Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. (24800 Views)

Atheists Let's Discuss God. / UNBELIEVABLE! DISGRACEFUL! Nairaland Atheists see nothing wrong with Bestiality / Conclusion : Nairaland Atheists make shocking approval of Incest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by Rilwayne001: 1:31pm On Nov 20, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Just before you go 'boom'?
Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 2:19am On Nov 22, 2015

Atheism and theism are not opposites.

Really?
I really dont know how you can suppose to be taken seriously with this sort of statement.

Unless of course you are joking which i guess is the case. It must be, since you are still on about tooth fairies. Grow up.

What is atheism? What is Theism?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 2:29am On Nov 22, 2015
hahn:
Toothfarians? Lol.

Belief in god is what keeps most people sane in this insane society we live in.

If this is the case then whats wrong with a belief in God?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 2:32am On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

Well said.

The reason it is so imperative to engage, mock and degrade silly posts
grin

Mock? Oh dear. Do not mock anybody. Atheist, Theist, Pagan, whatever. I advise you not to do so. All humans are humans.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 2:36am On Nov 22, 2015
plaetton:

I see it first hand while discussing oxygen and how plants produce oxygen during photosynthesis. My young teen quickly asserted that god created oxygen. I asked how, she could not explain.
I tried to refresh her mind on how plants produce oxygen. Again She still insisted that god did it. undecided

I have to say that your young teen is very wise. Good night.

Oxygen is a Gas. God is Life.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 2:43am On Nov 22, 2015
herald9:

The first thing is to tackle our educational sector, review the curriculum and make philosophy and logic a compulsory course, irrespective of the field of study. Also, the history of Nigeria could be made compulsory to all students for at least a session.

Students could also be made to study African traditional religions- all of them. This will help put the Abrahamic religions on the same scale as our traditional religions.

Etc.

Now here is good sense!
However not everyone can or should be forced to study a particular subject. Such as philosophy. Clearly not everyone has the capacity to do so...

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by plaetton: 7:44am On Nov 22, 2015
DeepSight:

Ideally, there shouldn't be anything wrong with having a belief, any type of belief.

I don't MOCK my Hindu friends who worship elephants gods or cows, for the obvious reasons that they don't try to impose their beliefs on others as facts. Their beliefs don't interfere with their education and scientific rationalism.

I'm Nigeria, no one accepts their beliefs as just their beliefs.
No.
They see their silly stone age beliefs as universal truth for which they have an obligation spread and impose on others.

So, mockery is the best form of push back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by hahn(m): 8:01am On Nov 22, 2015
DeepSight:

There's nothing really wrong with believing in a god. For instance, many people are able to cope with disappointments, loss of a loved one, hardships and other challenges life throws at us by believing that a higher power is there to take control of the situation, irrespective of the outcome, and this is the basis of their hope and strength.

Where we seem to have a problem is when theists make it sound like it, god, is actually real and try to shove down ancient knowledge, especially of foreign origin, down people's throats and present it as fact instead of treating it as the figment of the imagination it is.

But it's all good

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by plaetton: 3:35pm On Nov 22, 2015
DeepSight:

Really?
I really dont know how you can suppose to be taken seriously with this sort of statement.

Unless of course you are joking which i guess is the case. It must be, since you are still on about tooth fairies. Grow up.

What is atheism? What is Theism?

They are not opposites in the sense they are not competing ideologies or philosophies.

Atheists propose no alternate theory, and would gladly consider theistic viewpoint if and when presented with simple credible evidence.

So say that atheism and theism are opposites would be similar to saying that being dismissive of the Toothfairy (which you're guilty of) is the opposite of being an apostle of the Toothfairy (which I am).
Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by plaetton: 3:38pm On Nov 22, 2015
DeepSight:

Oxygen is a Gas. God is Life.

Oxygen makes life necessary, therefore, oxygen is life.

And how about, Life is God?
Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by DeepSight(m): 4:55am On Nov 23, 2015
^^^ Kids.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by wiegraf: 6:57am On Nov 23, 2015
DeepSight:

Papa, it's quite simple. It's that it's not the only magani that can keep them, rather you, sane

In fact, there are various far less harmful and benign tonics very readily available. So much so that relying on this one is nothing short of being reckless and endangering everyone around.

You have Ebola? A cure exists that is immediate, effective and available? No, I'll just use that concoction great grandpapa used to make. Never mind that its never been actually been effectively shown to work, it gets me high.

And please continue to pretend that we give a toss about believers that can keep it in their pants. Also, you are not one of those, so please don't pretend to be one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by lepasharon(f): 3:49pm On Dec 08, 2015
I have noticed that it is actually quite rare to find a black person that is flat out an Atheist. Sure you will find blacks who know religion and the bible is nonsense, but they will dance around the title of atheist therefore most non beleiving blacks are either irrreligious or agnostic.
Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 27, 2015
lepasharon:
I have noticed that it is actually quite rare to find a black person that is flat out an Atheist. Sure you will find blacks who know religion and the bible is nonsense, but they will dance around the title of atheist therefore most non beleiving blacks are either irrreligious or agnostic.

Sometimes I think we are playing out a script for the amusement of some other beings (hollywood/nollywood). Sometimes I think we are animals that are too smart for our own good.
Sometimes I think deepsight is right about the "oneness of infinity" ( grin when I come to nigeria, I'm going to find you ).......
Sometimes I think Shango will smite you disloyal people.
Sometimes I just want to light up and put my feet up.

One thing is certain, y'all will die but Martian will live forever!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by lekkie073(m): 9:23pm On Dec 27, 2015
lepasharon:
there are a lot of south africans dat r pure atheists.....
Re: Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. by spacyzuma(m): 11:12am On Apr 01, 2016
lepasharon:

I describe myself as Agnostic because I'm not entirely sure of the fact that there is no Creator.
I know several Nigerian atheists who are 100% sure there is no God/Allah/Creator.
I use the word Creator because it's more encompassing than God/Allah/Zeus/Yemoja/Amadioha/etc...

My doubt is due to the fact that while there is a possibility that a Supreme Creator exists (someone/something that made the universe and universal physical laws, or at least...created life on this small planet called Earth), if such a Creator exists, I do not believe it gave us moral rules on how to live (like the Christian God, Islam Allah, or other religious deities).

I believe all religious deities are imaginary beings created by humans thousands of years ago as part of their way to explain the mysteries of themselves and their environments. It's natural, because almost every society on this earth has some sort of belief in a supernatural deities. Somehow, it got out of hand, and smarter humans started using this beliefs to create religion and religious laws to control and dominate other humans.

A typical example of how one human can create a religion and use it to control other humans can be found in Scientology. Different religious brands are created in many places on earth to control/manipulate people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church / Who Is The Most Humblest Man Of God In Nigeria? / Atheists Come And See: The Most Powerful Argument For The Existence Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.