Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,176 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? (15629 Views)

Poll: Husbands in the labor room:

Yes: 90% (68 votes)
No: 9% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Guys, Can You Go In With Your Wife To Labour Room? / Should Husbands Hide Money From Their Wives? / Should Husbands Permit Any Contact Between Their Wives And Their Ex-boyfriend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by choicehome(f): 12:29pm On Jun 18, 2008
Should Husbands be allowed into the Labour Room

A woman once said at a salon I went to do my hair that she prefers her husband to be by her bed side during delivery because seeing him, will give her the courage and strength needed at that moment.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by TOH(f): 12:32pm On Jun 18, 2008
Might want to change that "Do" to "Should"

and what is wrong with them being there?
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by CrazyMan(m): 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2008
I think the husband should be allowed into the labour room; but my reasons are different.

A man should be allowed, so he can see what his wife is going through; most men don’t know the pains women go through in childbirth; so it’s good the husband is present so he can see things for himself and love her more.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by TOH(f): 1:38pm On Jun 18, 2008
It's been years since ive agreed with crazykid
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by CrazyMan(m): 1:50pm On Jun 18, 2008
Wait a minute. . .

You’re thiefofhearts right? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Oby1(f): 2:14pm On Jun 18, 2008
crazykid:

I think the husband should be allowed into the labour room; but my reasons are different.

A man should be allowed, so he can see what his wife is going through; most men don’t know the pains women go through in childbirth; so it’s good the husband is present so he can see things for himself and love her more.

bless you
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by uzoo: 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2008
definitely , they should!

sometimes just having them in there gives the woman some level of encouragement to
get this done and over with so you both can carry the baby in your arms.

on the other hand my cousin who's a nurse disagrees,
she said she often tells the man to stay in another room , and then goes and whispers to the
wife (whom at this point is screaming her lungs out in pain) "YOUR HUSBAND IS IN THE OTEHR ROOM AND TRUSTS YOU TO DO THIS AND COME OUT SMILING,BE'COS HE BELIVES YOU'RE A STRONG MOTHER"
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by uosifo: 9:27am On Jun 19, 2008
crazykid:

I am in agreement with crazykid
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by uosifo: 9:33am On Jun 19, 2008
When you see what the women go through during child birth,
You will agree with me that they deserve to be honoured.

In fact, i do not joke with my wife at all. smiley smiley
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by bigfather(m): 7:16pm On Jun 19, 2008
uosifo:

You are right bro and that is why i will always be there whenever she is giving birth.
Was there during the birth of my first child and am warming up for another one.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by mohawkchic(f): 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2008
~Hell Yeah!!. . .too bad it isnt practised back home,maybe just maybe some men's view will change of what it entails to bring a baby into the world!!
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Tetchiness(f): 4:43am On Jun 20, 2008
Yesssssss!! He berra be in the labour room cool
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by ayomifull(f): 5:13pm On Jul 11, 2008
choicehome:

Should Husbands be allowed into the Labour Room [center][/center]

Yes

choicehome:

A woman once said at a salon i went to do my hair that she prefers her husband to be by her bed side during delivery beacuse seeing him, will give her the courage and strength needed at that moment.[/color][color=Black]

No it wont give her the courage but make her want to pretentiously add to the pain so that he feels 'yeepa this thing is not easy o'
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by HRhotness(f): 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2008
My husband will be tied down and physically carried into the labour room if need be. . . .

It is compulsory he sees what i have to go through to bring forth our child grin
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by mishooo(m): 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2008
HR.hotness:

My husband will be tied down and physically carried into the labour room if need be. . . .

It is compulsory he sees what i have to go through to bring forth our child grin

LOL grin grin

Wicked lady angry angry
When he faints, your eyes will clear !! tongue tongue tongue
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by SENATORJD(m): 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2008
mishooo:

why in go faint no be in put am there? grin

personally i would(if allowed) be beside my wife all the way through
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by mishooo(m): 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2008
SENATOR JD:

why in go faint no be in put am there? grin

personally i would(if allowed) be beside my wife all the way through

I personally know a man that fainted during his wife's labour.

I think it could be scary oo!!
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Nwaka77: 12:45am On Jul 12, 2008
mishooo:

Then a man should not pregnate a woman if he cannot be man enough to be by her side when she is about to give birth to the baby he planted in her womb. Its just that simple!
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2008
Nwaka77:

Then a man should not pregnate a woman if he cannot be man enough to be by her side when she is about to give birth to the baby he planted in her womb. Its just that simple!
simply well said
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2008
I want my husband to be by my side o
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by delino: 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2008
the husband dont necssarilly have to be in by the bed side when the wife is having their baby.

the man has to be seriously praying for the wife some where very quit at that point in time.

this sis simply because there are forces out there that is always against such thing at that time.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by atutupoyo(f): 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2008
Yes he has to be there.
A friend tpld me her brother in-law ran out of the labour room when her sis was in labour.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by igbonla(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2008
uosifo:

Women deserve to be honored with or without childbirth.

HR.hotness:

Good idea but thank God you are not my wife, do you want to lose one while bringing forth another?

rokiatu:

simply well said

I can live with that as long as my wife is ok with it.

delino:

the husband don't necssarilly have to be in by the bed side when the wife is having their baby.

the man has to be seriously praying for the wife some where very quit at that point in time.

this sis simply because there are forces out there that is always against such thing at that time.

The best idea for me! Afterall there is no serious pain if the wife choose to have CS, I will rather be praying than watching the cutting and all the blood. There are reported cases of fainting, ear biting and slapping all in support of the woman during childbirth.

I expect the husband and wife to discuss this and agree on what is ok for both without upsetting their emotions; childbirth no be joke.

All hail our women!

1 Like

Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Ninani(f): 3:29pm On Jul 14, 2008
Well, that topic just caught my interest. I am expecting my second child in four weeks time and the question of whether my husband should accompany me to the labour room or not has been occupying my mind since a couple of weeks.

My hubby was there with me in the labour room when I was about to give birth to our first daughter. However, in retrospect, I'm afraid his presence wasn't that ideal,
At first, he was barely able to stay awake and then he took on the - agreed unsympathic - midwife. I believe all this just distracted me unnecessarily. Labour then became very inefficient and long-lasting. Eventually the health of our unborn was at risk and I ended up in the operating theatre and our baby was delivered with a C-section. Of course the distraction with my husband was not the main reason but I take it as a contributing factor. That had almost caused him nervous breakdown. We have spoken about that on several occasions afterwards and I don't blame him, but we agree his support could have been better,

Now as the birth of our second child is imminent it seems to be as a matter of course for him to be present in the labour room again. I was thinking once aloud that I might consider another person to accompany me to give birth, but he wasn't relieved as I had expected, on contrary, he was rather snuffy.

I love my husband over all but I am just afraid of having a similar situation again. What if he is overchallenged again by the situation and what if I feel angry and distracted again?
I could have tried it all alone but on the other hand, in an emergency situation, I'll need somebody to defend my interest towards the hospital personnel. And it is my husband that I feel most secure with, it is him that I trust to protect my interest best if the worst comes to the worst.

I was also thinking about my mum and a female friend. The problem with my friend is, that she lives far away and I don't know how quick she could make it here. The best would probably be, if several persons (including my husband) are within reach that could take turns according to my needs.

To the original question: Husbands are allowed in the labour rooms, here. (We live in Europe). But there is ambiguity if they are really the best fitting companion to their birth-giving wifes. I read many midwifes have concluded men shouldn't be in the labour room. They say it should become a woman thing again.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 14, 2008
igbonla:

Women deserve to be honored with or without childbirth.
I LIKE THIS
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by HRhotness(f): 1:44pm On Jul 15, 2008
mishooo:

LOL grin grin

Wicked lady angry angry

Nothin wrong in fainting. . .

we both contributed in creating the child, so we both hav to contribute in bringing the child into the world. . . if he wants to faint or pray, he can do all that within the labour room but it is crucial he sees what i go through so he will appreciate what he has even more grin grin
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by fellybabe(f): 3:40am On Jul 16, 2008
k
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by uosifo: 10:40am On Jul 16, 2008
mishooo:

If the man can faint during this period, what of the woman going through the pains? In fact, "WOMEN, I CELEBRATE YOU" cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by Veracious(f): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2008
Its a priveldge to be a woman and mother.

Personally i support the idea of allowing husbands into the labour room. but what i don't support is the fact that the woman preparing her mind that her husband MUST be there with her, because its very possible the husband is not around at that time of labour, and if you are already spiritually and psychologically prepared for such, now think of what happens to you( Difficulty in giving birth MIGHT occure) because the baby unknown to you hears and feels what you say and feel and refuses to come out until the father is there by your side. most of you might not agree with me but there is a bond between a mother and child immidiately after conception.

If he is around during labour/delivery oh glory be to God and if not then there is nothing to worry about but to relaxe and plan a surprise call to him yourself that you have given birth to your baby dont allow someone else to do it for you because an extra bond is created between the two of you by just breaking the news to him.

Happy Parenting to all the expectant.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by DeepZone: 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2008
Yes, Yes and Yes. If I have my way, husbands should also be allowed to carry the pregnancy for a minimum of 5 months.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by HCH3COO: 6:37pm On Jul 22, 2008
DeepZone:

Yes, Yes and Yes. If I have my way, husbands should also be allowed to carry the pregnancy for a minimum of 5 months.
operative word: If.
Re: Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room? by izeek(m): 7:14pm On Jul 22, 2008
well yeah but for a diff reason,

so them randy men can learn to control thier kini and stop getting thier wives preg evry yr.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Why Do People Who Borrow Money Find It So Difficult To Return In Due Time? / 10 Reasons Not To Get A Divorce - Read & Have A Rethink / How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.