Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

What Is Wrong With Reason ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With Reason ? (1927 Views)

Which Is Wrong: From The Christian's Perspective? / What Is Wrong With Paying Your Tithe In Church? / Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 4:00pm On May 28, 2009
THOMAS JEFFERSON oce said: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god;because if there be one, he must approve the homage of reason rather than that of blindfolded fear".
Does anyone see senses in the above quote?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 4:05pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

THOMAS JEFFERSON oce said: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god;because if there be one, he must approve the homage of reason rather than that of blindfolded fear".
Does anyone see senses in the above quote?

And your point is. . .?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 4:19pm On May 28, 2009
The point here is that ain't reason rather than blidfolded fear and science rather than religion better for us in Nigeria?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by PastorAIO: 4:52pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

The point here is that ain't reason rather than blidfolded fear and science rather than religion better for us in Nigeria?

Is that your point, or Thomas Jefferson's point?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 4:59pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

I appreciate your point, even though that point is missing its own premise already - but that's just my view. On the one hand, perhaps you assume that 'religion' is synonymous with people who are averse to reason. If that's the case, I know that the Christian faith does not reject reason (see Isaiah 1:8 - "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD"wink. There are also so many other religions that embrace reason; so it may not be quite justified to make the inference you have drawn.

Now, you may agree with me that it helps to know people for who they are before engaging a dialogue with them, yes? Yes. And in this regard, I assume you're a humanist, from what you have stated sometime recently:[list]
amnestylaw:

As a Humanist who knows that science does not have answers to all our problems, I see science, reason and critical thinking as what we need rather than a god or devil we cannot see, verify or feel. Man should be blamed for all the problems of this world and not god or devil because there are no enough evidence to prove they exist.
[/list].
That being the case, how is humanism (another belief system or worldview) 'better than' religion? At least, your brand of humanism (there are several different brands) does not prove itself better than other belief systems; and we can note that certain Humanists are actually religious, although quite a handful of them do not involve theistic convictions. This brings us to the question of definitions and meaning, and it is here that we wonder which brand of humanism you have in mind among the several lot out there, including:

● Scientific Humanism (from the Church of Scientific Humanism)
            quote:   'Scientific Humanism is a rational religion'

● The Humanist Foundation (from the Church of Humanism)
            quote:   'Founded in 1973, the Church of Humanism, located in New York City,
            is the only Humanist religious organization that affirms God as a fusion of
            naturalism and realism'

● Spiritual Humanism (from the Spiritual Humanist Church)
            quote:   '. . . everyone is free to draw upon whatever religious tradition
            and behaviors are most appropriate for their own unique situation and background.'

Certainly, there is also the secular humanism which is averse to religious inclinations of any kind. There are also several expressions of this aspect, and it seems that your own idea inclines to the ideals of one of the largest in Scandinavia: the Norwegian Humanist Association (aka 'Human-Etisk Forbund').

Back now to your original concerns: reason, science, etc as opposed to religion. If that is the case, what then do you think attracts many humanists to religious/spiritual humanism?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

The point here is that ain't reason rather than [b]blidfolded fear and science [/b]rather than religion better for us in Nigeria?

Dont you just want to laugh when these atheists try to ascribe to themselves the exclusive ability to "reason" and "science"?
Who told you christians cant reason and are not scientists? You are not a christian . . . do you believe you have more intelligence than Isaac Newton who was a christian?

What "science" are you talking about? Are you scientifically knowledgeable yourself? I know many born again christians who are scientists, surgeons and engineers in the USA. What are you?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 7:25pm On May 28, 2009
Fellow Nairalanders, this is a response to PILGRIM.1 and many others who think they know Humanism or who know they know nothing about Humanism.

Even though many people, the world over, follow a Humanist philosophy, they may not have heard about Humanism. Some who have heard about it, have a not so clear understanding of what Humanism realy is. I think that is one of the reasons why many religious persons claim to be Humanists today.

My friends, if you care to know, Humanism is a fairly new name for a very old philosophy which has as its basic princples-- skepticism of supernatural claims and an emphasis on living a fulfilling and ethical life  without religion. Humanism is the study of what it means to be a good human being. It is a way of living, thinking and acting that allows every individual to actualize his or her highest aspirations and successfully achieve a happy and fulfilling life.

Humanists,  therefore, beieve that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs, that we can only have one life and we should make the best of it, creating meaning and purpose for ourselves and making sense of the world using  reason, experience and shared human values.
True Humanists are AGNOSTICS (A=without, GNOSTIC=knowledge) because they think we cannot know for sure the answers to some of the big questions about life, including whether god exists or not. Because there is no evidence for the existence of god, for an afterlife, Humanists live their lives as ATHEISTS (A= without, THEIST = god), find other reasons for living good lives.

Fellow, Nairalanders, Humanism is open to all unbelievers and non-religious people---atheists,rationalists,secularists,marxists, and materialists.

Therefore, if you are unchurched, unmosqued, unshrined, that is, if you reject or are critical of supernatural beliefs, then Humanism is for you.

My good friends including (PILGRIM.1) should note that one who believes in any gods, devils or supernatural beings cannot be Humanists. Those who believe in heaven, hell, an afterlife, another world, revelation, miracles and all forms of spiritual encounters cannot be Humanists. One must reject religions and all its deities in favour of the advancement of humanity to find true Humanism

The Happy Human symbol was chosen in a competition organized by IHEU member organization the British Humanist Association in 1965. It was designed by Dennis Barrington. Since then, it (or one of many variations) has been widely adopted by Humanist organizations, including IHEU.

The British Humanist Association holds the trademark in the UK for both the original (upright) happy human and the newer (bendy) version. Hanne Stinson, executive director of the BHA writes: "The upright logo is now used in the UK and internationally as a Humanist emblem (something we are happy to see) -- we are content for any Humanist organisation to use this emblem, and would not prevent anyone from using it in that way."

IHEU member organization Norwegian Humanist Association paid for the symbol to be professionally re-designed in 2005 and the latest versions are shown below.

To know more about Humanism and Humanist organizations worldwide, please visit the below websites or write to the below addresses.

HUMANISTS WITHOUT BORDERS(HWB) P.O. BOX 35417, AGODI GATE P.O., IBADAN,200001, OYO STATE, NIGERIA humanistswithoutborders@gmail.com 07061277865
HUMANISTS WITHOUT BORDERS, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE
INTERNATIONAL HUMANIST AND ETHICAL UNION(IHEU) www.iheu.org
INTERNATIONAL HUMANIST AND ETHICAL YOUTH ORGANIZATION(IHEYO) www.iheyo.org
AMERICAN HUMANIST ASSOCIATION(AHA) www.americanhumanist.org
NIGERIAN HUMANIST MOVEMENT P.O. BOX 25269, MAPO, IBADAN , OYO STATE NIGERIA.

Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 7:43pm On May 28, 2009
Most People argue that : "there are many scientists who believe in god. If many of the world's most intelligent people are theists, then belief in god must be sensible".
I wish to state here that is just a fallacy of appeal to authority, which atheists could equally do as well, or better, Academics, as a group, are much less religious than the general population.
Though it is easy to find scientists who believe, none of them can scientifically demonstrate their faith. Beleif is usually a cultural or personal matter separate from occupation and no one, not even a scientist is immune from the irrational seductions of religion.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 7:58pm On May 28, 2009
davidylan:

Dont you just want to laugh when these atheists try to ascribe to themselves the exclusive ability to "reason" and "science"?
Who told you christians cant reason and are not scientists? You are not a christian . . . do you believe you have more intelligence than Isaac Newton who was a christian?

What "science" are you talking about? Are you scientifically knowledgeable yourself? I know many born again christians who are scientists, surgeons and engineers in the USA. What are you?

You are getting it wrong in the first place. Not all atheists apply reason and science. Infact there are thousands of atheists who don't subscribe to rationalism and science. Maybe you do not know that there are people who are neither atheists nor religious yet they reason and accept science as a tool to understanding our world and profering solutions to our problems.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 8:05pm On May 28, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Is that your point, or Thomas Jefferson's point?

Thomas Jefferson said it. Most people follow it and now am inviting you to come let us apply reason together instead of relying of blidfolded faith which is the substance of thing hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by PastorAIO: 8:14pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Thomas Jefferson said it. Most people follow it and now am inviting you to come let us apply reason together instead of relying of blidfolded faith which is the substance of thing hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

Well my reasoning tells me that there is no way that Jefferson could have known of Nigeria as it didn't exist in his life time. Therefore I don't see how he could make a point of science being better than religion for us in nigeria.

amnestylaw:

Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 8:19pm On May 28, 2009
@amnestylaw,

amnestylaw:

Fellow Nairalanders, this is a response to PILGRIM.1 and many others who think they know Humanism or who know they know nothing about Humanism.

Thank you for your response. Let us assume that your initial concerns were about "reason", I fear you have demonstrated quite the opposite in your reply and have not been reasonable at all. First, I tried to come to a basic  premise and then offered a simple enough question:

'what then do you think attracts many humanists to religious/spiritual humanism?'

You didn't seem to reason out an answer that considers other humanists, but just yakata in open denial that humanists cannot be religious:[list]
amnestylaw:
My good friends including (PILGRIM.1) should note that one who believes in any gods, devils or supernatural beings cannot be Humanists.
[/list]
Perhaps I anticipated you well enough, which was why I went so far to project that your brand of humanism tends towards the ideas of the Scandinavian 'Human-Etisk Forbund'. You just assume that if some humanists have not joined your coterie, they cannot be humanists at all. Who's asking what is wrong with reason if you take that attitude towards other humanists?

Anyhow, let me address your misgivings and wrap this up for you. Perhaps you need to be more reasonable and broad in your research about this issue before drawing a closed-assumption once for all.

amnestylaw:

Even though many people, the world over, follow a Humanist philosophy, they may not have heard about Humanism.

That is strange indeed. I hardly know of many humanists who are self-identified as such and have never heard such a term as humanism. Those who self-identify as humanists know they are humanists and use that term to explicate their own worldview.

amnestylaw:

Some who have heard about it, have a not so clear understanding of what Humanism realy is. I think that is one of the reasons why many religious persons claim to be Humanists today.

Okay, but I doubt that is an answer to the reason why many humanists are drawn to religious humanism. I don't claim to know as much, but the little I've come to understand is that these latter humanists basically have the premise that the supernatural cannot be discounted out of hand, even though they do not lean towards the ideas of theistic (especially Christian) meanings of their spiritual concepts.

amnestylaw:

My friends, if you care to know, Humanism is a fairly new name for a very old philosophy which has as its basic princples-- skepticism of supernatural claims and an emphasis on living a fulfilling and ethical life  without religion.

I don't think so. You're only hoping that humanism is a "new" tag for 'old atheism' so that the supernatural could neatly be denied. Many humanists do not follow that idea, and again is one of the several reason why I left you those links to see for yourself. May I quickly mention that I'm not a humanist and by no means well qualified to present a once-for-all meaning of all brands of humanism. But I think it's fair to allow other humanists to have their say even though they do not tend to Christian theism nor to the hard-lined atheism that you assumed in your post.

amnestylaw:

Humanism is the study of what it means to be a good human being. It is a way of living, thinking and acting that allows every individual to actualize his or her highest aspirations and successfully achieve a happy and fulfilling life.

Uhm, that's the same ideal in so many atheist and theistic religions, my dear gentleman. The issues you identified ('a good human being. . .a way of living. . . thinking and acting. . . actualizing one's highest aspirations. . . successfully achieving a happy life') - all these are elements found well-established in many worldviews and religions. How does humanism (at least, your brand of humanism) suddenly assume any different as if they are absent in other religions?

amnestylaw:

Humanists,  therefore, beieve that we can live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs, that we can only have one life and we should make the best of it, creating meaning and purpose for ourselves and making sense of the world using  reason, experience and shared human values.

Nothing different, bro. 'Using reason, experience and shared human values' are core concepts very well established in many worldviews and belief systems.

amnestylaw:

True Humanists are AGNOSTICS (A=without, GNOSTIC=knowledge) because they think we cannot know for sure the answers to some of the big questions about life, including whether god exists or not.

Sorry, it seems you've veered off yet again and dragooning agnostics into your coterie. That helps you in a convenient way to evade critical thinking, and this very point (critical thinking) is one of the reasons we should not glibly take what you assume without question. Humanists (the many humanists I'm familiar with) do not claim agnosticism out of hand - infact, they go one step further to affirm 'knowledge' of some big questions about life. It is one thing to say that you 'do not know' (agnostic) and quite another to affirm that there cannot be something (denial). One who claims to be an agnostic and tries to deny the supernatural is not a true agnostic, because you have drawn that idea to lead to a hardline atheism, as in your next line:

amnestylaw:

Because there is no evidence for the existence of god, for an afterlife, Humanists live their lives as ATHEISTS (A= without, THEIST = god), find other reasons for living good lives.

Interesting. . . you predicatbly come to the question of "without god" from the denial of the supernatural. Of course, there are humanists who are atheistic; but not all humanists are atheistic - these latter group do not make categorical negative conclusions about the supernatural, and I think they are the ones who properly could be said to lean towards agnosticism.

amnestylaw:

Fellow, Nairalanders, Humanism is open to all unbelievers and non-religious people---atheists,rationalists,secularists,marxists, and materialists.

Hmmm. . . why is your "humanism" not also open to those humanists who are attracted to some religious worldview? No, I have not said that such humanists so drawn are to be regarded as theists; but why do you narrow your own brand of humanism so tightly as to squeeze out those other humanists?

amnestylaw:

Therefore, if you are unchurched, unmosqued, unshrined, that is, if you reject or are critical of supernatural beliefs, then Humanism is for you.

Nope: humanism is also embraced by many humanists who do not reject the supernatural. I may have some considerations for you to provide a naturalistic explanation for some supernatural phenomena, if you're too driven by this narrow ideology.

amnestylaw:

My good friends including (PILGRIM.1) should note that one who believes in any gods, devils or supernatural beings cannot be Humanists.

And what do you call those humanists that have such beliefs?

amnestylaw:

Those who believe in heaven, hell, an afterlife, another world, revelation, miracles and all forms of spiritual encounters cannot be Humanists.

It would be interesting then to see you privide a new term for those humanists that have some inclination towards some form of spirituality - could you amke a recommendation?

amnestylaw:

One must reject religions and all its deities in favour of the advancement of humanity to find true Humanism

Then you're not even clear about atheism, I'm afraid. Dear sir, there are also atheistic religions - they were well-established before the rise of your own brand of humanism; and what's more - atheist authors acknowledge these atheistic religions in their own merit as such, and you therefore cannot make such sweeping rejection against these other atheists. If you do, you may unwittingly have rejected millions of atheists as well just because their worldviews are clearly identified as "religions". Can you make that bargain? If not, your humanism is another class-religion that is self-contradictory - and the best way to clean-up is to either allow others to be self-identified, or refrain from thinking all atheists may by default be humanists.

amnestylaw:

The Happy Human symbol was chosen in a competition organized by IHEU member organization the British Humanist Association in 1965. It was designed by Dennis Barrington. Since then, it (or one of many variations) has been widely adopted by Humanist organizations, including IHEU.

The British Humanist Association holds the trademark in the UK for both the original (upright) happy human and the newer (bendy) version. Hanne Stinson, executive director of the BHA writes: "The upright logo is now used in the UK and internationally as a Humanist emblem (something we are happy to see) -- we are content for any Humanist organisation to use this emblem, and would not prevent anyone from using it in that way."

The symbol is not an all-embracing icon of all shades of humanism - and your brand of humanism is not the only well-recognized. If Hanne Stinson is happy to allow ANY humanist organization to use the emblem, would the same thing be said about those humanists who identify with a religious inclination?

amnestylaw:

IHEU member organization Norwegian Humanist Association paid for the symbol to be professionally re-designed in 2005 and the latest versions are shown below.

I knew about the Scandinavian 'Human-Etisk Forbund' before seeking to address your concerns. Dear amnestylaw, you still have not shed reasonable light on why your brand of humanism topples other types and shades of well-recognized humanist organizations. Care to do this in your next reply? Cheers. wink
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 8:21pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Beleif is usually a cultural or personal matter separate from occupation and no one, not even a scientist is immune from the irrational seductions of religion.

Good point. . . very good point. smiley Which is why your own belief system is not scientific at all. You just assume things far too much than you can contain. Humanism is NOT science.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by JeSoul(f): 8:31pm On May 28, 2009
shocked shocked shocked sister Pilgrim that reply na helele! grin If I were Amnesty I go throw in that wet (from wiping off the sweat) towel grin

Your return to NL did not go unnoticed kiss certainly your scripture-boxing on the tithing threads has made your presence felt lol . . . and again if no one has said it, let me be the one to testify that you have been missed kiss I hope all is well with you and yours.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by budaatum: 8:49pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@amnestylaw,

Thank you for your response. Let us assume that your initial concerns were about "reason", I fear you have demonstrated quite the opposite in your reply and have not been reasonable at all. First, I tried to come to a basic  premise and then offered a simple enough question:

'what then do you think attracts many humanists to religious/spiritual humanism?'

Quote from: amnestylaw on Today at 07:25:37 PM

Its that last quote that makes me jump into this thread, the notion that a humanist cannot be religious, though, let me first attend to the dichotomy raised between religion and reason.

It is a fallacy that religion and science cannot co-exist, and anyone who knows their history will know that science came out of religion, at least in the Christian West. Chemistry, for instance came out of Alchemy which holds religion at its core, and physics came out of the application of reason to the idea that God done it. In fact, when Christ said he will be sending you the Holy Spirit, would one not consider that he was sending one the ability to reason?

On that note, going back to the idea that a humanist cannot be a religious person. Please consider first that humanism did not always mean one is an atheist, it pure meant one had concern for one's fellow humans, and I would assert that Christ, Buddha, and Mohammed, to name but a few exemplified this love of the humankind, in general. In my mind, religion that does not hold that human being at its core can be defined as devil worship, I would suggest.

The issue today is what I would call blind faith. Many will claim that Jesus is Lord, who will save their souls, but ask them how this is meant to be and they haven't got a clue; they do what the devil is said to do, "believe", which they hold as the greatest demand of them from their God while forgetting the greatest humanist tenet, "love your neighbour as you love yourself"!

I guess the humanist today has taken hold of what used to be the preserve of the religio.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Most People argue that : "there are many scientists who believe in god. If many of the world's most intelligent people are theists, then belief in god must be sensible".
I wish to state here that is just a fallacy of appeal to authority, which atheists could equally do as well, or better, Academics, as a group, are much less religious than the general population.
Though [size=14pt]it is easy to find scientists who believe, none of them can scientifically demonstrate their faith.[/size] Beleif is usually a cultural or personal matter separate from occupation and no one, not even a scientist is immune from the irrational seductions of religion.

Christian scientists are not obligated to "scientifically demonstrate their faith" just the same way atheist scientists have consistently FAILED to demonstrate the basic premise of their own "faith" i.e. that God doesnt exist.

You argued earlier that faith is divorced from occupation THEN go right ahead to accuse christian scientists of being seduced by "irrational religion"?

I think many of you simply post without a clear understanding of what it is you wish to pass across.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 9:14pm On May 28, 2009
buda atum:

Its that last quote that makes me jump into this thread, the notion that a humanist cannot be religious, though, let me first attend to the dichotomy raised between religion and reason.

Maybe I should make it clear that because of the many groups and people who today call themselves Humanists,  a new term, Secular Humanism has come to dinstinguish real Humanism from the rest.Secular humanism and atheism are not identical. One can be an atheist and not a secular humanist or humanist. Indeed, some thinkers or activists who call themselves atheists explicitly reject humanist ethical values (for example, Stalin, Lenin, Nietzsche, and others). Nor is secular humanism the same thing as humanism by itself; it is surely sharply different from religious humanism.

On that note, going back to the idea that a humanist cannot be a religious person. Please consider first that humanism did not always mean one is an atheist, it pure meant one had concern for one's fellow humans, and I would assert that Christ, Buddha, and Mohammed, to name but a few exemplified this love of the humankind, in general. In my mind, religion that does not hold that human being at its core can be defined as devil worship, I would suggest.
should also make it clear that secular humanism is not antireligious; it is simply nonreligious. There is a difference.

Secular humanists are nontheists; they may be atheists, agnostics, or skeptics about the God question and/or immortality of the soul. To say that we are nonreligious means, that is, that we are not religious; ours is a scientific, ethical, and philosophical  This means that, as secular humanists, we offer good practical wisdom based on ethics, science, and philosophy.

Ethics is an autonomous field of inquiry, independent of theological claims, amenable to rational scrutiny, testing value judgments by their consequences.
Ethical values and judgments are relative to human interests, needs, desires, ends, and values; they are open to objective criticism and evaluation.
Fulfillment, realization, and maximization of human freedom and happiness are what humanists seek, both for the individual and the community.
Thus there are ethical responsibilities that humanists hold toward others within the community, on the interpersonal level, the level of the democratic society, and the planetary community as well.
Clearly, secular humanism is not equivalent to atheism—it is far more than that. Similarly, secular humanism finds itself at odds with religious humanism, since its outlook is clearly nonreligious. It goes beyond any negative skeptical inquiry insofar as it seeks to provide a positive and affirmative alternative to customary moral and religious practices.

Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by amnestylaw(m): 9:29pm On May 28, 2009
davidylan:

Christian scientists are not obligated to "scientifically demonstrate their faith" just the same way atheist scientists have consistently FAILED to demonstrate the basic premise of their own "faith" i.e. that God doesnt exist.
You argued earlier that faith is divorced from occupation THEN go right ahead to accuse christian scientists of being seduced by "irrational religion"?

I think many of you simply post without a clear understanding of what it is you wish to pass across.

My friend, it may please you to know that in any argument, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
If a person claims to have invented an antigravity device, it is not incumbent on others to prove that no such thing exists. The believer must make a case. Everyone else is justified in refusing to believe untill evidence is produced and substantiated.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 9:31pm On May 28, 2009
JeSoul:

shocked shocked shocked sister Pilgrim that reply na helele! grin If I were Amnesty I go throw in that wet (from wiping off the sweat) towel grin

Your return to NL did not go unnoticed kiss certainly your scripture-boxing on the tithing threads has made your presence felt lol . . . and again if no one has said it, let me be the one to testify that you have been missed kiss I hope all is well with you and yours.

Finally, a big. . . . [size=16pt]WOW!![/size]
Where have you been? Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I certainly missed you plenty-plenty as I did many others. Yes, everything's well with me. . . and I trust better for you! Many blessings. cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

My friend, it may please you to know that in any argument, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
If a person claims to have invented an antigravity device, it is not incumbent on others to prove that no such thing exists. The believer must make a case. Everyone else is justified in refusing to believe untill evidence is produced and substantiated.

I dont know if you've ever been a scientist but if you loudly proclaim that God doesnt exist, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove it. you cant come accusing me of believing in a fairy and then expecting that i shld go prove the existence of the fairy to you. Its not done.

As for those who claim that proving a negative is wrong . . . i assure you that you dont understand science at all . . . its not only about proving a positive.

your analogy is flatly wrong, we didnt claim that you must believe in God BY FORCE . . . no one dragged you here to debate the existence of Christ. YOU came here of your own volition to rubbish christian claims . . . it is up to you to prove your claim.

YOU have claimed that the design theory of creation is wrong . . . well have YOU proven that your own chance theory is correct? Or is the burden of proof ALWAYS on someone else? I see that as delusional hypocrisy.

you are justified in refusing to believe . . . that is your business. You are not being forced to believe.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 9:44pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Clearly, secular humanism is not equivalent to atheism—it is far more than that. Similarly, secular humanism finds itself at odds with religious humanism, since its outlook is clearly nonreligious. It goes beyond any negative skeptical inquiry insofar as it seeks to provide a positive and affirmative alternative to customary moral and religious practices.

Could I take the above quote as yours? If so, then here's my observation:

Although secular humanism is a type of humanism, how is it that you initially assumed that anyone who tends to other types of humanisms (such as the religious/spiritual humanism)  cannot be a "humanist"? I think the problem is that you seemed to have narrowed the term yto apply only to your 'party' while thinking nothing of other "celebrants", if you get my meaning? The only difference here is that you've qualified your own with an adjective ("secular"wink - in just the same way that other humanist organizations have qualified theirs (spiritual humanism, religious humanism, scientific humanism, etc. etc, etc).

What is even more interesting is that you don't seem to have cared enough to consider other humanists on their own merits. This, I take for granted from your use of the term 'religious/religion'. Not all "religions" are theistic (having a belief in a Creator-God) - and certainly, even the Church of Scientific Humanism which describes itself as "a rational religion" does not claim to be steeped in a worship of any deity (as far as I know); but that does not deter them from being honest enough to admit to being a religion.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 9:56pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Though it is easy to find scientists who believe, none of them can scientifically demonstrate their faith. Beleif is usually a cultural or personal matter separate from occupation and no one, not even a scientist is immune from the irrational seductions of religion.

Please indulge me again. I think you're operating on an unhealthy premise. First, you recognize that science does not answer all the questions of our real world, no? If that is correct, on what basis would you justify using "science" to prove the validity or otherwise of the supernatural or the spiritual? As has been observed, people making statements the way you do only lead others to the opinion that you don't have a good grasp of "science". Perhaps what you're tending towards is not science per se, but a very queer form of empiricism which has been the harbinger of such idealism as you espouse.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Please indulge me again. I think you're operating on an unhealthy premise. First, you recognize that science does not answer all the questions of our real world, no? If that is correct, on what basis would you justify using "science" to prove the validity or otherwise of the supernatural or the spiritual? As has been observed, people making statements the way you do only lead others to the opinion that you don't have a good grasp of "science". Perhaps what you're tending towards is not science per se, but a very queer form of empiricism which has been the harbinger of such idealism as you espouse.

I think the latter was correct. Many of these folks dont really understand science at all, they simply use it as a cloak for their unbelief.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by pilgrim1(f): 10:05pm On May 28, 2009
davidylan:

I think the latter was correct. Many of these folks dont really understand science at all, they simply use it as a cloak for their unbelief.
Well, wetin we go do? cheesy I'll wait to see how he progresses. . . which was why I said "perhaps", lol. I agree with you, though. . many people who appeal to such statements may not really demonstrate a good grasp of what they're hoping to convey.

@amnestylaw,
By the way, when you said sometime earlier that, "science does not have answers to all our problems", I wonder if you could cite a few of such problems. Could you outline or highlight some examples that you had in mind? Thank you in advance. wink
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by CNOETIC: 10:12pm On May 28, 2009
davidylan:

I am tempted to think that their unbelief is a function of angst at the system, hopelessness and rejection from society. The annoying part is how they tend to hide it under the cloak of science.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 28, 2009
C-NOETIC:

I am tempted to think that their unbelief is a function of angst at the system, hopelessness and rejection from society. The annoying part is how they tend to hide it under the cloak of science.

It never ceases to amaze me either . . . i hate to use myself as an example but i'm a christian who initially got carried away when i first started research . . . until i realised that rather than debunk christianity . . . science itself is a powerful tool to convince the unbeliever that our world JUST HAS TO HAVE BEEN THE RESULT OF DIVINE INTELLIGENCE.

the cell is the smallest unit of the human body, but the intricate mechanisms that control how a tiny cell behaves relative to the entire human system is beyond amazing. No one can convince me that evolution and chance made that up.

for instance . . . there are 2 types of cells in the lungs, when one set gets destroyed . . . the other set automatically gets prompted to convert itself into a version of the lost cell types. If this never occured, many of us exposed to serious air pollution would be needing lung transplants as early as 50yrs of age.

I just shake my head when i see all these scientifically illiterate folks come here bragging about "science". What about science do you really know?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by JeSoul(f): 11:27pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Finally, a big. . . . [size=16pt]WOW!![/size]
Where have you been? Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I certainly missed you plenty-plenty as I did many others. Yes, everything's well with me. . . and I trust better for you! Many blessings. cheesy cheesy

O jare oh my sista I've been around and fine kiss I'm sure its a small wonder to you why I'm less inclined towards the religion section these days, but nevertheless trust I have been reading ur ever gracious and intelligent posts all over the joint smiley I wish I had half ur patience! lol
But yes I am well, apart from the daily mercies of God where would we be? smiley and I'm glad you are well and by His grace will continue to be. I hope those of salvation will continue to follow the high standards of the servants that have gone before us in all that we do. Amen! smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by JeSoul(f): 11:31pm On May 28, 2009
davidylan:

It never ceases to amaze me either . . . i hate to use myself as an example but i'm a christian who initially got carried away when i first started research . . . until i realised that rather than debunk christianity . . . science itself is a powerful tool to convince the unbeliever that our world JUST HAS TO HAVE BEEN THE RESULT OF DIVINE INTELLIGENCE.

the cell is the smallest unit of the human body, but the intricate mechanisms that control how a tiny cell behaves relative to the entire human system is beyond amazing. No one can convince me that evolution and chance made that up.

for instance . . . there are 2 types of cells in the lungs, when one set gets destroyed . . . the other set automatically gets prompted to convert itself into a version of the lost cell types. If this never occured, many of us exposed to serious air pollution would be needing lung transplants as early as 50yrs of age.

I just shake my head when i see all these scientifically illiterate folks come here bragging about "science". What about science do you really know?

cheesy The way I see it if not for science we would only be able to imagine the wonders of the handiwork of God. Science & discovery just helps us see it even more clearly. And some prefer to falsely think science stands in opposition to God.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by bawomolo(m): 12:04am On May 29, 2009
There is nothing wrong with reason until you think what you reason out is the absolute truth.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by RiffRaff: 12:48am On May 29, 2009
Google d book

AGE OF REASON - THOMAS PAINE.

Reason is greater than belief.
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by toneyb: 1:11am On May 29, 2009
davidylan:

How does this science you know help make the case for your god that says evil spirit cause disease? Is it not because of the science and biology of animals and how their digestive system works that we that Jonah couldn't have survived inside a fish for 3 days? Thanks to science and what it has explained to us we know that the biblical claim that your god first created all humans and animals as vegetarians is false. Thanks to science we know that the sun does not move from place to place as your bible says. Thanks to science we also know that evil spirits do not cause diseases and that striped sticks can not produce striped offsprings when breeding animals. Do the writers of the bible know anything about unicellular organisms and how the lung functions?
Re: What Is Wrong With Reason ? by Nobody: 1:13am On May 29, 2009
toneyb:

How does this science you know help make the case for your god that says evil spirit cause disease? Is it not because of the science and biology of animals and how their digestive system works that we that Jonah couldn't have survived inside a fish for 3 days? Thanks to science and what it has explained to us we know that the biblical claim that your god first created all humans and animals as vegetarians is false. Thanks to science we know that the sun does not move from place to place as your bible says. Thanks to science we also know that evil spirits do not cause diseases and that striped sticks can not produce striped offsprings when breeding animals. Do the writers of the bible know anything about unicellular organisms and how the lung functions?

answer our own questions first dude . . . always avoiding facing your own illogicality while bleating about jonah and his fish.

Kindly explain to me how the earth arrived at exactly 21% for oxygen tension. thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olukoya Donates Buildings To School / God Is A Mistake Converter. He Can Turn Any Mistake Into A Miracle. / Still Having Doubt About Tithing.....?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.