Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun (14475 Views)

Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / 5 Habits That Will Make You Poor For Life / TROUBLE! No Employment In Public Service Buharis Minister Adeosun Declares ... G (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by funkybully(f): 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2015
This fat for nothing woman should shut her buccal cavity. Why haven't you released our salary? With this hardship and fuel scarcity this yeye govt come dey owe salary join. Which kind wicked govt be this. Okonjo always pay on 25th of every month, but this negative change govt came with anti masses policies.

God punish buhari and Adeosun for making the masses pass through hell. Heat too much, no fuel, no light, no salary. Spits!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by denedene(m): 3:51pm On Dec 01, 2015
Madam you de talk on your own, concentrate on the economy and stop talking undecided

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by Mbediogu(m): 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
ChuzzysBlog:
[img]http://1.bp..com/-NtP4vQXjG84/Vl2IZf_3eKI/AAAAAAAHgo8/o41WMiz2Pqw/s400/index.jpg[/img]

Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun has told Nigerian Civil Servants not to justify stealing of public funds because of poor salaries. Adeosun stated this while inaugurating the Efficiency Unit of the Ministry Of Finance in Abuja yesterday November 30th.

"We are going to look up all the causes that make government spending extremely inefficient and we are going to circulate those results to the agencies so that they will get a circular saying this is on paper and if you go above it, the Permanent Secretary or whoever is approving it needs to have a reason for doing so.

We are setting a benchmark; at the moment, there are no guidelines; and where there are no guidelines, there is no sin. So, we need to establish those guidelines to guide how people spend money. We cannot justify stealing and say because my salary is low so it justifies stealing. Not everybody steals and not everybody is willing to steal, and stealing is not a way to address low remuneration.

Stealing is stealing and it is a crime; you cannot steal and say because my salary is low that was why I stole; what about people who have no salaries? Stealing is stealing and we must address it. It is not acceptable. We need to address it and we will do so very aggressively. There is no excuse for stealing.”she said

Adeosun said the introduction of the Efficiency Unit in the ministry was to checkmate the manner in which government money is being spent in this very challenging economic times.

“Our own initial reviews have found wide variations in the prices of basic items between departments and within agencies. Printer cartridges of the same specification ranged in price from N16,000 to N62,000".she said

She said that the obvious differences in these items will no longer be tolerated in these economic hard times.

http://www.chuzzysblog.com/2015/12/poor-salary-not-justification-to-steal.html
m

The minister does not tevkon with doctrine of neccesity. If poor salary is not excuse for
stealing, perhaps fat salary may be . . exactly
what we are witnessing in Naija.
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by hyperflex(m): 3:56pm On Dec 01, 2015
Buhari and co think their austerity measures would curb corruption without welfare system in place...they thought wrong. People have become hungrier than previous years. Well if this is gonna pain before we start enjoying in naija OK then. But Corruption will soar high for shizzy

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by ihatesycophant(m): 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2015
A printer cartridge of N16,000 to N62,000. See the gap. People have drained the treasury with impunity in the regime of stealing is not corruption and under the 16 years of wilderness sojourn of a particular party.
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by Marvellouzkk(f): 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2015
if you steal in my husband's administration I will digreace you like this I promise

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by CallMeMadMan: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
VALIDATED TRASH
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by hedonistic: 4:13pm On Dec 01, 2015
Tayeni:
i dont live in abuja...i dont know the rent rates there....but i am very sure there are options for different income levels. live within or below your means is what i would tell them

Good that you admitted that you don't know about rent rates in Abuja.

Of course they live within their "means"; most people do, you can't spend money that you don't have. The question to ask is, what 'means'? The miserable N50k a month only, or other avenues for self-enrichment within the government bureaucracy? Without the latter, life would be impossibly miserable for every government worker.

Nigeria is designed for corruption. The system envisages, encourages, and even necessitates it.

2 Likes

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by mapet: 4:26pm On Dec 01, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

How exactly did I justify stealing? What exactly is misapplied? I simply stated a basic rule which applies to some people and shouldn't be overlooked. That's why I said, the average human psychology...
It isn't even misapplied because if you ever address/interrogate thieves, you would hear reasons. Reasons that you can relate to, but then... integrity first.

There would be thieves even if salaries are increased by 500%, but then, you would know you gave it your best shot_ unfortunately the person is just a thief!!!
I don't know the benchmark, I am not the Finance minister ;she is_ but I know that following the rising inflation in the country N18000 (less than 100$) is too poor for minimum wage, it's even worse that some folks are considering reducing it. She should be concerned about stabilising the financial sector, so that people can get good value for the little money they earn.

Whether you like it or yes, lots of people work first for selfish reasons(personal interest) before company/national goals. If the pay isn't right, they are just pushing it.

Ok then. Let me learn from you some few lessons

1. What evidence justify that the average human is prone to stealing?
2. The clamour of minimum wage increase, though justified, should be directed to the ministry of Labour.......
3. The minister I believe was addressing staff under the finance ministry, which she oversees. The center of her explication is the introduction of innovation that will help improve the performance of the ministry. This I believe is the thrust of her statement......
4. Some of your statement has no research/academic basis, and I challenge you to justify the statement that people work for selfish reasons......
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by mapet: 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2015
2rutalk1:

Sorry, I have no time for you. bye

fair enough
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by Tayeni(m): 4:29pm On Dec 01, 2015
hedonistic:

Good that you admitted that you don't know about rent rates in Abuja.

Of course they live within their "means"; most people do, you can't spend money that you don't have. The question to ask is, what 'means'? The miserable N50k a month only, or other avenues for self-enrichment within the government bureaucracy? Without the latter, life would be impossibly miserable for every government worker.

Nigeria is designed for corruption. The system envisages, encourages, and even necessitates it.
yeah yeah.....kind of agree with your last statement. corruption gives birth to an inefficient, skewed....unfair system......which makes like "impossibly miserable" for the honest ones.....when he cant bear the misery any longer.....he becomes corrupt too. its a vicious cycle.we are both right but i think it starts from corruption while u think it starts from low salaries.
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by mapet: 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
anonimi:
Is she receiving a poor salary herself
What HYPOCRISY?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2943662_payment_jpegc1c3e670f39cd4ba8a1a1978a794d236

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2943663_salar_jpeg17507ee9e7182339f9c9b827ff56ee7b

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2943664_wage_jpeg1488711c5349aed5f79f2e121e58b278

It's either you're cheeky, blind or daft. How on earth do annual wages translate into monthly wage in your table.................You cannot disappoint as you're not any smarter. When you're not twisting facts, you're confusing your very self
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by hedonistic: 4:44pm On Dec 01, 2015
Tayeni:
yeah yeah.....kind of agree with your last statement. corruption gives birth to an inefficient, skewed....unfair system......which makes like "impossibly miserable" for the honest ones.....when he cant bear the misery any longer.....he becomes corrupt too. its a vicious cycle.we are both right but i think it starts from corruption while u think it starts from low salaries.

Yeah bro, that's it. I just think when the pay isn't decent enough, even those who are ordinarily inclined to do the right thing have to do the needful to survive.

How can I not 'thief' money by manipulating files in the office when my wife and children (not to mention relatives) are breathing down my neck, and when I can't even afford a bottle of cold beer every evening after a hard day's job? I'm not even talking about a luxurious lifestyle man, just the basics of a decent, meaningful life.

Not until one randy thief in the same government establishment gives one's hungry wife N50k for taxi fare (equivalent of your monthly salary, and this shit happens) and then proceeds to sleep with her due to his big man 'paparazzi', before you will know how depressing life is.

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 01, 2015
mapet:

2. The clamour of minimum wage increase, though justified, should be directed to the ministry of Labour.......
3. The minister I believe was addressing staff under the finance ministry, which she oversees. The center of her explication is the introduction of innovation that will help improve the performance of the ministry. This I believe is the thrust of her statement......
4. Some of your statement has no research/academic basis, and I challenge you to justify the statement that people work for selfish reasons......

lols @ emboldened. Funniest stuff I have read in a while. As little kids in primary school, the easiest way our teacher could explain occupation to us was_ "Occupation is anything you do to survive and put food on your table" (i.e) personal interest, selfish reasons (albeit positive).
That's why you would see doctors go on strike when their working/pay demands are not met. Someone would ask "what of the oath they took to save lives?".

So, if you need an academician,professor or statistician to to tell you this fact, we shouldn't be having this argument. smiley
You can as well start a thread NAIRALANDERS, WHY DO YOU WORK? I would love to see their replies.
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by ipreach: 5:07pm On Dec 01, 2015
Her mouth done dey run now by 2018 she Will see the pressure to steal for 2019 elections
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by InvertedHammer: 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2015
/
If poor salary is not justification for stealing, how about poor, unpaid salaries?
/

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by miqos02(m): 6:16pm On Dec 01, 2015
yinchar:

@Miqos02, Thank for the laptop you sold to me last week. Despite not meeting you in person, I sent you the money and you post the laptop to the destination, I can't thank you enough, sincere businessman like you is very rare in this country, more grease to your elbow.
thanks boss
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by yommyuk: 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
mapet:

cool

Most of the comments on this topic are by people who lack basic understanding on the following

1. How the public sector is organised and structured
2. The standards required of managing public money
4. Governance, Decision making and financial management within the public sector
5. The role and working methods of a CIVIL SERVANT
6. How to control and manage opportunist and risks within the public sector.

Obviously, Kemi coming from an Auditing background is just implementing what she is accustomed to in the UK.

The basics of Walk through auditing test is a good place to start curbing back wasteful expenditure, which can be used to increase staff remuneration ain't bad either.

SAYING NO TO STEALING PUBLIC FUNDS SHOULD BE OUR SONG
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by texazzpete(m): 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2015
hedonistic:
Rubbish talk. It's easy to say because yo and your fellow thieves don't depend on your salaries anyway.

Tell that to an average worker earning N50,000 a month who has to pay 'modest' house rent of N250,000 a year, pay modest school fees of N50,000 per term for his two children (three terms a year x two = N300,000), cater to miscellaneous needs and running costs, and indulge in a few recreational or leisure activities once in a while.

When one's salary cannot even cover one's most basic needs, you must be joking to suggest that people should not engage in corrupt pratices if/when the opportunity arises.

Fake morality is not an option when you're running on empty stomach.

So basically, you're saying you will steal if given the chance?
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by banio: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2015
When ministers, senators etc go home with over #20 million every month, it's not stealing.
Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

lols @ emboldened. Funniest stuff I have read in a while. As little kids in primary school, the easiest way our teacher could explain occupation to us was_ "Occupation is anything you do to survive and put food on your table" (i.e) personal interest, selfish reasons (albeit positive).
That's why you would see doctors go on strike when their working/pay demands are not met. Someone would ask "what of the oath they took to save lives?".

So, if you need an academician,professor or statistician to to tell you this fact, we shouldn't be having this argument. smiley
You can as well start a thread NAIRALANDERS, WHY DO YOU WORK? I would love to see their replies.
Kudos onyi. Your hubby no make mistake at all.
Teach them.

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by toneroes: 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2015
bulldoza:
Rubbish talk!

Is that the reason I have not received November salary

Last month, the fools lied about some technical issue undecided
What excuse do they have now

Dis govt sef undecided undecided undecided
Dont mind dis govt that is refusing to pay workers salary on time.Take a clue from oga jona govt. Ask Ngozi to teach u how to pay salaries on time.

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by yommyuk: 9:50pm On Dec 01, 2015
texazzpete:

So basically, you're saying you will steal if given the chance?

cool

Peeps just don't get it.

Until people understand that it is everyone's responsibility not to steal, this situation will continue to go on and on.

Family planning and living within ones means is a good start. If you cannot afford a 3 bedroom flat, what is wrong with a self contained one bed flat which is about half the price. If you cannot afford private school, what is wrong with the public school and you finding time to self tutor your kid to fill the gap? Sacrifice time for your family instead of wasting time/stolen money in a beer parlour. Align your lifestyle to match your income. If u cannot afford to live in the city, go to the village and start something.

r u all expecting Kemi to sort Nigeria's problem for u?

Don't worry, Angel Kemi is your saviour?

NONSENSE

1 Like

Re: Poor Salary Not A Justification To Steal - Finance Minister Adeosun by mapet: 7:08am On Dec 02, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

In other words, to you every worker is thief?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Capital Oil Workers Fear Job Losses / Advice For A Friend... / Entries For The Kukah Prize For Young Innovators Now Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.