Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn (30536 Views)

Every Job Seekers Should See This!! / 18 Scam Companies Nigeria Job Seekers Should Beware Of / Warning To All Job Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Raalsalghul: 10:56pm On Dec 02, 2015
Whenever I see a number I don't know calling me, I usually start my reply with a greeting-pending on what time of the day we are in.
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by lebete3000: 11:04pm On Dec 02, 2015
ksstroud:
Sir, this is not only about job seekers but the normal thing a gentleman suppose to exhibit...
I'm humbly sorry to say this, if you like you can lay your hands on this book that portray how a gentleman behaves...
Many things we do here in this part of the world are just too awful.
Interview or no interview, phoning has a courtesy...

Courtesy in Nigeria breeds suspicion from a Nigerian or makes people perceive you as a weak Mumu.

Courtesy is meant for those with a bigger picture....does who are thinking internationally not local champions.
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by penn2(m): 11:08pm On Dec 02, 2015
do people still look for job in Nigeria/ why dont you look for how to be your own boss?or look into the internet there are lots of jobs online that goanna fetch ya good dolls..email me if you care to earn good cash...osagiesmith120@yahoo.com
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 02, 2015
I've long held the view that the expression "who is this?" is a rude way to begin a conversation on the phone. When my caller is unidentifiable I usually say "please, who am I speaking. With?" that's a lot tidier and courteous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by ehix89(m): 11:51pm On Dec 02, 2015
Jadonjack:
I got a call some hrs ago from an unknown number, I picked the call and said " yea, wus dis". The caller then said " you don't even know who is calling and you answered the phone like that" I was like who the heck is this, until I hear "my name is ......from ...... Company. I'm calling as regardz your CV you sent to our email". Hearing that, I had to quickly in a loud voice say " Good afternoon sir". The man was nice enough to continue the conversation and at the long run, he said " We ll call you later to tell you when to come for the interview.

I was lucky he listned to me for 6mins but will I be lucky to be employed.

Please, all job seekers should learn to answer their phone calls properly as you do not know which call is the one to achieving your dream.

I will sure keep you guys updated if I'm called or not.
with all the stack of moni on ur profile pics u r still lookin for work,its pple like u that decieve ur potential helpers
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Ife4real: 12:07am On Dec 03, 2015
End time respond

How on earth could u respond like that in the first place

how I wish u learn in a very hard way
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Edostate4love(m): 3:23am On Dec 03, 2015
Jadonjack:
I got a call some hrs ago from an unknown number, I picked the call and said " yea, wus dis". The caller then said " you don't even know who is calling and you answered the phone like that" I was like who the heck is this, until I hear "my name is ......from ...... Company. I'm calling as regardz your CV you sent to our email". Hearing that, I had to quickly in a loud voice say " Good afternoon sir". The man was nice enough to continue the conversation and at the long run, he said " We ll call you later to tell you when to come for the interview.

Please, all job seekers should learn to answer their phone calls properly as you do not know which call is the one to achieving your dream.

Jadonjack:

Jadonjack:

abeg I need job ooo if space dey your company pls let me know am looking for one tank u
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 3:55am On Dec 03, 2015
So many fake callers, fake job givers, 419s, Yahoo boys in the employment zone.
Have com across dem several times, have receive fake calls several times on dis job issue,, therefore do u xpect me to be polite with such people wen they come my way??
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:09am On Dec 03, 2015
UnknownT:
That was how a number called me one morning around late August that she was calling from Petros Consulting for phone interview, wasnt in the right frame for any interview, i asked her to call me back around 10am that same day. Till now, she no gree call back, i go soon post their number for nairaland make other people follow disturb them grin

Yes, our moods at tyms can cause it. I remember I wasn't really in the ryt state of mind when I received the call
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 03, 2015
Israelie:
OP....

Pray, make dem no use ur head.
Just pray its for real... Cos many tins are happening

No doubt about that. It is very real. I checked there website after the call and I saw the number that called me is there office line
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:14am On Dec 03, 2015
dataplans:
This is not applicable to only job seekers. One tin in life is that be nice to everyone because you dont really know where ur help will come from. With that first impression i tink this guy has already lost the job. Always be nice to pple.

I really hope that my approach hasn't disqualified me
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:16am On Dec 03, 2015
menix:
Seriously the manner some people answer their calls could be annoying.

Most of my friends call me customer service cous the way I answer the phones in the office is the same way I answer calls from unknown callers on my personal line..

OP, u were lucky the man was patient but u must be ready to impress him on ur interview day.

Wish u all the best..

Thanks bro
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:22am On Dec 03, 2015
brainzdh:
I'm surprised you had to open a thread for this. It's basic good manners and it's something you learn from childhood.

For every unknown call you receive, courtesy demands you greet and talk politely. Except it's one of ur buddies who you normally use insult or yabbing to greet each other.

I did not open the thread for myself cos I'v learnt my lessons. I opened it cos I'm sure there are millions of people like me out dere who lack phone etiquete and are still unemployed. This might help them change there phn call answering orientation
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 03, 2015
andyanders:

Also be careful that you actually did apply for the said job. Many people out there trying to scam people

Yes, the call was from a company I sent my CV to about 3months ago. I checked there websites after the call
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:35am On Dec 03, 2015
Richy4:
OP I honestly hope for you to get the job bro, But I simply pray the job was not a banking one. because it will be a + 1 of another mannerless staff member added into the banking industry.....

You'v got nothing to worry about bro, its not a banking job. So, be assured I'm nt gonna add to the frustrations yu do gt from bank staff
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 03, 2015
greatiyk4u:
It all depends on the company involved...........

Wen world bank pple invited me 4 an interview, text message and e-mail was sent 2 me informing me of their desire 2 talk to me on fone within next 3days

When they eventually called, they still politely asked if I was free 2 talk 2 them @ that moment.

Unemployment shouldn't turn us 2 slaves in this country when we know we receive many unwanted calls from chykers, service providers, frauster and even churches looking 4 members

Still waiting for the time that will happen in nigeria
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:44am On Dec 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I would say this is just a lesson for you to be careful with how you answer calls, especially calls from unknown/unsaved numbers, at all times. This is important you do it at all times because you can never know who would call you someday.

It is referred to as phone call courtesy or being courteous or gentle while answering a phone. It is something you can learn if you want to. Start by practicing how to answer calls in a more courteous manner. Answering a call does not have to be a war, you know.

As you may already know, first impressions matter during a job hiring process. The first impression you may have created on the caller is that you are not a gentleman or courteous in your ways. Maybe you just lost a N250,000 per month job. I guess, you would learn better from this experience. cheesy

I'v learnt even more than better
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:52am On Dec 03, 2015
ehix89:
with all the stack of moni on ur profile pics u r still lookin for work,its pple like u that decieve ur potential helpers

Yu really have a long way to go in psychology. Pls read books
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 03, 2015
Edostate4love:
abeg I need job ooo if space dey your company pls let me know am looking for one tank u

I have a job vacancy in ibadan
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by wealthypool: 6:18am On Dec 03, 2015
Jadonjack:

judging from ur writeup u answered the call in an unruly manner, some pple don't have the least courtesy on how to communicate on phone, especially when its a strange number calling. that's was what u did. well I can tell u categorically that u can still get the job, but try next time to b ...........
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 6:20am On Dec 03, 2015
wealthypool:

judging from ur writeup u answered the call in an unruly manner, some pple don't have the least courtesy on how to communicate on phone, especially when its a strange number calling. that's was what u did. well I can tell u categorically that u can still get the job, but try next time to b ...........

Thankz bro. Now, I'm checking my phone every minute expecting his call
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by greatiyk4u(m): 6:22am On Dec 03, 2015
[quote author=Jadonjack post=40634290]
Still waiting for the time that will happen in nigeria[/quote
This happened here in Nigeria my dear......
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by greatiyk4u(m): 6:22am On Dec 03, 2015
[quote author=Jadonjack post=40634290]
Still waiting for the time that will happen in nigeria[/quote
This happened here in Nigeria my dear......
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Jarus(m): 6:23am On Dec 03, 2015
Jadonjack:

1, Generally, it is rude to start a phone convo with "who is this?". You say hello and expect the person to introduce him/herself. If he doesn't politely tell him/her that you're not sure you can recognise the voice ("I'm sorry, trying to recognise this voice?"wink

2, Beware of scam sha.
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by scarr: 6:27am On Dec 03, 2015
Afrok:
Thank God I don't smoke, my voice is calm like a customer care representative wink
Wah does smoke have to do with this?
I smoke ~2 joints everyday for YEARS yet anytime I'm on d phone with less freq contacted people/strangers they keep saying "Yes Ma"!!

Shocker?? I'm a guyangry
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by akinladejo: 6:49am On Dec 03, 2015
Jadonjack:

my guy either a job seeker or not once u see an unknown number you are suppose to be polite and pick it in official way. I.e Hello sir, after u hear from the other side then you can now ask who am I speaking or on to?
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 03, 2015
scarr:

Wah does smoke have to do with this?
I smoke ~2 joints everyday for YEARS yet anytime I'm on d phone with less freq contacted people/strangers they keep saying "Yes Ma"!!

Shocker?? I'm a guyangry

My brother, remember, smokers are liable to die young. So, easy with your smoking
Re: An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn by maxti: 7:22am On Dec 03, 2015
Thanks for sharing.
My organization has always done this.
We don't stop there.
We also scan ur email address on line and also against social media sites.

Jadonjack:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Narrates How She Was Called For An Interview But Was Given N800 To Leave / How Civil Servants Are Graded In Nigeria(grade Level) / How To Apply For Dangote Refinery Ongoing Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.