Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? (1961 Views)

Religion Section 'awards Night' / How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? / *~ Joagbaje Voted The Religion Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 5:31pm On May 16, 2009
Hello my people.

I know the Religion section gets tense from time to time but have this section taught you anything.

Do you have a new acceptance of atheists thanks to my nigga huxley cheesy

Has Davidlyan made you so mad you want to burn down your neighborhood church grin

have olabowale and babs encouraged you to become a polygamous muslim cheesy

Has LadyT made you think Catholics aren't all pervs after all.

Serious, has this section had an impact on you and be honest.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by manmustwac(m): 10:08pm On May 16, 2009
100% NO WAY!!! People like mazaje and huxley just made me realise that i have to do something that i've never done before and thats,  read the bible. So i'd be able to point out the flaws to Christians i encounter and have a constructive debate with them. smiley
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by banom(m): 10:46pm On May 16, 2009
It only gave me a platform to voice out against holy criminals.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 6:44am On May 17, 2009
chei, are you guys saying huxley, mazaje and bastage has turned yall into atheist militants. chineke me o.

banom:

It only gave me a platform to voice out against holy criminals.

what posters inspire you the most or well just piss you the fuccc off
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 11:21am On May 17, 2009
It has not changed my religious beliefs, but it has led me to know that there are more than a few flaws in the Bible (thanks to huxley). I didn't know how badly tampered with, the Bible is.
Made me question the christian rule about loving one's enemies, like christians claim they're supposed to do, in real life. The hate they display here is something else.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by PastorAIO: 11:29am On May 17, 2009
It hasn't changed my beliefs but it has highlighted for me how emotionally charged the whole issue of religion is. And also how unlikely it is for someone to even consider an opposite viewpoint when it comes to religion. This goes for both atheists and theists.

Now have a better knowledge of the 'lay of the land' as regards religious issues in nigeria.

bawomolo:

chei, are you guys saying huxley, mazaje and bastage has turned yall into atheist militants. chineke me o.

I wonder what poster inspired you to ask this. I don't even recall mazaje and bastage been mentioned yet. Or perhaps you've just had a bout of wishful-thinking-itis.

1 Like

Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by arramyjay: 11:47am On May 17, 2009
No.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by SirJohn(m): 12:16pm On May 17, 2009
Not really, it has challenged me to find out the truth about some of things I took for granted.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by anonimi: 2:47pm On May 17, 2009
it has helped me confirm the questions i had about christian practice by its current leaders in nigeria and elsewhere. it has also helped me refresh my faith in christ and dig deeper into his life, words and works to withstand the charlattans who are masquerading as his modern day representatives but have no similarity with christ when you put their acts under biblical scritiny as we are supposed to.
in particular, i thank KunleOshob for his tithes threads. may God richly reward him-Amen.
meanwhile thank you, bawomolo, for raising this thread. some assessment every now and then on this journey is very useful.
have a nice week.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by MrCrackles(m): 2:53pm On May 17, 2009
Poster

Nice topic

Unfortunately my beliefs hasnt been change, i still remain ever laid back

I have learnt to be more tolerant, in the hope it might encourage others! undecided
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by jagunlabi(m): 5:40pm On May 17, 2009
I have no beliefs,so this forum has not changed anything in that regard.But it has highlighted my fears about religion as a means of spreading intolerance amongst erstwhile good people.
The forum has strenghtened my view that we need to drop religious doctrines and dogmas in other to move forward spiritually.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 5:44pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

I have no beliefs,so this forum has not changed anything in that regard.But it has highlighted my fears about religion as a means of spreading intolerance amongst erstwhile good people.
The forum has strenghtened my view that we need to drop religious doctrines and dogmas in other to move forward spiritually.

interesting. what about NL religious section makes you scared of religion intolerance. Are you talking about the constant bickering that appears even among sects of the same religion?

SirJohn:

Not really, it has challenged me to find out the truth about some of things I took for granted.

hmm things like what?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 17, 2009
not really, it finally gave me a glimpse into a future under millitant atheism . . . what i see is not pretty at all.

It also made me understand better the mindset of the typical muslim - wasnt pretty either.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by jagunlabi(m): 6:07pm On May 17, 2009
Yes,that's what i am talking about.The overview is not pretty,especially when we are talking about the future of the black race.We are deriving our spirituality from the spirit of separateness,the us againt them mentality.It is very worrying,especially when the race who infected us with this sickness is moving on to higher things spiritually and leaving us holding on to this spiritual albatros that we have inherited from the past via colonization.
bawomolo:

interesting. what about NL religious section makes you scared of religion intolerance.  Are you talking about the constant bickering that appears even among sects of the same religion?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

The forum has strenghtened my view that we need to drop religious doctrines and dogmas i[b]n other to move forward spiritually.[/b]

how?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by toneyb: 6:11pm On May 17, 2009
It really confirmed what I have known all along that FEAR is what is really making people to hold unto irrational beliefs. Even to the point of losing their lives. The us verse them mentality that religion pushes unto people is really on high display here on nairaland, Christian vs Moslems, Christians vs Christians, Christian vs Atheist. Its interesting any way.

1 Like

Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

Yes,that's what i am talking about.The overview is not pretty,especially when we are talking about the future of the black race.We are deriving our spirituality from the spirit of separateness,the us againt them mentality.It is very worrying,especially when the race who infected us with this sickness is moving on to higher things spiritually and leaving us holding on to this spiritual albatros that we have inherited from the past via colonization.

What "spiritually higher things"?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 6:12pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

How do you think spiritualism can be achieved without a religious doctrine slipping in.  Even Buddhism started as Buddha looking for a path towards spirituality.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 6:13pm On May 17, 2009
toneyb:

It really confirmed what I have known all along that FEAR is what is really making people to hold unto irrational beliefs. Even to the point of losing their lives. The us verse them mentality that religion pushes unto people is really on high display here on nairaland, Christian vs Moslems, Christians vs Christians, Christian vs Atheist. Its interesting any way.

I agree, we are all scared of the fundamentalists on the either sides. Whether it be communists, Osama or some president going to war because God told him to.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by jagunlabi(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2009
Interesting question.One thing though,spirituality is one thing,religion with it's doctrines is another.Spirituality is about knowing one's own essence at the deepest level,so it does not require any set of manmade ideologies that form doctrinal structures and dogma.It is exclusively at the individual level.
bawomolo:

How do you think spiritualism can be achieved without a religious doctrine slipping in.  Even Buddhism started as Buddha looking for a path towards spirituality.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by toneyb: 6:36pm On May 17, 2009
bawomolo:

I agree, we are all scared of the fundamentalists on the either sides.  Whether it be communists, Osama or some president going to war because God told him to.

Donald Rumsfeld believed the Americans needed to fight the Iraq war as a divine commandment. He even attached some bible verses during his presidential briefings. Why is it wrong for muslims to use their religion when killing people and right for Christians to use their own religion to kill people? what is the difference between Osama bin laden, and John Ascroft, George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/17/rumsfelds-crusade-memos_n_204353.html
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by jagunlabi(m): 6:39pm On May 17, 2009
Deriving spirituality through the sense of oneness.That at the deepest level of our being,all humans are one.That we may seem to be separated and different and diverse in so many ways at the physical level,but our very essence,our very being is the same.Anyone who sees this truth is already on a higher spiritual level.All the differences and divisions that play themselves out in dramas after dramas on the surface seize to exist.
davidylan:

What "spiritually higher things"?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 6:51pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

Interesting question.One thing though,spirituality is one thing,religion with it's doctrines is another.Spirituality is about knowing one's own essence at the deepest level,so it does not require any set of manmade ideologies that form doctrinal structures and dogma.It is exclusively at the individual level.

I can dig this. makes some sense.

toneyb:

Donald Rumsfeld believed the Americans needed to fight the Iraq war as a divine commandment. He even attached some bible verses during his presidential briefings. Why is it wrong for muslims to use their religion when killing people and right for Christians to use their own religion to kill people? what is the difference between Osama bin laden, and John Ascroft, George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/17/rumsfelds-crusade-memos_n_204353.html

You are right, fanaticism is not good regardless of whether you worship sango or allah.

Another question, how do you guys perceive traditional religions after the Ifa threads?

Do you still think they are demonic and inferior to the religions missionaries gave us?
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by toneyb: 7:09pm On May 17, 2009
bawomolo:

I can dig this. makes some sense.

You are right, fanaticism is not good regardless of whether you worship sango or allah.

Another question, how do you guys perceive traditional religions after the Ifa threads?

Do you still think they are demonic and inferior to the religions missionaries gave us?

No. They have never been inferior we accepted and made them inferior.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 17, 2009
jagunlabi:

Deriving spirituality through the sense of oneness.That at the deepest level of our being,all humans are one.That we may seem to be separated and different and diverse in so many ways at the physical level,but our very essence,our very being is the same.Anyone who sees this truth is already on a higher spiritual level.All the differences and divisions that play themselves out in dramas after dramas on the surface seize to exist.

this is absolute unintelligible tosh . . . apologies. Whites are the most racist on earth . . . so which level of spirituality are they on?

one thing the religion section has also taught me is that not everyone who posts has something to say.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:27pm On May 17, 2009
Interestingly it has impacted me a lot.
It has shown us what the world can be if the fundamentalists are in charge, it further made me realise that 99% of christians really do not know the content of the bible, a further large chunk of them have really never read or try to scrutinize what they are reading.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by tpaine: 7:46pm On May 17, 2009
For me, it confirmed what I already knew, and these are:

1) The vast majority of Christians and religionists are ignorant, delusional and uninterested in learning and advancing the plight of humankind on earth.

2) That there are a few atheists are there, but that these atheist are reluctant to publically self-identify.

3) That only a small minority of members are amenable to rational argumentation.

4) That the Christian are suckers for the venal pastors and ministers who suck them for their money and that they would die defending their Man of God.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 17, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Interestingly it has impacted me a lot.
It has shown us what the world can be if the fundamentalists are in charge, it further made me realise that 99% of christians really do not know the content of the bible, a further large chunk of them have really never read or try to scrutinize what they are reading.

Fair and accurate point.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 17, 2009
tpaine:

For me, it confirmed what I already knew, and these are:

1) The vast majority of Christians and religionists are ignorant, delusional and uninterested in learning and advancing the plight of humankind on earth.

2) That there are a few atheists are there, but that these atheist are reluctant to publically self-identify.

3) That only a small minority of members are amenable to rational argumentation.

4) That the Christian are suckers for the venal pastors and ministers who suck them for their money and that they would die defending their Man of God.

What i learnt though is that atheists make a fundamental but completely fallacious mistake . . . that simply because they dont believe in a God they are automatically intellectually better than the rest of the world. A few threads here is enough to correct that impression. Ever since the departure of nferyn . . . we are yet to see another self-proclaimed atheist that can accurately marshall a point without the aid of copy-pasting from the web.
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by manmustwac(m): 8:13pm On May 17, 2009
davidylan:

What i learnt though is that atheists make a fundamental but completely fallacious mistake . . . that simply because they dont believe in a God they are automatically intellectually better than the rest of the world. A few threads here is enough to correct that impression. Ever since the departure of nferyn . . . we are yet to see another self-proclaimed atheist that can accurately marshall a point without the aid of copy-pasting from the web.
Well the christians think thier intellectually better than the muslims and the muslims think thier intellectually better than the christians and the protestants think thier better than the catholics and catholics think thier better then the protestants etc etc. smiley
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by bawomolo(m): 9:09pm On May 17, 2009
manmustwac:

Well the christians think thier intellectually better than the muslims and the muslims think thier intellectually better than the christians and the protestants think thier better than the catholics and catholics think thier better then the protestants etc etc. smiley

Isn't that what makes the section beautiful. We all know the truth
Re: Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? by mazaje(m): 9:41pm On May 17, 2009
davidylan:

grin grin look who is talking. . . atheist at least copy and paste what they agree with. . . when caught in a tight position you go to fellow christian apologist websites copy and paste their works, which do not even agree with ur statements only to for you to be caught changing position  all over the place what a shame. . . what this religion section has shown me is that posters like davidylan, noetic, Oladegbuu, osisi are the most ridiculous set of hypocrites on nairaland. . . they spend all their time pointing out the evil atrocities of allah and scientific mistakes in the koran when their own god and the writers of the bible do not know any better than the writers of the koran . . . .fear as some one has pointed out is the driving force that makes people believe in most of this nonsense. . .

(1) (2)

Popular Islamic Scholar" Crashes Concert To Preach About The Sinfulness Of Music / Solipsism: You Are All Alone! / Is God's Love Really Limitless?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.