Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! (5783 Views)

Poll: Are they really cheap?

Yes: 65% (21 votes)
No: 34% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Dj Cd Mixer For Sale / 9ice To Sell New Cd For N2,000 / Omotola Jalade's Music CD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by simonseez: 9:53pm On May 30, 2009
hmmmm,

really divided opinions, its all good anyways, its easy to say Asa's album was worth more than we all paid for it (fact), but we found that out only after we bought it and listened to the whole album, are we saying if Asa releases a new album sometime this year which i hope she does, her reputation would be big enuf for you to buy the album for a thousand naira without listening to a track on it, ??

i bought tuface idibias new album and i had heard only the songs on the promo cd, truth is i bought it cos of his reputation and Lord knows i would have paid more, but truth be told, i didnt like the album and its now underneath my album rack,

What i can deduce from all the post here is that
1. Artistes need to do more work on the content of their albums, party tracks may last for a couple of months(Do Me), but classics last a lifetime(Bibanke)

2. Artistes need to do more than just put a CD in a pack, insert lyrics, cool pictures/wall papers, tickets to hang out with stars, celebrity t-shirts, album/free autograph signing sessions in fans hoods, (M.I, had one at the galleria sometime in march)

3. Associations that represent artistes rights(PMAN, NCC,etc) need to draw up a bill and present to the national assembly on protection of artistes rights and intellectual property (boring talk, but true talk)

4. National Assembly need to enact laws that stop piracy.

5. Worst case scenario, close down Alaba and let some trusthworthy distribution agencies handle these things,

Hope i've not said too much, holla
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by mbulela: 9:57pm On May 30, 2009
its easy for D'banj, Tuface, P-Square, M.I, Mode 9 et al to make money from album sales, how bout artistes like Excetera, Terry G, Bracket, Terry Da Rapman, OD, Pheroshuz etc
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by mbulela: 10:03pm On May 30, 2009
on a more serious note.
the artistes are busy swaggering all over the place but the truth is that this industry is seriously flawed in structure.
we have seen waves of excitement in the music industry in the past (when there was even real talents not the talentless charismatic folks we have parading the whole place now) and because of a good structure, mighty was its fall.
this time around, if something is not done, it will be very catastrophic.
what are the flaws i am taking about;
piracy
lack of proper distribution channels
dearth of musicians (all it takes to play a show is just a CD and a DJ)
no proper recording companies

the list is endless.
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by mbulela: 10:07pm On May 30, 2009
simon seez:

hmmmm,

really divided opinions, its all good anyways, its easy to say Asa's album was worth more than we all paid for it (fact), but we found that out only after we bought it and listened to the whole album, are we saying if Asa releases a new album sometime this year which i hope she does, her reputation would be big enuf for you to buy the album for a thousand naira without listening to a track on it, ??

i bought tuface idibias new album and i had heard only the songs on the promo cd, truth is i bought it cos of his reputation and Lord knows i would have paid more, but truth be told, i didnt like the album and its now underneath my album rack,

1. Artistes need to do more work on the content of their albums, party tracks may last for a couple of months(Do Me), but classics last a lifetime(Bibanke)

2. Artistes need to do more than just put a CD in a pack, insert lyrics, cool pictures/wall papers, tickets to hang out with stars, celebrity t-shirts, album/free autograph signing sessions in fans hoods, (M.I, had one at the galleria sometime in march)

3. Associations that represent artistes rights(PMAN, NCC,etc) need to draw up a bill and present to the national assembly on protection of artistes rights and intellectual property (boring talk, but true talk)

5. Worst case scenario, close down Alaba and let some trusthworthy distribution agencies handle these things,

is that not a personal opinion?
some people will be viewing 'Do me' as a a classic in years to come.
it is all a matter of choice.
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by las240s(m): 2:05am On Jun 01, 2009
i think the government has lot of role to play in this
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by opensesame: 9:03am On Jun 01, 2009
lalaboi:

Word i heard from an artiste ***name whitheld** lol
Nigerian artiste sell their album right off to someone in Alaba. . . .the person gives them the amount he thinks the album worths. . .and thats it. . . .they have no business with it anymore. . . .All the money from album sales go to the person in alaba. . .not the artistes pocket!

Yep! It's sad but true!!

simon seez:

hmmmm,

WORD!!!
No, you didn't say too much. You made a whole lot of sense. Just a coupla notes. . .
*I'm not so sure about d closin alaba thing sha
*When Asa's sophomore drops, I can buy it for over a thousand bucks without listenin to a track!! cool
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by Nezan(m): 6:51pm On Jun 02, 2009
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by bumskyla: 10:50pm On Jun 02, 2009
in my own opinion, the CDs are not underpriced,
pricing of any product is usually a function of input ie cost of production, which can be material or intellectual
please someone shuld pls tell me how much intellect has gone into this production
also talk about cost of sale - in this case producer fees, video director fee, photographer and graphic designer fee etc
the so called artist clamouring for higher pricing of these Cds shuld tell me how much they paid the different professionals responsible for bringing their work to light
need i say more,
the foreign acts charging $30 for their CD have put in alot into production so deserve wot they earn

on another note
who says u have to sell CDs to make money, in some cases artist are known to give out free Cds to promote themselves, so they can get shows and endorsements

i don tire to dey type sef
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by SENservice(m): 12:00am On Jun 04, 2009
yels, yels, yels.

Hummn i aill al nigerian artist. greatest gbosa for you all, i love the energy, and it wont die cos i am nija 4 life, i understand a bit bout what it takes

the promoters too are all doing what they also think they could do best.

thanks to Nigerians also, although the Cds may not last between the first play and some months( that is if you are keeping them in the basement) we still appreciate the music.

but what i have found out starts from a question, that has been bugging me alot.

and it is,

why all that Idea(priceless information) in a disposible platform(cd)?
why are we sticking to what we dont like? cds breaks all my time management skills.

alot more worries, i cant tell em finish.

we did so bad in Cds, but even advanced states are not even doing cds majorly now.

I love digital music , I wish nigerians can leverage.
Re: Nigerian Cd's Are Too Cheap! by SENservice(m): 12:33am On Jun 09, 2009
who supports this opinion, that

pricess of African albums should be sold like that of other paid websites like itunes?

i think over there in itunes and other paid sites, prices vary, but they all starts from 9.99.

i think if that should happen then we will fully know the value of the books that lovely artist in Africa are dishing out in form of Songs.

Check out these reports.

Compact Disc Torch
http://fairhaveninc..com/2008/11/compact-disc-torch.html

CD's Rise and Fall 1982-2007
http://fairhaveninc..com/2008/08/r.html

CD Sales Fall, Digital Downloads Keeps Climbing.
http://fairhaveninc..com/2009/05/cd-sales-fall-digital-downloads-keeps.html

even if some feel that nigerian music aint as tap as those over there in Yankee, many others felt that way too, but what we have found out is that some time ago, before you count 20 tracks, youll find maybe 5 nigerian track being played, but now close to 15.

this show that we are getting better and better at least, better than the least of them over there in other developed countries, that sell for 9.99 at least.

We need to start building our media player library.

how do you feel?

(1) (2) (Reply)

[download Mixtape] Sensation Mix By DJ Ozone / Free Music Insturment Training And Resources Available Take advantage / A Nairalander "Kuttie" Finally Drop His Debut Single Dikeh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.