Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Bane Of Customer Service In Nigeria: My Experience With Mtn - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bane Of Customer Service In Nigeria: My Experience With Mtn (870 Views)

Disclosure Of Customer BVN Subject To Court Order, CBN Tells Banks / My Experience With A Corporate Begger / My Experience In Egg Distribution Investment. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bane Of Customer Service In Nigeria: My Experience With Mtn by freeradical(m): 1:12pm On Dec 11, 2015
About 2 weeks ago, I got a text msg from MTN informing me of the need to visit any of their customer service centers and register my sim. I was both perplexed and angryat the same time because this was going to be the 3rd time I will have to go to their office for the same sim registration exercise. The last one I did was not even up to six months ago. Even for a person with a proven record of patience, I am pretty sure that having to go through MTN's sim registration exercise for a 3rd time is enough to stretch the limits of his patience beyond it's break point. Driving past their office on my way to and from work everyday and watching how people haplessly queue up under extreme weather conditions in this harsh harmattan season just in a bid to save their "precious" MTN lines from termination I writ inside with pain, disgust and anger at how low a multi-national such as MTN has placed it's money-makers such that every power or dignity which customers should have is being stripped away from them because me and my fellow countrymen have chosen to be treated that way.
This morning after completing 14hours of night shift on my way home I decided to make a quick stop at the MTN center (Somewhere in the southern part of Kaduna city), since the insufferable queue has abated and there was even space to park in front. I entered and was ushered to sit in a short queue to await my turn with the customer service rep. When it got to my turn I explained to the rep my predicament of doing two previous sim registrations with the penultimate one done in this same center I'm lodging the complaint. I noticed that he was more concerned with searching for my details on the system than listening to what I even had to say. In the end he scribbled down on a small piece of paper my number and the word "fresh" and asked me to head on to the other side of the building and join a queue where someone will attend to me. Then he shouted, next person! I was like is that all....He continued, just move over to the other side someone will attend to you. I stood up still confused and walked to the where I was directed and saw all the people who had gone before me seated in line on a fresh queue. It dawned on me that this was going to take longer than I expected. I went back to the CS rep and asked him how long it will take for me to complete the process and he said ....please go over to the other queue someone will attend to you. I fumed with anger inside me because it seems MTN have started employing robots to attend to human customers. I told myself I wasn't cut out for this and stormed out of the place into my car. As I was about to drive out I had another thought.......perhaps I should give these guys a piece of my mind before I leave. I went back inside and told the CS rep that I felt its un-professional the way he handled my case. Why in the world will he fail to give me an explanation as to what happened to the previous 2 sim registrations I did. Even if he would not render a reasonable explanation for my inquiry courtesy demand that he feels my pulse and beckon on my soft side by atleast offering some form of apology or showing concern. As I was still talking another CS rep lady spoke up in defence of her colleague but I wouldn't let her speak further as I pointed out that the folly in their actions without mincing words.
The AI humanoid rep I was even talking to still buried his head in his computer screen without making any eye contact with me "the angry customer" or bothered to offer any form of apology on behalf of the company. Well, what more can I do but walk out for the last time and telling myself this time I turn my back for good.

The only reasonable explanation for the poor customer satisfaction most MTN subscribers have is the subscribers themselves. I do not blame MTN one bit.....I blame each and every MTN subscriber out there that will quickly rush to stand under the rain or sun just because MTN sends you a text to come do an exercise you have probably done before in the past without any explanation. These guys cannot even try a minute fraction of the bullcrap they give to Nigerians in their home country. Does it means we Nigerians are so intellectually inept that we take anything that is thrown our way? The only time we speak out is when we want to fight ourselves(ethnic,tribal and religious warfare)....that's when you see the strength of a typical Nigerian. We cannot unite and hold our leaders accountable for their actions. Same way we cannot as consumers unite and tell whoever provides the service we pay for that we demand quality and fair treatment (as civilized individuals). When consumers of a commodity forget the power they wield they sell themselves cheap to the manufacturer and play into their hands. Will I beg MTN not to terminate my line....NEVER!!. Who will lose?....definitely not me because I pay good money to buy recharge cards and buy data. If they do not care about my little drop to their revenue then we would see who will have the last laugh when other customers start latching on to my line of thought due to bad service and eventually jump ship. Also the fear of losing my old contacts is unfounded as the world right now is has a cesspool on peoples profile so you can search and get the contact of anyone one the various social media platform if you know how to look. Also any official feedback that I may be expecting is not at risk because they have my e-mail and contact address(even next of kin info). So if I want to damn MTN they will lose 100% and me 0%. Enough is enough....Nigerians,please have some dignity for yourselves. That 100naira recharge card you load every other day may seem small to you but in the grand scheme of things it goes into a pool that in the end pays the salary of that insolent MTN CS representative that will deny you any explanation as to why your line was dis-engaged due to one shabby exercise you had toiled to do before. That your 4naira they deduct when you send text message gives you the power to say No....stop this or I will go!. You don't have to become a savage and burn down their office or act violently like some of my countrymen did in Owerri to teach these guys that you have the power. The best way to show MTN we are not fools is for us to start dignifying ourselves. If I do not get a good explanation as to why the previous sim regs I did was nullified or what was done with the bio-data I had entrusted to them twice then they can go to hell with their sulky sim card because I don't need it. They have my contact info if they value my money they should look for me. I wont cower before them and in the end still give them my hard earned money.

Sorry guys for my harsh tone of words.....its the way these guys have made me feel this morning. Feliz Navidad great Nairalanders

Cc lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Bane Of Customer Service In Nigeria: My Experience With Mtn by PLANETMARS(m): 4:13pm On Dec 11, 2015
I was d rep who attended to u. Shebi u don't know it was u who made ncc fine us trillions? Now we have to resort to sending spam messages to subscribers to generate money to pay d fine
Re: Bane Of Customer Service In Nigeria: My Experience With Mtn by freeradical(m): 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
PLANETMARS:
I was d rep who attended to u. Shebi u don't know it was u who made ncc fine us trillions? Now we have to resort to sending spam messages to subscribers to generate money to pay d fine
They were fined because of their lack of respect for Nigeria and her authorities. They shouldn't blame anybody but themselves for that. grin

(1) (Reply)

7 Mental Shifts That Allowed Me To Become A Millionaire At 22-marvejohndaily.com / The Economy That Matters Most Is Your Own Economy. / How To Get A Good Second Hand(tricycle) Keke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.