Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,691 members, 7,813,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (4416 Views)

Poll: Which should you put first?

Your tribe: 20% (8 votes)
Your country: 35% (14 votes)
Your race: 10% (4 votes)
Your humanity: 35% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Are you Nigerian first and tribe second or equally both? / What Should Be Done To Make Our Politicans Put The Country First? / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 9:53am On Feb 04, 2009
Ok. I was thinking, what would happen if all nigerians started thinking as Nigeria as being their own personal country, not the nonsense about having your own tribe, your own village etc. For example, in the United States before it became a perfect union, people thought of themselves of being citizens of their respective states not as being citizens of the USA. It was till the constitution was passed that people finally identified with the country as being theirs and theirs alone. What would happen if an Igbo man instead of building a hospital in his own village/state/tribe went to Gombe/Hausaland and built a hospital/school/laid pipe-bourne water. It doesn't even have to be an Igbo man, it could be a Yoruba man/Hausa man doing the same thing in different parts of the country,

This was what the youth corps was designed initially to achieve, but everyone knows the youth corps in Nigeria is now in shambles, 

So what do you guys think about this?? Instead of claiming your tribe or being tribalistic, we should move to a more nationalistic spirit in Nigeria. Am not sayin we should do away with tribes/villages but don't put them before your country. Afterall Americans here always go back to the country side where they came from, they never forget where they come from,  But they hold sacred, the sanctity of their Union, 

I strongly believe that Nigerians should start embracing the same nationalism.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 10:18am On Feb 04, 2009
have mercy on a new guy, lol, am really interested in this topic
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 10:29am On Feb 04, 2009
You ara dreaming.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 10:46am On Feb 04, 2009
You ara dreaming.

Lol what's wrong with dreaming? I never said it is guaranteed to work, i said i believe it would work, I didn't say i know it would work.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 2:20pm On Feb 04, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by lucabrasi(m): 2:29pm On Feb 04, 2009
enziga:

You ara dreaming.

Lol what's wrong with dreaming? I never said it is guaranteed to work, i said i believe it would work, I didn't say i know it would work.
you are on point ,i also agree with you that its a process and theres no indication to say it wont work,if you ask me i think that is one of if not the most fundamental problems facing nigeria and nigerians, patriotism
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On Feb 04, 2009
@Poster, I don’t see a problem in anyone having tribal views as long as it means working hard to build one’s own tribe. Problem with the way we practice it in Nigeria is that we claim it, but like most things out there it is all tongue service. We know of how so many of us Nigerians claim to love Nigeria, but when it comes time to put some action behind those words, we are usually some of the first to tell you that the have better things to do. Take a poll on here or when you are able to, in Nigeria, and you will find that so many already claim to LOVE NIGERIA. But what is all that love when our actions continue to speak that the opposite is the case?

My point is that Nationalism is not even a solution at this point. I believe we have deeper issues as individuals to deal with before we can say that embracing nationalism will solve anything.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by chei: 6:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
Its not possible.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by jumobi1(m): 6:30pm On Feb 04, 2009
chei:

Its not possible. You cant put a country that doesnt work first ahead of your tribe. Build your tribe first before you build your country.

that is the prob with Nigeria, Everyone wants to build their tribe first, If u can put Nigeria first and build it you are eventually going to build your tribes.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by osisi2(f): 6:38pm On Feb 04, 2009
I'm  first an Igbo woman before any other. cool
I can do a sex change (tufia), and acquire male apparatus, still Igbo cool
I can adopt American citizenship (which I have) but still Igbo cool
I consciously chose to be Christian, still Igbo cool
If I were to backslide(Jehovah forbid),still Igbo grin
Capital changed from Lagos to Abuja, still Igbo cool
State can change from Imo to Ebonyi or adada, still Igbo cool
I can braid my hair,perm it or lighten my complexion (tufia), I'll still be Igbo cool
Biafra or Nigerian,still Igbo cool
They can zone me to the SS or SW,still Igbo cool
If the country changed name from Nigeria to Rianega,I'll alays be an Igbo woman cool
let them merge us sef with Niger republic,always Igbo cool
That is my identity and I'm proud to be Igbo cool
If  humans lived a thousand lifetimes,I'll always want to come as Igbo. cool
Igbo for life

Igbo Kwenu,kwenu kwezuonu
Onye si na anyi agaghi ebi,okuko chu kwa ya oso
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by morpheus24: 7:16pm On Feb 04, 2009
I don't see a problem in having an affinity for one's ethnic group and nationality at the same time as long as one recognizes the equal rights of other ethnic groups that make up the country

Are we the first nation on this planet to have such a complex make up?

it is definitely doable!
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 7:32pm On Feb 04, 2009
I'm first an Igbo woman before any other.
I can do a sex change (tufia), and acquire male apparatus, still Igbo
I can adopt American citizenship (which I have) but still Igbo
I consciously chose to be Christian, still Igbo
If I were to backslide(Jehovah forbid),still Igbo
Capital changed from Lagos to Abuja, still Igbo
State can change from Imo to Ebonyi or adada, still Igbo
I can braid my hair,perm it or lighten my complexion (tufia), I'll still be Igbo
Biafra or Nigerian,still Igbo
They can zone me to the SS or SW,still Igbo
If the country changed name from Nigeria to Rianega,I'll alays be an Igbo woman
let them merge us sef with Niger republic,always Igbo
That is my identity and I'm proud to be Igbo
If humans lived a thousand lifetimes,I'll always want to come as Igbo.
Igbo for life

Did anyone say you couldn't still remain igbo Didn't u read about what i said about ther people belonging to the 13 states that made up the Union of the United States If Cameroun invaded an Igbo State tomorrow, would igbo's alone rise up to fight them?? NO. The whole country as a whole would resist them. Why can't u be igbo and still be Nigerian??Embrace the whole country and it's peoples as your own and I believe that the country can be chaged through this method.
Think about it, if tomorrow you built something in Gombe State, you think the people there wouldn't recognise you for your achievements?? They would have a more favorable view of igbo's as a whole and be eternally grateful to you
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 7:33pm On Feb 04, 2009
Posted on: Today at 07:16:02 PMPosted by: morpheus24
Insert Quote
I don't see a problem in having an affinity for one's ethnic group and nationality at the same time as long as one recognizes the equal rights of other ethnic groups that make up the country

Are we the first nation on this planet to have such a complex make up?

it is definitely doable

Thank you o bro.
Afterall wasn't the US made up off irish, german, jews, swedes, french, etc who put aside all their differences and became one?? It is definitely doable in naija
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 04, 2009
I'm a Muslim first, then a Nigerian, then a Yoruba, then an Offan, then a Kwaran, then a northerner.

That's the order in which I prioritize my affiliation. . . .
The fact is that, consciously or unconsciously, our actions are at times guided by some sentiments. For example, If Everton(with Nigerian players) play Wigan (with no Nigerian player), it is almost natural for a Nigerian with Nigeria at heart to support, or at least show some sympathy with Everton.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by BOSS7: 8:00pm On Feb 04, 2009
Jarus:

The fact is that, consciously or unconsciously, our actions are at times guided by some sentiments. For example, If Everton(with Nigerian players) play Wigan (with no Nigerian player), it is almost natural for a Nigerian with Nigeria at heart to support, or at least show some sympathy with Everton.
Omo Kwara, this has nothing to do with tribes now.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2009
I am a Christian from the planet earth who happens to be human first, second, third . . . . all the other jazz na just that. . . jazzz roflmao!!
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 04, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

I was talking about sentiments generally, just highlighted different shades of sentiments - religious, national, tribal, and regional/social/educational affiliations.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 8:11pm On Feb 04, 2009
@ I'm a Muslim first, then a Nigerian, then a Yoruba, then an Offan, then a Kwaran, then a 'Great Ife', then a northerner.

Shouldn't your religion be a personal issue??
and btw please can u ppl show me how one replies directly to another's post on NL? The thing dey confuse person.
B.O.S.S.:

You got jokes bro or abi na gurl, Please when people stop you on the street and ask you what country are u from? Oduduwaland?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 8:13pm On Feb 04, 2009
enziga:

Shouldn't your religion be a personal issue??

He is speaking of himself, isn't that "personal" ?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 8:21pm On Feb 04, 2009
Kobojunkie:

He is speaking of himself, isn't that "personal" ?

To say he is muslim/christian first is funny. I mean your religion is a private issue is it not?? But i guess he/she has their reasons,
Still don't see why her/his religion affects them from putting their country first and their tribe second
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2009
We are all different, therefore, we difine, understand and feel good about ourselves from different ways and views.
These different ways and views are determined by our situations, passion and sentiments.

For example;

1. An Ibibio girl who was accused of being a "witch",  beaten black and blue and disowned by her community, religion and tribe will grow to detest anything that has to do with her tribe.

2. An Ilesha woman who was dumbed by her Igbo boyfriend may begin to detest anything nigerian unity. Likewise a yoruba man who his son was serving nigeria as corper only for his kid to be slaughtered like a goat in a the nigerian street of jos where he was serving his country might find it difficult to put nigeria first again.

3. An Igbo family who suffered fatally in the civil war may find it difficult to put nigeria first before his tribe who protected his family while he was away fighting.

4. An Hausa man who nigerian govt paid and gave scholarship to study in the best schools around the world may find it sensless seeing people who see their tribe first.

5. A Yoruba lady who was seriously sick and didnt get any attention from the government only to be cured by a pastor or sango may also find it hard to put any ahead of her religion.

6. An Ijor man who had his mother rapped in his presence by nigerian soldiers will definately find it difficult to put country before her mother/family.

7. A 9 yeas old moslem fulani girl who was married off or raped by a 95 years old man may hardly put anything before before feminism.

8. An Ogoni boy who can no longer find a clean water to fish on due to oil spill and gets shot at anytime he reminds his country, will only grow up to put his tribe first and rebel against his country.

The list goes on. .the emboldened are what people are likely to choose in their various situations except for the ilesha woman. tongue
. . . . . . . . as for me, my family comes first, then my tribe before anything else.

enziga:

To say he is muslim/christian first is funny. I mean your religion is a private issue is it not?? But i guess he/she has their reasons,
Still don't see why her/his religion affects them from putting their country first and their tribe second

It does affect depending on the orientation. Ohterwise, why would some jihadists who shout one nigeria turn around all of a sudden and slaughtered people of other religios cos someone drew a cartoon in far away denmark? Did you see how the "jihadist one nigerian man" put his religion first ahead of country?

I think jarus choice should be respected so far it does not hurt anybody.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Feb 04, 2009
enziga:

If religion is private, are you saying one can not identify oneself by one's religion first? I don't understand why you would see it that way. If your belief is based on your religion, chances are your country will not be first then.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2009
2. An Ilesha woman who was dumbed by her Igbo boyfriend may begin to detest anything nigerian unity.
ROTFLMAO Nuzo, una dey find trouble grin grin grin
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2009
I just got the joke!! roflmao!!
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by earTHMama: 9:23pm On Feb 04, 2009

2. An Ilesha woman who was dumbed by her Igbo boyfriend may begin to detest anything nigerian unity. Likewise a yoruba man who his son was serving nigeria as corper only for his kid to be slaughtered like a goat in a the nigerian street of jos where he was serving his country might find it difficult to put nigeria first again.
Roflamo. Aloy emekraze, na you again? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 04, 2009
It is not funny. It is a fact that is very common, but many people are not bold enough to say it out. The fact is that the first thing that comes to many people's mind in any thing is religious affiliation. Using it to cause injustice or to deny people of different views some right is what is not good. For example, I will support Sharia because I'm a Muslim but I will not deny a more competent Christian job because he's competing with a less qualified Muslim, because that will be injustice to the Christian. You see where sentiments come to play.

ENZIGA,
You are another quality addition to NL. Welcome to NL politics section. I see you carving a niche for yourself on NL politics section.
Welcome on board.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 04, 2009
earTHMama:

Roflamo. Aloy emekraze, na you again? grin grin grin grin grin

Do i write like aloy emeka or do write like i_laugh who impersonate people on nairaland?
Did this aloy emeka dump any ilesha woman you know? tongue
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by SkyBlue1: 9:36pm On Feb 04, 2009
Jarus:

It is not funny. It is a fact that is very common, but many people are not bold enough to say it out. The fact is that the first thing that comes to many people's mind in any thing is religious affiliation. Using it to cause injustice or to deny people of different views some right is what is not good. For example, I will support Sharia because I'm a Muslim but I will not deny a more competent Christian job because he's competing with a less qualified Muslim, because that will be injustice to the Christian. You see where sentiments come to play.

ENZIGA,
You are another quality addition to NL. Welcome to NL politics section. I see you carving a niche for yourself on NL politics section.
Welcome on board.

You are entitled to your view but is the part in bold not a contradiction? On the one hand you speak of justice and respect for others who don't share your view then in the next sentence you speak of support for provision of laws which would govern a whole state or area according to your own religous affiliation? So what happens to others living in thesame area that don't hold such a view, should they be made to obey laws they do not in any way support or relate with? What happened to respect for others?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by vicade(m): 9:39pm On Feb 04, 2009
I am a First a Yoruba boy then a Nigerian. After all, the Ancestors all the way to Oduduwa have always been yorubas. They only became Nigerians from 1914 onwards and you know what they say, First things First.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2009
I am a Nigerian, then a Hausa/Yoruba girl.

Country comes first jare.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by osisi2(f): 9:45pm On Feb 04, 2009
vicade:

I am a First a Yoruba boy then a Nigerian. After all, the Ancestors all the way to Oduduwa have always been yorubas. They only became Nigerians from 1914 onwards and you know what they say, First things First.

Exactly what I meant too.
just like Yorubas,Igbos have always been Igbos before 1914
so why would I claim some name that became my identity just yesterday?
Igbo first,Biafra then Nigeria cool
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by bawomolo(m): 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2009
vicade:

The term Yoruba is a relatively new invention of the Eighteenth century. so what does that tell you? Identities change over time. People should appreciate the diversity in Nigeria rather than trying to create an homogenous entity. Claiming to be blind to ethnicity won't work. As for me, the Individual comes first considering there are intra-ethnic rivalries in the groups Nigerians claim to to be loyal to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition / Death Toll From The Un House Bombing Rises / Linda Ikeji Wrong Identity - Nairalanders Help "Vivian Gist"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.