Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship (28299 Views)

Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by younginfopreneur: 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2015
cool
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by lovelyjay: 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ok o
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by goshen26: 1:40pm On Dec 09, 2015
Trust IBO with mind......

Anyway check my signature and make money by clicking
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by sorom4: 1:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
We Rock

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Rexceedo: 1:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
pg

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
if u 're waiting for pro Igbo article to hit front page in nairaland u 're on a looooooooooooog tin...

nam saying

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by great664(m): 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
Lolz....nice but cannot make frontpage...try harder!!!
kill yourself, it's now FP

4 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Rexceedo: 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2015
redcap:
I'm a proud product of this scheme, almost done with my OND program atm. cool cool
In 2 years interval... God will make mine possible. Am going for B.sc in MBBS
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by mazzi: 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
What I wanted to do in life but my parents insisted I must complete my education.
If my parents had allowed me venture into biz earlier when my blood was as hot as coal I would be controllin billions now and I can still go back to school to acquire 'white man' education
Now after graduating from the university am still back to business.I go still make the billions sha cos it's in me(as a core igbo boy).

13 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by warrior01: 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
There was a time I went to Nkwo Nnewi and saw an evening school for these boys and was really moved. They were having the best of both worlds. No wonder the Igbos are very good at commerce and industry. Kudos my people

8 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by doveda: 1:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
Another BS! The love of business that has taken several Yorubas to Togo, Mali, Ghana before yhe whitemen arrived is now a new thing for some people. Mind you, we abandoned it for education so what is so special about being into it the 21st centurysad. It was a phase we passed through, we might as well venture into it agian when we tire of other thingssad.

I tire of the way you make everything tribal. Why don't you go to Oshodi and ask how much these Iyalojas deposit every day. Note though, their money (principal and profits are not from illegal proceeds)sad. I can categorically say that it started from the western part of Nigeria. In Yorubaland, If a child is not in school, he/she is expected to be under apprenticeship.

Well, if that were true about his future millions why is everyone in Ignoland not richsad.

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by great664(m): 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ralphlauren:
What about those that hit shortchanged by their "masters"?

It's a well known fact that many "masters" will wait until the 5th or 6th year of an agreed say for example 7 years "apprenticeship" and then come up with a frivolous allegation against the "servant" and hence refuse to set them up or settle them financially and then leaving them with nothing.

It's very RAMPANT with the ibos. This is they key reason why many of their boys and girls are no longer interested in the "scheme".

How can one spend 7 years with no formal education as a "houseboy", "shop attendant", "sales boy" or whatever duties the "master" comes up with and then get chased any with nothing to show for it - no shop, no money and no goods !
naturally they don't Carr much about the settlement but the experience and that's what make them survive

I understand what you mean but experience superseded everything. In every 12 Judas suppose dey na

7 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Rexceedo: 1:53pm On Dec 09, 2015
patrick89:
my brother the thing is such a very wonderful and emotional story,
my uncle from maternal side, told me after the war, he went to onitsha with nothing, he only followed a very popular rich man in our village when he was still 12, the man then was into Beans and rice, the market was dominated by hausas then, later, igbos took over the market, my uncle then went to lagos at the age of 18 started small business around apapa port, where he sells on ordinary table along the street, he then, made, more money and started selling plumbing material, he brought forth many young boys from our village, about 4 of them,one of the those boys is now now a house hold name, he trains my uncle's children in school at all levels, my uncle is doing virtually nothing now, but the things those boys he trained bring to him make him appear like a king, .
They bought cars for him and his wife, his new home in lagos and village, they bring cows to him almost every year..
it's such a wonderful thing, though the thing is becoming very unpopular as everyone wants to go to school, it will be difficult to get someone that will be interested in that booyi again..
am still in the guild. Ur last sentence is contemporary sad part of it.
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Masterclass32: 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2015
That na the way we roll. cool
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
Sai IGBO
The poster above me, needs CEREBROPLASTY/ SENSOPLASTY
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by mathias32(m): 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2015
patrick89:
The people that are saying igbos hate themselves, should come and read!
cc lalasticlala come and movee this to frontpage! not only bad things should make frontpage..
modern slavery can't u just help without string attached?
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
ChappyChase:
Funny enough this culture is going into extinction because every body wan go University!!

Lie, Education is very very important, IGBOs know this... Even getting a PHD an Igbo man will go into entrepreneurship if that has always be his desire or ambition

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2015
patrick89:

https://www.today.ng/opinion/48881/igbo-and-culture-of-apprenticeship

kaycid77....

SEUN lalasticlala.... somebody evil want to destroy this thread.
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
doveda:
Another BS! The love of business that has taken several Yorubas to Togo, Mali, Ghana before yhe whitemen arrived is now a new thing for some people. Mind you, we abandoned it for education so what is so special about being into it the 21st centurysad. It was a phase we passed through, we might as well venture into it agian when we tire of other thingssad.

I tire of the way you make everything tribal. Why don't you go to Oshodi and ask how much these Iyalojas deposit every day. Note though, their money (principal and profits are not from illegal proceeds)sad. I can categorically say that it started from the western part of Nigeria. In Yorubaland, If a child is not in school, he/she is expected to be under apprenticeship.

Well, if that were true about his future millions why is everyone in Ignoland not richsad.

see painment. e pain am. Chaiii chaiiii.

24 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by doveda: 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
Nnewiboi:

see painment. e pain am. Chaiii chaiiii.

ha ha

Where are your millions now?
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by chesterlee(m): 2:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
Igbo Amaka!!!!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Ralphlauren(m): 2:26pm On Dec 09, 2015
great664:
naturally they don't Carr much about the settlement but the experience and that's what make them survive

I understand what you mean but experience superseded everything. In every 12 Judas suppose dey na

I don't agree bro.

What's the point in having 5 years or more experience in a capital intensive business such as vehicle spare parts for example without the capital/funding to set it up. That's why some of these boys turn to the "streets" and become hawkers, 419 kingpins, thieves, etc
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by NarnieSnyper(m): 2:33pm On Dec 09, 2015
No shots fired here but the westerns should learn from this if they don't wanna go to school.
They just want to stand in busstops and collect money or wait for a rich 'foreigner' in their land to build a house and they'll come for 'owo ile'

6 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Macelliot(m): 2:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
doveda:

Almost every Igboman is rich.. Don't expect a core Igbo man to start flaunting his wealth like the Yorubas does..

11 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by doveda: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2015
Macelliot:

Almost every Igboman is rich.. Don't expect a core Igbo man to start flaunting his wealth like the Yorubas does..

My belle o grin grin grin

Including the ones living in face me I slap you in Ajegunle

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Afam4eva(m): 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ralphlauren:

I don't agree bro.

What's the point in having 5 years or more experience in a capital intensive business such as vehicle spare parts for example without the capital/funding to set it up. That's why some of these boys turn to the "streets" and become hawkers, 419 kingpins, thieves, etc
I guess you didn't see the part about the apprentice being settled at the end.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by drshrewd: 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
I really admire Igbos on this. this is one of the ways millions can go out of poverty instead of over reliance on papers. good one from my Igbo brothers. just wish my Rivers people will also have a little of this system instead of land, oyel, politic angry

12 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Paschal55(m): 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
Proudly IGBO...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Brief History Of The Ikwerre People Of Rivers State. / Throwback Photo Emir Sanusi Carrying Wife As They Mark 25th Wedding Anniversary / Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.