Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

5 Greatest Living Nigerians - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Greatest Living Nigerians (9891 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo. Like Or Loathe Him, Is The Greatest Living Nigerian. / Nigeria's Greatest Living Legends / Stv:nigeria's Greatest Living Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 8:11pm On May 15, 2009
@sagamite

The other day, you were arguing pointlessly that no one in England reads e-books. Today, you're saying that Pa Akinkunmi's flag [ the flag which Nigeria's uses ] is rubbish. I only have one advice for you, mate. If you go on talking like this, you wont amount to anything. I can assure you of that. I'm not going to engage in a battle of words with you, because I cant stand people who are shallow minded. Your comments make me sick. The same flag you're condemning was and is highly rated by graphic designers for it simplicity and backgound intonations. Every flag carries a message, mate. Look at the English flag, do you know what it means? It is the cross of St George. What about the American Flag? The stars and stripes.  Are those two flags better than the Nigerian flag? stop being a bully on Nairaland and learn to be open minded. Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by MrCrackles(m): 8:12pm On May 15, 2009
khai_khai:

Nairaland has a banner?? shocked

grin cheesy grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 8:15pm On May 15, 2009
khai_khai:

Com'on, don't be a dictator. Their opinions just suck, that's why you have trash bags.

True, that is another approach.  grin

Redman44:

@sagamite

The other day, you were arguing pointlessly that no one in England reads e-books. Today, you're saying that Pa Akinkunmi's flag [ the flag which Nigeria's uses ] is rubbish. I only have one advice for you, mate. If you go on talking like this, you wont amount to anything. I can assure you of that. I'm not going to engage in a battle of words with you, because I cant stand people who are shallow minded. Your comments make me sick. The same flag you're condemning was and is highly rated by graphic designers for it simplicity and backgound intonations. Every flag carries a message, mate. Look at the English flag, do you know what it means? It is the cross of St George. What about the American Flag? The stars and stripes.  Are those two flags better than the Nigerian flag? stop being a bully on Nairaland and learn to be open minded. Cheers.

OK, the flag has meaning, that makes the man great?  undecided

khai khai, abeg pass me a spare trash bag.  grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 8:19pm On May 15, 2009
saxywale:

I will vote for Kanu Nwankwo, for setting up the kanu heart foundation for the less priviledged in the society, good man smiley
A pastor is the odd one out on that list at all, especially daddy g.o(Praise on the high seas, enter with your 7,000 US DOllars). He is a business man just like Aliko dangote, grin

I would say even better than Dangote because his own approach of getting his money is easier. grin grin grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Afaukwu: 8:20pm On May 15, 2009
nolongTing:

Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children. so what? In England the footballers do this all the time its standard, he has been well trained by them.

Is Kalu just a footballer? I thought he was also involved in philantrophy and has helped pay the medical bills of scores of heart-in-the-hole Nigerian kids abroad? At his age he did all that. So what is left?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by BenHundred(m): 8:21pm On May 15, 2009
Wole Soyinka
Fela Kuti
Chinua Achebe
Kanu Nwankwo
And me grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by tayo4me(f): 8:23pm On May 15, 2009
Honestly am annoyed Adeboye is on dat list, and to think he's leading again!!!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Afaukwu: 8:23pm On May 15, 2009
Kanu Nwankwo
Ojukwu
Wole Soyinka
Chinua Achebe
Gani Fawehinmi
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 8:28pm On May 15, 2009
Nwankwo Kanu Footballer: He went outside his comfort zone for Nigerian children. so what? In England the footballers do this all the time its standard, he has been well trained by them.
We are not talking about the english, rather we are talking about Nigerians here. How many professional athletes have done what he has done with his money besides flashing cars and chasing women?. If you want to use international standards here then, many of the people you agreed upon will be worthless when you compare them to the likes of Gandhi, Martin Luther, Winston Churchill, Mandela, mother Theresa, Theodore Roosevelt etc.

Dora Akunyili: done what?
Olusegun Obasanjo Former president: May be for handing over to civilian govt in 1979 + He left Nigeria Debt free + $50BN in the Bank + A solid Banking sector + Utilized our young talent like Soludo, Iweala.  Whether we like it or not he has had a gigantic input into Nigeria - But he is not great.
Why disengage Dora and engage Obasanjo?. She also achieved her own feat using her portfolio. Her portfolio was not as big as Obasanjo's own but on the average the achieved the same result.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 8:33pm On May 15, 2009
@Nairalanders

I'm not against any of you that picked people on Sola Odunfa's list as their greatest living Nigerian. This is a free world. Come to think of it, is Nairaland not a site for differing thoughts and opinions? I will now give my reasons for choosing Pa Taiwo Akinkinmi as the greatest living Nigerian

1. He designed the Nigerian Flag: Countries use flags as their National Symbols. Citizens of other countries recognize Nigeria with her flag. If you paint the american or english flag on your cheek, people will recognize you as a Nigerian. The Nigerian Flag is the identity of our country. Almost everyone on the given list would have come in contact with the Nigeria Flag. The Flag is evn flown at the Redemption Camp and at our embassies worldwide.

2. Pa Taiwo Akinkumi left Britain to come back to Nigeria. He was educated in England. This man is a patriot to the core. He has said in interviews that he had opportunities to stay back in London but he chose to return to his country of birth. He is a humble man whose name can never be wiped away from the archives of Nigeria. He is not outspoken about his poor living conditions, but he still pricks the conscience of Nigerians.

3. The Nigerian Flag defines us a people everywhere we go. It is a very important national symbol. Other countries fly our flags at ceremonies. Do you know that many countries honour and take care of their flag designers greatly? Those who are mocking me should head to the british museum to check things out for themselves.

Pa Taiwo deserves to be on the list that was drawn up on this thread. Please conduct your research well. Thanks.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 8:36pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

We are not talking about the english, rather we are talking about Nigerians here. How many professional athletes have done what he has done with his money besides flashing cars and chasing women?. If you want to use international standards here then, many of the people you agreed upon will be worthless when you compare them to the likes of Gandhi, Martin Luther, Winston Churchill, Mandela, mother Theresa, Theodore Roosevelt etc.

That's the whole point, I will not lower my standards just because its Nigeria we must demand the BEST!  Kanu kicks a ball up and down and gives to the poor - well he is suppose to!  Wole Soyinka, Dangote and Gani Fawehinmi are up there with all of the people you mentioned.  You must make sure you don't let Oyinbo brainwash you either.  For example what is great about Mandela? He went to prison for 25 years then came out and said I forgive you! That's why they love him.  Mugabe did that before Mandela and they loved him, then he tried to get stolen land back from the white minority and then Oyinbo (Worldwide) turned him into a Villain overnight.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 8:39pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why disengage Dora and engage Obasanjo?. She also achieved her own feat using her portfolio. Her portfolio was not as big as Obasanjo's own but on the average the achieved the same result.

Yes you are right its the Magnitude! Obasanjo could have been the greatest of them all if he resolved the power failures and left a solid voting system in place - he just couldn't close the show grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by toxicguy: 8:41pm On May 15, 2009
gen buhari
ibb
victor malu
mohamed marwa
sani gwarzo

and the person who would have topped the list but unfortunately, is not alive: ABACHA
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 8:42pm On May 15, 2009
toxicguy:

gen buhari
ibb
victor malu
mohamed marwa
sani gwarzo

and the person who would have topped the list but unfortunately, is not alive: ABACHA

Do you mean they should be nominated for the greatest failures of all time? wink
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by AloyEmeka9: 8:44pm On May 15, 2009
That's the whole point, I will not lower my standards just because its Nigeria we must demand the BEST!  Kanu kicks a ball up and down and gives to the poor - well he is suppose to!
Kanu is supposed to give all his money to the poor?. Are you kidding me?. Have you given all your money to the poor or don't you think the little you have will make a difference in some people's lives?.

Wole Soyinka, Dangote and Gani Fawehinmi are up there with all of the people you mentioned.  You must make sure you don't let Oyinbo brainwash you either.

These people fought for a cause except Dangote who is just an ordinary businessman. May be you may include him as an entrepreneur that employed thousands of Nigerians. Gani, Falana, Obiora, Tinubu, Enahoro, Soyinka for for democracy in Nigeria and that will be well noted.

[b]
For example what is great about Mandela? He went to prison for 25 years then came out and said I forgive you! [/b]That's why they love him.  Mugabe did that before Mandela and they loved him he tried to get stolen land back and then Oyinbo turned him into a Villain overnight.
Mandela fought for and nearly died for apatheid and his kinsmen are now enjoying freedom in south Africa because of men like him and others. You want him to tell Botha and co to go to hell?. Forgiveness seems to be the only option for him in order to wage through politically and economically. Quite unlike others, he fought for the rights of blacks and the integration of the races quite unlike men like Zuma that belives in segregated south Africa as the only way out. Watch Zuma drag south Africa to the muds.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by toxicguy: 8:46pm On May 15, 2009
failures keh. tell me what is better now than those good old days
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 15, 2009
Vanguard and Silverbird are outta their minds.
WTF is great 'bout most of these people?

KANU
SOYINKA
GANI.

Every other person is irrelevant to Nigeria.
My opinion.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Redman44(m): 8:57pm On May 15, 2009
This is my own list of the 5 greatest living Nigerians. You don't have to accept my list.

1. Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi: He designed the Nigerian flag which defines us as Nigerians.
2. Pa Anthony Enahoro: He fought for our independence with vigour and a great attitude.
3. Kanu Nwankwo: He led a team of determined guys to record the greatest victories in our footballing history. He put in an amazing display to earn us the Olympic Soccer Gold [ our greatest soccer achievement to date ].
4. That girl from Benue state who won a grant to go to a space simulation program [ NASA, USA ] about three years ago. She is the only Nigerian to have done that. I cant remember her name now.
5. Wole Soyinka: For winning the only Nobel Prize for Nigeria in Literature.

Cheers.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by chuxy12(m): 8:58pm On May 15, 2009
Hi,
To my mind the greatest Nigerian living are ; grin

1. Umaru Dikko

2. Ibrahim B. Babangida

3. Alamessiagha

4. Tony Anenih

5. Baba Sege(chairman)
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by MrCrackles(m): 8:59pm On May 15, 2009
Redman44:

This is my own list of the 5 greatest living Nigerians. You don't have to accept my list.

1. Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi: He designed the Nigerian flag which defines us as Nigerians.

So what?

Na flag we go chop?

Person paint paper green white green, and now he has become a legend? shocked shocked grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by nolongTing: 9:01pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Kanu is supposed to give all his money to the poor?. Are you kidding me?. Have you given all your money to the poor or don't you think the little you have will make a difference in some people's lives?.
Oh no! I did not mean that he should give all of his money away oh! I am a fan of Kanu and he is to me the greatest Nigerian football player, but if the criteria is people who made a difference to Nigerians as a whole a sportsman will have to transcend sport.  For example Manny Pacquiao of the Phillipines makes a difference to the lives of his fellow country men.  I believe we need role models that can achieve at standards respected by the whole world.

Business men are an indispensable part of any nation, Dangote creates thousands of jobs and as a result oils the machinery needed to lift the country out of its current predicament.  Look at any wealthy nation in the top ten they hold their entrepreneurs in very high regard.  I am not doubting Mandela's credentials as a freedom fighter but why is he the only freedom fighter that oyinbos like?
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by kingbru(m): 9:04pm On May 15, 2009
the greatest nigerians alive?, the answer is you and i, no long thing!!!!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by toxicguy: 9:11pm On May 15, 2009
five greatest nigerians dead or alive in order:   ABACHA
                                                                          IBB
                                                                          BUHARI
                                                                          MARWA
                                                                          VICTOR MALU

FIVE GREATEST AFRICANS DEAD OR ALIVE IN ORDER:   ABACHA
                                                                                     GADDAFI                                                                                      
                                                                                     JERRY RAWLINGS
                                                                                     MANDELA
                                                                                     IDI AMIN

FIVE GREATEST IN THE WORLD IN ORDER:  BIN LADEN
                                                                   HITLER
                                                                   SLOBODAN MILOSEVIC                
                                                                   FIDEL CASTRO
                                                                   CHE GUEVARA

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. THEY'RE PEOPLE WHO FIGHT/FOUGHT FOR THE RIGHT CAUSE.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 9:31pm On May 15, 2009
Keep it short now.

The longer you type, the more we will suffer from your AK47 english.

sagamite

cheap shot

not suprised doe,

come again slowpoke
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 9:39pm On May 15, 2009
Therefore: I picked: Gani Fawehinmi, Aliko Dangote, Wole Soyinka   Thats it! picking any more would be condoning a weak, incomplete list I would include Soludo, Iweala, Fashola, Adenuga

why do yoruba people talk alot about gani fawehini; continuous talking no action; abeg make i hear word

wole soyinka, my ass chinue achibe command more audience than him, atleast his name keeps the flag flying

as for the looters like aliko and adenuga, yes cuz they invested their money in nigeria period, unlike sagamite's uncle that squander our money in swizz a/c
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by ikeyman00(m): 9:43pm On May 15, 2009
five greatest nigerians dead or alive in order: ABACHA
IBB
BUHARI
MARWA
VICTOR MALU

FIVE GREATEST AFRICANS DEAD OR ALIVE IN ORDER: ABACHA
GADDAFI
JERRY RAWLINGS
MANDELA
IDI AMIN

FIVE GREATEST IN THE WORLD IN ORDER: BIN LADEN
HITLER
SLOBODAN MILOSEVIC
FIDEL CASTRO
CHE GUEVARA

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. THEY'RE PEOPLE WHO FIGHT/FOUGHT FOR THE RIGHT CAUSE.

take it or leave it toxic-morons on the loose!!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 9:57pm On May 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Even though Obasanjo did quite well, Dora did far better in what she had to do. She will definitely come before him in my books.

Redman44:

@Nairalanders

I'm not against any of you that picked people on Sola Odunfa's list as their greatest living Nigerian. This is a free world. Come to think of it, is Nairaland not a site for differing thoughts and opinions? I will now give my reasons for choosing Pa Taiwo Akinkinmi as the greatest living Nigerian

1. He designed the Nigerian Flag: Countries use flags as their National Symbols. Citizens of other countries recognize Nigeria with her flag. If you paint the american or english flag on your cheek, people will recognize you as a Nigerian. The Nigerian Flag is the identity of our country. Almost everyone on the given list would have come in contact with the Nigeria Flag. The Flag is evn flown at the Redemption Camp and at our embassies worldwide.

2. Pa Taiwo Akinkumi left Britain to come back to Nigeria. He was educated in England. This man is a patriot to the core. He has said in interviews that he had opportunities to stay back in London but he chose to return to his country of birth. He is a humble man whose name can never be wiped away from the archives of Nigeria. He is not outspoken about his poor living conditions, but he still pricks the conscience of Nigerians.

3. The Nigerian Flag defines us a people everywhere we go. It is a very important national symbol. Other countries fly our flags at ceremonies. Do you know that many countries honour and take care of their flag designers greatly? Those who are mocking me should head to the british museum to check things out for themselves.

Pa Taiwo deserves to be on the list that was drawn up on this thread. Please conduct your research well. Thanks.

You know what, the greatest person is the person that designed the Super Eagles jersey.

nolongTing:

Yes you are right its the Magnitude! Obasanjo could have been the greatest of them all if he resolved the power failures and left a solid voting system in place - he just couldn't close the show grin grin grin grin grin

And didn't ask for a third term.
And probed and prosecute for the military killings in villages.
And sent morons like Okadigbo etc to jail instead of just letting him go scot-free.
Then he will be getting there. I do appreciate he had alot to do considering the situation of the country then but these ones were in the public arena and could have been dealt with better.

Redman44:

2. Pa Anthony Enahoro: He fought for our independence with vigour and a great attitude.
3. Kanu Nwankwo: He led a team of determined guys to record the greatest victories in our footballing history. He put in an amazing display to earn us the Olympic Soccer Gold [ our greatest soccer achievement to date ].
4. That girl from Benue state who won a grant to go to a space simulation program [ NASA, USA ] about three years ago. She is the only Nigerian to have done that. I cant remember her name now.
5. Wole Soyinka: For winning the only Nobel Prize for Nigeria in Literature.

Cheers.

Honestly, I am going to petition the UN to abolish freedom of speech.  grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by Sagamite(m): 10:03pm On May 15, 2009
ikeyman00:

sagamite

cheap shot

not suprised doe,

come again slowpoke

ikeyman00:

why do yoruba people talk alot about gani fawehini; continuous talking no action; abeg make i hear word

wole soyinka, my ass chinue achibe command more audience than him, atleast his name keeps the flag flying

as for the looters like aliko and adenuga, yes cuz they invested their money in nigeria period, unlike sagamite's uncle that squander our money in swizz a/c

Hmmm, Bazooka English.

You just dey GBOA dey go, you no send any person.  grin grin grin

I don take cover so-tay my back dey ache.  grin grin
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by RichyBlacK(m): 10:23pm On May 15, 2009
Afaukwu:

Kanu Nwankwo
Ojukwu
Wole Soyinka
Chinua Achebe
Gani Fawehinmi

I love this list! Powerful, and a winner any day!

There are 15,504 possible lists of five from the twenty names given. The above is the best!
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by GettysBurg: 11:35pm On May 15, 2009
@ All,

The vote is unanimous: The majority have spoken.

The NEWSWEEK (Jan. '09 Edition) of America has confirmed it too.

The Greatest of them all is E.A. Adeboye.
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by dipsyn: 1:49am On May 16, 2009
Nice topic
In my opinoin,
Dont know why Chinua Achebe is so great for writing a book, though arguably he made a lot of people entertained so did the writer of harry Porter
Don't know much about Wole Soyinka but really just see him as a critic with no action
Gani is great he criticizes and also takes action at least as sued the govt a couple of time
Kanu arguably he opened a foundation do you know how many people have done that just becuase he is popular! that His wat is making the hype dont get me wrong though its still something great
Pst. Adeboye some of you will rather see him taking okada to regard him as great anyways for anybody to pull thousand of people, get thier attention and also teach them morals, to not be menace of the society even if you claim he extorts dont know what other word to call him or the role he has played than great
As for the political leaders only anthony enahoro I think is gr8 others have too much skeleton in their cupboards
Sunny ade is just a musician sellling his record and making moni like Fela dey are both good in thier profession but depends on your defination of legend if u sey Micheal Jackson is a legend mayb they are. but I tink Fela is gr8 though because he confronts the wrong doing thru his songs
Re: 5 Greatest Living Nigerians by mogzy(m): 3:59am On May 16, 2009
ikeyman00:

There are bunch of empty- headed tribalistic individuals whose posts should be made to go through some filtering media on nairaland.
Chinua Achebe is no legend in that sense', and he doesnt command such respect as Wole Soyinka(Nobel Laurete). Kanu is simply patroitic and as for the foundation we 've got many Nigerians doing much more and are not in the news. The Olajuwons, Emegwalis 've no business being on that list.

My List
Pa Anthony Enahoro (the last of the indepedence fighters)
Gani Fawehinmi(The most consistent, de-tribalised die-hard human right activist and a philantophist)
Wole Soyinka(the only Nigerian Nobel Laurete and a consistent human right activist)
Dangote(a rugged manufacturer in a terribleand unfriendly nigerian terrain, 'Forget Govt interest')

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Suspected Kidnappers Of ESUT VC Arrested / NJC Dismisses Four Petitions Against Justice Okon Abang / TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.