Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 (20537 Views)

Lili Gabari Dies At 86 / PPPRA Fuel To Sell At 86.50 from January1,2016 / Fuel Sold 86 Naira Per Litre In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by coolhamid(m): 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
Rest In Peace Prof
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by sonnie10: 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
I don't know him but my brother that went to medical school at Unical in the 90s always talk about Eskoy Toyo. I heard he rejected so many political office offers by different Nigeria administrations due to his views.

RIP.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Krayzeejhay(m): 8:10pm On Dec 09, 2015
Uh-oh!.. RIP sir!,even tho I never knew him..... Weird right?? Not ma fault tho,these terrorist wud'nt allow some other news to be shown... BOMBING BOMBING and more BOMBING
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

What about Dr. Nyong? Mr. Graham the Ghanian Man with his bribe thirsty hands, has he Gone back to Accra grin

Yes he has
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
RIP to an intelligent man
God will keep your soul rightful! Amen
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Yes oh...... Obafemi is now an Associate Prof. Really like the woman. You didn't include Essia the runs guy

Uwem Essia . . . Baddest nigga

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:

No be small!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:

You know him wella. He is now a prof
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by momonny: 8:19pm On Dec 09, 2015
DrWise:
TEACHER, LABOUR ACTIVIST, REVOLUTIONARY & MARXIST SCHOLAR, PROF ESKOR TOYO IS DEAD.

Professor Eskor Toyo, the fierce revolutionary, Marxist scholar, polemicist and labour activist passed on yesterday, Monday, December 7, 2015. He was aged 86.

Born in Oron on the Cross River estuary in 1929, Eskor Toyo had his early education in Oron, Lagos and Calabar.

He passed the Cambridge School Certificate in 1945 in Grade one and was exempted from London University matriculation. He also passed the Higher School Certificate (Cambridge). He received a Diploma in Public Administration and B.Sc. in Economics from the University of London. He later obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning, M.Sc. in Economics and Ph.D. in Economics in Poland. Professor Toyo’s educational career was marked with distinction. He was the first to earn a First Class in Postgraduate Diploma in National Economic Planning. He obtained his M.Sc. degree with distinction and his Ph.D. Cum Laude (with praise).

His doctoral thesis entitled “Macroeconomic Analysis in Marx and Keynes” was published in 1977 by the Polish Scientific publishers on the recommendations of the Universities in Poland. It was republished in Russian. Eskor Toyo had varied experiences in public and private sectors. For brief periods he held the positions of Planning Manager and Labour and Staff Manager in Lever Brothers (Nigeria), and Manager, Supply and Distribution for Esso West Africa. He has taught courses in sociology, economics, political science and history of ideas in Europe and Nigeria.

He also headed the Department of Economics in the University of Maiduguri and Calabar at different times. Eskor Toyo wrote copiously on economics and society in learned journals, books and other periodicals. He presented papers in large number of conferences in many countries and delivered many distinguished lectures. He was Vice President of the Nigerian Economic Society (NES), consultant on economic issues to the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Government of Ghana. He was for nearly two decades, a National Trustee of the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU).

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/194858-prof-eskor-toyo-dies-at-86.html

Seun and Lalasticlala, Prof. Eskor Toyo cannot pass on and wont make front page.
i met him at the tail end of his career though never taught by him, he usually send graduate assistance to my class. His exams are usually simple but difficult to pass bt everybody ends up passing his course 'AN INTELECTUAL GOD'

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

You know him wella. He is now a prof

A prof. in Unical? Unbelievable!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Drversatile: 8:24pm On Dec 09, 2015
Rip to him
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by iniobong888(m): 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2015
Wow, I stay in Unical quarters so I was opportune to have meet prof,even though I finish from accounting. He was sure a humble and considerate man. RIP prof.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by academicjosh(m): 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2015
As a Great Malabite and an Econocrat(99'/2000), I cannot but lament the loss of a great mind in the person of Professor Toyo even though I was never directly under his tutelage. Also, the deaths of Dr Bassey and Professor Ndebbio has robbed us of mentors. On a lighter note, it's a pleasure to see that there are Malabites (and Malabresses) here on nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by momonny: 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Sure.... Did you finish from Unical? Heard that Ndebbio and Bassey too are dead. Prof Ndebbio was buried last week.
are u sure? Prof Ndebbio dead, may his soul rest in peace. Master of subjective questions. What about the Ghania lect. Is he still there or dead too'
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2015
momonny:
are u sure? Prof Ndebbio dead, may his soul rest in peace. Master of subjective questions. What about the Ghania lect. Is he still there or dead too'

You mean Graham? He has gone back to Ghana
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by kahal29: 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
academicjosh:
As a Great Malabite and an Econocrat(99'/2000), I cannot but lament the loss of a great mind in the person of Professor Toyo even though I was never directly under his tutelage. Also, the deaths of Dr Bassey and Professor Ndebbio has robbed us of mentors. On a lighter note, it's a pleasure to see that there are Malabites (and Malabresses) here on nairaland.

I dey tell you....
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by STARGREEN(m): 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
RIP Professor Toyo. Econometrics? at 1st it wasn't funny till we got no other option! Your legacies speaks volumes. When comes such another?
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by momonny: 8:43pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

What about Dr. Nyong? Mr. Graham the Ghanian Man with his bribe thirsty hands, has he Gone back to Accra grin
accomplice how much did u give to Graham 3k? Slanderer
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by tianshie(m): 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
Greatest Malabites.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by saintopus(m): 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
kahal29:

Op add this as your source:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/194858-prof-eskor-toyo-dies-at-86.html

That was my lecturer back in the days in the Dept of Econs Unical.

Ex malabite! I hail o!

Me I be ex malabite too!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by id911(m): 8:53pm On Dec 09, 2015
When I was a little boy roaming the street of Oron, I always hear people say so much good things about him esp his ingenuity though never met him. I guess he was a good man. May his soul rest in peace

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by ypzilanti: 8:54pm On Dec 09, 2015
I have to come out of retirement to comment here oh! The great Prof? Dead? I did not sit for his lectures cause he was retired then, but was present at a speech he gave at NAT once. Rousing speech about how we the young should not sit and watch the country descend into chaos and corruption. Funny hearing the comments about Graham and Essia. Great Malabites!!!
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
ypzilanti:
I have to come out of retirement to comment here oh! The great Prof? Dead? I did not sit for his lectures cause he was retired then, but was present at a speech he gave at NAT once. Rousing speech about how we the young should not sit and watch the country descend into chaos and corruption. Funny hearing the comments about Graham and Essia. Great Malabites!!!

In year 2000 or thereabout, he gave a lecture on GLOBALIZATION in NAT. That guy was an enigma of sort.
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 09, 2015
What !
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
Though have not met u in person but u made ur mark on earth.that's the highest legacy a man can leave.dad told me about u and how the guy encourages them as students to revolt against the state.its not about the wealth u left,the kids u left behind rather is about the legacy

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by academicjosh(m): 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
tianshie:
Greatest Malabites.
GREAT. Repping class of 1999/2000

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Bolade005: 9:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
Teacher extraordinairè. He led a pyratical life. RIP Prof.
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by donem: 9:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Throughout my University days, he drove only his old Volkwagen car (beetle), no house of his own, even though he had retired then.
So you knew him? I lived in same Street with him in Ewa Ekeng calamari south, truth be told over reading made him almost mental.

I do recall passing through his house around 11:30 pm, and seeing him seated on the balcony of his one story building reading with Lantern.

He thought my dad and thought me also, he once said during a lecture and I quote, "that the value of naira is gbomopolizing" up till today am yet to see a definition of that word.

R. I. P Distinguished Emeritus prof. Eskor Toyo, your legacies would forever remain evergreen.

4 Likes

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
tianshie:
Greatest Malabites.

Reasonable Action!

1 Like

Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by Mbediogu(m): 9:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Throughout my University days, he drove only his old Volkwagen car (beetle), no house of his own, even though he had retired then.

I dont want to be like him, educated and poor.
He may not inspire young ones.
Poverty is not a blessing and is not unrelated
to laziness and short sightedness.
I wish him RIP.
Re: Prof. Eskor Toyo Dies At 86 by OOLUSOGA(m): 9:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
rest in peace

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Probe Looters In APC, Nigerians Tell Buhari / Entwistle Rubbishes Telegraph Report On Buhari (photos) / Ambode Meets The CEO Of Yamaha Motors In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.