Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,597 members, 7,851,019 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:19 PM

Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee (781 Views)

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal / Clinton Blames Islamic Militants Rise On Obama Policies / BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by SeanT21(f): 7:46am On May 31, 2009
I personally think the only reason Obama picked her is because she is a minority.I guess he wants to put other minorities in High Places.That's a good idea. cheesy

The Repubs are calling her Racist because of a statement she made once upon a time. embarassed

What are your thoughts on her Is she qualified?? a Racist maybe
??

Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by C2H5OH(f): 7:50am On May 31, 2009
are you saying uncle Obama is racist
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by TayoD1(m): 8:46pm On May 31, 2009
@C2H5OH,

Great question!!!!!!! Whatever happened to judge not a man by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character!!!!!!
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by RichyBlacK(m): 2:22am On Jun 01, 2009
She's aight. Though I wouldn't nominate her but she's okay.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by C2H5OH(f): 2:25am On Jun 01, 2009
Tayo-D:

@C2H5OH,
Great question!!!!!!! Whatever happened to judge not a man by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly. That's why I enjoy politics. All the tic-tac-toe never ends.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:35am On Jun 01, 2009
Tayo-D:

@C2H5OH,

and what is wrong with her?
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by TayoD1(m): 3:28am On Jun 01, 2009
@TOH,

ThiefOfHearts:

and what is wrong with her?
I never said anything was wrong with her! Would I nominate her, maybe not. As the poster said, it appears Obama may have nominated her because of her minority status.

She appears to be influenced by race and other preconceived ideas she may have had. Of five of her cases that got to the Supreme Court, she was overturned on three (60%); and in four of those cases (80%), the court faulted her interpretation of the law. This makes me extremely wary of her!
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:51am On Jun 01, 2009
seems there's alot of "appears to be " "might" "maybe"
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by SeanT21(f): 5:15am On Jun 01, 2009
C2H5OH:

NOO. I guess he just want to help other minorities out. I agree with him. I would have done the same. wink
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by Remii(m): 5:30am On Jun 01, 2009
I honestly think Obama should do more due diligence on people he nominates. Imagine two of his nominees have to drop out because on tax issues (same offense Wesley Snipes is jail for) Now he has to help this woman rephrase her statements. He may help the people he thought are neglected or deprived but should not be over done. He got his election on merit and not solely on sympathy or racism.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:54am On Jun 01, 2009
I dont see anything wrong with that statement she made years ago. Anyone who claims they havent made judgments from their own prescriptive is a dirty liar.

I diagree with her opinion of the situation with the firefighters in CT but other than that, I believe she's fine.

O'Connor went thru the same BS when she was the first woman elected. Repubs will look for any reason to whine about his decisions. Buncha whiny crybabies.

Na Clarence Thomas be betta person? shio
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by NegroNtns(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
@post

If you took the same path of hardship and struggle that Sotomayor took to arrive where she is and become who she is, then your view of the society and its institutions will not be disimilar from her's. The statements she made, repulsive as they may sound, if at all, are the summaries of her memories growing up in a society that labels and marginalizes her stock as "undesirable" and mock their achievements as a chance, rather than a deliberate act of excellence. She is fighting to change the status quo and introduce reformative ideas to balance the makeup of the ruling class.

On the other hand, Chief Justice John Roberts' judicial opinions is a reflection of his past and memories as well and he fights to keep the status quo. He is a minimalist and emphasizes respect for precedent and avoids reforms. Roberts' opinions reflects a view that the Court should almost always defer to the existing power relationships in society.

So they both are torch bearers for what they believe in and the direction they believe the country should head - for Roberts, a continous imbalance that sustain white rulership by keeping in tune with the existing law and their precedent interpretations, and for Sotomayor, introduce balance through new interpretations aimed at uplifting judicial trust for the underclass and do so using existing "entitlement" programms for cost evaluation.

If the republicans say she is racist and kkk because of these views, then Roberts is the embodiment of William Lynch.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by Sissy3(f): 2:53am On Jun 02, 2009
i dont really see nothing wrong with her nomination. i think she is qualified for the job, even though as a judge she hasn't really touched on the hot issues i.e abortion, but still i think she will have proper interpretation of the law. as for the statement she made regarding that Latina and white men thing, her opponent took her words out of context. I'd suggest they go and read the whole transcript and see what her statement was meant to imply. the conservatives can whine all the can, the only thing they probably have on her is probably delaying her confirmation but not preventing it. too bad for them.

as for Rush L. and Newt Gingrich and co they are free to call her racist, radical etc because they are not going to face the voters. the ones going to face the voters among the republicans are the ones probably keeping mute cause they sure do know what they stand to lose in their respective districts. they need the women and Hispanics votes and any move they make in confirming her will probably be held against them, thats probably why they are trading carefully.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by TayoD1(m): 3:10am On Jun 02, 2009
@Sissy,

Can you provide the context in which she made the comment? Do you know it at all?  'Cos if you do, you wouldn't even come up with this pretext of context! Like Gingrich said, would a White man get away with such a statement if he made it in reverse?  I don't really think so.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:04am On Jun 02, 2009
who gives a damn. Gingrich is a racist gay anyhow. Why isnt he dead yet
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by FBS: 7:50am On Jun 02, 2009
Obama is brilliant. cool
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by TayoD1(m): 12:57pm On Jun 02, 2009
@TOH,

who gives a damn. Gingrich is a racist gay anyhow. Why isnt he dead yet
Asuming that Gingrich is a racist, does it excuse Sotomayor becoming a racist?

What I am finding out here is that people don't really midnracism. They only shout then because it was a White on Black racism. Something tells me if the roles were reversed, many of you would not even care.

Racism is racism and should be condemned in all its forms.
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:38pm On Jun 02, 2009
abeg jare. Newt is a nitwit and needs to be buried. I already said I disagreed iwth her on the issue in regards to the firefighters in CT which is reverse racism by the fire department of CT for throwing away the entire test results cos the black firefighters all failed. However that's the fault of CT more than the supreme court
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 02, 2009
this was as much a political decision. If Sotomayor is confirmed then the GOP can forget the latino vote in 2012 which means a second term for Obama unless the economy goes into a horrible tailspin.

Brilliant!
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by Ibime(m): 6:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
Tayo-D:

@TOH,
I never said anything was wrong with her! Would I nominate her, maybe not. As the poster said, it appears Obama may have nominated her because of her minority status.

My friend, he nominated her so that bigots like you would raise up a stink, driving the latino vote into democratic hands. . . . the Republican party is finished!
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by TayoD1(m): 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
Ibime:

My friend, he nominated her so that bigots like you would raise up a stink, driving the latino vote into democratic hands. . . . the Republican party is finished!
I'm sure you'll agee with me that this is not one of your sensible posts on nairaland!
Re: Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee by yeswecan(m): 10:01pm On Jun 03, 2009
chosen poorly

(1) (Reply)

Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' / Primary School Shooter + He Also Killed His Mother / PHOTOS: How Obama Daughters Spent Their Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.