Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

A Woman Should Prove To Be More Than Make-up Or Jewellery - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Woman Should Prove To Be More Than Make-up Or Jewellery (916 Views)

Vivian Gist... Prove To Us That You Not Lying / Every Woman Should Read These Rules For Godly Woman.. / Reasons To Stop Trying To Prove Yourself To Everyone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Woman Should Prove To Be More Than Make-up Or Jewellery by JJYOU: 2:56pm On May 17, 2009
[size=18pt] A woman should prove to be more than make-up or jewellery[/size]
By KEMI ASHEFON
Published: Sunday, 17 May 2009

Senator Patricia Akwashiki, representing the Nasarawa North senatorial district tells KEMI ASHEFON how she came into politics and other interesting issues Her huge frame is a replica of what she is inside – bold, fearless and unwavering. There is no
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Photo file

Sen. Patricia Akwashiki

need saying she treads where angels dread because that was exactly what she did during the 2007 election. A former member of the House of Representatives, she wanted another four-year term in the House, declared her interest, participated in the party primaries and then the drama occurred. ”I was in the Peoples Democratic Party and by December 2006, I wrote my letter of resignation,” she stated.

Tagged to be one of the intelligent female senators in the upper chamber of the National Assembly, the interview with Senator Patricia Akwashiki, who is representing the Nasarawa North senatorial district, was almost marred. Why? She was a member of the planning committee for the 47th birthday dinner held in honour of the deputy senate president, Ike Ekweremadu. But even as she moved from one end of the venue to the other, she was still able to talk.

”I contested for the primaries and was not satisfied because it was obvious there was a pre-determined stand on the candidates they wanted. I felt it was unfair and I left the hall before the end of the elections. I was disappointed, wrote my letter of resignation and I joined the All Nigerian Peoples‘ Party because it was the strongest opposition in Nasarawa. I picked the ticket in ANPP and was advised to go for the Senate.”

For a woman, her purse was lean but not her will. ”From the moment I made up my mind to leave PDP, I did not rest. I mobilised my people and they came out in their thousands. I have always believed in the people’s will and I was campaigning from one polling unit to the other and I was telling them that I had left the umbrella (PDP) and they should vote for Masara (maize) which is the ANPP. It was tiring, rigorous but exciting. They knew my stand and my sincerity. In politics, once a people believe in you and you don‘t go halfway with them, they would be willing to die for you. Though I was offered the deputy governorship of the PDP, I refused. It is a sin to dump your people for any position. I stuck to my gun!”

Born in Jos and raised in practically all the states in the North, she is one of eight girls and two boys in her family. ”My father was a policeman and was always on transfer. I grew up in Adamawa and almost all the states in the North. I was also in Akwa Ibom at the then college of education on an exchange programme. It was a fun-filled childhood. My parents are Christians and had 10 of us,” she reminisced.

A trained teacher, Senator Akwashiki confessed that her certificate was utilised in the banking sector instead of education. ”I decided not to be a teacher then because it did not give me enough challenges and the condition of service was poor. I went into banking, where I spent 15 years. I later retired into politics and contested elections.”

But what enticed her about politics, knowing the dangers and discrimination for women? ”When I told my husband, he was afraid like any other person and had his reservations. But when he saw my will and determination to be of service to my people, he supported me. I have observed that many elites, average and middle class Nigerians were not ready to go to politics initially. They left it to people of low minds and would sit at home criticising. Why criticise someone who was working according to the capability of his brain? That was why I joined politics in 2002 and I don‘t think I have any regrets.”

Back to her tortuous journey to the senate, Akwashiki who was installed the Gimbiyan Eggon recently in her village would not forget her day of victory. ”Having been in the banking world for so long, I had learnt the art of gambling. I knew I was taking a risk and it was either a victory or defeat. But I knew we would win because the people came out in their thousands. Already, we had known from the constituency that we won and by 4.00am the last result came to the coalition centre, where it took another 12 hours for them to announce the result!”

She would not fail to advise women at this point: ”Never give up,” she sermonised. ”In politics, as long as you are determined and allow the men know that you are ready to slug it out, you would be respected. Don‘t beg anyone to step down for you and you test your popularity in your locality. I now encourage many women to be in politics and we have a woman representing us in the House and at the state House of Assembly, which was never like that. Women have started proving their worth in politics and I know that the present crop of female senators is such examples. A woman should prove to be more than make-up, jewellery or clothes. You are a creature of potential and should not be trampled upon.”

Is she encouraging women to abandon their homes, kids and be in politics? ”Of course not,” she corrected. ”I always advise that women who are still nursing babies or whose children are still young should not venture into politics. Wait till they are grown and can be put in the boarding schools. Moreover, have your husband‘s support. Even when there are mudslinging and other petty talks, he knows who he married and would not believe them.”

With her age, (her first daughter is 31) she is quite fashionable and also a precious stone freak. ”I had my daughter at 22. Then, it was an abomination to be in your parents‘ house at 21! Immediately I left the college of education, I got married and had my baby. On fashion, I think I love precious and gemstones because they are durable. They are unique and always in vogue,” she said. http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009051716295921

(1) (Reply)

Has The Presence Of Marriage And Relationship Counsellors Been Helpful? / Men, Wud U Consider Marryin A Woman Who Has Kids For More Than One Man? / Between Agege And Akute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.