Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? (7359 Views)

Poll: Can they?

Yes: 40% (19 votes)
No: 59% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

How Nollywood And Hollywood Almost Killed Me! (+PICS) / Things Hollywood And Bollywood Movies Teach Us / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by adekennis(m): 8:10pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hollywood,Nollywood,Bollywood

Is there no other better names dan all dis wood wood for film industry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
sad sad sad sad angry
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by tommyex(m): 8:45pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nollywood is not match for Bollywood, the indians will rather go 2 the US, people like to move to a higher level!!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2009
Why not!! The indians will jump at it. Nigeria is a big country to them irrespective of the present condition of things. These guys think of nigeria like the US.

Tell me how it would benefit the indians? Nigeria is big but India is almost 10 times bigger in both economy and in population, Nollywood brand! how would you attract a collaboration with Bollywood when it wont benefit them,
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by md4real(m): 10:14pm On Jun 23, 2009
yes! in the next world. grin
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by okokomeji: 11:48pm On Jun 23, 2009
@umar22
Tell me how it would benefit the indians? Nigeria is big but India is almost 10 times bigger in both economy and in population, Nollywood brand! how would you attract a collaboration with Bollywood when it wont benefit them.

What do you mean? It’s not by size or population, it’s just commonsense thing. In Portugal, the current population is just 10million and colonized almost the whole south America (even Brazil) and parts of Africa.
The same thing goes to Britian be 1922 colonized almost three quarter of the world.
It’s just pathetic to Indians that they still believe in grandiose of their silly ancient hierarchy class’ caste. They respect anything white and look up to white people semi-God, but any color less fair than their color is useless.
Let some artists from Portugal with its small population say they want to “collabo” with Bollywood, I bet you, they would simulcast in their nationwide.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by sley4life(m): 12:01am On Jun 24, 2009
Nollywood is 3rd largest in terms of population and not anything else. 9ja takes 48hrs to conclude a movie. They rush movie thats why 60% of our movie we watch are meaningless. Up till now what chinese or the americans did 100yrs ago we cant do it. We cant perform stunts. No effect. How can a country release more than 200movies a month. It shows our level of development. Check top actors in Hollywood, one actor or actress act at most 4 movies a year. But in 9ja Jim Iyke will act 20-30 movies a year. No directing and poor script writing. We cant compare Nollywood with UK movies. Bollywood is far better and i dont know if we can colab with Bollywood.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by mamagee3(f): 12:05am On Jun 24, 2009
nooooooooooooooo. ;d
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Thirdborn: 12:42am On Jun 24, 2009
@Captured and everyone else,
I am not trying to be a player hater or Naija hater or nolly h, but all you have to do is really sit down and try to imagine Jim Iyke (with his lousy acting) in a scene with a Bolly or Hollywood actor or actress. U must be laughing.

I am not saying a Nigerian can never star with a foreign star but it surely won't be these wack jobs. Mind you we have Nigerians making waves abroad e.g Adewale agbaje (LOST) and Chiwetei Ejiofor (Inside man). As a matter of fact if you have seen the movie Mistress of spices by Ashwarya Rai one of bollywoods hottest actresses, you'll find 2 Nigerians in there namely Adewale Agbaje and Caroline Chikezie but unfortunately they are not nollywood products. Till Nollywood steps up their game or allow people who can enter and step it up for them, nothin nothing for them. As far as i'm concerned this bolly nolly thing is like Nigeria delivering grain to Niger during thier famine.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Ndipe(m): 2:18am On Jun 24, 2009
captured:

It is no more news that Nollywood and Bollywood have given HollyWood a run for thier money, but how will people especially nigerians respond to shows, movies and such projects between Nollywood and Bollywood.
Would we get the response level we get when you mention Hollywood stars?
For example: If Bollywood living legends like Anil Kappor of Slumdog Millionaire,  Dharmendra and Hemamalini were to come to Nigeria on a tour or something like that?

cheesy cheesy cheesy Funny comment in a while. Like Hollywood titans like Spielberg and George Lucas and the rest are so Worried that Hollywood would be overshadowed by Nollywood and Bollywood.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 6:56am On Jun 24, 2009
Let some artists from Portugal with its small population say they want to “collabo” with Bollywood, I bet you, they would simulcast in their nationwide.

Well Freida Pinto (slum dog millionaire) is from a GOA an area in India owned or colonized by Portugal
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by biola44: 8:21am On Jun 24, 2009
yes, they can, never say never! grin
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by davidif: 9:00am On Jun 24, 2009
ARE YOU SERIOUS, NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD HAVE GIVEN HOLLYWOOD A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY? hOLLYWOOD MAKES MORE IN A YARE THAN BOLLY AND NOLLY COMBINED, INFACT HOLLYWOODS BIGGEST HIT FOR A YAER MAKES TEN TIMES MORE THAN ALL NOLLYWOOD FILMS OUT TOGETHER, SO DON'T THINK THAT HOLLYWOOD IS WORRIED ABOUT A SILLY RANKING, WHAT'S THIS PRIMARY SCHOOL?

AS PER YOUR NOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD COLLABO, GO COLLABO WITH SOUTH AFRICA FIRST. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK YOU CAN PAY A BOLLY ACTOR WHEN THIER SALARY WILL MAKE 100 NOLLYWOOD FILMS.

Thank you o jare, you hit the message right on the head.

India has over $400bn in reserve, US just borrowed over a Trillion
So that now makes India richer than the US uhn abeg go learn economics.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by feyisetan(m): 9:09am On Jun 24, 2009
big joke.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by davidif: 9:11am On Jun 24, 2009
Hmmm Brash!! I doubt it but have you seen Slumdog Millonaire?
If you haven't, It walked away with eight Oscar!!
Made up totally of all Indian/Bollywood cast but mostly British/American/Hollywood crew!!

emperoh,
It was a British production and not a bollywood production, geez.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by pek(m): 9:15am On Jun 24, 2009
comparing the two or saying that nollywood ha given hollywood a run for their money is a big joke. there is no comparism. bollywood can never have anything to do with the so called nollywood. they have nothing to gain from nollywood. if our film makers are serious, they should go to india for retraining and development. the two are wide apart and bollywood is universal, strong and too technically advanced for our nollywood.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 9:29am On Jun 24, 2009
I was once in a restuarant in South London, and I realised that 3 tables away from me they were shooting a scene for a nollywood movie and I gasp that WTF is going on here,

Atleast they should've acted like normal customers who came into a resturant, but no they had to over do it, 

"That contract of a project worth £2m" was signed in a resturant,(Part of the movie storyline)  the guy given it all large, he would do this do that,  and everyone was looking at them, they should have asked the people in the restuarant to act normal and continue with their food and drinks but NO NO NO,   A year later my mother called to say I could have dressed more decent if I was going to appear in a movie, I said to her that I just finished playing football and I was starving,  I couldnt careless whether the guy with the camera man was a local or Martin Scorsese. I was so hungary to be bother about what they were doing,  Another day in Thamesmead around 10am I heard someone shouting outside so I looked out of the window, guess what it was Jide Kosoko on the mobile bragging giving it large, calling £m as if he was Bill Gates, I thought it was a joke until realised that they were shooting a movie,  I felt ashamed at that moment, because I have walked past a Bolywood movie setting around East London! the difference is like a gulf in size,
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 9:33am On Jun 24, 2009
So that now makes India richer than the US uhn abeg go learn economics

why dont you read the article properly!!! may be you would learn one or two things
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nezan(m): 10:47am On Jun 24, 2009
pek:

comparing the two or saying that nollywood ha given hollywood a run for their money is a big joke. there is no comparism. bollywood can never have anything to do with the so called nollywood. they have nothing to gain from nollywood. if our film makers are serious, they should go to india for retraining and development. the two are wide apart and bollywood is universal, strong and too technically advanced for our nollywood.

Inferiority complex too dey worry una 4 Naija angry angry angry angry
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 12:03pm On Jun 24, 2009
Inferiority complex too dey worry una 4 Naija

Its got nothing to do with complexity, its a business venture, trying to merge 2 brand products its like 2 + 2 = 3 and not 5

And in the Music industry its easy for a nigerian singer to collabo with any singer in the world because the music industry have moved leap and bounds to improve the quality of their music, but the film industry they stood still churning out rubbish on a daily basis (approx 6 to 7 movies a day)
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by sley4life(m): 12:21pm On Jun 24, 2009
omar22:

I was once in a restuarant in South London, and I realised that 3 tables away from me they were shooting a scene for a nollywood movie and I gasp that WTF is going on here,

Atleast they should've acted like normal customers who came into a resturant, but no they had to over do it, 

"That contract of a project worth £2m" was signed in a resturant,(Part of the movie storyline)  the guy given it all large, he would do this do that,  and everyone was looking at them, they should have asked the people in the restuarant to act normal and continue with their food and drinks but NO NO NO,   A year later my mother called to say I could have dressed more decent if I was going to appear in a movie, I said to her that I just finished playing football and I was starving,  I couldnt careless whether the guy with the camera man was a local or Martin Scorsese. I was so hungary to be bother about what they were doing,  Another day in Thamesmead around 10am I heard someone shouting outside so I looked out of the window, guess what it was Jide Kosoko on the mobile bragging giving it large, calling £m as if he was Bill Gates, I thought it was a joke until realised that they were shooting a movie,  I felt ashamed at that moment, because I have walked past a Bolywood movie setting around East London! the difference is like a gulf in size,

Spot on
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by whiteroses(f): 8:42pm On Jun 24, 2009
how will nollywood do it when they stole most of their stories, how will they work with those awful yellow wigs our actress wear, and dont even get me started on the hissing and eyeing, very unproffesional lol
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by bolagun12(f): 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
i doubt it
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Qc1(m): 5:28am On Jun 25, 2009
H. Ogunde last movie project (Mr. Johnson staring, 007 James Bond hiself, Pierce Brosnan.) was all about collaboration you are talking about. However you can't compare today producer and director to Nollywood Godfather Ogunde. Like someone mentioned earlier, naija movie with the exception of those Ogunde movie is far off to what you can actually call an"epic" movie. IF most producer/ directors/actors are like those of Ogunde era, YES, nollywood can be compare to Bollywood. And maybe we will be talking about collaborating of the two movie industry today.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by samparian(m): 6:26am On Jun 25, 2009
May i have your attention please.

i'm not here to compare Nollywood and Bollywood, because there's no comparison. Till date, we cannot make or match Bollywood movies of 1980 or even 1975.
Like Hollywood, Bollywood recovers its investments from Cinemas. Nollywood has no cinema tradition because of insecurity, So we only get back our money from direct sales of DVDs.
Some producers dont get back their investments after shooting a movie.
I've supervised a movie production a couple of years back and i've also featured in a movie so i know what i'm talking about.

I've also witnessed movie productions in Asia so i know we are in two different worlds. they shoot their movies on celluliod while we recently graduated from Betacam to HDVCAM. Even the HDVCAM is hired by our producers. 90% of our producers do not own any equipment because those equipments are very expensive and that is why we produce movies faster than akara balls so as to reduce cost of production.

Nollywood and Bollywood can work together if:
1. There is a good story that can bring them together
2. Real investors from Nigeria willing to finance/ co produce such a story
3. Patience of the Nigerian investor ie willingness to wait for like 6 months minimum for production.

when we have this, we can work together. Bolloywood doesnt need us to progress, we need them to move ahead.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Nezan(m): 10:08am On Jun 25, 2009
omar22:

,,,,,, in the Music industry its easy for a nigerian singer to collabo with any singer in the world because the music industry have moved leap and bounds to improve the quality of their music, but the film industry they stood still churning out rubbish on a daily basis (approx 6 to 7 movies a day)

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by omar22(m): 11:29am On Jun 25, 2009
May i have your attention please.

i'm not here to compare Nollywood and Bollywood, because there's no comparison. Till date, we cannot make or match Bollywood movies of 1980 or even 1975.
Like Hollywood, Bollywood recovers its investments from Cinemas. Nollywood has no cinema tradition because of insecurity, So we only get back our money from direct sales of DVDs.
Some producers dont get back their investments after shooting a movie.
I've supervised a movie production a couple of years back and i've also featured in a movie so i know what i'm talking about.

I've also witnessed movie productions in Asia so i know we are in two different worlds. they shoot their movies on celluliod while we recently graduated from Betacam to HDVCAM. Even the HDVCAM is hired by our producers. 90% of our producers do not own any equipment because those equipments are very expensive and that is why we produce movies faster than akara balls so as to reduce cost of production.

Nollywood and Bollywood can work together if:
1. There is a good story that can bring them together
2. Real investors from Nigeria willing to finance/ co produce such a story
3. Patience of the Nigerian investor ie willingness to wait for like 6 months minimum for production.

when we have this, we can work together. Bollywood doesnt need us to progress, we need them to move ahead.

SPOT ON

Enough said!!! I mentioned something along the same line, but people showed their level of ignorance, I saw Kuch Kuch Hota hai (one of Shah Ruhk Khan first movies in 19987/cool when it came out, when you compare it with Nigerian's Oscar winning film called "Jenifer" that recently came out, Then you would realise that the journey has just started for us!
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by edogram1(m): 10:24pm On Jun 25, 2009
i don't know where to start from,

this can never work. becos the India culture hate the Africa culture.

i am leaving in India presently, and i know how Indians feel about black people.

And mostly Nigerians in personal. I know of many Indian actors who hate Africans just becos of our black skin.

their firm industry are intimidating the black Indians let alone,

to good to be true.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by Thirdborn: 11:49pm On Jun 25, 2009
Finally, a forum where most of the people are smart and logical. Thanks to you all for pointing out to people who are delusional that Nolly is in a class of its own, Last.

I just got these stats from forbes, Bollywood generates Almost $2 billion in revenue a year (will generate $4 billion by 2011 due to huge deals being signed between Holly and Bolly), While Hollywood generates almost $10 billion a year. Nolly on the other sorry hand with 200 home videos a month generates $250 million a year (according to former President Obasanjo not Forbes). So where is the comparison. When they are collaborating with The Largest and highest grossing film industry (Hollywood) why would they waste time with nollywood that is if they were not begged to come so the Nolly punks can brag in the press, I don tire jo.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by edogram1(m): 4:39am On Jun 26, 2009
Thirdborn, thanks.

well' what i well say is that,

America is bigger than India and Nigeria, and india is bigger than nigeria.

two states in America is bigger than the whole of Nigeria and 5 -7 states in India is Bigger than the whole of Nigeria.

America have about 50 states
while India have 28 states.

in this case, i would admit that this Holly and Bolly did great in ranking due to their population.

whereas Nigeria in question come out as world third in ranking with is low population compere to western world, whereas country like Japan, China , France, Germany , Spain , Italy, South Korea  and the United Kingdom, we all quietly knowswell that these country is bigger and well develop than Nigeria.

nigeria in question is the populous country in africa race.

what i will advise Nigeria industry is to come out with a better storyline and with Africa culture not western culture.

and with a good camera and enough trilling.

some thing like this moving 'Broad Day Light', 'Silent Night'.

if India bollywood r preparing to invest with the Nigeria movie i was wondering how the firm is going to look like becos we and the India have no history to act on.

it's really Curios.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by edogram1(m): 4:50am On Jun 26, 2009
UN Dispatch's John Boonstra passes along a fascinating milestone. The Nigerian film industry (known as Nollywood) has surpassed Hollywood to become the world's second largest after India's Bollywood:

According to the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) survey, Bollywood – as the Mumbai-based film industry is known – produced 1,091 feature-length films in 2006. In comparison, Nigeria’s moviemakers, commonly known as Nollywood, came out with 872 productions – all in video format – while the United States produced 485 major films.

“Film and video production are shining examples of how cultural industries, as vehicles of identity, values and meanings, can open the door to dialogue and understanding between peoples, but also to economic growth and development,” said UNESCO Director-General Koïchiro Matsuura.

“This new data on film and video production provides yet more proof of the need to rethink the place of culture on the international political agenda,” he added.
Re: Can Nollywood And Bollywood Ever Work Together? by sexyLeamon(f): 5:24am On Jun 26, 2009
maybe a special appearance may do

Please Recommend Some Good Nigerian Movies / Korean Films Vs American Film(season Films) / Where Can I Download "Battle-on-buka-street"?(pix)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63