Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? (6086 Views)

Do You Ask God If She Is Your Wife Or Not before considering Marriage? / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Sex Scandal: "I Believe You Daddy!"- Lady Supports Him / The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by jadeus: 7:27pm On Nov 17, 2015
I am an atheist that was formerly a Christian. Till today I still can't fathom how educated individuals in Nigeria can still believe in the bible despite all the impossibilities in it. During my transition into atheism, I went through this phase where everyone I met told me that I should just believe without the evidence. They said that it was my disbelief that was driving me away from God and that I should not question him. I should just keep quiet and follow him even though I'm not sure he exists. I'm sure most Christians would ask what is wrong with that but I want to ask you, if a someone of another faith tells you to convert to their faith without showing proof that their God is real, would you do it? You wouldn't. That's how I feel. If there is no scientific evidence showing the existence of God, then I cannot believe in him.

Also, one of the reasons that I started doubting Christianity is all the impossible and horrible stories it contains (I'm sure someone would use the 'God of the Gaps' argument here and say that God did it):

1) How could God create this earth in 6 days, but take only one day to create the rest of the universe? That is impossible. According to recent estimates, there are about 100 billion planets in the universe and assuming that they are all the size of the earth, it would take about 600 billion days for God to create them and that's not including the stars!!

2) God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and yet, he didn't know that creating putting the tree of knowledge in the garden would lead to the destruction of his beautiful creation? Didn't he know that he would later regret his choice (Gen. 6:6)? After all he knew the end from the beginning, he would have known that creating the tree would lead to billions of people to hell, yet he still created it. How is that loving? As a parent, how many of you would create something knowing your child would suffer forever as a result of that thing? I'm sure none of you, yet you would excuse your God from doing the same thing.

3) If God is caring and compassionate and provides for the needs of the faithful if they just ask, why is Nigeria in the state it is in today? After all, we have people praying from morning to night asking for Go'd guidance and help, yet things seem to only get worse. In countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, they are made up of mostly atheists, yet they do not experience the amount of violence that we experience in Nigeria. They have good social safety net, low rate of unemployment, very good security, high life expectancy, low rate of corruption and are constantly said to be the happiest countries on earth (Nigeria was recently said to be the worst place to be born in).

4) How did Noah carry all the species of animals on the earth into the ark? Presently, there are about 15 million species of animals on the earth (a conservative estimate and we are losing species everyday). How did Noah put all these animals inside that ark? Also, apart from the two of every kind of animal, they had to carry extra animals for the lions, the tigers and other carnivores to eat. They also had to carry lots of hay and grass for the cows, goats, horses and sheep. How did they fit inside the boat? Why are there still fish alive today. If the flood happened, it would have messed up the salt balance of the waters and that would have killed loads of fish. Also, how come 8 unskilled people were able to build an ark of that size that lasted for about 40 days without bending, while skilled people build the Wyoming and it bent. It was not even as big as the ark.

5) Why did God punish the people in Noah's time? It was not like he had given them any commandments and there was not evidence that he talked to them.

6) Using the timelines of the bible, the earth is 6000 years old. How is that possible when there has been fossils that have been dated to around 100,000 years.

7)Why do you actually believe in God? is it because you genuinely believe that God exists or you are just using him as an insurance policy against the bad times and ultimately hell.

There are many more reasons that I doubt the existence of a God, particularly the Abrahamic God, but I can't list all of the here. I am just worried that this deep religiousity of Nigerians would not overcome our common sense and our ability to think about the world around us in a purely scientific way instead of relying on a book that was written 2000 years ago. If we just use God to answer everything in the universe, we would not advance, we would not be able to do research on things that we don't understand like HIV, homosexuality, small pox etc and try to come to reasonable conclusions not rash conclusions based on things that were written by people who thought that blood letting worked.

12 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by psucc(m): 7:32pm On Nov 17, 2015
Another story from a wandering mind. God really exist my dude.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Edehsman(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2015
I believe in God Almighty.ask yourself why are you still alive.God is all.don't deceive and confuse people as you are.Change your thinking.Ftc.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by jadeus: 7:36pm On Nov 17, 2015
psucc:
Another story from a wandering mind. God really exist my dude.

Show me how. Don't just tell me to believe without giving evidence.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by jadeus: 7:39pm On Nov 17, 2015
Edehsman:
I believe in God Almighty.ask yourself why are you still alive.God is all.don't deceive and confuse people as you are.Change your thinking.Ftc.

I am alive as a result of being immunized as a child, brought up in a clean and sanitary environment, given medicine for the malaria I got and chicken pox I got. I was given good food, had sleep and exercised. Simple. it kept my heart running and I am alive.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by winner01(m): 7:42pm On Nov 17, 2015
jadeus:

No one needs to show you anything.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by RealAdewole(m): 7:57pm On Nov 17, 2015
can u proof that God did not exist

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Trustworthiness: 7:58pm On Nov 17, 2015
@Op.

1. Why should I believe you have SENSE when you have not proven to us that they Truely exit by showing us physically.

2. Why should I believe that you will be pained if i use a 16mm iron rod to hit your head when I don't feel the pain myself.

3. Why should I believe you have a brain in your skull when I can't see and feel your brain. May be what you have in your skull is purely milk.

Please go and do proper rethinking. Even some scientists testifies to the existence of a supernatural being that is in charge of everything and that is God Almighty.

Moreover, you can't be making conclusion that there is no God when the only book you read is bible and looking at things in Christianity point of view that might not actually make any sense to you due to several contradictions in it.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Edehsman(m): 8:02pm On Nov 17, 2015
You are alive is because of grace of God.if not tell me when you sleep and wake up tell me where you go remember many people sleep without waking up.always thank God for the gift of life.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Image123(m): 8:05pm On Nov 17, 2015
jadeus:
I am an atheist that was formerly a Christian. Till today I still can't fathom how educated individuals in Nigeria can still believe in the bible despite all the impossibilities in it. During my transition into atheism, I went through this phase where everyone I met told me that I should just believe without the evidence. They said that it was my disbelief that was driving me away from God and that I should not question him. I should just keep quiet and follow him even though I'm not sure he exists. I'm sure most Christians would ask what is wrong with that but I want to ask you, if a someone of another faith tells you to convert to their faith without showing proof that their God is real, would you do it? You wouldn't. That's how I feel. If there is no scientific evidence showing the existence of God, then I cannot believe in him.

Also, one of the reasons that I started doubting Christianity is all the impossible and horrible stories it contains (I'm sure someone would use the 'God of the Gaps' argument here and say that God did it):
Haven read your OP, it's relatively easy to state that you were never a christian, you only practised the religion. A christian is one who is in relationship with God, so since you were never in relationship, or repented, or born again, or having eternal life, you simply were not. Two, christianity is not just about your brains or science, it is supernatural, extraordinary and miraculous. God and the Bible do not encourage blind faith BTW, it is living faith that is needed.

1) How could God create this earth in 6 days, but take only one day to create the rest of the universe? That is impossible. According to recent estimates, there are about 100 billion planets in the universe and assuming that they are all the size of the earth, it would take about 600 billion days for God to create them and that's not including the stars!!
This is a baseless and wild assumption. The Bible says nothing about creating the universe in one day.

2) God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and yet, he didn't know that creating putting the tree of knowledge in the garden would lead to the destruction of his beautiful creation? Didn't he know that he would later regret his choice (Gen. 6:6)? After all he knew the end from the beginning, he would have known that creating the tree would lead to billions of people to hell, yet he still created it. How is that loving? As a parent, how many of you would create something knowing your child would suffer forever as a result of that thing? I'm sure none of you, yet you would excuse your God from doing the same thing.

Baseless and unfounded yet again. No where does the Bible state that God did not know anything. There is no excusing God, rather we should see the obvious consequences and realities that follow.

3) If God is caring and compassionate and provides for the needs of the faithful if they just ask, why is Nigeria in the state it is in today? After all, we have people praying from morning to night asking for Go'd guidance and help, yet things seem to only get worse. In countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, they are made up of mostly atheists, yet they do not experience the amount of violence that we experience in Nigeria. They have good social safety net, low rate of unemployment, very good security, high life expectancy, low rate of corruption and are constantly said to be the happiest countries on earth (Nigeria was recently said to be the worst place to be born in).

Talk is cheap, who and where says and determines the worst place to be born in? i guess you just swallowed that by faith? A fair study of the Bible will NEVER arrive at such simplistic conclusion that God provides all needs if we just ask.

4) How did Noah carry all the species of animals on the earth into the ark? Presently, there are about 15 million species of animals on the earth (a conservative estimate and we are losing species everyday). How did Noah put all these animals inside that ark? Also, apart from the two of every kind of animal, they had to carry extra animals for the lions, the tigers and other carnivores to eat. They also had to carry lots of hay and grass for the cows, goats, horses and sheep. How did they fit inside the boat? Why are there still fish alive today. If the flood happened, it would have messed up the salt balance of the waters and that would have killed loads of fish. Also, how come 8 unskilled people were able to build an ark of that size that lasted for about 40 days without bending, while skilled people build the Wyoming and it bent. It was not even as big as the ark.

What has this got to do with anything?Anyway, the Bible doesn't say Noah carried any animal into the ark. It doesn't say anything about unskilled people. Science talks about global floods many million years ago, do you doubt them, ask the geologists.

5) Why did God punish the people in Noah's time? It was not like he had given them any commandments and there was not evidence that he talked to them.
And you have evidence that He didn't? Has God talked to anybody or given any commandments in your estimation?

6) Using the timelines of the bible, the earth is 6000 years old. How is that possible when there has been fossils that have been dated to around 100,000 years.

The Bible has no timelines in that context you attempt.

7)Why do you actually believe in God? is it because you genuinely believe that God exists or you are just using him as an insurance policy against the bad times and ultimately hell.
i believe in God because i have a personal relationship with Him. He saved me from my sins, answered my prayers and took care of my family and friends.

There are many more reasons that I doubt the existence of a God, particularly the Abrahamic God, but I can't list all of the here. I am just worried that this deep religiousity of Nigerians would not overcome our common sense and our ability to think about the world around us in a purely scientific way instead of relying on a book that was written 2000 years ago. If we just use God to answer everything in the universe, we would not advance, we would not be able to do research on things that we don't understand like HIV, homosexuality, small pox etc and try to come to reasonable conclusions not rash conclusions based on things that were written by people who thought that blood letting worked.
And how has a so called purely scientific way(whatever that means) helped matters? Science has not given us more peace or happiness or forgiveness or love or hope or joy. You think the world is happier than it was 200years ago? You think people are more fulfilled today than 500years ago? What exactly is this new benefit of atheism?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by CoolUsername: 8:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
jadeus:

God exists because it's written in the bible and the bible says that the bible it always true. Discussion closed! /s
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by CoolUsername: 8:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
jadeus:

God exists because it's written in the bible and the bible says that the bible is always true. Discussion closed! /s
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by RealAdewole(m): 9:45pm On Nov 17, 2015
jadeus:

shoooooo u are never once a christian maybe you just always follow your parents to church
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by trapQ: 10:27pm On Nov 17, 2015
Christianity is a relationship with GOD, its not a religion. When you accept Christ, stay faithful, flee from sin, pray and read your bible devotedly, you'll see all the evidence yourself. If true believers tell you what they see, you'll debunk them, saying they are lies.

Jeremiah 29:13 says," you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".

ALSO

Jeremiah 33:3 "call unto me and I will answer you, and show you GREAT AND MIGHTY things which thou knowest not".

now do you know what those great and mighty things are??
jadeus:

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by HCpaul(m): 10:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
I love the writeup of the boy. At least he can be likened to be the brother of Tomas.

Every real and genuie christian do have the evidence of Gods existence.

That you are created in the image of God does not make him a man.

How many time have you seen Obama (US president.)?

How often do you meet with your king?

Those people are ordinary man, compared to the author of the universe.

You've lost your salvation my brother.

Scientific arguements cannot validate God existence.

All i know is that eternity will judge.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by UyiIredia(m): 11:41pm On Nov 17, 2015
Lol. Dem atheists don dey come out. Daz good khot is great.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by stanleyalpacino(m): 12:07am On Nov 18, 2015
Image123:

Haven read your OP, it's relatively easy to state that you were never a christian, you only practised the religion. A christian is one who is in relationship with God, so since you were never in relationship, or repented, or born again, or having eternal life, you simply were not. Two, christianity is not just about your brains or science, it is supernatural, extraordinary and miraculous. God and the Bible do not encourage blind faith BTW, it is living faith that is needed.

This is a baseless and wild assumption. The Bible says nothing about creating the universe in one day.

Baseless and unfounded yet again. No where does the Bible state that God did not know anything. There is no excusing God, rather we should see the obvious consequences and realities that follow.

Talk is cheap, who and where says and determines the worst place to be born in? i guess you just swallowed that by faith? A fair study of the Bible will NEVER arrive at such simplistic conclusion that God provides all needs if we just ask.

What has this got to do with anything?Anyway, the Bible doesn't say Noah carried any animal into the ark. It doesn't say anything about unskilled people. Science talks about global floods many million years ago, do you doubt them, ask the geologists.

And you have evidence that He didn't? Has God talked to anybody or given any commandments in your estimation?

i believe in God because i have a personal relationship with Him. He saved me from my sins, answered my prayers and took care of my family and friends.

And how has a so called purely scientific way(whatever that means) helped matters? Science has not given us more peace or happiness or forgiveness or love or hope or joy. You think the world is happier than it was 200years ago? You think people are more fulfilled today than 500years ago? What exactly is this new benefit of atheism?

and yes you nailed it..
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Nobody: 1:22am On Nov 18, 2015
lol. am really tired of commenting on all these religious ishs .

but u know what I find to be absurd?

people failing to understand that they re worshipping a Jewish mythology concept.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Humblebloke(m): 8:52am On Nov 18, 2015
trapQ:
Christianity is a relationship with GOD, its not a religion. When you accept Christ, stay faithful, flee from sin, pray and read your bible devotedly, you'll see all the evidence yourself. If true believers tell you what they see, you'll debunk them, saying they are lies.

Jeremiah 29:13 says," you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".

ALSO

Jeremiah 33:3 "call unto me and I will answer you, and show you GREAT AND MIGHTY things which thou knowest not".

now do you know what those great and mighty things are??

Bros...... Please stop misleading the public

Christianity is a way of life.... Same as hinduism, islam, buddhism et al

Way of life: RELIGION..... Way of life is simply a term simply a term used to describe the way a person lives...

You share a belief in a jewish god as you personal saviour with two billion other people...... And you claim its not a religion(way of life)
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by trapQ: 8:59am On Nov 18, 2015
Christianity is a relationship with GOD.

You're not in the position to tell me what my christian faith is all about.
Humblebloke:

Bros...... Please stop misleading the public

Christianity is a way of life.... Same as hinduism, islam, buddhism et al

Way of life: RELIGION..... Way of life is simply a term simply a term used to describe the way a person lives...

You share a belief in a jewish god as you personal saviour with two billion other people...... And you claim its not a religion(way of life)
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Humblebloke(m): 9:34am On Nov 18, 2015
trapQ:
Christianity is a relationship with GOD.

You're not in the position to tell me what my christian faith is all about.

Exactly..... Mr know it all

Its a relationship with god which is shared by lots of people on our planet...... They also have a relationship with this 'god'

Is your god a personal one

Way of life=RELIGION

Except you speak some other type of english....... Religion is a way of life.....

EOD
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by trapQ: 11:13am On Nov 18, 2015
desist from quoting me pls. I don't engage in meaningless shallow convos.
Humblebloke:

Exactly..... Mr know it all

Its a relationship with god which is shared by lots of people on our planet...... They also have a relationship with this 'god'

Is your god a personal one

Way of life=RELIGION

Except you speak some other type of english....... Religion is a way of life.....

EOD
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Richirich713: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2015
jadeus:

The bible does not say God created the earth in 6 days nor does it say God created the rest of the universe in 1 day.

jadeus:

1st God did no man wud fall, and did not regret as if he changed his mind, instead he was grieved because of man sins.

Does the parents have any good motives? For it seems u saying that God didn't have good motives for allowing his creation to suffer.

jadeus:

Hw does this argument work against the Christian God, for I'm assuming this bothered u well u were a christian. For the bible tells us God will end all the evil at the right time. Suffering does not disprove God existence.

jadeus:

I'm starting to think u were a christian just because of those who raised u up.

1st u speak about millions of species, yet the bible doesn't say "species" instead it says "kind" , "kind" could easily be closer to meaning to the modern term "genus". And even if it were "species", I never seen a biologist give the number of species at the assumed time of Noah to be in the millions.

Their is fossils of sea creatures in rock layers around the world. Hw can unskilled people build a ark.......?
They didn't build it based on their own skills, it was God who directed everything about the ark.

jadeus:

In the bible we read that the Gentiles had no revelation of the law, yet

“the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them" (Romans 2:14-15)

jadeus:

It's false to say we can cal when Adam lived using(Genesis5:3–32) and (Genesis11:10–32) Genealogies.

By doing that u doing exactly what the text doesn't encourage u to do. Genealogies in the bible are not written for calculating earth age.

And example can be seen in Mathew 1:8 where Mathew omits 3 names and he reduces the genealogies to a memorable 3 sets of 14 individuals for 14 is the number of David.

jadeus:

People believe in God cuz there's evidence for him.

Why should this universe advance if there's no God, what's the purpose? Why should we care about those who have HIV, small pox etc if there's no God.

No God means no objective morals , so saying we should help people who suffer from HIV and smallpox just becomes a opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by frank317: 2:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
Richirich713:

The bible does not say God created the earth in 6 days nor does it say God created the rest of the universe in 1 day.
ok

1st God did no man wud fall, and did not regret as if he changed his mind, instead he was grieved because of man sins.

Does the parents have any good motives? For it seems u saying that God didn't have good motives for allowing his creation to suffer.
So God did not know man would fall? At least I have seen something God failed to know. So an all knowing God just created man, hoping all will be well and didnt know that his perfect creation would disobey him? Then God grieved... That means God made a mistake right?

Yes God didnt have a good motive for allowing his creation to suffer (Are you actually reading what you wrote? Can anyone have a good motive for allowing his loving creation to suffer? whats this?

Hw does this argument work against the Christian God, for I'm assuming this bothered u well u were a christian. For the bible tells us God will end all the evil at the right time. Suffering does not disprove God existence.
reread his question before replying like a blind man... "if God is is caring and compassionate and provides for the faithful..."
the state of Nigeria is only a proof that either God does not exist or he is not compassionate and caring to the faitful as promised in the bible.

I'm starting to think u were a christian just because of those who raised u up.

1st u speak about millions of species, yet the bible doesn't say "species" instead it says "kind" , "kind" could easily be closer to meaning to the modern term "genus". And even if it were "species", I never seen a biologist give the number of species at the assumed time of Noah to be in the millions.

Their is fossils of sea creatures in rock layers around the world. Hw can unskilled people build a ark.......?
They didn't build it based on their own skills, it was God who directed everything about the ark.
oga, did Noah bring all kinds of animal into the ark or not? if yes, how did he put a lion that eats meat for survival in the same ark for forty days? how did he get penguines that survives mostly in arctic regions?

again what was you all knowing God's reason for the flood, since the so call sin he destroyed man for continued even from the 8 people he chose? did he chose wrongly? is he just incapable of destroying sin? so why destroy man and leaving sin. or why save sinful men after destroying sinful men... was he so angry that he was confused?

In the bible we read that the Gentiles had no revelation of the law, yet

“the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them" (Romans 2:14-15)
ok

It's false to say we can cal when Adam lived using(Genesis5:3–32) and (Genesis11:10–32) Genealogies.

By doing that u doing exactly what the text doesn't encourage u to do. Genealogies in the bible are not written for calculating earth age.

And example can be seen in Mathew 1:8 where Mathew omits 3 names and he reduces the genealogies to a memorable 3 sets of 14 individuals for 14 is the number of David.
so according to you, the earth could actually be more than a million years?

People believe in God cuz there's evidence for him.

Why should this universe advance if there's no God, what's the purpose? Why should we care about those who have HIV, small pox etc if there's no God.

No God means no objective morals , so saying we should help people who suffer from HIV and smallpox just becomes a opinion.

Whats your evidence for God? Have u seen him before?

What has the universe advancing got to do with God (assuming he actually exists?) What has caring for HIV and Small pox got to do with God
many atheists do no believe in God, yet they are of the opinion that people should help those who suffer from hiv. So many people have different concepts of God, so many have never read your bible yet they help the needy and sick... what has that got to do with ur God?
Oga, not every one is a wicked as you are since u must first read your bible before you know that helping the sick is necessary.

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by frank317: 2:36pm On Nov 18, 2015
Image123:

if you like call it blind faith, if you like call it living faith, faith is needed here because Christians do not need to SEE before believing. So why can't everyone see the so called supernatural, extraordinary miracle so that they can all believe? Why must I believe first (bind/living faith) before i see miracle?

ok

Read his question again, this time, carefully and answer accordingly.

did they Op say anything about what determines where one is born? Pls read the question again. Ok, Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and .... this is a quote from Koran right? So what did the bible say about providing if we ask? that we will suffer first?

Ohh, Noah didnt take ay animal into the ark? Just hearing this for the first time. Pls what was in the ark for forty days and forty night.
Science talked about global flood that destroyed every human on earth except 8 people... ple i need the link to this info esap

ok

this is not a prove of God.
Do you believe in an islamic terrorist when they say Allah had instructed them to kill all infidel? or, does when my grandfather say Amadioha provided food for him and his family mean that Amadioha is a proof of God?

Will you be happier if you trek from Lagos to abuja rather enter flight? So if you think science has not helped the world... what has your God done for the world? what exactly is his function as our creator?

2 Likes

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by UyiIredia(m): 2:55pm On Nov 18, 2015
frank317:

if you like call it blind faith, if you like call it living faith, faith is needed here because Christians do not need to SEE before believing. So why can't everyone see the so called supernatural, extraordinary miracle so that they can all believe? Why must I believe first (bind/living faith) before i see miracle?

Because people see and don't believe. Read the Bible, start from Acts 3.

frank317:
did they Op say anything about what determines where one is born? Pls read the question again. Ok, Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and .... this is a quote from Koran right? So what did the bible say about providing if we ask? that we will suffer first?

Sure. When Jesus asked why God had forsaken on the cross, did He receive an answer.

frank317:
this is not a prove of God.
Do you believe in an islamic terrorist when they say Allah had instructed them to kill all infidel? or, does when my grandfather say Amadioha provided food for him and his family mean that Amadioha is a proof of God?

It is. Proof are assumed before hand before being worked out. Both the Muslim and pagan infer God from the natural world. You are blind to this because you need God to do magic tricks. Not that it would make Gods goodness plain tonyou the Israelites complained despite the miracles God did for them. So NO MAGIC , live and die with that.

frank317:
Will you be happier if you trek from Lagos to abuja rather enter flight? So if you think science has not helped the world... what has your God done for the world? what exactly is his function as our creator?

It is possible. Such feats were recorded on Nairaland. As the Creator the universe can't exist without Him just as no invention exists without an inventor. Science can bring all the technology it can get but BAD character will make rubbish of it.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by knowyaself2(m): 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2015
@jadeus, recent scientific discovery shows there're over 100 billion galaxies, not planets or solar systems. So, you can imagine the vastness of the universe. The universe has no begining or end. There's a new scientific postulation/theory that proves this and that's about to replace the big bang theory.
The Abrahamic god is a terrible lie and a wicked deception. But don't make the mistake of thinking we are alone here - there are higher beings, estraterristial beings, known as gods. The earth is not the only place that has intelligent life. These aliens are not omnipotent, omnipresent, etc. But they are highly advanced in the powers of the mind and soul, so magic or witchcraft is a normal way of life for them. They have also attained immortality through genetic engineering.
There's mother nature which is the essence of life and which encompasses all. This is not some big dad in the sky that oversees all as christains believe.
Don't have the time to go into much details now, but ask me anything u need clarification on.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Richirich713: 6:51pm On Nov 18, 2015
frank317:

ok

So God did not know man would fall? At least I have seen something God failed to know. So an all knowing God just created man, hoping all will be well and didnt know that his perfect creation would disobey him? Then God grieved... That means God made a mistake right?

Who said God didn't know man wud fall? I said GOD did know before hand man wud sin but still created them.

frank317:

Yes God didnt have a good motive for allowing his creation to suffer (Are you actually reading what you wrote? Can anyone have a good motive for allowing his loving creation to suffer? whats this?

The problem of suffering is a atheist argument, u the one claiming if suffering exists God can't exist.

U the one who has show that if evil exists, God cannot exist. U need to support the premises of ur argument not me. U the one who needs to show that the fact evil exist contradicts the theist position.

frank317:

reread his question before replying like a blind man... "if God is is caring and compassionate and provides for the faithful..."
the state of Nigeria is only a proof that either God does not exist or he is not compassionate and caring to the faitful as promised in the bible.

Again it's the same argument of suffering, rewriting the problem of evil nd suffering in a different way, u claiming God is not compassionate nd caring since he allows suffering, not realizing that there's no contradiction and that God can be compassionate and still allow suffering to occur until a certain time.

frank317:

oga, did Noah bring all kinds of animal into the ark or not? if yes, how did he put a lion that eats meat for survival in the same ark for forty days? how did he get penguines that survives mostly in arctic regions?

Are u asking if the Lions wud try nd eat the other animals? Are u nw asking if the bible teaches that God cuz the animals to go to Noah then in the ark allows the animals to go on rampage.

No he doesn't have to gather the animals as God cuz the animals to come to him.

frank317:

again what was you all knowing God's reason for the flood, since the so call sin he destroyed man for continued even from the 8 people he chose? did he chose wrongly? is he just incapable of destroying sin? so why destroy man and leaving sin. or why save sinful men after destroying sinful men... was he so angry that he was confused?

Actually u confused, God didnt create robots nd never plan to make us robots after we make mistakes, instead he gave us freewill.

frank317:

so according to you, the earth could actually be more than a million years?

I'm open to arguments.

frank317:

Whats your evidence for God? Have u seen him before?

What is the criteria for this evidence?

And is that the only form of evidence for God, we have to see him? This argument shows ur ignorance nd how close minded u are.

frank317:

What has the universe advancing got to do with God (assuming he actually exists?)

A lot, since if there's no God why should we strive to advance a society, there will be no purpose for life.

frank317:

What has caring for HIV and Small pox got to do with God

A lot for if God doesn't exist, true morals don't exist meaning it's not truly wrong for me to do anything, I can be the most selfish greedy person, only caring for my own needs.

frank317:

many atheists do no believe in God, yet they are of the opinion that people should help those who suffer from hiv. So many people have different concepts of God, so many have never read your bible yet they help the needy and sick... what has that got to do with ur God?

It's not about my God, it's about if there is no God.
If there's no God, there's no right or wrong, only opinion, no reference point, only subjective morals.

frank317:

Oga, not every one is a wicked as you are since u must first read your bible before you know that helping the sick is necessary.

Exactly proving my point, u call me wicked but hw do u know what is wicked , wats ur reference point.

Being a atheist means u believe morals are subjective and not objective.
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by frank317: 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
Richirich713:

Who said God didn't know man wud fall? I said GOD did know before hand man wud sin but still created them.
Sorry I misunderstood you. Oh God knew man would fall? Could I say it was already Gods plan? That's mean, don't you think?

The problem of suffering is a atheist argument, u the one claiming if suffering exists God can't exist.

U the one who has show that if evil exists, God cannot exist. U need to support the premises of ur argument not me. U the one who needs to show that the fact evil exist contradicts the theist position.
I don't get you Well I just wanted to show u how false your reply was and I am glad I have succeeded.

I believe evil exist but its not a spiritual entity. If Peter kills his friend, that's EVIL. Hope u get it?

Now answer my question.... How can your God have a good motive for allowing his creation to suffer?

Again it's the same argument of suffering, rewriting the problem of evil nd suffering in a different way, u claiming God is not compassionate nd caring since he allows suffering, not realizing that there's no contradiction and that God can be compassionate and still allow suffering to occur until a certain time.
Good for you if this makes sense to u. Its does not in anyway make sense to me that a loving creator would allow his children suffer in hunger disease, neglect, depression, some people go through this for a life time. Some babies are born in pain, as young as they are they suffer and cry till they die. If that is love and compassion to u, it is wickedness to me.

Are u asking if the Lions wud try nd eat the other animals? Are u nw asking if the bible teaches that God cuz the animals to go to Noah then in the ark allows the animals to go on rampage.

Lol, this is funny but okay

... After all u believe in virgin birth and talking snakes and donkey... I guess the penguines were like, let's go to the ark, God is calling us. And Noah just opened the ark and they walked right in... Lol.

Actually u confused, God didnt create robots nd never plan to make us robots after we make mistakes, instead he gave us freewill.
So what's his aim... Why get angry and destroy man when man fails to act like robot? He knows man, as free will agent will be curious, will explore his world, will fight back when under pressure, will steal when it is the last option depending on his training, will sell her body for money when its the last option, will dress in a particular way to look good, why then will he get angry when man acts the way he created him? I don't even understand

I'm open to arguments.
OK... But how I wish you think like this for all the things u are not sure of, instead of answering thereby causing more questions.

And is that the only form of evidence for God, we have to see him? This argument shows ur ignorance nd how close minded u are.
U know what evidence is... So don't drag me into blind meaningless discussion.

Who am I to be ignorant of my creator? Is this supposed to be even possible? That a creation can be ignorant of his creator? Think about this.

The fact that I doubt the existence of my creator... Show he is not doing something right. After all he created me and everything is in his hands.

A lot, since if there's no God why should we strive to advance a society, there will be no purpose for life.
Pls what has advancing the society we live in got to do with God? Our purpose in life is to advance our society. Or are u saying that we are advancing our society for God? I don't understand.
The ant that build their ant hill and care for their injured ones, are they doing it for God?

A lot for if God doesn't exist, true morals don't exist meaning it's not truly wrong for me to do anything, I can be the most selfish greedy person, only caring for my own needs.
That's sad for u bro. I just wonder how mean, dangerous and heartless you would have been if u didn't believe in God.
As for me, I don't believe God exists and I am not the most greedy or selfish person. In fact I see a lot like you that believe in God but are worst than the mythical devil.

If there's no God, there's no right or wrong, only opinion, no reference point, only subjective morals.

Its about u bro... Refer to my answer above.
In my world there is no God, yet I can differenciate right from wrong.
When someone hurts me, I will not do same to another cos I know how it hurts... This is my own basis for morality.

Exactly proving my point, u call me wicked but hw do u know what is wicked , wats ur reference point.

How do I know what is wicked? What kind of question is this?
Like I said, if someone kills my son, I will not kill another man's son because I know how it hurts. This is how I know what is wicked.

Besides ur God is the worst example of morality

If he forgave Adam and eve, man wouldn't be suffering.
All the deaths he sanctioned in the bible
Even killing of every first son of Egypt to let isrealites go is wickedness because he had other options
Sending his son to die
Allowing man to suffer despite know what to do about it
Destroying man with flood
Creating hell for unrepentant men... How do u learn to be moral from such a person?

1 Like

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
Richirich713:

I'm open to arguments.

brother to be frank with u.. u make no sense and u look confused and contradicting..

so u re saying god knows all but he keeps quiet and allow things to happen?

then why call him god?
Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by winner01(m): 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
krattoss:
lol. am really tired of commenting on all these religious ishs .

but u know what I find to be absurd?

people failing to understand that they re worshipping a Jewish mythology concept.
So you are just getting tired of stup1dity, you shouldnt even be here in the first place.

People are worshipping a "concept" and you are so concerned that you hardly let a day go by without showing some obsession about a "myth". Does it make you sleep betterundecided?. Crap!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? by frank317: 8:52pm On Nov 18, 2015
winner01:
So you are just getting tired of stup1dity, you shouldnt even be here in the first place.

People are worshipping a "concept" and you are so concerned that you hardly let a day go by without showing some obsession about a "myth". Does it make you sleep betterundecided?. Crap!!!

Yet to hug a transformer? Your God does not exist... You cannot do anything about it. If u are angry, yell him to come and prove himself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

13 Bloodlines Of The Illuminati / Something You Need To Know About the evil of Witchcraft, Magic And Sorcery / This Is What To Do To Be Born Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 210
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.