Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? (3291 Views)

Okorocha: Hausas Can Win Election Without Igbos, Hence The Hausa-Yoruba Alliance / "Igbos And Yorubas Are Embarrasing Nigeria" - Verified Fulani Twitter User Says / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 09, 2015
Igbos are accused of tribalism and bigotry in Nigerian politics while Hausa-Fulanis are home free for applying the same motives in their votes and alliances.

True.

The question is why?

Out of all the geo-political regions in Nigeria, the North arguably benefited the most from GEJ's administration. But Northerners were the most vocal in their disdain for him largely due to his ethnicity, a disdain echoed endlessly in the media-hounding insults he endured, and ultimately, his dismissal from the presidency this year.

I assert that his ethnicity was largely to blame as far as the North is concerned because, contrary to what many think, corruption in past administrations led by Northern leaders did not inspire as much rabid condemnation from Northerners.

We could also deduce that ethnicity played a role in the Northern hatred for Jonathan given the 2011 post-election violence in the North, where innocent youth corpers became victims of circumstance in a bloody show of anger and resentment.

Of course, their deaths are nothing more than a meaningless footnote in Nigeria's grim history. cry

If igbos are tribalistic in politics (although Jonathan NOT being Igbo is a confuzzling snag in this label) they are not worse than their Northernly neighbors, really.

So it begs the question of why Hausas are generally off the hook for employing tribal politics while Igbos are vociferously condemned, judged and penalized for doing the same thing.

As an aside, the only group that largely calls Northerners out for being tribalistic, if social media is any indication, are Igbos. And in an ironic twist Igbos are lashed out at and called tribalistic rabble rousers for daring to touch the sacred cow of the Nigerian prison state.

Given this double standard, is it REALLY out of reach to surmise that this contraption called Nigeria has a tribal hierarchy, where the North is a supreme race absolved of all sins? Where the south east is observed under a microscope by watchful eyes ready to snap at their every (misdirected) move?

Adding regionalism and parochial, almost racist attitudes pervasive in the country to this disconnect calls to question the viability of the Nigerian state.

Is all this heartache, insult, anger, divisiveness and misgiving worth it?

To forcibly sustain a country nobody REALLY likes anyway....

....is madness!

Just thinking.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 09, 2015
Blackmen shocked shocked
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by babyfaceafrica: 7:38am On Dec 09, 2015
Lolz...a bigot is a bigot..no matter which tribe and which region.....if you sentimentally do something for your kindred or tribesmen over another ..you are tribalistic..what should be th motto for everybody is performance and quality over tribe and favouritism....every rgion in Nigeria has its own bigots..but all we need is a detribalized leader,unfortunately we have not had dose for years....breaking up won't solve much,it will just create bigger problems..but some people don't seem to care

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by OrIandoOwoh(m): 8:05am On Dec 09, 2015
true talk

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 09, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
Lolz...a bigot is a bigot..no matter which tribe and which region.....if you sentimentally do something for your kindred or tribesmen over another ..you are tribalistic..what should be th motto for everybody is performance and quality over tribe and favouritism....every rgion in Nigeria has its own bigots..but all we need is a detribalized leader,unfortunately we have not had dose for years....breaking up won't solve much,it will just create bigger problems..but some people don't seem to care

This still doesn't address the main point here...

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by EasternActivist: 8:37am On Dec 09, 2015
On point... The cowards will always wait for any miscalculation of Igbo's to attack and strike them...
But are not ready to confront the northerners while they go on jamboree with tribalism...

Why would a particular people even seen as born to rule. In a Democratic country.

Rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by DecemberIV: 8:41am On Dec 09, 2015
Look at your fingers. Your answer lays there.
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by kingbasil: 8:52am On Dec 09, 2015
Nigeria is a jungle...
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by PrinceAlex001(m): 8:53am On Dec 09, 2015
I think at this point everyone needs to read about the pre-colonial history of Nigeria, the colonial administration and most importantly the independence and post independence history of Nigeria (1960-1968). It was the event during this period that led to the hatred between Hausa and Ibo.

Read about Okotie Eboh's affiliation with the Whitemen before independence.
Read about the First coup carried out in Nigeria.
Read about the death of tafawa balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

All these events can never make the northerners like the Easterners for anything. They prefer to support the Yoruba's rather than support the Ibo's. the beef don teeyyyyyy, no be today.
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 09, 2015
The Northerners have always expressed hatred for the Igbo without just cause. Look at the 1945, 1956 riots for starters. These happened prior to the 60's.

But that (and your post) is by the way as far as my original post is concerned.

The question is....why is the North permitted to play tribal politics while the Igbos condemned?

And why is the propaganda of a united country sustained given this double standard?

If Igbos are not given the same benefit of the doubt as Northerners, despite Northerners -

A. Orchestrating numerous ethnic & religious riots and attacks in the North since 1945, costing tens of thousands of lives

B. Comprising herdsmen that invade and attack host communities in the middle belt and South, killing the natives

C. Amassing most of the oil wells belonging to Niger-Deltans while gracing Forbes lists with resulting oil billionaires

D. Instigating Jihads that claimed Muslim lordship over parts of the middle-belt and Yorubaland for over a century.

E. Starkly yielding discriminatory tactics in public administration/government, including hiring, commissioning of federal projects, etc.

Why are we not questioning the blatantly Hausaphilic mess that the country is in....and why do we think that Igbo attempt to break away is laugable?

PrinceAlex001:
I think at this point everyone needs to read about the pre-colonial history of Nigeria, the colonial administration and most importantly the independence and post independence history of Nigeria (1960-1968). It was the event during this period that led to the hatred between Hausa and Ibo.

Read about Okotie Eboh's affiliation with the Whitemen before independence.
Read about the First coup carried out in Nigeria.
Read about the death of tafawa balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

All these events can never make the northerners like the Easterners for anything. They prefer to support the Yoruba's rather than support the Ibo's. the beef don teeyyyyyy, no be today.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by babyfaceafrica: 9:22am On Dec 09, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

This still doesn't address the main point here...
the main point is that both are tribalistic...simple

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 09, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
the main point is that both are tribalistic...simple

Meaning that everything in my first post flew over your head.

Please reread it and get back to me when you have something relevant to add.

Else I think quoting you is a waste of my time.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by babyfaceafrica: 9:29am On Dec 09, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Meaning that everything in my first post flew over your head.
Please reread it and get back to me when you have something relevant to add.
Else I think quoting you is a waste of my time.
lolz

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Rucheen(m): 9:30am On Dec 09, 2015
Unfortunately their hates can't stop us

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2015
For God's sake when will someone please stop cramming hausas and fulanis together!!! We are NOT the same friggin people. Maybe the fact that you people never seem to care to learn anything about the north has something to do with your question!

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by LasgidyPort: 3:22am On Dec 20, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Igbos are accused of tribalism and bigotry in Nigerian politics while Hausa-Fulanis are home free for applying the same motives in their votes and alliances.

True.

The question is why?

Out of all the geo-political regions in Nigeria, the North arguably benefited the most from GEJ's administration. But Northerners were the most vocal in their disdain for him largely due to his ethnicity, a disdain echoed endlessly in the media-hounding insults he endured, and ultimately, his dismissal from the presidency this year.

I assert that his ethnicity was largely to blame as far as the North is concerned because, contrary to what many think, corruption in past administrations led by Northern leaders did not inspire as much rabid condemnation from Northerners.

We could also deduce that ethnicity played a role in the Northern hatred for Jonathan given the 2011 post-election violence in the North, where innocent youth corpers became victims of circumstance in a bloody show of anger and resentment.

Of course, their deaths are nothing more than a meaningless footnote in Nigeria's grim history. cry

If igbos are tribalistic in politics (although Jonathan NOT being Igbo is a confuzzling snag in this label) they are not worse than their Northernly neighbors, really.

So it begs the question of why Hausas are generally off the hook for employing tribal politics while Igbos are vociferously condemned, judged and penalized for doing the same thing.

As an aside, the only group that largely calls Northerners out for being tribalistic, if social media is any indication, are Igbos. And in an ironic twist Igbos are lashed out at and called tribalistic rabble rousers for daring to touch the sacred cow of the Nigerian prison state.

Given this double standard, is it REALLY out of reach to surmise that this contraption called Nigeria has a tribal hierarchy, where the North is a supreme race absolved of all sins? Where the south east is observed under a microscope by watchful eyes ready to snap at their every (misdirected) move?

Adding regionalism and parochial, almost racist attitudes pervasive in the country to this disconnect calls to question the viability of the Nigerian state.

Is all this heartache, insult, anger, divisiveness and misgiving worth it?

To forcibly sustain a country nobody REALLY likes anyway....

....is madness!

Just thinking.

In contrast to your assertions, Northerners still voted more for GEJ....

...than Easterners voted for Buhari.

In tribalism, both of u guys are two sides of a coin. Your write-up is just the case of the 'Kettle' calling the 'pot' black.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by VintageCocktail(m): 5:48am On Dec 20, 2015
Nobody wants to get involved in assaulting the 19 states of the north if they probably need to win an election when the time comes. They lump the north together as if they are one ethnic group and then applies the divide and rule tactics down south to divide southerners along ethnic and tribal lines even with their 17 States.
I may not answer your question but politically, every power hungry party has to date the north because of their sheer numbers to achieve the desire ambition and any opposing party is used as an scapegoat. Southerners let this happen to them, and Igbos being too vocal and upfront about the North's supremacy tags are bearing the brunt.
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by pussyphilia(m): 6:17am On Dec 20, 2015
Op, that's part of the injustice people have been talking about.

My advice to the Igbo's:

Since they have refused to grant ur desire for self determination, remain where ever you reside in this contraption and defend your life and businesses with everything possible.

No more anything like "host" community or such nonsense. The next time Yoruba's attack you in Lagos, attack them back. Or the hausas attack you in the north, attack them in greater measure. In fact, Lagos is now officially a NO MAN'S LAND.
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 6:49am On Dec 20, 2015
pussyphilia:
Op, that's part of the injustice people have been talking about.

My advice to the Igbo's:

Since they have refused to grant ur desire for self determination, remain where ever you reside in this contraption and defend your life and businesses with everything possible.

No more anything like "host" community or such nonsense. The next time Yoruba's attack you in Lagos, attack them back. Or the hausas attack you in the north, attack them in greater measure. In fact, Lagos is now officially a NO MAN'S LAND.

And you're wondering why a northerner wont vote for a south easterner.
Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Aufbauh(m): 7:08am On Dec 20, 2015
@Op, your write up is full of logics and assumptions than realities.
Having schooled in the North and now working in the south lagos precisely living in an igbo dominated environment i can tell you the difference between an Igbo and a Hausa-fulani man dispositions of tribalism.

The hausa-fulani man is more loyal and committed to his religious beliefs than his ethnic/traditional beliefs in contrast to an Igbo man.
The hausa-fulani man does not voice his tribalism, he shows it tactically in action with humility and isolation.
He's not a show off man so he detest arrogance
His words are mostly his bound, so he hates when you renege on your promise, that's why they went against GEJ election. You can recall that they voted enmass for MKO against their own brother Basir Tofa, and also voted for OBJ but when PDP decided to jettison the rotational presidency agreement they sees it as a betrayal and an affront. So Jonathan was just a child of circumstances then as they could have gone against anybody from the south and would have supported anybody from the north be it David Mark a North Central Christian.
I think Ibos are the most predictable tribe in the whole of Nigeria, always showing you their thoughts. While this maybe a godly attribute it is detrimental to human coexistence as they are things you better keep close to your chest than voice out.
There are many cultural differences between the two but i won't want to go there as these few observations can enlighten you if you're ready to digest it with an open mind.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Hausa-fulani. Why? by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 25, 2015
So as long as you don't voice tribalistic thoughts you are free to do what you like in Nigeria.

Including kill, maim and discriminate.

Actions are more preferable than words....you may be right!

Igbos have a lot to learn to fit in with the "NigerIan crowd."

Aufbauh:
@Op, your write up is full of logics and assumptions than realities.
Having schooled in the North and now working in the south lagos precisely living in an igbo dominated environment i can tell you the difference between an Igbo and a Hausa-fulani man dispositions of tribalism.

The hausa-fulani man is more loyal and committed to his religious beliefs than his ethnic/traditional beliefs in contrast to an Igbo man.
The hausa-fulani man does not voice his tribalism, he shows it tactically in action with humility and isolation.
He's not a show off man so he detest arrogance
His words are mostly his bound, so he hates when you renege on your promise, that's why they went against GEJ election. You can recall that they voted enmass for MKO against their own brother Basir Tofa, and also voted for OBJ but when PDP decided to jettison the rotational presidency agreement they sees it as a betrayal and an affront. So Jonathan was just a child of circumstances then as they could have gone against anybody from the south and would have supported anybody from the north be it David Mark a North Central Christian.
I think Ibos are the most predictable tribe in the whole of Nigeria, always showing you their thoughts. While this maybe a godly attribute it is detrimental to human coexistence as they are things you better keep close to your chest than voice out.
There are many cultural differences between the two but i won't want to go there as these few observations can enlighten you if you're ready to digest it with an open mind.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Photos: Lamido Of Adamawa, Dr. Barkindo Aliyu Mustapha Loses His Mother / Money Launderers Are In Trouble Says Buhari: Crazy Penalties / Power Crisis ; See The Little Gadget That Rescued Me Last Night. PICTURES.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.