Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,754 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. (20390 Views)

Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee / Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees / Some Thoughts For People Lost In Their Circumstances And See No Way Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by kaywiluv(f): 10:20am On Nov 27, 2015
Summary please!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Segadem(m): 10:20am On Nov 27, 2015
hmmm
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by ogaofficer(m): 10:20am On Nov 27, 2015
Wow! I love this. Another piece of motivation.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by MathsChic(f): 10:22am On Nov 27, 2015
You guys didn't even read before typing "ehhm", ok, kk, j, p and all other weird entries just to book space.
Well done, op.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Vision4God: 10:22am On Nov 27, 2015
Alll izzzzzzzzz wwweeeelllllll

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Etizz: 10:22am On Nov 27, 2015
To be frank, if I tell u what I have passed through eh, na only u for say say why I never commit suicide since. ... What am trying to tell you is dat, when I was in big deep chaos, (can't go in details) I was having high blood pressure though but the last thing dat came on my mind was to kill myself...... Furthermore, it takes your way of handling issues and self comfort to overcome suicidal. .... In other words, I see no reason why anyone on earth should commit suicide....

Make I beg u well well....

No matter how frustrating u may be,.....

The last thing u should not think of is suicide......

Thank you......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 27, 2015
damn! op. that was absolutely cringe worthy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Bigdreams(m): 10:25am On Nov 27, 2015
Very true OP. Thanks for sharing.

Read; Business Sense For BulkSMS Business.
Check my signature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by prudentsea(m): 10:26am On Nov 27, 2015
Wow. Pressure kills. Being in such shoe ones, it hurt and killing. The best is just to take it lighter than a joke. That is the only way to survive. RIP to the fallen student.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Confessng: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2015
Well said !
It is unfortunate that we live in a society with more religion less spirituality more churches less live ,more mosques less love
Yv
dearpreye:
I'm sharing this message due to a thread I read last night where it was reported a Nigerian higher Institution student committed suicide after being allegedly told to repeat a year by the school authorities. As the manner is with most Nigerians, the victim was lampooned and mocked by most commenters on the thread, even when they didn't travel in the victim's shoes. Only a few could even type the now-redundant RIP. I pray his soul rest in peace.

I've got a somewhat similar experience though I didn't go the extra mile the Nigerian student went. I was withdrawn from my normal shift duty to cover a new project that will require my being on permanent duty for over 3 weeks. I was mandated to draw the HSE plan for the project, conduct safety talks at appropriate intervals and give situation report to my department on a daily basis. On this terrible day, I had gone to the job site even before the contractors had shown up. It was a Tuesday- a black one for that matter.

When I arrived the site and saw no workers around, I elected to seat with some other workers in a stormshleter- a little building operators seek little comfort whenever there are running the plant. While waiting for my colleagues to show up at the job site, some talks started. It was around money, the Rat Race, Women, etc.....but financial management or the lack of it, was the MAIN ISSUE. After listening for some time my consent was sought on the matter. Believe me, I spoke passionately. An I spoke for over 10 minutes, narrating my financial struggle from the day I was employed to the present day, and my beliefs about financial discipline, the role of women in our lives, etc.

I had this Motorola radio in my hand. It's a means of communication within the department. A lot of top guys are also linked to it. Some managers, senior colleagues, junior ones, even casual workers by proxy are tuned into this departmental channel. Now the radio on me was kinda a little defective and I've improvised on it by tapering it with a tiny binding wire. Somehow the wired rested on the SPEAK knob, and all along, while I thought I was having a discreet convo with some persons, ALL my communications were heard by EVERYONE who was on the HSE channel. Some of the details I had revealed were regrettable mistakes I wouldnt want anyone beyond that group to hear. So far as the binding wire depressed the speak knob, and I didn't know, I was on channel air- interrupting every other call in the channel, in an emergency channel. I didn't know. I later realised mobile calls were made by my superiors to my mobile phone but I hadn't seen them as the phone was on SILENT mode, hidden away in my coverall. All attempts to have me stop was of no effect.

All this while the contractors had not arrived for work. I've found another work. LOL! Firemen and other HSE professionals were dispatched to physically stop my programme. SMH. I knew there was some troubles when I saw a team of firemen running towards me in a manner similar to their response to a fire emergency. I looked around and didn't spot any fire in the operational area. One of them was even laughing. They motioned for my radio and removed the binding wire, stopping my programme. SMH. When they told me what happened, I almost dropped dead. My blood pressure rose; my heart tripled it's rate, my feet quaked, my mood dropped and I wished the Earth would open up and had me swallowed.

My God! What have I done to myself? I've shared on radio issues I'll consider too personal. The shame. The embarrassment. Will my colleagues even stop mocking me? Why? I wished I hadn't come to work that day. I had never felt such pressure. The pressure almost choked me. How do I go to face my colleagues? My superiors? God. How do I erase these details from the minds of my colleagues? How do I go back to the control room? No one could describe the pressure I felt.

When the pressure became too much, I had to distract myself and play some Enya music like Caribbean blue,Orinoco Flow, etc, to relax me. The more I tried,the more my mind wondered back to the issue. Immediately, I felt what most suicide victims felt before committing suicide. Once in my lifetime, I had found myself in their shoes and it wasn't palatable in the least.

Ours is a society that has failed to try to understand depression and people. We suddenly become experts at advice whenever people commit acts that we feel were improper. We don't mind abusing and denigrating them even when we've not understood their struggles, depression,anxiety and deep worries. We simply condemn; we simply attack.

If I had done the worst, the extreme, God forbid, the same attacks would have landed on me. SMH. Now, I'm NOT in any way supporting or encouraging suicide; I'm simply saying we should endeavour to show sympathy and empathy to people whenever they can't seem to handle the pressures of life and quit.

Whatever you're passing through at the moment, don't give up. There's still hope and life ahead. There's still light at the end of the tunnel. When pressures seem too tough, seek a true friend and confide in, OR seek some other means of relieving the pressure. It could be some serene sort of music. Don't just give up. Suicide is a temporal solution to a permanent problem. Think about your loved ones and the pains and gloom they'll experience.

Man that's born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. Job 14.1. But with determination and patience,all worries and sadness will give way to peace, serenity and joy. And when you observe a person to be in deep depression, don't judge them.Simply help them. A word could save a soul. Call and encourage that friend passing through unemployment, marital crisis, temporal barrenness, admission delay, etc. Give someone a hug. Send an email. A text message could also suffice.

God bless you all. And have a great day.

Lalasticlala, good morning. Please, let's share; it could save a soul.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by dustydee: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

One of the problems is that a lot of Nigerians do not understand mental health issues. Rather than seek for help, people just keep to themselves either because they do not know that they need help, do not know where to go or for fear of the stigma of being tagged a mental health patient. I pray the government and NGOs will create awareness on mental health issues and provide centres for dealing with such issues.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Confessng: 10:28am On Nov 27, 2015
The issue is people who think of suicide don't want to think it, it just happens on them they just can't seem to think of anything else
Etizz:
Make I beg u well well....

No matter how frustrating u may be,.....

The last thing u should not think of is suicide......

Thank you......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by tunde233(m): 10:37am On Nov 27, 2015
Sometimes, you need to be like David. He encouraged himself in the Lord.
Suicide is not justified. You can share your burden with someone you can trust

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Etizz: 10:39am On Nov 27, 2015
Confessng:
The issue is people who think of suicide don't want to think it, it just happens on them they just can't seem to think of anything else

Pls take one bear for my head...... U Don talk am finish....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by hahn(m): 10:42am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks my boss. I couldn't implicitly tell what it is that has led to this lack of care and sympathy towards others during their trying periods. Somehow we have become so cold and hard towards those who are in difficult situations.

It's a parental problem. Most parents don't show their children love, aren't emphathic, are always judgmental and this reflects on the kids when they grow and have to face life on their own.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by muh4eva(m): 10:43am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:
I'm sharing this message due to a thread I read last night where it was reported a Nigerian higher Institution student committed suicide after being allegedly told to repeat a year by the school authorities. As the manner is with most Nigerians, the victim was lampooned and mocked by most commenters on the thread, even when they didn't travel in the victim's shoes. Only a few could even type the now-redundant RIP. I pray his soul rest in peace.

I've got a somewhat similar experience though I didn't go the extra mile the Nigerian student went. I was withdrawn from my normal shift duty to cover a new project that will require my being on permanent duty for over 3 weeks. I was mandated to draw the HSE plan for the project, conduct safety talks at appropriate intervals and give situation report to my department on a daily basis. On this terrible day, I had gone to the job site even before the contractors had shown up. It was a Tuesday- a black one for that matter.

When I arrived the site and saw no workers around, I elected to seat with some other workers in a stormshleter- a little building operators seek little comfort whenever there are running the plant. While waiting for my colleagues to show up at the job site, some talks started. It was around money, the Rat Race, Women, etc.....but financial management or the lack of it, was the MAIN ISSUE. After listening for some time my consent was sought on the matter. Believe me, I spoke passionately. An I spoke for over 10 minutes, narrating my financial struggle from the day I was employed to the present day, and my beliefs about financial discipline, the role of women in our lives, etc.

I had this Motorola radio in my hand. It's a means of communication within the department. A lot of top guys are also linked to it. Some managers, senior colleagues, junior ones, even casual workers by proxy are tuned into this departmental channel. Now the radio on me was kinda a little defective and I've improvised on it by tapering it with a tiny binding wire. Somehow the wired rested on the SPEAK knob, and all along, while I thought I was having a discreet convo with some persons, ALL my communications were heard by EVERYONE who was on the HSE channel. Some of the details I had revealed were regrettable mistakes I wouldnt want anyone beyond that group to hear. So far as the binding wire depressed the speak knob, and I didn't know, I was on channel air- interrupting every other call in the channel, in an emergency channel. I didn't know. I later realised mobile calls were made by my superiors to my mobile phone but I hadn't seen them as the phone was on SILENT mode, hidden away in my coverall. All attempts to have me stop was of no effect.

All this while the contractors had not arrived for work. I've found another work. LOL! Firemen and other HSE professionals were dispatched to physically stop my programme. SMH. I knew there was some troubles when I saw a team of firemen running towards me in a manner similar to their response to a fire emergency. I looked around and didn't spot any fire in the operational area. One of them was even laughing. They motioned for my radio and removed the binding wire, stopping my programme. SMH. When they told me what happened, I almost dropped dead. My blood pressure rose; my heart tripled it's rate, my feet quaked, my mood dropped and I wished the Earth would open up and had me swallowed.

My God! What have I done to myself? I've shared on radio issues I'll consider too personal. The shame. The embarrassment. Will my colleagues even stop mocking me? Why? I wished I hadn't come to work that day. I had never felt such pressure. The pressure almost choked me. How do I go to face my colleagues? My superiors? God. How do I erase these details from the minds of my colleagues? How do I go back to the control room? No one could describe the pressure I felt.

When the pressure became too much, I had to distract myself and play some Enya music like Caribbean blue,Orinoco Flow, etc, to relax me. The more I tried,the more my mind wondered back to the issue. Immediately, I felt what most suicide victims felt before committing suicide. Once in my lifetime, I had found myself in their shoes and it wasn't palatable in the least.

Ours is a society that has failed to try to understand depression and people. We suddenly become experts at advice whenever people commit acts that we feel were improper. We don't mind abusing and denigrating them even when we've not understood their struggles, depression,anxiety and deep worries. We simply condemn; we simply attack.

If I had done the worst, the extreme, God forbid, the same attacks would have landed on me. SMH. Now, I'm NOT in any way supporting or encouraging suicide; I'm simply saying we should endeavour to show sympathy and empathy to people whenever they can't seem to handle the pressures of life and quit.

Whatever you're passing through at the moment, don't give up. There's still hope and life ahead. There's still light at the end of the tunnel. When pressures seem too tough, seek a true friend and confide in, OR seek some other means of relieving the pressure. It could be some serene sort of music. Don't just give up. Suicide is a temporal solution to a permanent problem. Think about your loved ones and the pains and gloom they'll experience.

Man that's born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. Job 14.1. But with determination and patience,all worries and sadness will give way to peace, serenity and joy. And when you observe a person to be in deep depression, don't judge them.Simply help them. A word could save a soul. Call and encourage that friend passing through unemployment, marital crisis, temporal barrenness, admission delay, etc. Give someone a hug. Send an email. A text message could also suffice.

People had gone througj what could be termed as more than worst but they still held on, stayed calm.... Errbody is gat a story to tell... Big men today z gat some hell of a story. I have had people who told me their story amd I was like I had been through noting but they still held on and they later made it.... Nobody z gat the right to take his/her life no matter how hard the situation. Victor Moses of super eagle is an example......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Eastlink(m): 10:44am On Nov 27, 2015
Nice article bros Preye. You're a true big brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by eugene77: 10:50am On Nov 27, 2015
Booked....
Pls, never judge a depressed/frustrated person. U'll never understand a depressed man until u journey through his experience by urself then u "ll know better. Just help in giving them hope !

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 27, 2015
True talk bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Thelmerh(f): 10:51am On Nov 27, 2015
am going through something similar. am so confused. am heartbroken.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by missKiffy(f): 10:56am On Nov 27, 2015
Some people condemn people who commit suicide when your not even in their shoes, its easy to judge from the outside

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by miqos02(m): 10:58am On Nov 27, 2015
hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Threedots(m): 10:58am On Nov 27, 2015
emmanuel596:
*modified*. As long as am concerned and have read ur story u didn't make any sense to me. U only came here to spew ur. Personal problems and nnot to advocate for the nigga that killed himself.....sometimes I wonder if it is award winning to create threads online....may GOD grant u ur hearts desires. and grant enternal life to the dead....#advice...you are ur real self when no one is watching don't say things u can't say in people's front behind their backs....ur running mouths gave u wat u deserved tank GOD they didn't kill or jail u

sometimes i wonder the kind of thinking process some people go through before they comment. Comments like this make me doubt the sanity of most people. Just incase you dont get,,, simply put; you are one insane and deluded motherfvcker

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by cutechi(f): 10:59am On Nov 27, 2015
U nailed it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by gretblue: 11:00am On Nov 27, 2015
No matter the situation.committing suicide is never an option.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by rallymento(m): 11:02am On Nov 27, 2015
you ministered to a lost soul.... thanks bruv!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by ikombe: 11:08am On Nov 27, 2015
emmanuel596:
*modified*. As long as am concerned and have read ur story u didn't make any sense to me. U only came here to spew ur. Personal problems and nnot to advocate for the nigga that killed himself.....sometimes I wonder if it is award winning to create threads online....may GOD grant u ur hearts desires. and grant enternal life to the dead....#advice...you are ur real self when no one is watching don't say things u can't say in people's front behind their backs....ur running mouths gave u wat u deserved tank GOD they didn't kill or jail u
that post u make wen u think with your asshole grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 27, 2015
My was as if this world no longer need me.

But life goes on! And there is hope in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Totfulguy: 11:15am On Nov 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Well thought out and articulated! Suicide is a selfish and painful way to complicate a problem. I say this in connection with those who can actually contemplate it before taking the action. There are those who, for psychotic reasons, cannot think through the odds of the decision to commit suicide.

Like you have said, anyone with suicidal thoughts should not forget that it is not over yet. It may seem long but every bad experience will have an end if we persist and do the right things. An attempt at suicide (or the committing of it) may well reflect a narrow minded and inflexible mindset that refuses to see things in different perspectives. In the case of the student, he/she may not have been flexible enough to accept the reality of the situation and understand that it was not the end of the world. He was probably more overwhelmed with care about what people will say or think, than focusing on the benefits of taking things by his strides and moving on.

We all need to understand that there are thing that we cannot change (no matter what people tell you) and we have to live with. There are things that time will change. There are limits to what we can do as well as heights that we can surpass. When we understand who we are accept our limits and embrace our heights, we will be better suited and equipped to handle situations that come our way and avoid the emptiness AND waste that comes with taking our OWN LIVES.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 27, 2015
kaywiluv:
Summary please!!!

We should learn to travel in a people's shoes before we criticise or condemn them. We need to learn to show empathy.
Re: My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 27, 2015
sonofananimal:
My was as if this world no longer need me.

But life goes on! And there is hope in it.

Life indeed goes on. That's the spirit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are All Africans Studying Nursing In America? / 5 Reasons Why ACCA Is Better Than ICAN / Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.