Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun (55875 Views)

Jonathan, Sirleaf, Ikpeazu At Obasanjo's 80th Birthday (Photos) / Patience Jonathan Hits Back At Buhari - Nigerian Women, Leave KITCHEN Now / Ghana’s President Hurls Insults At Obasanjo At African Forum In London-bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by myners007: 6:30am On Nov 22, 2015
ormer President Goodluck Jona­than yesterday in United States of America, took a swipe on the former President, Olusegun Obasanjo over his third term bid, saying that if not for a vibrant parliament in place, he would have had his way.

Jonathan spoke in the Unit­ed States at an event titled: “Presidential elections and democratic consolidation in Africa: Case studies on Nige­ria and Tanzania” and co-host­ed by National Democratic Institute (NDI) and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

According to Jonathan, the strong resistance of the Nige­rian National Assembly actu­ally frustrated the third term bid of former President Oluse­gun Obasanjo.

“Of course, I was a gover­nor at that time under the Peo­ple’s Democratic Party (PDP), the same party as Obasanjo, but due to strong resistance from the National Assembly, the third term bid failed.”

According to Jonathan, Af­rica needs strong parliaments to checkmate sit-tight presi­dents who influence parlia­ments to consider amendment to the constitution that would extend their stay in office.

“Changing constitutions to eliminate term limits in order to favour incumbents is incon­sistent with democratic prin­ciples and reduces confidence in democratic institutions.”

While addressing the issue of weak African institutions, Jonathan observed that Afri­can democracies are becom­ing stronger, adding the situa­tion would greatly improve in the next decade.

He further noted that al­though some leaders in Af­rica are still able to manipulate their way to elongate their tenure, the people are increas­ingly raising their awareness and African parliaments are becoming stronger to be able to resist such tendencies in future. He made reference to Burkina Faso, where he noted that although the parliament approved an extra term for the former president, the people resisted that, forcing the presi­dent and speaker of the parlia­ment to go on exile. Also in Senegal, Jonathan, noted that the former President thinking he would win another term in­creased the tenure of his office to seven from five years. But the opposition candidate won the election and returned the tenure to five years, believing that seven years was too long for one term.

On the issue of security contracts for which his for­mer Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is currently facing charges, it is believed that the Jonathan administration spent a sizable amount of money equipping all the security and intelligence outfits in the country over his five-year pe­riod in the presidency.

But Jonathan stated that his administration never awarded a single contract that was worth $2 billion, stressing that the economy couldn’t have supported such huge amount of money to be awarded at once. “At no time did I award a single contract of $2 billion for procurement of weapons.”

Jonathan stated that like most governments around the world, there might have been issues of corruption during his time as President. He however maintained that the story was being unnecessarily embel­lished, adding that there are ongoing investigations and court processes that would es­tablish the truth.

For instance, he frowned at the allegation that some officials in his administration were stealing one million bar­rels of crude oil a day at a time when Nigeria’s production peaked at 2.25 million barrels.

“To claim that half of that was being stolen on a daily basis doesn’t add up, other­wise the government wouldn’t have functioned at all to even be able to pay salaries,” Jona­than said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/jonathan-hits-back-at-obasanjo/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Fynpatra(f): 6:32am On Nov 22, 2015
Team obasanjo live jonah
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by ENGRJCJ(m): 6:33am On Nov 22, 2015
Jonathan is my man anytime, Oby too like power dats all

125 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by sammyj: 6:35am On Nov 22, 2015
What I see here is that GEJ election lost is still paining him since he is no longer relevant in the political line! !! cool

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Beesluv: 6:36am On Nov 22, 2015
That's politic. They can now settle
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by johnmartus(m): 6:44am On Nov 22, 2015
BUT WHO GAVE AMIGO THE GUTS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 22, 2015
Jonathan is giving a stern warning of the ongoing blackmail on Senators by the APC.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by 49cents(m): 6:50am On Nov 22, 2015
GEJ, first statesman to say the Truth to that treacherous snake called obasanjo, a man whose first daughter disowned and whose son accussed him of sleeping with his own wife but yet is highly respected by his tribe, says a lot about their general judgement on life

240 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 22, 2015
49cents:
GEJ, first statesman to say the Truth to that treacherous snake called obasanjo, a man whose first daughter disowned and whose son accussed him of sleeping with his own wife but yet is highly respected by his tribe, says a lot about their general judgement on life

How about their front man and defacto political leader who is a total fraud, convicted drug trafficker and kleptomaniac who has ripped them a new hole?

Sometimes I wonder where the Yoruba gets the audacity to be a critic of the central govt where their region is led by immoral hedonistic criminals

169 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 22, 2015
OBJ is a nincompoop.. .GEJ

24 Likes

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by bewla(m): 7:01am On Nov 22, 2015
First to do no dey pain but last to do na him bad pass

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by bewla(m): 7:02am On Nov 22, 2015

1 Like

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by BABAKABIRU301(f): 7:07am On Nov 22, 2015
YORUBA RO NUUUU

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by IlekeHD: 7:07am On Nov 22, 2015
They both should go to hell. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by 49cents(m): 7:18am On Nov 22, 2015
adonis89:
tru bro. Dat tribe just evil and dangerous like rattle snake.

The Yorubas sdefault survival mechanism is pretense.....they act as though they are loyal, or they agree to your position while secretly plotting behind you their attack.....

I have had three back to back experiences with three "close" friends this year alone

I still live with them freely but with more awareness and still have about five as staff....i think is just their cultural way of self preservation

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by momentum85(m): 7:22am On Nov 22, 2015
Do me I do u, man no go vex!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by 49cents(m): 7:24am On Nov 22, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:

How about their front man and defacto political leader who is a total fraud, convicted drug trafficker and kleptomaniac who has ripped them a new hole?

Sometimes I wonder where the Yoruba gets the audacity to be a critic of the central govt where their region is led by immoral hedonistic criminals

Since the average yoruba man is "deceptive and crafty"....these, are for them, their means of self preservation.....they rather not be confrontational but will lie like a harmless snake to gain your trust and then gbam strike.....

Tinubu and obasanjo are the kings in this affair that is why they are sincerely glorified and extolled by the average yoruba person as great and a model of emulation

I remember aregbesola saying "Obasanjo is a blessing to the Yoruba Nation"......so many yoruba kids on Nairaland deem Tinubu as a Hero they would like to be like

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by looseweight: 7:37am On Nov 22, 2015
Some re just full of hate and malice. Instead of commenting on the topic, you start castigating a tribe as if yours is saint. With you guys still present, your region and state will never move forward because the last time I check, its only in yourubaland you can have an igbo king and seriki. Which region can you try such with?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by sandrajazmin(f): 7:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Gej my heroooooooo!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 22, 2015
49cents:

Who respects that old foól
Most yorubas are not Hypocrites like you people...
A complete inglorious bastąrd is who Obj is.

Omo yoruba nimi but, Obj is a thief, Tinubu is also a thief but I respect him for his political intelligence... But Obj is a complete senile ídiot.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by sule17(m): 7:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Audu for kogi state

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by freshness2020: 7:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Wait o, so obasanjo is yet to admit this fact?
And some ignoramus folks still call this crystal liar a mentor.
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by millionboi(m): 7:39am On Nov 22, 2015
Obj why
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by KunleBoye: 7:39am On Nov 22, 2015
This guy want to pass his boundary just because some misguided youths have decided to trend him for a day.

Jonathan should save himself from further disgrace by staying clear from OBJs path

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by efilefun(m): 7:39am On Nov 22, 2015
But let's call a spade a spade, what's the difference between both of them, they both left the country in mess after leaving power, they both turned the nation upside down while seeking extra tenure in office. Dokpesi is still facing the consequences of the dirty game he played for GEJ. All those being accused under GEJ can't deny GEJ's involvement in their atrocities or else he was just a figurehead throughout his tenure. Obasanjo's tenure also should have been probed by GEJ assuming he meant good for the nation. How will someone spend such Billions of dollar on electricity and the nation is still wallowing in darkness. It simply shows they both after the same thing THEIR POCKETS!!!
The only people I see useless here are those ignorant youths who call this same man their role model, he shouldn't have accepted the result and see what happens to him and his family, the same America he went to freely would never ever had been possible cuz he would be hiding right now

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by pretydiva(f): 7:40am On Nov 22, 2015
Just 2 eat d national cake
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by jammyunn(m): 7:40am On Nov 22, 2015
OBJ was/is one of Nigeria's biggest problem!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:40am On Nov 22, 2015
Its ok

When two Lions fight what will happen?

Who knows??
Re: Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun by Bitterleafsoup: 7:40am On Nov 22, 2015
The World already knows what 95% of Nigerians are yet to understand. GEJ is the best leader that Nigeria has ever had to date.

Like he said after all the probes we will see who was truely clueless, and from all indications he will be vindicated!

49 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ben Bruce Reacts To AMCON Closing Silverbird / "My Bills Are Getting Heavy" - Dino Melaye Cries Out In Song / Nigerians React To Buhari’s 'Fastest Response Ever'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.