Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,551 members, 7,955,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:29 PM

Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? (2829 Views)

Ever Happened To You? (Weird Coincidences, Synchronicity, Law Of Attraction). / Goodness Gracious, Whatever Happened To Nairaland:lost All My Fantastic Topics!! / Whatever Happened To The Program "pastor Explain This" On Ogtv!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 1:00am On Jun 01, 2009
Beloved,
"Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee ," Revelation 3:3.

Ponder the verse above and get wild for Jesus! Only one life,only one opportunity,only one destiny.Once we have walked the last mile of this way,there will be no other chance to come back to correct the mistakes we are now making.There will be no 2nd chance to finish our unfulfilled destinies.I must work the work of Him that sent me while it is day,the night cometh when no one can work.

Remember the old times,years ago when we got converted.Remember the sense of urgency God put within us.Remember how we wanted to tell everyone we met about the Lord.Remember how much we prayed those days(not for money,mansions,or material things),but to know Him,be like Him , live like Him,and live for Him.Those days ALL we thought about was Him! ALL we talked about was Him and ALL we WORRIED about was pleasing HIM.He was all we had and He was more than enough.

We had no cars but we were more satisfied than those who had limos.We had no money,but felt richer than Bill Gates! We had no wives,no husbands and no kids,but we were not lonely or depressed, because we had found a new family;the family of God.We wanted to be with God's people.Those days we had no big and beautiful cathedrals,but we were happy to fellowship in those small ramshackled structures, they were like heaven because God was there and the brethren were there.

Those days, we were not conscious of fame,fashion or finance.Position and worldly power held no attraction for us.The world was nothing,heaven was everything.The glory of this world was crap,heaven was the real deal.Professors and peasants,educated and illiterate,rich and poor,we were all one.We loved one another,stood up for one another,encouraged one another,cried with one another,rejoiced with one another,prayed for one another ,shared with one another,and truly cared for one another.Gossip,slander, backbiting, tale-bearing,and selfishness was unheard of and unimaginable amongst us in those good old days.

Those days we tried to outdo one another (albeit unwittingly),not by flaunting our cash but by increasing our consecration.Our cry then was always for more.More of Jesus.More of holiness.More humility.More tenderness.More love.More grace.More souls.More fire.It was more ! More! More! All the time.We were not satisfied with crumbs,we wanted meat.We wanted bones.We wanted depth.we wanted the cross.We wanted the narrow way,we wanted the deeper life .We wanted the higher way.
Then,it was the hotter the better.Everyone wanted to give;everyone wanted to serve;everyone wanted to pray;everyone wanted to evangelise;everyone wanted to visit;everyone wanted to to be pure;everyone was ready to even die for the Lord.

Our bibles were well used and well worn in those days.We read them like our very lives depended on them.We believed everything we read, hook,line and sinker.There was no arguing with God's word those days.We read it because we wanted to know it;we wanted to know it, because we wanted to do it.So we read the word;we knew the word;and we obeyed the word.

Those days we really knew how to pray! We prayed to impress God not men.We had read stories about men like apostle James who prayed so much that his knees became like that of a camel with massive callouses and lumps.So we prayed.Some of us prayed so loud,so hard ,so long,and so often, that we felt our hearts literally shifting out of place like Praying Hyde's!

We thank God for our secular achievers.But those good old days,God's people were our examples.We were challenged by the stories of great christian heroes.We shed many tears as we read about their uncommon love for God .We dreamt dreams,as we heard of the exploits they had made and the territories they had conquered for Christ their King.We wanted to be like them.We wanted to follow in their footsteps.We did not strive to become like secular worldly heroes.Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Oba,  , and contemporary political figures,black or white, were not our role models those days.We were inspired by heroes like Hudson Taylor ,David Livingstone , C.T. Studd,D.L.Moody,William Booth,and William Carey.We were moved by the likes of John Wesley,John Fletcher,Charles G.Finney, Florence Crawford, Madame Guyon,Fanny Crosby,Martin Luther,Savonarola and others of like passion.We read their stories,admired their exploits, and emulated their examples.To us,those were the real heroes.Those days.

Those days, we hardly prayed for material things and personal miracles.We were not going to church because we wanted to become millionaires or get rich quick.We were not in church to get worldly success at all cost.Those days we went to church because we wanted to please God and live for Him.Those days we did not run from one crusade to another ,one church to another looking for healing,deliverance and 'blessings'. We knew that we would get God's best and whatever extras He had for us including persecution,only by seeking Him,so we sought God.We prayed,we fasted,we yielded,we cried,we tarried.

When we sought HIM,He blessed us.When we sought HIM,He gave us success.When we sought HIM,He gave us money.When we sought HIM,He gave us houses,and lands and spouses and children.We did not follow the signs,but they followed us.We did not follow the miracles but they followed us.We did not go seeking for the good things of life,but goodness and mercy followed us.That was the story of our life those days.That was the way we lived those days.That was how we were those days.That was how I was those days.That was how YOU were those days. Whatever happened to those good old days? I think I need help.What about YOU?

Yours in need of prayers and revival,

C.Gimoh

Comments and reactions are welcome.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Image123(m): 10:47am On Jun 01, 2009
@emporium
thanks for the post. Those good old days are still for Today. The problem is that many christians have been taught AGAINST the old fashioned way, but God's foundation stands sure and unmoveable. What we need is a personal revival. Let the revival start from the individual to his family to the fellowship. The Spirit of holiness is still in the world with us. All we need do is not doubt, Only Believe
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by AKO1(m): 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2009
Emporium please endeavor to paragraph in future. . undecided
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by KunleOshob(m): 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2009
@POST
Corruption as entered the church and the church no longer practises christianity. As per the revival of the church i believe Jesus would have to come back a second time to revive his true church.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Tudor3(m): 2:20pm On Jun 01, 2009
@poster
Tell that to holy criminals like pastor adeboye and oyedepo.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by solosimple(m): 3:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
@emporium
thanks for the post. Those good old days are still for Today. The problem is that many christians have been taught AGAINST the old fashioned way, but God's foundation stands sure and unmoveable. What we need is a personal revival. Let the revival start from the individual to his family to the fellowship. The Spirit of holiness is still in the world with us. All we need do is not doubt, Only Believe
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by NOWORRIES: 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2009
SEED SOWING AND MALACHI
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by KunleOshob(m): 4:17pm On Jun 01, 2009
@Post
Christianity was commercilized due to the greed of some of it's preachers.
It has also beeen highjacked by false propehts most of whom are just after money and power. The sad thing is that this evil false prophets have introduced and instituitionalized so many false doctrines[like tithing] into christianity and the real essence of the faith[love] as been almost completely lost.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by jagunlabi(m): 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2009
But this has always been the situation with christianity since the 4th century.What is new?What is good old christianity,anyway?In what situation or state was christianity when it came to africans for the first time?Was it in a "pure" state?Ofcourse it was not.It has always been in a very corrupted state long long long before it reached the african shores.
KunleOshob:

@Post
Christianity was commercilized due to the greed of some of it's preachers.
It has also beeen highjacked by false propehts most of whom are just after money and power. The sad thing is that this evil false prophets have introduced and instituitionalized so many false doctrines[like tithing] into christianity and the real essence of the faith[love] as been almost completely lost
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by ezeagu(m): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2009
You mean the old fashioned Christianity when people where stoned for divorce, or is that too old fashioned?
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by yommyuk: 2:37am On Jun 03, 2009
@jagunlabi -  wink

There are preachers who say if u are a christain you should not fall sick
There are also  preachers who advocate that if u do not tithe u will be financially cursed.
There are also some who will say  that you should not mingle with those that don't bless u.

Now what is my point?

By their fruits we shall know them.
That is why we should seek the truth in the WORD OF GOD and it will set us free from these so called men of gods
If we fall into their traps. it is because of our inability to seek the truth.
Paul was a true pharisees. He defended the faith with his life enduring many hardships on the way. Still he acknowledged that he had not
reached prefection.

That is why as a christain u must not conform to the world that we are living

Very board is the way to destruction. but narrow is the way to eternity.
very few find the way to the latter.
However I know that God the exposer of what is done in the dark will soon bring all their deeds to the light.
For this I am rest assured. cool
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 5:56pm On Jun 03, 2009
Image123:

@emporium

True !

A_K_O:

Emporium please endeavor to paragraph in future. . undecided

Thanks, noted.

ezeagu:

You mean the old fashioned Christianity when people where stoned for divorce, or is that too old fashioned?

That is not christianity ! You are confusing Old Testament Judaism (where sins such as adultery attracted capital punishment) with Christianity.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 6:04pm On Jun 03, 2009
Tùdor:

@poster
Tell that to holy criminals like pastor adeboye and oyedepo.
?
NOWORRIES:

SEED  SOWING AND MALACHI

KunleOshob link=topic=278496.msg3958151#msg3958151 date=1243857884:

@POST
Corruption as entered the church and the church no longer practises christianity. As per the revival of the church i believe Jesus would have to come back a second time to revive his true church.

[quote author=yommyuk link=topic=278496.msg3968103#msg3968103 date=1243993024]
@jagunlabi -  wink

There are preachers who say if u are a christain you should not fall sick
There are also  preachers who advocate that if u do not tithe u will be financially cursed.
There are also some who will say  that you should not mingle with those that don't bless u.

Now what is my point?

By their fruits we shall know them.
That is why we should seek the truth in the WORD OF GOD and it will set us free from these so called men of gods
If we fall into their traps. it is because of our inability to seek the truth.
Paul was a true pharisees. He defended the faith with his life enduring many hardships on the way. Still he acknowledged that he had not
reached prefection.

That is why as a christain u must not conform to the world that we are living

Very board is the way to destruction. but narrow is the way to eternity.
very few find the way to the latter.
However I know that God the exposer of what is done in the dark will soon bring all their deeds to the light.
For this I am rest assured. cool

[/quote]

"And if the righteous SCARCELY be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?" 1Pt 4:18
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by bawomolo(m): 9:03pm On Jun 03, 2009
humans would always look for the "good ole" days when in reality the world has always being tumultuous.

Look ahead instead of looking back.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 10:00pm On Jun 03, 2009
bawomolo:

humans would always look for the "good ole" days when in reality the world has always being tumultuous. 

Look ahead instead of looking back.

Am all for looking ahead and being positive as you will see from  my future articles.However, as far as God's Word is concerned, the standard is unchangeable.
Civilizations will come and go; nations will rise and fall; human philosophy would evolve and crumble; heaven and earth will pass away; but God's standards for His Church will never change.

It is permissible for the Christian church to evolve new strageties, come up with new programmes, and apply modern methodologies to confront modern challenges, but it is impermissible to alter,dilute, or change the essential characteristics of our faith.Holiness is still holiness.Justice is still justice.Righteousness is still righteousness.Consecration is still consecration.If God demanded these from us yesterday,that demand is still as urgent today as it was yesterday,and ever will be until we leave this side of heaven.

In view of the above, continuous self examination in the light of God's standards is an imperative for progression.The Lord Himself challenges us to: "REMEMBER therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee ," Revelation 3:3.
Also see: Jeremiah 6:16 "Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the OLD paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein."
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by yommyuk: 12:42am On Jun 04, 2009
@emporium
So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. cool

let that be your model. wink
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 10:36am On Jun 04, 2009
yommyuk:

@emporium
So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. cool

let that be your model. wink

EXACTLY! grin
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by solosimple(m): 11:29am On Jun 04, 2009
Am all for looking ahead and being positive as you will see from my future articles.However, as far as God's Word is concerned, the standard is unchangeable.
Civilizations will come and go; nations will rise and fall; human philosophy would evolve and crumble; heaven and earth will pass away; but God's standards for His Church will never change.

It is permissible for the Christian church to evolve new strageties, come up with new programmes, and apply modern methodologies to confront modern challenges, but it is impermissible to alter,dilute, or change the essential characteristics of our faith.Holiness is still holiness.Justice is still justice.Righteousness is still righteousness.Consecration is still consecration.If God demanded these from us yesterday,that demand is still as urgent today as it was yesterday,and ever will be until we leave this side of heaven.

In view of the above, continuous self examination in the light of God's standards is an imperative for progression.The Lord Himself challenges us to: "REMEMBER therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee ," Revelation 3:3.
Also see: Jeremiah 6:16 "Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the OLD paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein."
Good post!
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by JJYOU: 12:22pm On Jun 04, 2009
mmmmmmmm
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by UyiIredia(m): 3:56pm On Jun 04, 2009
nice post !!!!!!!! >>>> remember in the Bible
when God told Elijah that he still had 7000 people who hadn't bowed to Baal >>>>
well then !!! >>>> i believe that even today the 'old-fashioned' Christianity still exists >>>> PEACE !!!!!!
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Generica(m): 12:48am On Jun 06, 2009
Emporium
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2009
Generica:

Emporium, you are worthy to be my friend. Here's my phone number,07039308817. May God hear the cries of the poor in spirit and grant them the kingdom of God and may there be a new dimension of spiritual realities. May old-time christianity be established once again by the government of the Spirit until the rule of God has sway in every aspect of life in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

God bless you sir. Here is my email address : charles@christianmarkets.co.uk . You will find my phone numbers and other relevant details on the contact pages of our websites: www.christianmarkets.co.uk OR jesuspeopleinternational.com . Shalom.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Nobody: 3:35am On Jun 09, 2009
so so confusion, thats why u av to be a muslim,take it or leave it jesus christ is coming back as a muslim and is going to lead prayers in the mosque when he comes, because christianity is corrupt and the religion is weird to him, "aboro lan so fun omo oluwabi toba de nue adodindin", if u like u can shout back at me but ISLAM is telling you the big truth if u dont know.the holy spirit they thought jesus would be sending is not in the christian world and is never been there right from even when the catholics killed millions of people for holding bible, he said himself that "he will teach u all things, does christianity teach u all things other than to be in grace and go and take alcohol since st paul said u can take it but not to drunk and when ure eventually drunk u misbehave and ask for forgiveness and hide under the grace again,st paul has confused everyone into believing wrong teaching since they themselves are very lazy to comply with the laws and its consquencies,thereby making everyone hide under "grace"
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by savanaha: 3:40am On Jun 09, 2009
uplawal:

so so confusion, thats why u av to be a muslim,take it or leave it jesus christ is coming back as a muslim and is going to lead prayers in the mosque when he comes, because christianity is corrupt and the religion is weird to him, "aboro lan so fun omo oluwabi toba de nue adodindin", if u like u can shout back at me but ISLAM is telling you the big truth if u dont know.the holy spirit they thought jesus would be sending is not in the christian world and is never been there right from even when the catholics killed millions of people for holding bible, he said himself that "he will teach u all things, does christianity teach u all things other than to be in grace and go and take alcohol since st paul said u can take it but not to drunk and when ure eventually drunk u misbehave and ask for forgiveness and hide under the grace again,st paul has confused everyone into believing wrong teaching since they themselves are very lazy to comply with the laws and its consquencies,thereby making everyone hide under "grace"

Yeah like Muslims haven't killed millions and holding the Quo'ran. Muslims are still killing people in the name of the Qu'ran and allah akbar. Girls are married off before they can even speak to some old geezers. Acid and what not is thrown on girls to prevent them from going to school because Allah wants women at home. I know Muslims girls that drink, smoke (including weed) and have premarital sex. Don't act like their is no religion devoid of sinners. Muslims should be the last to point fingers.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by emporium(m): 10:32am On Jun 10, 2009
uplawal:

so so confusion, thats why u av to be a muslim,take it or leave it jesus christ is coming back as a muslim and is going to lead prayers in the mosque when he comes, because christianity is corrupt and the religion is weird to him, "aboro lan so fun omo oluwabi toba de nue adodindin", if u like u can shout back at me but  ISLAM is telling you the big truth if u dont know.the holy spirit they thought jesus would be sending is not in the christian world and  is never been there right from even when the catholics killed millions of people for holding bible, he said himself that "he will teach u all things, does christianity teach u all things other than to be in grace and go and take alcohol since st paul said u can take it but not to drunk and when ure eventually drunk u misbehave and ask for forgiveness and hide under the grace again,st paul has confused everyone into believing wrong teaching since they themselves are very lazy to comply with the laws and its consquencies,thereby making everyone hide under "grace"

Is it not thought-provoking that while MANY religions, including yours, accord JESUS CHRIST  some form of respect,recognition and acceptance,Christianity does not [/b]have room or recognition for [b]ANY other messiah,saviour or so-called prophet from another religion? There is only one original (John 14:6).The original is always exclusive,unique and peculiar.However,there are many counterfeits! Counterfeits will always defer to the original.

There are 2 sides to the Church.The visible church(made up of saints and sinners ) and the Invisible Church (made up of individuals that have been saved from a life of sin ).God recognises only the second one of these two.They are the true Christians.You will not find a true christian fighting,fornicating,stealing or indulging in wicked activities.However, a true christian could become spiritually cold,careless or backslidden.God does not impose His will on the Church.We serve Him because we love Him,not because we are scared of being stoned to death or of having our limbs chopped off by another imperfect person sitting as judge over us in the name of Sharia.That is the beauty of grace! Grace does not make us lawless.Rather,it encourages us to live within the the confines of the law without being under the law like slaves. 

Therefore,The fact that some christians are not living right,does not mean that the whole church is confused and backslidden.I have lived among religious people on four different continents, and am yet to find a perfect Muslim,Budhist or Pagan community ANYWHERE.Men are free moral agents.People will choose to live the way they like and Christianity will not compel people to live like robots.Even in Muslim nations like Iran and Saudi Arabia where people are COMPELLED by Islamic law to live in a certain way, vices such as alcoholism, adultery, theft, and all forms of crime are still rampant.There is a thriving homosexual community in Iran,for instance!It is muslims that are heartlessly bombing fellow muslims to death in Afghanistan,Pakistan and Iraq! The other day i read the story of a muslim man who was caught in the act of bestiality with a goat in northern Nigeria! Sharia has not succeeded in caging the carnal and sinful activities of many of our muslim friends.

True Christianity encourages purity and transparency. That is why true Christians  are not afraid to cry out against perceived injustice and moral laxity within the visible church.Today, many among us are being influenced by the unwholesome activities of the 'mixed multitudes' within the the visible church.Unlike in other religions where hypocrisy abounds,such as in many muslim communities where muslims visit brothels at night, conceal alcohol in kettles ( i witnessed these, first hand, during my 4 year stay in Borno state),true Christians are always the first to cry out against sin and wickedness within the visible church.That is the reason for my article.

I love you.Jesus loves you even more.Give your life to Him.God bless you.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by UyiIredia(m): 12:15pm On Jun 10, 2009
@@ emporium

em, i'll back u up on what u told d 'uplawal' >>>>

@@ uplawal

i don't claim to know islam but i was involved in paganism b4 chose to be a Christian.
fine >>>> not all Christians represent the ideals Christ stood for >>> that doesn't make it a pushover
just d way i won't grow goosebumps when i see an alfa cuz' of Osama__ dat shld ring a bell grin grin

what are my convictions for choosing Christ as my Lord >>> *He chooses to love despite my faults
*I can relate with him through prayer
*He died 4 me

dat's all i can say >>> i can only show u THE PATH it's up to u to choose to walk in it
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by SisiJinx: 12:27pm On Jun 10, 2009
Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity?

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!!

When you find out, do let me know. undecided
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 10, 2009
u still would not hear, jesus never died sisters and stop arguying.
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by savanaha: 5:53pm On Jun 10, 2009
uplawal:

What??
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 10, 2009
uplawal:

then where is He? Isnt is amazing that He didnt die, will come back to earth while mohammad died like every mortal?
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2009
hes coming back to die after finishing his mission cos he dnt finish his assignment, after he kill the Anti-christ he will now die as eveyone did, about MUHAMMED he had definately finished his own mission, so he died like every other person, jesus's likeness was put on another person and the jews thought he died, and he was raised to heaven by Angels, my dear theres nothing like his blood for remmission of sins, antway i wont blame people that believed so,its cos of what we ve made to believe
Re: Whatever Happened To Old-fashioned Christianity ? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 10, 2009
uplawal:

hes coming back to die after finishing his mission cos he dnt finish his assignment, after he kill the Anti-christ he will now die as eveyone did, about MUHAMMED he had definately finished his own mission, so he died like every other person, jesus's likeness was put on another person and the jews thought he died, and he was raised to heaven by Angels, my dear theres nothing like his blood for remmission of sins, antway i wont blame people that believed so,its cos of what we ve made to believe

i'm glad you also included that because all you just wrote about is an irrational belief.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Mental Illness, A Cry For Attention. / Pastor Kumuyi Remarries In Uk / Muslims What Actualy Convince You That Realy Muhammed Is Prophet Of God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.