Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,916 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) (28007 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo, Toyin Saraki, Bolanle Ambode At HID Awolowo's Burial (photos) / Obasanjo At HID Awolowo's Burial: Caption These Photos / Buhari Arrives HID Awolowo's Burial (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by jaymichael(m): 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
FreeGlobe:

I didnt see any prominent igbo leader there, how is that hatred
I saw Ogbonaya Onu and Rochas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Osirimononaye(m): 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
dharay99:

Goat.!
Deranged Mugumanus Freak.
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by homirefacuny(m): 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
An honor though almost all of them are thieves... BTW RIP to mama.

1 Like

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Osirimononaye(m): 1:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
Lange:

Mama HID being the backbone of the late sage Obafemi Awolowo has imparted positively in the lives of so many people. With a settled home front, Papa Awo was able to carry out human capital development of the entire western region. I benefitted immensely from Awolowo ' s free education programme, to the glory of God today I'm grateful to the modest achievement that education has given me. I know of many professors, SANS, Hospital consultants, seasoned accountants all over the world that are a product of Awolowo's family's good nature. I hope this answers your question.
Answered In A Matured Way.
#Kudos....Hmmm So We Still Have Some Matured Nairalanders.
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by anonimi: 2:06pm On Nov 25, 2015
Mamatee07:
Everyone is there

....except the current Asiwaju of Yoruba politics who thoroughly ABUSED her and the entire Awo family in 2011 in his Nation newspaper with Sam Omatseye as the Master's Voice.

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Winning123: 2:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
Mamatee07:
Everyone is there

Except you. Sorry
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by anonimi: 2:16pm On Nov 25, 2015
BTW, when will our leaders looters sit down in their domain to WORK instead of showing up for every EVENT when many are owing months of salaries to civil servants et al who ALREADY worked?
Maybe when WE the 200 million MUMU citizens start asking the right questions on ACCOUNTABILITY
That way we do not have to WASTE our money and that of our parents studying in Britain only to be "discriminated" against because our braids do not conform to the particular company's dress/uniform code angry

https://www.nairaland.com/2761087/lara-odoffin-nigerian-loses-job

https://www.nairaland.com/2761716/500-nigerians-deported-uk-arrive
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by OsamedeHazard10(m): 2:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
Who she help......even jesus said let the dead bury the dead so all those dignitaries are just waste of time because its our money rhat will be spent there
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Kassidy90(m): 2:28pm On Nov 25, 2015
Amaechi be like ha! "o wo ankara o je semo" means u no wear ankara u no go eat semo

1 Like

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by opeyemioluwatoy: 2:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
Rip mama
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by degenesis8: 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
omofunaab:
Rip mama awolowo.... But to be sincere I have not seen someone buried like this before in my life.. Even OGTV news is dedicated to covering this entire burial... Golden caskets, lots of the state resources being diverted to her burial and still the government is owing salaries of lecturers.... So I decided to make little findings on my own about mama awolowo, what she has achieved to nation building to warrant such type of burial... I could say I was disappointed because other than her being the wife of the premier of the Western region( late obafemi awolowo) , she was just a normal businesswoman.. Yes she was with her husband campaigning during the days of UPN and AG, but that is expected of her as a loyal wife to the husband... Even late Stella obasanjo accompanied her husband to campaign rallies also and she wasn't buried like this.. Current first ladies were with their husbands too during campaigns.. It's a normal thing . Another one was that she stood by her husband when he was in prison.... Well that is also normal for an house wife to do... Are we supposed to praise her for not abandoning her legally married husband or we should sing praises of her for not betraying her husband.. The likes of winnie Mandela, Mrs funmilayo ransom kuti and even the late kudirat Abiola that went extra mile to achieve democracy for we Nigerians have contributed to their respective nations . We all remember baba awolowo for what he did for this nation, his legacies will never be forgotten but mama will always be remembered as baba's wife and nothing more. The honor we are giving her is because of her late husband, I know she will be a role model to a lot of intending house wives... The state government should just please give mama a befitting burial and stop wasting our resources on irrelevant things.. Inviting Ebenezer obey, sunny ade, wale ayuba, musiliu haruna ishola and other artists to her burial will not bring her back... I think she will be more happy if u construct roads build hospitals and name them after her.... I think she will be joyous wherever she is.

Rest in peace mama

You have spoken my mind.

Why the waste of resouces?

1 Like

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by anonimi: 2:58pm On Nov 25, 2015
omofunaab:
Rip mama awolowo.... But to be sincere I have not seen someone buried like this before in my life.. Even OGTV news is dedicated to covering this entire burial... Golden caskets, lots of the state resources being diverted to her burial and still the government is owing salaries of lecturers.... So I decided to make little findings on my own about mama awolowo, what she has achieved to nation building to warrant such type of burial... I could say I was disappointed because other than her being the wife of the premier of the Western region( late obafemi awolowo) , she was just a normal businesswoman.. Yes she was with her husband campaigning during the days of UPN and AG, but that is expected of her as a loyal wife to the husband...
Rest in peace mama

If you investigate further you will find out that Vacant Pastor (VP) Osinbajo who is her grandson-in-law and the Ogun state governor, Amosun have HIJACKED the burial to score political points for their very useless HYPOCRITICAL party, APShit.
For those who have forgotten this was the same ACN/APC led by the JagbaJantis of Bourdillon that ABUSED and cursed the old woman just four years ago oh! shocked

Babasessy:

Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article)

The Awolowo rebirth in the Southwest has inspired gongs, songs and rhetoric of sorts. But they have missed one point.

It occurred to me in Abeokuta last week amidst the big crowds and euphoria of the swearing-in of Senator Ibikunle Amosun as governor. In all the states from Lagos to Edo, where Awo has witnessed ideological resurgence, hardly a single family member has played a role.

So we have an Awo family without an Awo. That is an irony. But history overwhelms us with this sort of twist. Obafemi Awolowo toiled for his reputation. His roots were lowly, he toiled to school both home and abroad, launched into careers in law, business, journalism and eventually politics. He carved a niche for himself, and became the first methodical and charismatic leftist in our history.  Other leftists abounded but they did not inspire comparable drama and following.

He faced tribulations, went to jail, failed in elections, won a few, but he imprinted his ideas and legacy in the country, and no single mortal has beaten him in the history of this country. His greatest achievement was in the area of ideas, and that was how he fashioned a family. Most families are born of biology but his issued from ideology. That family suffered with him.

In a spoof of Jesus Christ, these were the men who followed him in his teachings, and endured with him in his temptations. So he formed a kingdom for them in the Southwest, in the old Western Region, presiding over his projects, his legacies and people.

In all of these, the family he had was not his flesh and blood. In another spoof of Christ, who were his family anyway? Those who were with him must be counted as his family. So, I combed in the ambience of Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), and I found none. I went to Ogun, I frisked the crowd under Amosun’s bower, hardly any. Around Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola in Osun, I could not lay a finger. With Governor Kayode Fayemi in Ekiti, where are the forbears of Awo? Yet, I can hear the chants of Awo. Hardly in any of the inaugural speeches or any of their other public intervention would you miss the philtre and filter of Awo from these gentlemen. To parody Novelist Joseph Conrad, they are the sparks from Awo’s sacred fire, the messengers of the might within the man.

Already all of them are pursuing the legacy ideas of Awo: free education, free health services, infrastructural development, urban renewal and economic engineering.

Lagos has posted itself as the John the Baptist. The others are putting up valiant efforts, and the world of course is watching to see how well they will perform. It will call for great work, resourcefulness and cooperation. They are the real Awoists, and Awo was a man of rigour and vigour.

The Awo son that many expected to take after the father was Olusegun, who unfortunately died in a car crash. We shall never know if he could have pulled it off.  But the others have not shown much of the paterfamilias’ brio and depth. In the past decade, under this republic, they have blended with the wrong crowd. Even H.I.D, hobnobbed with Alao-Akala, who brought illiteracy to governance; with Oyinlola who turned the grace of office into a hell-hole of despots; with Daniel who could not arrest his quick fall into megalomania.

I wrote once that this woman whom Awo once described as the jewel of inestimable value has lost value to his cause. If he came back to life, he would have committed the extraordinary act of divorce after death. Even his newspaper, The Tribune, has so stumbled and fallen that it swims in Awo’s vomit.

Groucho Max, one of the funniest satirists in American history, said of a man that he got his looks from his father. Then he quipped, “He was a plastic surgeon.” That means the son is not his real son, or he did not inherit his natural looks. Ideologically, when we talk of Awo’s family, the chief inheritor is Asiwaju Bola Tinubu as the leader of all the others. He was the one who stuck his neck out. He could have lost his life or ended his career in politics. The so-called real Awolowos who bear his surname cannot come up for mention. They are Awolowos but not Awoists. They stabbed their father in the back. They have committed ideological parricide.

The only person that made a real try was Awolowo-Dosunmu in the early 1990s and she lost roundly. She was accused of trying to ride her father’s coattail. Political families are good for democracies. They can exemplify the high ideals of diligence, dignity, ideas, character. We have seen these in such families as the Kennedys, the Adamses, the Roosevelts, the Ghandis. They just don’t claim family. They appeal to the high ideals that endeared the families to their societies.

It’s also an irony that these families are falling into twilight. Some of them have vanished. Enoch Powell, a British MP, once gave us the famous line: “All political lives, unless they are cut off midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure because that is the nature of politics and human affairs.”

Columnist Ambassador Dapo Fafowora adverted to this idea in a recent outing, and I debated it with him afterwards. I don’t believe that a political life should be judged by how it ends but what it means. The quote is often missed by many who mistake “careers” for “lives.” A political life should be judged by its legacies. If we judged Awo by how he ended, we would look at him only as the loser to Shagari. That is why I see an intrinsic mischief in Enoch’s quote. But I would agree that political families end also in failure if you judge how they peter out and not the legacy.

Awo’s legacy is alive and well. Members of other families in flesh and blood can carry on. Immediate families tend to suffer from what an author, Noemie Emery, describes as dynastic curse. The children tend to be intimidated by the standards set by the fathers. So they just don’t want to try. They feel they cannot match them or come even close.  The problem probably comes from the fathers themselves. The Adams, who produced important presidents, later gave birth to moral vagrants and drunks. The Bush daughters showed themselves as party girls when their father was contesting the political battle of his life.

But Joe Kennedy groomed his sons assiduously, and they excelled in politics. They also had a fair share of tragedies. Ted Kennedy regained his sobriety and voice in America after a season of debauchery. In Nigeria, we are seeing the Sarakis fade. A Saraki – Bukola - is wiping out the Sarakis from politics. It is a classic case of oedipal tragedy, something I predicted earlier this year on this page.

It is not late though for the flesh-and-blood Awolowos to join their father’s fold. But they must be genuine. Awo was the most important Yoruba personage in history after Oduduwa. They had stellar men like Oranmiyan, Balogun Latosa, Lisabi, Sodeke, et al. None of them had the unifying vision and organisational acumen that Awolowo gave the race. The wife, children and grandchildren should not watch others glow in his jewel without them.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/columnist/monday/sam-omatseye/index.1.html
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by oake(m): 3:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
The president of Nigeria has arrived at the burial of Late HID Awolowo!

1 Like

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by SAMBARRY: 3:13pm On Nov 25, 2015
All these dignitaries just came to do show off and notice me.if not how did Mrs awolowo touched their lives personally at individual levels
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by mikron(m): 4:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
GudluckIBB:

God bless you bro!

Besides, she wasn't a public office holder, why is she been celebrated all over?

How many roads did she tile with her money? She is a major share holder of coca cola, how many times did she volunteer to send trucks of coca cola to IDP's in North east?

Abeg all these na noise jare
they tar road not tile.

Road =tar
House =tile
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2015
MizMyColi:
shocked

Ahn Ahn
But I thought she was already buried on that day they were carrying har casket all around town?

They di lying in state in diff states so pple cld pay their respects.
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by difego: 5:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
GudluckIBB:

God bless you bro!

Besides, she wasn't a public office holder, why is she been celebrated all over?

How many roads did she tar with her money? She is a major share holder of coca cola, how many times did she volunteer to send trucks of coca cola to IDP's in North east?

Abeg all these na noise jare

ode ma nie o! Shes only celebrated because of awolowo her husband. Nothing else. In yorubas eyes, awolowo was d "jewel of inesteemable value", he transformed yorubaland and brought millions of families out of poverty through d farm settlements and free education. He who is meant to be honored must be honored. Its not for u to understand.

2 Likes

Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by fejikudz(m): 6:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
Lange:

We the Yorubas believe in teaching our people how to fish by empowering them. We don't see wisdom in promoting a culture that will breed terrorism and in the process create confusion that will lead to IDP. So if we voluntarily donate to the course of IDPs take that as an act of magnanimity. Let the Dangotes and the Dantatas and the Ishyaku Rabius of Nigeria help their folks. Afterall they all actively support the system that generates the insurgency in the North.
Nice one
Re: HID Awolowo's Burial - Live Updates (Pics) by bashydemy(m): 8:41pm On Nov 25, 2015
Mamatee07:
Everyone is there
Yes oo Only PDP no come...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aminu Sambo Kidnapped In Kaduna / Live Pictures From Jos... / President Buhari Delegates Osinbajo To Represent Him In Akwa Ibom State Today.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.