Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,107 members, 7,825,500 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's (33335 Views)

Which Of These Childhood Games Did You Play? / Which Of This Is Your Childhood Games (photos) / 15 Funny Childhood Nostalgic Photos That Will Make You Feel Old. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
6. After Round 1 (scissors).

Now this is a funny one, you don't dare it if you don't have the stomach for it, its a game very similar to the intenationally know sciccors, a group of players are expected to pick a number and then each will signify a number with the fingers of one hand and all fingers would be counted to arrive at a number if the number actualised was choosed by any of the players then that player wins, e.g lets say there are five players and each choose from number 1-5 respectively, and then all droped a finger each, the player that choosed 5 wins, this continues until the last player is left without an opponent, which means he/she is the looser, the other players then procced to beating or hitting the back of the loosers palm until the looser could weave all their hands from hitting him/her.

The starting song goes thus: After round one, original panadol extra won tun gbe de.
God, if e don reach my turn to get spanked, I run.. .. .. Lol
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by heysquare(m): 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
12. Please feel free to add yours...
Thanks.
we played Highland (Tennis Ball game) and Station game (cherry seeds)
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by myked(m): 9:45pm On Oct 31, 2017
sylviaeo:
but now u do grin grin

Definitely...... Now I need to be 'unspoilt' ..... Hehehe
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Kobicove(m): 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
4. Suwe.

Honestly i don't know the origin of this game, if its either African or foreign but i know its known worldwide.

The game start by drawing a big rectangle on the floor, then divide it into smaller rectangles or boxes, ranging from 6-12 boxes, with equal amount of boxes on two parts/sides, the left and the right part/sides.

Now there could either be just two players or groups of two team players.

The game goes thus; each of the participants is to first have a seed, which could be created from anything, mostly from plastic or woods. Now they are to trow the seeds to each box according to the number, each box is numbered from 1 to the last number of boxes, that is; let say six boxes on each side/part, now the numbers would be from 1-6 on each side.

After which the players are expected to jump over each boxes as the game proceeds, now this means a participant must jump over box named number 1, then hop on one leg over the next boxes, avoiding the demarcating lines, which if steped upon disqualifies the person or team, now participants are expected to keep on jumping over the boxes as the numbers proceeds, that is after hopping in on other boxes and its time to go on the second round, participants are expected to jump over 2 boxes, box number 1&2 at once and it continues as such, but at the end of each round, players are to back the big rectangle and trow the seed behind them, if it lands on the number they just hopped over then the box becomes theirs, that is they have bought the space and it would be called their house, they also have the right to name it to whatever they like but the seed must fall only on the side in which they hopped, this house is a save haven when jumping/hopping over the boxes, a player could do whatever they like on this box as its theirs, they are allowed to rest their legs, dance, jump, you name it but should never cross the lines of the box they've bought or would be disqualified.

Is the name "Suwe"? We used to call it "Sway" when I was a little boy grin
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Mujtahida: 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
12. Please feel free to add yours...
Thanks.
Pick two. Only barrack children will know this one.
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Rozaytee: 9:48pm On Oct 31, 2017
My favourite was suwe....omo all these games remind me of my childhood..so sweet and interesting

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by mustee4321(m): 9:51pm On Oct 31, 2017
Won ki pe le meta.... Pe. Meaning u dnt shout "pe" three times if u do u got beating. D numbers varies

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by kristen12(f): 9:53pm On Oct 31, 2017
Awwww.......... I feel old na. Its not fair. I still did all these in 2000 and something so its not just 80's
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by abdoolorunwa(m): 9:58pm On Oct 31, 2017
THE FAMILY GAME:where dere can be two or more families with papa going to work and mama keeping d home.u hear things like, day don break,kukuruku.papa goes to bath,mama in kitchen,children preparf for school.and at nyt papa make sure all kids r asleep while he engages lil mum in a blissful nyt-FOR REAL
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Pappyto: 10:15pm On Oct 31, 2017
OmoDavido:
What of this mess line...

"Alabia rirun bi iso mydear "

Mhen this line they pain Ehn! grin
And idie funpo bi ewa ibeji. lol.
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Pappyto: 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2017
mustee4321:
Won ki pe le meta.... Pe. Meaning u dnt shout "pe" three times if u do u got beating. D numbers varies
Yes!
Eniba pee leemeta, abara oodun leyinre.
Those days mehn.
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Malawian(m): 10:29pm On Oct 31, 2017
austine4real:
The hide and seek dey sweet mehn when playin it wt gals. I fvckd titi,tayo,dunsi etc.

Boju boju o oro n bo, e para mo etc.
fukk or poked?

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:12pm On Oct 31, 2017
BiniShrine:
We call it *koso in the northern part of Naija... Hahahahah

Lol grin i never knew its name, thanks for telling it to me wink

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by solepager(m): 11:23pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
10. You Mess.

Laughing real hard right now, how would i explain this one, well its a yarbing game, more like ''Your mama'' played in the United state, this is mostly between two people or a group of people who would take turns to yarb/mess/insult the other player untill he/she comes tops and unbeaten, you are expected to be constructive in insulting your opponent, with either a quick yarb or a short story, the player with the most contructive yarbs/mess/insults wins.

Examples of yarb/mess below.

* You mess kuli kuli form voltro.
* You cheat here, you cheat there, they find the LCM.
* You mess all the fish wey they inside water shout, are we saved.
* You tootoo belle like 7 O'clock News.

E.t.c Lol grin
No try me ooo tongue
OP you mess all the fish wey dey for river `niger get belle tongue
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by austine4real(m): 11:23pm On Oct 31, 2017
lanredavidju:
small small bros which kind Bleep how old u b dat tym highest u touch ....
grin
lanredavidju:
small small bros which kind Bleep how old u b dat tym highest u touch ....
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
Kobicove:

Is the name "Suwe"? We used to call it "Sway" when I was a little boy grin

it is mostly called ''Suwe'' in lagos, i really don't know if it's called Sway cheesy

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:29pm On Oct 31, 2017
solepager:
OP you mess all the fish wey dey for river `niger get belle tongue

kikikiki Lol grin
You mess all the fish wey dey inside river speak french tongue
you mess Babaginda repeat Primary 1
You mess pangolo wear boxers
tongue
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:32pm On Oct 31, 2017
heysquare:

yeah, i played these games too, the Tennis ball was call O.Y.O oyo 1 2 3
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by sirfee(m): 11:37pm On Oct 31, 2017
shumuel:
5. Hide and seek.

This is also a very popular game and kids all over the world love it till date, now just has the name goes its simply hide and seek, a child would be selected to close his/her eye and count, mostly to ten(10) or any other number, one choosen by other players, then at the end of counting he/she is expected to go fish out where everyone is hidding or atleast to fish out one of the participants, who would now take his/her place, to count and then seek out someone.
My favourite.
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:42pm On Oct 31, 2017
AirstarKane:

Number 5 was a perfect no for more than 2 peepz chai my cousin beat shege i cry tire

Lol grin number 5 was always a lucky number, i bet the back of your palms would always get red
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:49pm On Oct 31, 2017
sylviaeo:
as for dat " u mess" stuff, na one side I go stand dey shout "e no sweet" for d loser or "e dey pain pain" or Laff maniacally at d loser

Lol grin doing such could make the losser cry back then and i mean serious cry
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by shumuel(m): 11:55pm On Oct 31, 2017
RIchieSuazo:

OP, You did not add BIRO BOXING
Please explain this one to me, i dont think i know it or maybe it is called something else
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by ameh99: 12:03am On Nov 01, 2017
I really miss the good old days...SUWE cool
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Auwm1(m): 3:14am On Nov 01, 2017
I experienced from 1 to 10,that was fun then...You 4got to add Biro fighting,,,Mummy and Daddy,,,My name chike chike my name Chike etc
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by WarriDemon: 4:46am On Nov 01, 2017
Where is Otori and Game box?? Even mopo sef

1 Like

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by MrOwonikoko: 5:20am On Nov 01, 2017
Mummy and Daddy play...kai! Chidinma suffer for my hands as mummy while i was the daddy. grin grin grin

Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by pat077: 6:32am On Nov 01, 2017
feeling nostalgic
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Carter4luv(m): 7:51am On Nov 01, 2017
shumuel:
11. When will you marry ?
Now, this is a skipping rope game, in which you are asked some questions and you are expected to give a reply by the numbers of skips you can acheive.

The questions goes thus:

When will you marry, this year, next year, single forever ?
January, february, march.... December.

How many wives/husbands will you have ?
How many kids would you have ?
How many cars would you buy ?
How many houses would you build ?

1, 2, 3, 4....

Oh den life was sweet and peaceful.
Rain rain go away come again another day little children wants to play.
Willy willy Don die na who kill am, na ijele kill am clap hand for ijele, give him a big clap.
Canta ball.
Robber ring games
Slipepe.
Oh life oh life oh life.
Today life is no more sweet as youths decided to engage demselves in cultism and kidnap.

Lord restore back the ancient Nigeria
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by igbsam(m): 8:10am On Nov 01, 2017
heysquare:

My 2 favourite game. Including table tennis

My Name, My name, My Name....pa mu re ge ji
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by Suniprezzo: 8:17am On Nov 01, 2017
austine4real:
The hide and seek dey sweet mehn when playin it wt gals. I fvckd titi,tayo,dunsi etc.

Boju boju o oro n bo, e para mo etc.

I also blow most of my elder sister's friends too thru dis game...guess their brothers did too! Life
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by migeoart(f): 1:39pm On Nov 01, 2017
Why is mommy and daddy play not listed grin
Re: 12 Most Memorable Childhood Games In The 80's by stevedre: 1:45pm On Nov 01, 2017
myked:

Hahahaha....... I wasn't 'spoilt' then.... I played it with an older girl who was always pulling my 'kini' & touching me.... Whenever I reached under her clothes to pull something too, I found nothing there...... I didn't understand

Hahhahahah....you knew nothing but was looking for something. I guess you found it now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My 35 Year Old Brother Is Still A Trouble To My Parents and siblings / Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper? / My Husband Flogs Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.