this country around for good. But here we are in our poor state.
In my opinion, I don't think we have up to five of such people in Nigeria. Maybe we have just one or non.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by erekere(m): 10:52am On May 18, 2009
Well i think we should all be careful with what we type on this forum that is a warning to all of you calling a man of God names he Pastor Adeboye) did not pay anybody money to vote him as the greatest man in the country i am so sure that if interview, he wouldn't want to be mentioned at all.
@ Topic,
From my own point of view,before somebody can be name or regarded as a living legend he or she must have contributed immensely to the growth of other people and his or her community so i think there are so many argument that i think is not enough to name someone as a legend so for me choosing from the list it will have to be these people.
1.GANI FAWEHINMI For his contribution to the rule of law and fight against corruption in the country.
2.FASOLA: For his awesome work he is currently doing in Lagos at times i ask myself if it is not the same money he is spending now that others get.
3.PROF.WOLE SOYINKA:This is one of the best man the country has ever known portraying the good image that this country deserve in and outside the country.
4.MICHAEL ENAHORO: One of the few that fought for independence and still living well, i think this man deserve been mentioned.
5.PASTOR ADEBOYE:Thought very well before putting this man name but, looking at it critically this is one of the greatest man of God this country has ever seen and he has help strengthen the faith of ordinary Nigerian in believing that good things can actually come out of this country.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by mmaks: 11:11am On May 18, 2009
Omoyele Sowore, the publisher of SaharaReporters.

He is the greatest living Nigerian as far as I am concerned.

i concur totally the others apart from Kanu are just not legend materials as far as this contry's state is concerned
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by mmaks: 11:34am On May 18, 2009
So what?

Na flag we go chop?

Person paint paper green white green, and now he has become a legend
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 1:45pm On May 18, 2009
erekere:

Well i think we should all be careful with what we type on this forum that is a warning to all of you calling a man of God names he Pastor Adeboye) did not pay anybody money to vote him as the greatest man in the country i am so sure that if interview, he wouldn't want to be mentioned at all.
@ Topic,
From my own point of view,before somebody can be name or regarded as a living legend he or she must have contributed immensely to the growth of other people and his or her community so i think there are so many argument that i think is not enough to name someone as a legend so for me choosing from the list it will have to be these people.
1.GANI FAWEHINMI For his contribution to the rule of law and fight against corruption in the country.
2.FASOLA: For his awesome work he is currently doing in Lagos at times i ask myself if it is not the same money he is spending now that others get.
3.PROF.WOLE SOYINKA:This is one of the best man the country has ever known portraying the good image that this country deserve in and outside the country.
4.MICHAEL ENAHORO: One of the few that fought for independence and still living well, i think this man deserve been mentioned.
5.PASTOR ADEBOYE:Thought very well before putting this man name but, looking at it critically this is one of the greatest man of God this country has ever seen and he has help strengthen the faith of ordinary Nigerian in believing that good things can actually come out of this country.

You mean good things like acquiring private jet whilst milking you every friday night and blocking the expressway?

Halleluja!!! Amen! shrepotopotopotopoto, manakatakatakata
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ujunel: 4:20pm On May 18, 2009
it is better to shut up if you have nothing meaningful to say than to abuse a man of God for no just cause, afterall he did not vote himself nor did he beg to be included among the living legends.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On May 18, 2009
ujunel:

it is better to shut up if you have nothing meaningful to say than to abuse a man of God for no just cause, afterall he did not vote himself nor did he beg to be included among the living legends.

I do have something very meaningful to say and I am saying it.

Your man of Con God is milking you to the tithe teeth and living large. USE YOUR HEAD!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by oliidell(m): 6:34pm On May 18, 2009
Let me refresh ur minds al u young landers who hasnt taken d pain to go thru NAija's History.

Pa Enahoro- Risked persecution &Moved the motion for Naija's Independece. He has since been relegated to d background.

Gani Fawehinmi- risked his life and suffered untold persecutions in Military Regimes in his tireless fight for Justice.

Wole Soyinka- Put paid the Notion that Afro-Africans are intellectually bankrupt by winning the Nobel prize for LITREATURE IN 1986.

In moi opinion, these three ppl Rank highest. the rest of them are ppl of stature though, but they havnt attained the LEGEND status.

Baba 70 wud hav made the list had he bin here.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 7:39pm On May 18, 2009
Sorry house, I made a mistake in my last post on this thread. Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi is still alive. Anyway, I have closed the issue. Thanks.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by kshow1(m): 9:25am On May 19, 2009
@ poster: my take on this is that peoples vote is based on their perception of the nominated legends.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by chinesedoll(f): 8:18am On May 20, 2009
WOLE SOHINKA
AGBANI DAREGO
PHILIP EMEGWALI
CHINUA ACHEBE
GANI FAWEHINMI

Agbani Darego ke?

b4 u start to yarn dust
give me the meaning of the word Legend

[quote]A Legend is one whose lifetime activities or contributions to the advancement of society fit into the realm of a myth, prodigy or fable.
It is like a story, too good to be true.
To qualify for a legend, it is expected that ones achievements and contributions to the society must be consistent and span over a period of time, considerably.

It is doubtful if a 10 or 12 year achievement would qualify one to be called a legend.
Also, such achievements or contributions must be without Wax i.e. not a patch work, have not been condemned in any quarters and one that should be encouraged to continue in the interest of the society.

A Legend is forever, thus a living legend is one who has satisfied the above criteria and very importantly, advanced in age, nearing his God’s giving time on earth, thereby leaving very little time for any possible pollution of achievements. In other words, one cannot be a legend today and tomorrow, becomes a non-legend
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by agabaI23(m): 11:54am On May 21, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I love this list! Powerful, and a winner any day!

There are 15,504 possible lists of five from the twenty names given. The above is the best!

Permutation and combination

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News / Jonathan Confesses:ibb Is My Father (role Model)-like Father Like Son / Newly Transferred To Gusau In Zamfara State.. Need Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.