Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? (19700 Views)

Married Folks: What Changed After You Married Your Spouse? / Are You Married And Facing Challenges? Would You Like To Share To Help Others? / Do You Really Love The Person You Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by sss2015: 12:49pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:

why won't you ask her to?

Really she's your wife oo remember.

The man is a lazy man

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Chinom(m): 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:
Ladies can you change the name of a property,you bought from your savings worth millions of naira to his name?

Really easy to do I guess.

The way you posed the question is wrong anyway. She will have to change the name of the property to her new name which includes my name. That's actually the most legally secure option.

For example, Linda Ikeji will change the name of the property at Banana island to Linda ikeji Chinom. That is the way it's done.
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Kimoni: 12:53pm On Nov 23, 2015
Change kor, APC ni

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 23, 2015
midehi2:
gbam!
Men are not smiling at all. With what is happening now, it is not advisable

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by blessingee: 12:54pm On Nov 23, 2015
Chinom:
Where I come from, a woman CAN NOT own land. 'nuff said. And a married woman, totally not.

You must come from somewhere in Asia grin grin grin WTF!!!

4 Likes

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 23, 2015
NO.
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by blessingee: 12:57pm On Nov 23, 2015
I remember advising a friend who was in a scenario similar to this. I just told her to change it to Mr and Mrs....That settles the whole trouble. Even men nowadays are advised not to put their names on properties, but instead make it collective so as not to send a wrong signal to the lady.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by noblegrex: 12:59pm On Nov 23, 2015
Lazy guys wanted that,foolish husbands does that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by lastpage: 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
pet4ril:
No...... The husband is on a mission, she better be wise..... End time husbands

Fair enough, as long as she does not have any issues with me making my mother or Sister, my NEXT OF KIN, IN MY WILL!
grin grin grin grin grin
.....they are all women" that l love dearly. kiss kiss kiss

"You are either IN ...or you are OUT"
. undecided undecided undecided undecided

Lastpage!
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
amokeme:
I won't necessarily "hide" it from him, I won't even talk about it. It's a different thing for him to ask me if I have a land, and I say no (now, this is deceit and not being honest ) but in a situation where I don't talk about it or let it known, he won't have any idea that such exist, and I don't think that is dishonesty.

Meaning you don't mind if your husband refuses to tell you about his owned properties?
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
Simply put, NO. What I have before marriage is mine. What he had before is his. What we gain together is ours. Get a prenup.....

4 Likes

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by nneh1(f): 1:02pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:

His wife, did he marry the landed property?
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 1:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
pcguru1:

but for you hiding it might have it's positive side, because I have watched enough CSI and Law and Order to know husbands can kill their wives just to get their hands on her property.

What is good for the goose?

Meaning a man should also hide his since wives can kill their husbands to get their hands on his properties, so no need telling either party about your assets which in plain English is NEVER TO MARRY since both don't trust each-other.

The only reasonable reason for marital vows is TRUST!

3 Likes

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 1:08pm On Nov 23, 2015
nneh1:

His wife, did he marry the landed property?

And she married his landed properties?
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by amokeme(f): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2015
omogidi234:

You don't have to change the property to his name. The property is already his when you are married under the law (Marriage Act). To the issue of whether you will tell him or not, one of the challenges we have in this generation is that we use less grievous words for bad things to make it less frightening. e.g Adultery, we say it is extra-marital affair. Adultery sound frightening, while EMA sounds cool. The truth is when you are married to someone and you have something that you are not telling him/her either by omission or commission, the appropriate word is DECEIT. It is one of the factors that scatter marriage like fast. If you can by omission not tell him/her about your property, then you can do same if you had a child before marriage.
so why shold he insist I change it??

you are not comparing a child to a property are you? And iv replied a mention as regards that
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 23, 2015
The "insisting" that she does it leaves a bad taste in the mouth
This is totally different from her choosing to do it out of her own free will

3 Likes

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by suckerr: 1:11pm On Nov 23, 2015
This was how Nigerians were chanting "CHANJ!, CHANJ! Look where it has landed us. U better think twice!! shocked
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by amokeme(f): 1:14pm On Nov 23, 2015
freshcvvs:

Meaning you don't mind if your husband refuses to tell you about his owned properties?
I really don't care about what he had BEFORE we got married,
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by repogirl(f): 1:15pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:
Ladies can you change the name of a property,you bought from your savings worth millions of naira to his name?

she should not try it ooooooo. If that will be the reason for the marriage not to happen, then let it be. The guy dey eye the property seriously, Thief!
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by lastpage: 1:16pm On Nov 23, 2015
amokeme:
I won't agree to the word "lying" smiley cause it is not
Let's say she has malaria( cheesy) now, she didn't tell him about it because he did not ask.. she goes to the hospital for treatment, and act as tho she never had malaria, will you regard that as lying as well?

Let us say she is SS... and did not revel it to her husband who is AS.

They then have children who are sickle cell inherited.

That is still as much LYING as telling him she is AA
. undecided undecided

if Saraki filled an Asset declaration form, and he "intentionally or forgot or omitted to mention" that he has five houses in Ikoyi....

He would have committed an offence

What about if your husband "forgot" to mention it to you at the time of marriage, that he has another woman carrying his pregnancy...

Would you consider him a liar?

Source the Geese, ...Source the Gander.

Lastpage!
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Pidggin(f): 1:19pm On Nov 23, 2015
No, I can't, what is wrong with my own name na, abi I no be person? grin

I no fit cheesy
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by gemale(m): 1:21pm On Nov 23, 2015
peeparty:

As a man, let me warn ladies nt 2 try it. Worst case put it in d name of your children. This is naija & most men here r nt trustworthy.

1 Like

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by erico2k2(m): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
naijaboiy:

Willingly is not a problem. But I won't ask her to do it for my own selfish reasons.
I don't think u asking her to change it amounts to selfishness. It's only proper for U to start building on it.so would the house and land bear diff names?
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by eromspete(m): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2015
Its not your property remember?

In whose name will you buy a car when you get married?

peeparty:

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by erico2k2(m): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
Pidggin:
No, I can't, what is wrong with my own name na, abi I no be person? grin

I no fit cheesy
When U get married your names is forgotten U bear his name in all official documents. .passport bank account etc
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by iriskiki(f): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2015
If you believe what you are suggesting, Why bother asking?

If she wants to fine. Personally I won't. Anything I buy after the marriage, I can consider using my marital name.

peeparty:

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by iriskiki(f): 1:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
In actuality a woman is not REQUIRED to change her name. But it is the norm to do so. Which is not bad. All this property nonsense and the unpredictability of marriage makes using maiden names sometimes an unfortunate thing women must do.

erico2k2:

When U get married your names is forgotten U bear his name in all official documents. .passport bank account etc
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by freshcvvs: 1:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
amokeme:
I really don't care about what he had BEFORE we got married,

Hope you haven't or didn't request for anything from him during your dating period since you don't care about what you had before you got married, so giving you anything or expecting him to give you anything before marriage would be nothing but hypocrisy.
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by amokeme(f): 1:29pm On Nov 23, 2015
lastpage:

Let us say she is SS... and did not revel it to her husband who is AS.

They then have children who are sickle cell inherited.

That is still as much LYING as telling him she is AA
. undecided undecided

if Saraki filled an Asset declaration form, and he "intentionally or forgot or omitted to mention" that he has five houses in Ikoyi....

He would have committed an offence

What about if your husband "forgot" to mention it to you at the time of marriage, that he has another woman carrying his pregnancy...

Would you consider him a liar?

Source the Geese, ...Source the Gander.

Lastpage!
can we be reasonable with our comparing "theories"? Really... Your SS AS theories are extremely harmful to the marriage, it involves the life of the unborn kids, and should not under any excuse be omitted, now, tell me the harm of not telling your boyfriend, you have a land, have in your relationship?.. is it life threatening? Or what exactly,? Cause I don't understand.
Take this senario, my boyfriend has a car and he never mentioned it to me, I never asked him if he did. So can I say he is not being honest with me? undecided does it even make sense?

2 Likes

Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Pidggin(f): 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
erico2k2:

Lmao grin I will not change the name on my property to his. Even if he uses Jazz it will not work, this does not mean I will not love him, far from it. My property will be for my kids when I am gone, not for my husband.
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
freshcvvs:

What is good for the goose?

Meaning a man should also hide his since wives can kill their husbands to get their hands on his properties, so no need telling either party about your assets which in plain English is NEVER TO MARRY since both don't trust each-other.

The only reasonable reason for marital vows is TRUST!

You took the word out of my mouth. Trust is all that matters
Re: Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
The man must be a very lazy man.He's only interested in the woman's property,not love.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should My Girlfriend Go And Collect Her Things From Her Ex / Should A Married Woman Be A Bridesmaid? / A Surrogate Mother Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.