Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship (28296 Views)

Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by tonychristopher: 8:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
delishpot:

To be wicked to kids put under your care is part of training? To treat them like dogs is part of training?
No wonder Wickedness from people at the top in Nigeria towards those who are under them cannot stop. When being mean to the people who are placed under your care is considered training. And why should a teacher be mean to pupil? It is a shame if we consider meanness as training. Please dont be mean to those put in your care o. It is demonic
Treating people as humans doesnt mean the people are asking for handouts. It just means they are humans and need to be treated with dignity.
You can make rules and be principled and expect your wards or booi booi to follow your laid down rules. But to be mean and unjust towards them is a no no

Whatever guise you look at it

No pain no gain

That's the principle of life

So whatever you think sails your boat so be it

I am an Igbo and we are not having problem with apprenticeship... I don't know why you are having this conversation

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by tonychristopher: 8:56pm On Dec 09, 2015
omonnakoda:
Poverty is conquered and they are having 8 children to give away as apprentice? grin

And they keep running to other people's land and don't stay at home

And Aba is a dirty dust bin?

Because indigenes in other people land are mentally lazy to see business opportunity and also it is called economic colonisation

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by tonychristopher: 8:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
gsport:
When mumu South West is talking trash about this particular people I laugh in French reason is poverty is conquered in igbo land few years after the war,by this art of apprenticeship and other genius art only know to ibo.but outside lagos this South West is still much in poverty that was conquered in 80s in ibo land,who get time for north know for nothing.,

I don't get it ..they keep crying more than the bereaved

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by delishpot: 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Whatever guise you look at it

No pain no gain

That's the principle of life

So whatever you think sails your boat so be it

I am an Igbo and we are not having problem with apprenticeship... I don't know why you are having this conversation

Because you said maltreating booi booi is part of training. They are already under you. They wake up and work for you from dusk to dawn. If that isnt pain enough I wonder what is. Why be mean to them ontop of it? I have seen cases where the poor kids are locked out, starved, beaten and yelled at. Why all that wickedness. That poster that I quoted, his parents are reaping the reward of their kindness, did their apprentice not gain without the extra pain?
Abegi dont give wickedness a sweet name.
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by omonnakoda: 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Because indigenes in other people land are mentally lazy to see business opportunity and also it is called economic colonisation
Of course
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by tonychristopher: 9:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
delishpot:

Because you said maltreating booi booi is part of training. They are already under you. They wake up and work for you from dusk to dawn. If that isnt pain enough I wonder what is. Why be mean to them ontop of it? I have seen cases where the poor kids are locked out, starved, beaten and yelled at. Why all that wickedness. That poster that I quoted, his parents are reaping the reward of their kindness, did their apprentice not gain without the extra pain?

I know you are a Yoruba and pride ...to you it is maltreatment but to them it is training

No pain no gain

Their eyes is on the target

In life for you to get anything ...first humble yourself. Then you can learn

Beside that we Igbo are not complaining ...so why do that

Why don't you fashion out your own model sir

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by patrick89(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2015
delishpot:

look brownie you can not maltreat your booyi! It's not the same as Omo sè from your area!! What we have is different, the servants is no longer seen as a stranger he becomes the integral part of the house!!! Mistreating your boi is seen as abig stigma!! You will not understand, you can not as a master use your booyi's parents or family background to insult him!! Never, else you are attracting the umunna sanction, or village gossiping against you!

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by omonnakoda: 9:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
Cut the bullshit please. We are all living witnesses to Rebecca stories
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by delishpot: 10:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
patrick89:
look brownie you can not maltreat your booyi! It's not the same as Omo sè from your area!! What we have is different, the servants is no longer seen as a stranger he becomes the integral part of the house!!! Mistreating your boi is seen as abig stigma!! You will not understand, you can not as a master use your booyi's parents or family background to insult him!! Never, else you are attracting the umunna sanction, or village gossiping against you!

See who dem dey praise turn around abuse person wey dey sing his praise grin grin grin
As I praise your papa and mama finish talk say dem kind to their booyi that is why they are showing appreciation constantly, naim you kukuma turn around call me brownie hahahhahaha, chei I don see wonder finish grin

Ok oga, swear that no igbo oga has ever maltreated his booyi at all.
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by adconline(m): 10:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
omonnakoda:
Poverty is conquered and they are having 8 children to give away as apprentice? grin

And they keep running to other people's land and don't stay at home

And Aba is a dirty dust bin?
Show us data to support ur claim that Igbos are wallowing in poverty. Show us data childhood poverty is more prevalent in the east than other region. Keep claiming ur land in a city/state where you have no C of O that bears name. Arrogant display of sophisticated idiocy!!

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Allwility: 10:54pm On Dec 09, 2015
amazingspiderma:

Patrick please I only asked you for facts.If you don't have,be noble enough to admit it.
No need to deflect the question.

Here is facts for you.
There is no single manufacturing company in Owerri and Ebonyi.In Enugu only AMA Eke.In Abia only Golden guniea brewery and a few local companies in Aba like JC Udeagbala and some soap making companies,that is if it still exist.Aba also has cloth,bags and shoe manufacturing.In Onitsha IBB,Ibeto,Innosson are the main industries as at 2010.
Where are they on the national leaugue of companies.I once visited a client from the East,he had a plant that manufactures Soya milk in South Korea.He sends the finished product back home to sell in Nigeria.
The Igbos should be the first region to benefit from any industrial indigienization policies in Nigeria.But if there is no structure,there is no way it can fulfil that goal.
My point is the Igbo business model is still the 70's model.Like I said,this apprenticeship model is restricted to kith and kin.There is so much more beyound the walls of ethinicity.If you doubt,take a look at Dangote.
It is not an insult,it is a fact.
Let's learnt to face facts.

UPDATE: That your client that imports soy milk from South Korea has set up a noodles plant in Aba. Indomie has lost its foothold in Aba because of him. As I speak more plants are on the way. The Igbos aren't there yet but will get there soon.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by patrick89(m): 11:32pm On Dec 09, 2015
Allwility:

UPDATE: That your client that imports soy milk from South Korea has set up a noodles plant in Aba. Indomie has lost its foothold in Aba because of him. As I speak more plants are on the way. The Igbos aren't there yet but will get there soon.
what's the name
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by swizken89: 12:48am On Dec 10, 2015
Check my signature
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by comodo: 12:53am On Dec 10, 2015
Ralphlauren:
What about those that hit shortchanged by their "masters"?

It's a well known fact that many "masters" will wait until the 5th or 6th year of an agreed say for example 7 years "apprenticeship" and then come up with a frivolous allegation against the "servant" and hence refuse to set them up or settle them financially and then leaving them with nothing.

It's very RAMPANT with the ibos. This is they key reason why many of their boys and girls are no longer interested in the "scheme".

How can one spend 7 years with no formal education as a "houseboy", "shop attendant", "sales boy" or whatever duties the "master" comes up with and then get chased any with nothing to show for it - no shop, no money and no goods !
Bros true talk. shit like that happens. but true I don't know if its karma. Those dudes most times end up dead or bankrupt mysteriously.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by philfrey08: 3:16am On Dec 10, 2015
Ralphlauren:
What about those that hit shortchanged by their "masters"?

It's a well known fact that many "masters" will wait until the 5th or 6th year of an agreed say for example 7 years "apprenticeship" and then come up with a frivolous allegation against the "servant" and hence refuse to set them up or settle them financially and then leaving them with nothing.

It's very RAMPANT with the ibos. This is they key reason why many of their boys and girls are no longer interested in the "scheme".

How can one spend 7 years with no formal education as a "houseboy", "shop attendant", "sales boy" or whatever duties the "master" comes up with and then get chased any with nothing to show for it - no shop, no money and no goods !
Yoruba! U sha looking for sth to say
But a Yoruba apprentice would pay for his 3-4yrs training, MUST celebrate his freedom and then buy gifts for his oga at the end of the day after 5yrs he hasn't even enough money to build his shop or stand well

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by chekasforchekas: 8:13am On Dec 10, 2015
Brother you will be blessed, my father used me as a money bag at the age of 8 to 10 if am not mistaking, Na me the carry the money whenever we are making any order before draft was introduced, At 15 to 17 I have 3 trucks giving to me by my father to manage, I swear I dey university at 19 21 but I spend more time managing my trucks than I spend in skull, at 24 to 26 I traveled to Asia to bring in goods from the savings I made remember I was paying my father but still saved anough to travel to Asia, I will never leave business never.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:17am On Dec 10, 2015
patrick89:

This is why I will always refer to what chimamanda adichie's "single story". it is very important to tell your stories before people manufacturer what they like, we igbos have a lot of conquered people among us! imagine if every igbo man reasons and behaves like Joe igbokwe? we would have been a pawn! Joe igbokwe and other igbos of his like are conquered people that can never stand firm against their master!!
We have a very unique system that can be modernised to a better way, but you will see people writing rubbish about it.. We igbos do not hate ourselves as wrongly accused by some quaters

Joe igbokwe! I pity his children.
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by onyeomanono24(f): 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2015
Proudly Ibo, I like this scheme, it promotes long time relationship and assist people from poor family to get rich quicker but the only thing that annoys me on the program is that most times some wicked 'OGA' will come up with allegation upon the 'Booyi' towards the end of the apprenticeship either they say he stole, slept with wife, has been sending looted money to his family back home.. etc and they will hold on to the allegation and will not settle the Boy. This is wickedness.

Anyway,
Long Live Ibos,
Long live hard working tribe,
Long live Oga and Boy.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by janefrancisca(f): 1:59pm On Dec 10, 2015
doveda:

My belle o grin grin grin

Including the ones living in face me I slap you in Ajegunle
No even go there, una people like to live for face me i slap you pass amala sef tongue
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by doveda: 2:04pm On Dec 10, 2015
janefrancisca:
No even go there, una people like to live for face me i slap you pass amala sef tongue

You no get am in Aba

Bunch of clownsundecided
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Spydamannn(m): 3:19pm On Dec 10, 2015
bastien:
Click like if u know say u no read am but u just feel like to comment due to boredom grin
mumu
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by bastien: 3:28pm On Dec 10, 2015
Spydamannn:
mumu
ur dad
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by sabi99(m): 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2015
Ezemust:
that's why fayose send some ekiti youth to the east to learn that culture
lols
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by janefrancisca(f): 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2015
doveda:

You no get am in Aba

Bunch of clownsundecided
You no get am for Lagos
Bunch of wags
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by doveda: 11:21pm On Dec 10, 2015
janefrancisca:
You no get am for Lagos
Bunch of wags

That is to say we get am for Nigeriagrin

You are not going anywhere till we are reay to release you from this zoooooooo!cheesy

Jokers!!!!
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by janefrancisca(f): 11:40pm On Dec 10, 2015
doveda:

That is to say we get am for Nigeriagrin

You are not going anywhere till we are reay to release you from this zoooooooo!cheesy

Jokers!!!!
Thank God you know say na zoo u dey grin grin
Re: The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship by Proudnigga(m): 5:23am On Dec 11, 2015
patrick89:
The people that are saying igbos hate themselves, should come and read!
cc lalasticlala come and movee this to frontpage! not only bad things should make frontpage..
don't mind them. They are paid just like apc zombies. Hating igbos = patriotic Nigerian

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abdulfatai Coker: Yoruba Monarchs In North Not Accorded Respect / A Brief History Of The Ikwerre People Of Rivers State. / Throwback Photo Emir Sanusi Carrying Wife As They Mark 25th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.