Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. (3755 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Games Village Nnewi Ongoing Construction Work (Photos) / Pictures Of Massive Construction Work In Ogun State. / First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by OneNaija(m): 10:31am On May 18, 2009
Actual construction work will soon start on the site of the Eko Atlantic City, a futuristic real estate project being planned along the shores of the Atlantic Ocean in Lagos State, following the successful reclamation of about 820 hectares of land.

The project is planned to complement the much sought after Victoria Island, which has become saturated in terms of transportation and land availability for new development, coupled with the huge shortage of hotel and residential facilities in the area.

Hence, a decision was taken by the Lagos State Government to expand the present Victoria Island and protect it by reclaiming land lost to the Atlantic Ocean and create the most valuable land in the state where people will live and work.

According to the Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Prince Adesegun Oniru, the overall concept of the Eko Atlantic City development is to restore land lost to coastal erosion since the 1950s and to provide a permanent solution to the erosion by providing a robust sea wall or revetment along the newly reconstructed coastline.

Oniru, who spoke on the progress of work on the project in Ikeja on Wednesday at a ministerial press briefing by the ministry to mark the second year anniversary of the Governor Babatunde Fashola‘s administration, said that Eko Atlantic City would rise as the next generation of real estate developments in Africa.

The turning of the sod for the project was performed on behalf of President Umaru Yar‘Adua by his Chief Economic Adviser, Mallam Tanimu Yakubu on April 18, 2008, while reclamation work commenced on June 9. The project is mainly a private investment initiative with no direct government funding.

As at the end of February, 2009, a total area of 3,078,757 cubic metres had been sand-filled and placed in the reclamation area, while about 35,000 tonnes of rock had been delivered to the site from Ibadan, Oyo State, for the revetment.

A total length of 6,500 metres had been earmarked for development along the Atlantic with an average width of 1,260 metres, while a 30-metre wide central waterway had been incorporated into the development to provide water transport facilities connecting the three marinas.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by solosimple(m): 10:48am On May 18, 2009
This would be a good one. May God help our dear State. Long live Lagos State!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by mayrho(m): 11:26am On May 18, 2009
Eko o ni baje wink
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by OneNaija(m): 11:26am On May 18, 2009
I truly believe Fashola Is suitable for President. Thanks
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by jimmysho(m): 11:28am On May 18, 2009
lagos will soon reclaim its title CENTER OF EXCELLENCE.

EKO ONI BAJE
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by wolexbrain: 11:35am On May 18, 2009
Great.

Can any of you link me to the contractors that are planing to take over this project
I am a granite supplier with so much credit facility.

There will be a % cut for referral.

thanks

08037286735, 07026787949
holypeace industries ltd,
total filling station
obantoko, abeokuta.
ogun state.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by deor03(m): 12:13pm On May 18, 2009
wolexbrain:

Great.

Can any of you link me to the contractors that are planing to take over this project
I am a granite supplier with so much credit facility.

There will be a % cut for referral.

thanks

08037286735, 07026787949
holypeace industries ltd,
total filling station
obantoko, abeokuta.
ogun state.

Try

info@ekoatlantic.com
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by MCMLXXVI(m): 3:23pm On May 18, 2009
Damn You Michael Bay!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by MrCrackles(m): 6:21pm On May 18, 2009
Good news!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by ikeyman00(m): 6:32pm On May 18, 2009
Peter Obi, Gov anambra state

i think there is something to learn from here

it only take a cleverman to shy away from his ego to seek, and thou shall recieve hah
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by moneygurl: 6:34pm On May 18, 2009
This project kind of reminds me of V & A Waterfront, Cape town, SA.   100% owned by the private sector, with the majority held by Dubai World
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by ikeyman00(m): 6:40pm On May 18, 2009
not suprised!!

soon RSA will spring up to convience us that black own those properties

again, this is what freak me out, all those ghana must go politicians hey it time to build properties all over nigeria, sky scrapers, hotel etc just like yall is doin in abuja

it must be strictly nigerian gbam!!!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by topsy25(m): 8:15am On May 19, 2009
Eko, the centre of excellence oni baje ooooooooooooooooo
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by kshow1(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2009
Thumbs - up for our amiable guv.
EKO O NI BAJE OOO
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by bsanya(f): 11:57am On May 19, 2009
up fashola!!! carry on joo eko o ni baje o
Uncle raji nothing do u
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by emmydee(m): 3:48pm On May 19, 2009
should b d most expensive area in Lagos
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by wolexbrain: 4:08pm On May 19, 2009
deor03:

Try

info@ekoatlantic.com

Thanks my man.
i have sent a mail to that email.
still waiting for response.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by toshacer: 4:37pm On May 19, 2009
waste of tax payers money, an estate that will be sold to the elite, the rich and the powerful, how will it benefit the poor and the homeless? Since Jakande built the estates around Lagos, noone else have done anything near that in sincerity. How many homeless people right now will think of ever residing in any of the properties in his/her life time? Whats all the fanfare about? Jakande constructed 8 of those big estates without any fanfare, he almost built the Metroline until never do wells came and stop the project, so, what is the big deal now?
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by OluToye: 4:50pm On May 19, 2009
tosh_acer:

waste of tax payers money

LOL!! Surely you jest. In any event the poor will always be there but we can only have one Eko Atlantic city. This is strictely a private initiative with lagos state government assistance.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by joobreel(m): 5:07pm On May 19, 2009
Why are some people quick to mention the poor when stuffs like this are being mentioned. We should strive legally not to remain poor and move among the so-called elites. the bible even mentions it that the poor will always be around. A Word,
Carry on Mr Governor
B-etter
R-ewarding
F-uture
Eko o ni baje!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by toshacer: 5:10pm On May 19, 2009
Double Talk - when the Federal Government embarks on Lagos/Kano railine, you all said it was a waste, when they were to build from PH to Maiduguri, you all said we need food, you all said, no, it wasnt necessary, when government wants to build ten lane Airport to Abuja road, you all cried wolf, how come this is now a project that benefits the poor? How does it benefit the poor man? The poor man can buy into this estate?
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by hilli666(m): 9:54pm On May 20, 2009
OluToye:

LOL!! Surely you jest. In any event the poor will always be there but we can only have one Eko Atlantic city. This is strictely a private initiative with lagos state government assistance.

What ever on earth is that supposed to mean?? "The poor will alway be there buth we can only have one Eko Atlantic City." I mean I'm up for this mega city but not at the expense of general populace (which is poor) Ya dig!!!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by SeanT21(f): 9:56pm On May 20, 2009
MCMLXXVI:

Damn You Michael Bay!

LMAO!!

@topic

I will love to se it. wink
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by moneygurl: 10:01pm On May 20, 2009
Once again EKO Atlantic City is a private initiative, no kobo is coming from the state government.

As i said earlier, it is just like the V & A Waterfront in South Africa (100% privately owned).

This will actually help the poor without costing the govt. because the people that will build the houses, offices are the masses, opportunity for them to get jobs.

This is not the first man-made island in Lagos. Banana Island (hijacked by the OBJ adminstration) and Takwa Bay Island are man made island.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by AjaraEwuro: 10:08pm On May 20, 2009
i swear, no common man will be able to own a property on this estate, it is people who already have five to ten houses of their own that can afford to buy property there, how thus this favour the poor?
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by moneygurl: 10:09pm On May 20, 2009
tosh_acer:

Double Talk - when the Federal Government embarks on Lagos/Kano railine, you all said it was a waste, when they were to build from PH to Maiduguri, you all said we need food, you all said, no, it wasnt necessary, when government wants to build ten lane Airport to Abuja road, you all cried wolf, how come this is now a project that benefits the poor? How does it benefit the poor man? The poor man can buy into this estate?

Since the govt is not paying for it (Eko Atlantic) , I dont see a problem with the project.

The poor will actually benefit form this project, because they will get jobs (construction, etc) to feed themselves.

And, not everyone had a problem with the LAgos/Kano Rail. I think the main issue was that due process was not followed and  some even complained  about yar'dua halting the project
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by wirinet(m): 10:24pm On May 20, 2009
On face value and in the short run, this is a wonderful projects, it can turn Lagos into a mini Dubai. It will benefit the whole of Lagos state if not the whole of Nigeria, But there is a Caveat.

I lived over 25 yr in Victoria Island and i am  a witness of how erosion brought the shoreline of the Bar Beach from over a kilometer away to Ahmadu Bello Way. Same for Lekki Beach and I hear Eleko Beach has also been Eroding. This is due to two main factors, the Beaches of Lagos are facing the full force of the atlantic ocean and so the waves are pulling the sands of the shoreline into the ocean. Also the polar ice caps are melting as a result of Global warming and the sea level is rising and is expected to rise further in the coming decades. So we can expect quicker erosion taking place.

I know how may billions had been sunk to periodically reclaim Bar Beach and they say that they have found a permanent solution ( i keep my fingers crossed).

I just think it is risky to site such a huge project so close to the beach line, it will require billions in the future to maintain just like Ahmadu Bello rd. They should have moved tho project a bit inland, maybe Ikorodu or Epe which is a high land.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by AjaraEwuro: 10:29pm On May 20, 2009
question is, how does this benefit the poor man who doesnt have a roof over his head and who lives in slums all over the place, dont they deserve housing as well? Please i need an answer.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by moneygurl: 10:40pm On May 20, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

question is, how does this benefit the poor man who doesnt have a roof over his head and who lives in slums all over the place, dont they deserve housing as well? Please i need an answer.

The poor man can get a job in this place to feed himself, and rent a place. The govt can use  tax money form this area to provide housing for the poor man. The problem with poverty is that there is not enough job opportunities, this type of project provides jobs.

You might say how about the N14b the state is making now, The truth is that for a population of over 15 billion it is not enough especially when more tha 50% is going to payment of civil servants salary. And this same civil servats are already asking for an increase in salary.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by AjaraEwuro: 10:48pm On May 20, 2009
Apart from the issue of getting a job, please have you seen a realy realy poor homeless man before? what else is in the government project plan and actions that is meant to help a poor man get a roof over his head? I am sure it is not part of government plan thah the way he wants to help the poor man is for him to get a job on one single estate project, what is in the governments policy and plan to help the poor hungry common man. Jakande tried, many people benefit from his housing plan till now, what is the Lagos State government's plan in this regard, apart from getting a job from building an estate.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by moneygurl: 11:05pm On May 20, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Apart from the issue of getting a job, please have you seen a realy realy poor homeless man before? what else is in the government project plan and actions that is meant to help a poor man get a roof over his head? I am sure it is not part of government plan thah the way he wants to help the poor man is for him to get a job on one single estate project, what is in the governments policy and plan to help the poor hungry common man. Jakande tried, many people benefit from his housing plan till now, what is the Lagos State government's plan in this regard, apart from getting a job from building an estate.

This is just not an estate, its a city it will provide daily jobs that goes beyond construction. The people that will be living in this Eko Atlantic, left an area of Lagos to move here, so there will be more homes for the masses to rent.
The greater the supply of homes then the prices of homes will fall.

The current administration is also building homes and estates for the masses. But it cannot spend all the money it has doing that, especially when on a daily basis more and more people are moving to Lagos. No matter how many homes the govt build it will never be enough. That is why its better they invest in infastruture to get investors to build both low income and normal housing.

The hosuing issue is not something a state can solve alone, Fashola said it himself, there is nothing like low-income housing when one of the most important material (Cement) is a monopoly in Nigeria.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by SeanT21(f): 2:41am On May 21, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Why shall everything benefit the poor man??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Association Of Witches And Wizards Ask Jonathan To Return Back To N65 / Benue Top Hiv List (warning to Youth Corpers Posted To Benue) / CNPP To PDP: Apologise To Nigerians For Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.