Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,326 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (795 Views)

Are you Nigerian first and tribe second or equally both? / What Should Be Done To Make Our Politicans Put The Country First? / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tamme: 4:32pm On May 25, 2009
I'm looking forward to when a Yoruba man could be governor of delta state  and a southerner governor of a northern state.

I believe one day our country will be like that
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 4:35pm On May 25, 2009
See who is posting this.

Moreover there is a thread on this already

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-228735.0.html
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by blacksta(m): 4:36pm On May 25, 2009
tamme:

I'm looking forward to when a Yoruba man could be governor of delta state  and a southerner governor of a northern state.

in the United States before it became a perfect union, people thought of themselves of being citizens of their respective states not as being citizens of the USA. It was till the constitution was passed that people finally identified with the country as being theirs and theirs alone.

I believe one day our country will be like that

This is simply a genuine hatred for Nigeria.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 25, 2009
I think we should start from easier things that are achievable

we have to start by rejecting the Notion that it is in the interest of Nigeria for tribes and ethnic groups to unite  along ethnic lines for electoral purposes

immagine if all whites in America united to present a white candiate, all blacks unite to present a black candidate, and all Latinos do the same

the quality of political debate and by extension leadership  in America would have been as undermined as we have it in Nigeria

we need to first promote politics based on ideologies and encourage individuals to vote based on what serves the country and their individual pocket better rather than voting along ethnic and religous lines

when we do that may be we might begin to get closer to politics of COUNTRY FIRST
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tamme: 4:42pm On May 25, 2009
See who is posting this.

Moreover there is a thread on this already

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-228735.0.html

(1) (Reply)

Abdulmutallab: Us Out With Sanctions On Nigeria / Obasanjo Is A Paper Weight? / In Defense Of The Nigerian Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.