Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,676 members, 7,813,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery (51700 Views)

FG To Shut Abuja Airport For 6 Weeks / Lady Stikes A Pose As Airport Officials In Lagos Stare - .Photos / Blackout Hits Lagos International Airport For Over 2 Hours (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by hugobuzz(m): 8:35pm On Dec 04, 2015
very soon you will get 2 years jail term for expository tweets like this courtesy of APC change

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by DanG1(m): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
marjson:

You mean if you have a valid Visa issued on your Nigerian Passport in Nigeria, you can travel to Ghana or any Ecowas country and board from there? I am ignorant of that. Enlighten me more please

Yes you can, it does not really matter which country your visa was issued from. For West African countries it will to good to get the ECOWAS RESIDENCE PERMIT (not a must because you already have 90days legit), it is a 2 years permit to live and work in Ecowas Countries. With these you have no problems. Just book you return ticket to and from the country's airport you want to use. I feel Ghana is better. I have used it severally with no problems

2 Likes

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by DICKtator: 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
Next time she should be prepared

Give them the money while you secretly record it,then forward to the powers that be

Look at what $50 has cost her now and no one would even believe her without substantial evidence

Those pictures just look like officers doing their jobs!!.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by henrydadon(m): 8:40pm On Dec 04, 2015
redcliff:
Instead of me parting with my hard earbed money to these idiots i let them make me miss my flight. I would feel better using 150 dollars to resechedule than pay them money they dont deserve
lol..I did the same when I was travelling last year and I missed my flight. .I used 80k to reschedule my flight. .and I still paid them demons...them frustrate me..I will never forget that day
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Flexyshubzy(m): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2015
First time travellers are always finding themselves in this shit

Something needs to be done immediately #mindblown
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by redcliff: 8:43pm On Dec 04, 2015
henrydadon:
lol..I did the same when I was travelling last year and I missed my flight. .I used 80k to reschedule my flight. .and I still paid them demons...them frustrate me..I will never forget that day

For me i dont think it would happeb again. I would so scream at them now Because there is nothing they can hold me with.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Urine: 8:44pm On Dec 04, 2015
SmartMugu:
Isn't Amaechi the minister of transportation? I would think he should be responsible for fixing issues like this, or hasn't he resumed office yet?

Immigration is under Ministry of Interior.

2 Likes

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by SmartMugu: 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2015
Urine:

Immigration is under Ministry of Interior.
Oh, thanks for letting me know.
Your moniker though grin
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by hustla(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2015
GurlFriend:
This angry twitter user took to social media to vent out his frustrations on what he termed the disgraceful attitude of the immigration officials at the Muritala Mohammed Airport, Lagos. He alleged that they deliberately delayed passengers in the bid to extort cash bribes ranging from $50 to $150 from passengers, and failure to oblige them means your journey will be delayed as your passport will be seized

Read the tweets below

http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/12/angry-citizen-calls-out-immigration.html

LOL

This is me - I was initially going to post on Nairaland today when it was ongoing but decided against it as the mods might not quickly move the topic to front page. If not for someone who put across a call to the Minister of Interior on our behalf, she would have been detained for no reason

When they hearrd that a top Oga called from Abuja , they started to panic and blame themselves - the guy that detained her already left for home and claimed 'he was not at work today'. na by in leg e use waka come back when e see say no be small matter. They used all manner of excuses like -

Her result was not the original, she took a Photocopy
The person that demanded the bribe was not an immigration officer ( what was he doing at the departure point )
They thought she was being trafficked ( does that even make sense? )
They thought she would not come back to Nigeria again if she boarded the flight
They thought she was into prostitution ( and yet she had school documents fr IT trainings? )
She did not have enough BTA on her ( she had $500 for one month and extra in her ATM for Christ's sakes )

Thank God she has been given her passport back and will book her ticket again later tmr or next week - they are merely Demons and rogues at that MMIA

Change has to happen in Nigeria, thes immigration people are a disgrace to Nigeria

God bless Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by EbolaParasite: 8:47pm On Dec 04, 2015
Sanchase:
The issue of extortion at Lagos and other airports is not just limited to first time travelers. It happens to 99 percent of the travelers at many security check points with staff demanding "find us something".

The issue of passport seizure is absolutely illegal and should be exposed. The traveler should have requested to speak with their Boss who will sort the sub-ordinates out.

[b]Its better to carry fake currency along with you when travelling so that when they ask for money, don't argue just dip hang into the bag and give them a fake note, by the time they visit malam for exchange them go know say khaki no be leather [/b]cheesy

If you are caught with fake currency, you will go to jail. No try am.

2 Likes

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by marjson(m): 8:48pm On Dec 04, 2015
DanG1:

Yes you can, it does not really matter which country your visa was issued from. For West African countries it will to good to get the ECOWAS RESIDENCE PERMIT (not a must because you already have 90days legit), it is a 2 years permit to live and work in Ecowas Countries. With these you have no problems. Just book you return ticket to and from the country's airport you want to use. I feel Ghana is better. I have used it severally with no problems

Thanks for shedding more light.

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by mydeporch(f): 8:54pm On Dec 04, 2015
It is terrible. I remeber wen i was first coming to Qatar to meet my hubby, I av been checked in by the airline and at the security checkpoint, these two men just sitting asked me wia r u going, i told them. checked my passport and said go to that room there. Na so I enter, I met one Man as old as my dad if not older and a younger colleague of his who is the one collecting money. I even met some girls dt were going to Dubai, they were just laughing and I was already worried. The Old Oga just tell me to drop 5k just like dt. I looked at him and i really felt sorry for my country. He left and the young officer there checked my passport wt him and said how much do i have, i told him 890 naira and i gave him 800 naira. he said he only gave me my passport back because he could see that I am not traveling out for d first time- been to UK.

everytime that I have been travelling, i always keep some change on me just in case of their atoro abebe(beg beg). this two months ago dt i was coming back , where dy check luggage, dy asked me to put d money i want to give dem on top my luggage inside. dy picked it there, security collected dia own, nothing to declare also do beg beg... its terrible. I always want to avoid their delaying one's flight.
I hope one day Nigeria airport staff too will be decent like other airports we using abroad.

God help my country.......

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by hustla(m): 8:55pm On Dec 04, 2015
hugobuzz:
very soon you will get 2 years jail term for expository tweets like this courtesy of APC change

Smh
Shoroniyen
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Urine: 8:56pm On Dec 04, 2015
SmartMugu:
Oh, thanks for letting me know. Your moniker though grin
Lmao @ your moniker too.

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Urine: 8:57pm On Dec 04, 2015
hugobuzz:

Actually, that law is supported by both PDP and APC Senators, don't spread falsehood.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Gwammen(m): 9:13pm On Dec 04, 2015
Good for them n I hope they authorities hunt them down. idiots
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by btoks: 9:15pm On Dec 04, 2015
Yes,let's keep exposing these sleazy officials and corrupt institutions. Naijas need to show that we won't be exploited anymore. Other citizens are treated better in their countries.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by anonimi: 9:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
iyaayi:
I feel the same way on this, and many other issues affecting the country right now. Am sure PMB misses the military

handie:
Sometimes, I just wish Buhari is still a soldier and not a democrat.... Now, he can't do anything without the courts(courts that are. Populated by corrupt officials). If na that time, the immigration officials won't even dare ask for bribe and if given, they'll decline. Biko can our constitution be suspended in corruption cases?

Could you please list how many of the countries that Nigerians "escape" to for "better life" are RULED by soldiers and not democratic?
Is it Canada or the US or Britain or South Africa etc?
Which one

Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2829596_img6325197050325_jpeg_jpeg61db8b350e65ada0da8fdf4018fb03e4

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by anonimi: 9:23pm On Dec 04, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by 400billionman: 9:33pm On Dec 04, 2015
handie:
Sometimes, I just wish Buhari is still a soldier and not a democrat.... Now, he can't do anything without the courts(courts that are. Populated by corrupt officials). If na that time, the immigration officials won't even dare ask for bribe and if given, they'll decline. Biko can our constitution be suspended in corruption cases?

What should bother you is, will these ones reported here be punished by their bosses ? Likely NO..

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by kayalla(f): 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2015
they need to be refined. thats what they did to me when i was coming here for a job, i f**king missed my flight, they said myy ticket is one way, and i told the woman that i just got a job there and am going to resume worj there, i showed them my enployment documents everything was intact then this stupid woman wanted me to pay 5000 for because am not coming back soon. like play like play i missed my flight. greedy idiots
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by vicnairaland: 9:44pm On Dec 04, 2015
They all have realised that after all the present administration appears to be paying lip service on corruption. Toothless Bulldog like it often said.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by 247notire(m): 9:47pm On Dec 04, 2015
RickRichards:
If I were president, corrupt officials would be summarily executed on the regular. Okay, maybe not summarily, and maybe I won't execute them, but they will live to rue the day they erred. angry
What are you high on? Are u perfect urself?
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Pelummy(f): 10:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
okeyley:
CHANGE indeed

later some mufos will come and be shouting

sai BULLharry
Please receive BRAIN.

what has buhari got to do with this, it has been happening since buhari even came into existence

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by 247notire(m): 10:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
efilefun:
Can you be truthful to yourself for once During the campaign who started bringing in religion and tribe. Lies won't change anything thou but be truthful
Mr man for this question you have no iota of knowledge of Nigerian history. Go and read...
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 04, 2015
247notire:
What are you high on? Are u perfect urself?
You've been noticed. Bye!
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by mickey45: 10:25pm On Dec 04, 2015
400billionman:

What should bother you is, will these ones reported here be punished by their bosses ? Likely NO..

"Likely" is giving them the benefit of the doubt, SURELY No! They're all in on it.
Maybe a live feed broadcasted on Media like our own Channels TV and international ones like BBC or Al-jazeera will.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by adewasco2k(m): 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
what a coincidence, a friend missed his flight today just because he was asked to pay them $200 and he refused.

like seriously this is becoming something alarming
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by mickey45: 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
[quote author=anonimi post=40695059]

Could you please list how many of the countries that Nigerians "escape" to for "better life" are RULED by soldiers and not democratic?
Is it Canada or the US or Britain or South Africa etc?
Which one

Thanks.

And this extortion started after April 14, 2015? You're stupefying

1 Like

Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 04, 2015
Honestly, those immigration guys at the Lagos airport are just thieves. They don't check nada, all they are interested in is ways to take advantage of travellers.

We need to speak out more about this so as to nip this shameful behaviour from those guys in the bud.
Re: Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery by mickey45: 10:32pm On Dec 04, 2015
Urine:

Actually, that law is supported by both PDP and APC Senators, don't spread falsehood.

I see it as subtle attempts to reverse the FOI act not surprised though.
Saraki and co. will gladly sign this, they'd rather footdrag on the PIB and other important bills

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

90% Of Lagos-Ibadan Railway Has Been Completed, See Images From Various Sites / African Migrant Caught Hiding In Car's Engine In Attempt To Enter Spain(photo) / More Pictures Of The Lagos-Ibadan Railway Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.