Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,246 members, 7,818,839 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. (7305 Views)

How To Make $500 A Month With A Niche Site / Choosing The Right Domain Name For Your Blog / 3 Questions You Must Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Niche (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by iwriterng(m): 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2015
I have read various blog post on starting a blog; while some of them are pretty decent; a larger percentage of those blog post are actually trying to promote their affiliate link to a particular hosting company. While they neglect the aspect of telling new bloggers how to choose the right niche and avoid fierce competition in the blogging world.

Blogging goes way beyond setting up a blog; buying a domain and hosting account and publishing whatever comes to your head on daily basis. If you intend to make money from blogging; then you would have to dedicate some amount of time in deciding what to blog about; it's ultimately called a niche.

I have a comprehensive guide on my blog on this topic; but I would summarize the details here; although you may not be able to see pictures on nairaland; because I want to make this version as simple as possible.

In starting a blog; your first step should be what you would blog about... It maybe just about anything; your hobby, what you know a lot about; what you love reading about; etc. Just make a list of something and choose the one you're confident you won't get bored writing about in the next few month/years as the case maybe.

Now; you want to narrow down your chosen topic; such that you won't be competing against authority websites that has been around for years.

Let's use the health niche as an example. You can't just set up a blog and start posting about health; your blog would get lost; and would NEVER see the light of the day as far as Google is concerned. In this case you want to narrow it down a little bit; to something like this:

HEALTH----> WOMEN HEALTH--->PREGNANCY----> FIRST TRIMESTER

If you have a blog that focus mainly on first trimester issues; you stand a chance of getting traction from Google and making serious money because your blog is tailored towards a particular audience; compared to just blogging about "Health"

So you've got to brainstorm over your topic; and narrow it down the the best of your ability.

When Choosing your topic; you want to make sure it satisfies the following criteria:

1. It's actually getting searched for on Google (And other search engines)

2. It's not very competitive

3. It's profitable.

On the post on my blog; i explained in details how to go about checking each of the criteria.

You can do all of these; using free Google Tools such as Google trend; Google keyword planner and Google Search.

These three tools listed above can be used in checking if people are actually searching for the topic online; Google trend would show you how to popular the topic is; in a particular region over a particular period of time.

Google search tool will show you the number of pages that are already available on the said topic, while Google keyword planner would give more detailed information about the volume of search and how much advertisers are spending on that particular keyword.

I have a detailed guide with pictures on how to use those tools on the blog post.

To check for the competition of your keyword, it's advisable to use free tools such as MozBar by MoZ. It's a free add-on for browser that automatically shows you the page authority, domain authority and backlinks profile of a particular page.

As a rule of thumb, when I run the add-on, and am conducting analysis for a particular niche; I strictly stay away from a niche whose first ten (10) results on Google has PA (page authority) and DA (Domain Autority) above 40. Because it would be difficult to outrank those sites without bleeding your fingers.

This is just the summary of my recent blog post (It's about 2,000 words) and it's of high value to those that intend to start a blog and make money from blogging. It will show you the basis of keyword research and niche selection; both of which are important for successful blogging career.

http://www.oksprout.com/2015/11/how-to-start-a-blog-choosing-your-niche-topic/

PS: You can ask me any question here or on the blog and I would answer you as soon as possible.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by koligs: 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
Everyone following the footstep of Linda ikeji.
Click like for seun osewa and share for Linda ikeji

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by senchris(m): 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
I think the profitability of blogging became known to Nigerians following Linda's success.. Now, everyone wants to be her. Unfortunately, alot of bloggers blog irresponsibly.

3 Likes

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by pleiades45: 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
cool

am feening for that spot ^
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by seanpizzy(m): 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
How can I create a blog like [url]todaybase.com[/url]

I love the blog and its content?
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
Noted....

I am preparing a military blog BTW.... It will soon hit the ground... I wish Seun and Lalasticlala can create that section here make we run am for them...

TeamMilitary
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Importguru(m): 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nice post tho

www.latest.com.ng
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Rick9(m): 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
I want to start a blog
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
End time bloggers

Ask Linda ikeji seun (Mrs)
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
smh una wan buy banana island.... Nigerians ehn follow follow cheesy... I remember those days wealth solution came around every look and corner there was money dubblers every wher...till they ran away with your money, then theres one lotto ijebu something cant remember ...everywhere there was lotto

then the nu craze.....betting every where there is betting angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Abatsam111(m): 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
Teasher here i come oh.
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by phucmiheard: 3:42pm On Nov 30, 2015
LOBISH
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
a moment of silence to all those wannabes who opened blogs two year ago and flooded nairaland with click link for remaining story, because linda buy infinity jeep den, now una don quit. mumu peeps grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Sasuwa(f): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
Iwriterng @op, i have a blog , my niche is physics tutorials, how do you see the search traffics and competition in this my niche, u can review my blog @ http://sasuwaphysics.com
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by phucmiheard: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
ALL THESE TIPS, WHY ARE YOU NOT A SUPER BLOGGER YET

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by fejikudz(m): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
space booked
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by seanpizzy(m): 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2015
Go to the industry and tap, plz is this site cool... I need your opinion

www.todaybase.com
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Kazrem(m): 3:51pm On Nov 30, 2015
As usual with techy thread, generates few comments. One page since when posted unlike entertainment and the likes.
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nice post Bro...

Verified Nigerian Google adsense account for sale. Pm me if interested
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by adeoba2008(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nice topic. ONly one thing I do Ebusiness and Ebusiness alone.
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Eldorado01(m): 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
everybody wanna do blogging.....while u can male money from other means....

see my signature ladies.... and thank me later
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Teewhy2: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nice thread

Hi Nairalanders , your votes are needed to overturn the more than 1500 votes that they are using to lead my baby Enyijuoluwa Aviela Adekoya in the #CussonsBabyMoments competition . I believe with your votes the gap is nothing kindly click on this link https://cussonsbabymoments.com/details/578. and vote. Thanks
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Emmy1000: 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
seanpizzy:
How can I create a blog like [url]todaybase.com[/url]

I love the blog and its content?
I can do that for you at a cheap price.
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
mmmmmm
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by chynie: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
a
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by iwriterng(m): 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2015
Here is an introductory video I created for this blog post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohXRBN4nd8
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by Sanuzi(m): 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ok
Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by ipreach: 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
i hear

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by zinaunreal(m): 4:11pm On Nov 30, 2015
Gone are the days wey blog dey pay wella

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Blog: Choosing The Right Topic/niche. by ichommy(m): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2015
Nice write-up

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 7 Adsense Paying Blogging Niches In Nigeria For Newbie Bloggers / I Need A Free Domain Name And Web Host / 6 Reasons Why Wordpress Is Better Than Blogger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.