Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency (6388 Views)

Sanusi Lamido Ado-Bayero Appointed As NPA Managing Director By Jonathan / Peter Obi Appointed As Chairman Of SEC By President Jonathan / Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Project Have He/she Executed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by otokx(m): 7:41pm On May 28, 2009
younger brother my ass, this is ara. one of them has to give way.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by SkyBlue1: 7:51pm On May 28, 2009
Just out of interest, where in the constitution does it prohibit members of thesame family working in thesame government agency? You see political families in the US, husband and wife MPs in UK, so what is the big deal? As long as the person is qualified and capable of doing the job right and the selection process was lawful, should the whole family affair be the main issue?
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On May 28, 2009
Sky Blue:

Just out of interest, where in the constitution does it prohibit members of thesame family working in thesame government agency? You see political families in the US, husband and wife MPs in UK, so what is the big deal? As long as the person is qualified and capable of doing the job right and the selection process was lawful, should the whole family affair be the main issue?

they were appointed and not elected.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by nkan(m): 8:27pm On May 28, 2009
Dear people in nigeria, what is the difference b/w this one and the one which the husband and the wife are the ministers in the federal cabinet of this our dear country?
Is Madueke and the wife not the ministers in this country?
Abeg make i follow hear.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by SkyBlue1: 8:34pm On May 28, 2009
bawomolo:

they were appointed and not elected.

?? I am yet to see a portion of the constitution that makes such appointment illegal. The only thing that could be questionable is the selection process which we are not well informed about, so again, where is the illegality?
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by bawomolo(m): 8:48pm On May 28, 2009
Sky Blue:

?? I am yet to see a portion of the constitution that makes such appointment illegal. The only thing that could be questionable is the selection process which we are not well informed about, so again, where is the illegality?

It isn't illegal but puzzling. Appointing a father and son team to head a federal agency doesn't seem ethical.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by SkyBlue1: 9:05pm On May 28, 2009
bawomolo:

It isn't illegal but puzzling. Appointing a father and son team to head a federal agency doesn't seem ethical.

As long as they are both qualified and more than capable of doing the job, and they aren't breaking the law.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by MaiSuya(m): 9:12pm On May 28, 2009
Sky Blue:

I don't think there's anything illegal about it; however, given our nauseating penchant of bringing sentiments, tribal or otherwise, into anything and everything being done in this country, the president should try to be a little more sensitive when making such appointments.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by bawomolo(m): 9:24pm On May 28, 2009
Sky Blue:

As long as they are both qualified and more than capable of doing the job, and they aren't breaking the law.

Actually the concept of having both positions is to have checks and balances. The chance of checks and balances is little if a federal agency turns into a family business.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by SkyBlue1: 9:28pm On May 28, 2009
Mai Suya:

I don't think there's anything illegal about it; however, given our nauseating penchant of bringing sentiments, tribal or otherwise, into anything and everything being done in this country, the president should try to be a little more sensitive when making such appointments.

According to the article the appointment was made by the minister not president. This just yet again seems to be shouting at a relatively non-issue while losing focus of driving for reforms. If people are so moved that they are willing to do something about it then fine and more power to them, if not it just seems to yet again result to nothing but noise making on an issue we aren't clear about to begin with. Such seems to continuously serve as a smoke screen to what is really needed in terms of development, by calling the legislature to order with regards to passing of useful bills. All this dealing in nothing but speculation without any drive to obtain information to solidify any position or any plans to actually act to change what is being complained about just gets a tad irritating and self indulgent at times.

bawomolo:

Actually the concept of having both positions is to have checks and balances.  The chance of checks and balances is little if a federal agency turns into a family business. 

How does chairman and managing director automatically turn an agency into a 'family business'? The executive, judiciary and legislature acting as checks and balance on each other due to each having the relvant authority to do so? Sure. MD and chairman? How does that form a check and balance system? Isn't one subservient to the other?
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by bawomolo(m): 9:54pm On May 28, 2009
How does that form a check and balance system? Isn't one subservient to the other?

One supervises the other? there is a reason when you are filling out an application, most companies usually ask whether you have a relative working in the company. 

It's hard for family members to supervise another family member.  We can all scream what if they are adequate for the job but is it ideal to have two brothers running the FHA?
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by idupaul: 10:45pm On May 28, 2009
The said Tever is not Barnabas Gemade son, they are brothers, the Terver is Barnabas brother
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by dakkylove(f): 11:11pm On May 28, 2009
this country really our leaders have no respect for us they must think we're no different than cows blindly following whoever leads us with a small stick.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by dakkylove(f): 11:13pm On May 28, 2009
this country really our leaders have no respect for us they must think we're no different than cows blindly following whoever leads us with a small stick.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by mccloud224(m): 12:53am On May 29, 2009
cry cry cry cry cool
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by oge4real(f): 1:23am On May 29, 2009
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by oge4real(f): 1:33am On May 29, 2009
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by Outstrip(f): 2:17am On May 29, 2009
sleekymag:

@JJYOU
Though i know it's wrong to have a situation as this (father & son) in the same FG parastatal as Chairman & MD especially when its not in tandem with theFederal Character Commision policies.

But comparing OBJ and his daughter thing as a PDP affair, i beg to differ, isn't only a nigerian affair. I'd say its a thing common to the rich and powerful (some, not all) in every society. Asides from the fact that the nature of their public offices is/was by general election. Abi how would you describe the Bush family, who produced Father & Son as US Presidents, and another son as Florida governor when George W. Bush himself was Texas governor b4 becoming president. Abi how would you also describe Bill Clinton who was president and his wife was 1st Lady, and then became a Senator when her husband left office, and even contested to become US President, and still managed to get appointed as US Seceretary of State. Examples like this abound all over the world in public office and business.

Not the same. All the people you mentioned were voted in. In this case these two people were appointed
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by Nobody: 2:40am On May 29, 2009
@Topic.
Pathetic.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by Nobody: 2:48am On May 29, 2009
@Topic.
Pathetic.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by DoubleN(m): 3:49am On May 29, 2009
Only in Nigeria,Nepotism on the Highest Order!
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by JJYOU: 9:48am On May 29, 2009
sleekymag:

@JJYOU
Though i know it's wrong to have a situation as this (father & son) in the same FG parastatal as Chairman & MD especially when its not in tandem with theFederal Character Commision policies.

But comparing OBJ and his daughter thing as a PDP affair, i beg to differ, isn't only a nigerian affair. I'd say its a thing common to the rich and powerful (some, not all) in every society. Asides from the fact that the nature of their public offices is/was by general election. Abi how would you describe the Bush family, who produced Father & Son as US Presidents, and another son as Florida governor when George W. Bush himself was Texas governor b4 becoming president. Abi how would you also describe Bill Clinton who was president and his wife was 1st Lady, and then became a Senator when her husband left office, and even contested to become US President, and still managed to get appointed as US Seceretary of State. Examples like this abound all over the world in public office and business.

would you mind having electricity 24/7 since you want to go the US way. must you copy anything wrong. what made iyabo more qualified than any one else from which ever village she got into the senate?
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by Bishopking: 2:31pm On May 29, 2009
I want the following posts for my household:

President of the federal republic: Myself smiley
Vice president: my younger brother
First lady: my woman
Chief security officer: my dog
Special adviser on economic matter:my other self
Petroleum Resources officer: my third self grin
so help me God cool
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by Bishopking: 2:33pm On May 29, 2009
I want the following posts for my household:

President of the federal republic: Myself smiley
Vice president: my younger brother
First lady: my woman
Chief security officer: my dog
Special adviser on economic matter:my other self
Petroleum Resources officer: my third self grin
so help me God cool
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by nikky5(m): 9:18pm On May 29, 2009
whether terver is his brother or son I don't give a damn.Is he the only person qualified for the job?But we all know the nigerian mentality that "man know man" is the rule of the game in this our naija.if na u nko?This is just the opening montage. It is a general disease in virtually every nigerian DNA.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by hackney(m): 10:26pm On May 29, 2009
Was there a thread days ago that asked if one would vote for an ex-politician's relative?
Save your Vote, now you dont need to

I no fit laugh
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by wirinet(m): 11:24pm On May 29, 2009
I am flabbergasted that some Nigerians, educated one at that, can see nothing wrong with appointing two members of the same family to head a Govt parastatal. They go on to compare it to elective office where actual voters elect members of the same family to elective offices at two different elections. I wonder if such people have heard of business ethics before, where husband and wife are not allowed to work for the same company, even they are in different branches. Here we have a man supervising a son or a brother and some people feel it is ethically alright.

Having said that, even if they are the most qualified people out of the over 150 million other Nigerians, how do you reconcile it with our Federal Character Law enshrined in our constitution, which is in effect in almost every aspect of out national life, be it university admission, civil, service appointments, army recruitment, ministerial and ambassadorial appointments and so on.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by wirinet(m): 11:26pm On May 29, 2009
I am flabbergasted that some Nigerians, educated one at that, can see nothing wrong with appointing two members of the same family to head a  Govt parastatal. They go on to compare it to elective office where actual voters elect members of the same family to elective offices at two different elections. I wonder if such people have heard of business ethics before, where husband and wife are not allowed to work for the same company, even they are in different branches. Here we have a man supervising a son or a brother and some people feel it is ethically alright.

Having said that, even if they are the most qualified people out of the over 150 million other Nigerians, how do you reconcile it with our Federal Character Law enshrined in our constitution, which is in effect in almost every aspect of out national life, be it university admission, civil, service appointments, army recruitment, ministerial and ambassadorial appointments and so on.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by wirinet(m): 11:29pm On May 29, 2009
I am flabbergasted that some Nigerians, educated one at that, can see nothing wrong with appointing two members of the same family to head a  Govt parastatal. They go on to compare it to elective office where actual voters elect members of the same family to elective offices at two different elections. I wonder if such people have heard of business ethics before, where husband and wife are not allowed to work for the same company, even they are in different branches. Here we have a man supervising a son or a brother and some people feel it is ethically alright.

Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by sosisi(f): 11:34pm On May 29, 2009
what is wrong with it?
who is better qualified to help baba carry the Ghana must go bags laden with cash if not his own son from his very loins.
The bags will even be going in the same direction so less fuel,money saved for the country.
What a great idea!
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by wirinet(m): 11:35pm On May 29, 2009
It is amazing that when you click the reply button, the page will hang until is times out, and when you go back and re-click, the same thing happens, only to see your post had been submitted three times. I hope the admin corrects that problem.
Re: Father And Son Appointed As Chairman And Managing Director Of Fed. Govt. Agency by sosisi(f): 11:36pm On May 29, 2009
what is wrong with it?
who is better qualified to help baba carry the Ghana must go bags laden with cash if not his own son from his  very loins.
The bags will even be going in the same direction so less fuel,money saved for the country.
What a great idea!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gombe Governor Governs Without Commissioners And A Deputy / No Honest Nigerian Like Buhari – Bakare / Governor Akpabio Sacks Commissioner , Retires Perm. Sec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.