Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa (1229 Views)

Can Bees Really Make Honey From Cannabis? / Hot Peppers Lovers, Let's Talk About Spicy Peppers and food / Commercial Bread Production In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 8:22pm On May 21, 2009
What role does african killer bees play in the pollinations of plants and crops in africa?Going by their fearsome nature,all i can see of them is devastations and people destroying their hives where ever they are found instead of keeping them.

How can manageable bee keeping contributes to african economy,just like it does in the west?
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by tpiah: 9:23pm On May 21, 2009
are you reading my mind or did we just browse the same news channels this morning?

I was thinking about this earlier today.

It's so surprising seeing someone start a thread about it.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 7:10pm On May 22, 2009
Yeah,let us talk about it,it an avenue untapped,like so many others.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 7:24pm On May 22, 2009
I wonder what agric faculties in nigeraian universities are for,no practical researches,no innovations,no creations,every thing is just left in hands of nature

I have seenĀ  those killer bees attacked people and some were not lucky enough to live,so to an average nigerian,they are just predators to be killed or avoided like snakes.

Their economic and natural significance is seriously overlooked like every other thing in nigeria,some how they are wild because people treat them wild and if we can learn to live along side them,they could be tamed and exploited.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 7:40pm On May 22, 2009
It's just like all the aromatic and herbal spices that are wasting away in african bushes that should be in the world market,known only to wise old women and few old men that dying out in the communities and as always,no documentations,no conservations,no exploitations.

Most of the spices and herbs are very effective for fighting off cold,fever,stomach aches,name it,whatever african condition can throw at you.Spices market is more like gold market,europeans are crazy for spices,exotic.

Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by ifyalways(f): 12:00am On May 23, 2009
Are killer bees different from Ordinary bees?
Generally,agriculture and livestock rearing is not encouraged In Nigeria.Plus sometimes the capital and technology needed is not readily available for the very few that might be intrestedĀ  undecided
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by tpiah: 1:25am On May 23, 2009
I think people may be rearing them quietly in some parts of Africa.

Not that I'm sure though.

In countries like the US, bees are big business and agriculture is heavily dependent on them.

Killer bees are more dangerous than ordinary bees.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2009
What is the main source of honey supply in nigerai?I remember my father use get it as presents from some local seasoned farmers,used mainly for eating nigeria black pears which surprisingly is not in the wider world market.Those pears are delicious,tasty and nutritious,yet it is not i the world menu,giving the fascinations for fruits in the west

And why are african bees wild?unlike the docile western ones.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by tpiah: 2:58pm On May 23, 2009
redsun:

What is the main source of honey supply in nigerai?I remember my father use get it as presents from some local seasoned farmers,used mainly for eating nigeria black pears which surprisingly is not in the wider world market.Those pears are delicious,tasty and nutritious,yet it is not i the world menu,giving the fascinations for fruits in the west

And why are african bees wild?unlike the docile western ones.

I heard its very difficult if not impossible to domesticate them.

I dont know where local honey is obtained from. I just saw it being hawked occasionally. Mainly needed for baby christenings but the one we used at home was store bought.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 4:53pm On May 23, 2009
Honestly,don't you think we are blessed people with alot of vacuums to fill,unlike the bored average oyinbos that have almost reached their peak,who does nothing but fill their time with football,excessive alcohol,cigarette and all dangerous substances know to man.

Their ancestors are the ones that had fun and adventures to lay their today's foundation,now it's our turn to set precedences for the nest generation,sifting through all the mistakes of oyinbo and building a harmonious and equal society

We will get there,the only thing in a hurry is man,but the world is here for ever.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by redsun(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2009
A recent BBC documentary shows that western bees are dying epidemically from insecticides poisoning and people still doubt the dangerous effects of pesticides and insecticides on human,with all the devastating and unfounded cancers.

Every time i eat a non organic apple,i taste the chemicals,no matter how much i washed it.I just hope africa don't go pesticide and insecticides crazy like the west.Deviating from our seasonal and natural cultivations will spell more doom for us.

Somehow,average african farmers uses no pesticides and fertilizers but they still come up with bountiful harvest,which meas the circle of nature is alive.
Re: African Killer Bees And Food Production In Africa by tpiah: 6:56pm On May 23, 2009
redsun:

Honestly,don't you think we are blessed people with alot of vacuums to fill,unlike the bored average oyinbos that have almost reached their peak,who does nothing but fill their time with football,excessive alcohol,cigarette and all dangerous substances know to man.

Their ancestors are the ones that had fun and adventures to lay their today's foundation,now it's our turn to set precedences for the nest generation,sifting through all the mistakes of oyinbo and building a harmonious and equal society

We will get there,the only thing in a hurry is man,but the world is here for ever.

true.

Unfortunately, people are more bent on self destructing than progress.

There's little others can do about that.

Sausage Roll / What Inspired The Ghana Jollof Vs Nigeria N Jollof E-WAR / Beans As My Birthday Food