Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Taking A Break In A Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Taking A Break In A Relationship (3664 Views)

A Break In Sex..why? / Guys Will You Take Back Your Gift After A Break-up / When You're On A Break Is It Ok To Sleep With Someone Else? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 9:46pm On Jun 03, 2009
well of what use if taking a break in a relationship
@tymes i hear its meant 4 both parties rethink what they
have been tru wit each other and other tymes ive heard that
its for the gulity cheating party to have all the tyme 2 themselves
but really of what use is taking a break in a relationship,
and @tymes is it advisable and for how long should it last
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 4:30am On Jun 04, 2009
undecided
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by biola44: 9:02am On Jun 04, 2009
thinking, grin
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by patwhizkid(f): 9:05am On Jun 04, 2009
Huh? Mid-term/mid-sessional break?
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by whitelexi(m): 9:10am On Jun 04, 2009
Girlfriend recently told me she wants us to take a 2 week break to analyze what we truly want from our relationship, my interpretation to that is that it is another form of drama, so how do i resolve the issue? I decide to give her a permanent break. Now, someone else has the opportunity to request a 2 week break.

Girls need to understand their men, i'm a very busy person and i really dont need any more drama in my life, so i'll be ready to be that perfect guy, but the moment i notice some undue drama unfolding i find my way. I really dont see the need for any breaks in a relationship.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by erico2k2(m): 11:29am On Jun 04, 2009
GUy I tire, which one be break, its either you are in or out abi
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by luxoire(f): 11:37am On Jun 04, 2009
depends how you guys define a break - for couples that are used to spending 24/7 together and are always together - one can start feeling 'confused' or that they are being 'taken for granted' or may be that they are not being 'fulfilled' so in this case a break may be 2/3weeks or how ever much time you choose apart - talking on the phone but not seeing each other - putting that little distance there!

for others a break is we 'split up' for 2 weeks no contact - go our separate ways - try the outside world see if there is nothing better out there for either of us and if we dont see anything out there we come back together - if we see it - we stay on a permanent break - lol

if a couple is discussing a break - consider your circumstances, define the boundaries of the break and what it is you both want to do and want out of it - seek alternative means of resolving the issues that dog you - without separating - because dat one opens d way for tempatation alot of ppl are not ready to handle
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by IFELEKE(m): 11:41am On Jun 04, 2009
whitelexi:

I really dont see the need for any breaks in a relationship.
Exactly.
Personally I believe all issues pertaining to a relationship should be ironed out between the parties involved without a temporary break in transmission(using that term).
For me, The only break I take is a Permanent One after all other options fail.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by erico2k2(m): 11:52am On Jun 04, 2009
luxoire, have you taken a break b4,? lol I think this break thing is for them to cheat lol or they have cheated and kind breaking to think of the next step, but in the 9ja context, break dont exist mainwhile are married couples allowed to ava break? cool cool lol
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by luxoire(f): 11:56am On Jun 04, 2009
erico - lol cheesy - we have given each other some 'space' - because we spend every waking minute we are not at work together - and sometimes you need space to do your own thing - to be yourself

some married couples do it - they arrange to go visit a family member for some time one yr or once every 2yrs - either alone or with the kids - giving the other person and each other some time and space.

but NO i have never done a BREAK before as i see that one as excuse for philandering
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by erico2k2(m): 12:16pm On Jun 04, 2009
lol U get luck, you just caped the trap, breaking is xcuse to play away match lol cheesy cheesy
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 3:39pm On Jun 04, 2009
my friend recently had a quarel wit his gurl and she demanded a break 2 tink tins over
the funny tin is this guy wud be goin out of d country latest august
do u feel its necessary!
i tried talkin tins ova wit her but shes refusin 2 understand but i have a feelin shes
gonna com bak beggin b4 he travels and he's prepared 2 ditch her should she com weeks before he travels,they have been 2 years old so far and they had a smal daily misunderstandin dat led to an unfoldin drama!
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by Oxone(m): 3:46pm On Jun 04, 2009
which one come be break now undecided undecided undecided undecided

if there's break, i'll walk

*no be only break na vacation*
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by sistawoman: 3:49pm On Jun 04, 2009
Sometimes it is necessary to ask for space in a r/s when you start to loose your inner voice.

Sometimes a person just needs me time and thier partner should understand such reasonable requests.  I would not call it a break just space.

This mostly happens to women because we tend to give it all and sometimes loose ourselves in the process.  An understanding man would sit down with his woman and ask what kind of break/space do you need and negotiate the terms of the break/space so that both parties are happy and feel comfortable.

If your girl is not willing to negotiate the terms then you should re-evaluate your r/s.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by Hollysmile: 7:26pm On Jun 04, 2009
Sistawoman, dat's great. I see no reason for any form of break. I mean, what is break?
I rather cal it space.
I don't fancy dat idea!
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 04, 2009
I think breaks are healthy because it helps define a dud relationship. I believe when a woman is asking for a break she's assessing if it necessary to continue with the relationship and there's always a trigger. She's either bored with monotony, or angry with him or she's just not feeling the guy. If the guy in question feels it's a drama spell coming on then it's definitely monotony and they're both better off without each other. But if he's desperate to have her stay rather than address the issue then he's a cling-on who needs to be peeled of for her sanity. Catch22, if you're both into each other and the term 'break' starts floating around, sitting down and addressing the issue 50-50 instead of second guessing each other will make the miserable party happier and the other party wont miss out either.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by trimandtrendy(f): 7:51pm On Jun 04, 2009
Most times i think the person asking for the break wants out. My opinion sha
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 11:09pm On Jun 04, 2009
abi o!
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by platinumnk(f): 11:45pm On Jun 04, 2009
what if u really care about someone and u don't wanna breakup, but u need space, how do u explain that without it leading to break up?
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by platinumnk(f): 12:07am On Jun 05, 2009
sisterwoman I need ur response !!
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 12:23am On Jun 05, 2009
na sista woman u de wait 4

damn!

my thread dey sell like hot cake ooh!

well i dnt tink space is nidded
in a relationship!
its uncalled 4
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by biina: 1:09am On Jun 05, 2009
She is free to want a break from me, as I am also free to break up with her.
You shouldn't point a gun unless you mean to shoot.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by C2H5OH(f): 1:13am On Jun 05, 2009
That's right nigga. . . make that a break up.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by C2H5OH(f): 1:15am On Jun 05, 2009
and don't wait around on her either. see others and go on dates.
by the time she makes up her mind that she wants to come back to you, you would be having a good time with another chick that actually wants you grin. cheers wink
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by erico2k2(m): 8:10am On Jun 05, 2009
ezinne1212:

I think breaks are healthy because it helps define a dud relationship. I believe when a woman is asking for a break she's assessing if it necessary to continue with the relationship and there's always a trigger. She's either bored with monotony, or angry with him or she's just not feeling the guy. If the guy in question feels it's a drama spell coming on then it's definitely monotony and they're both better off without each other. But if he's desperate to have her stay rather than address the issue then he's a cling-on who needs to be peeled of for her sanity. Catch22, if you're both into each other and the term 'break' starts floating around, sitting down and addressing the issue 50-50 instead of second guessing each other will make the miserable party happier and the other party wont miss out either.
true talk for you, but can I ask you something, have you ever taken a break in a relationship, or would you entertain a break in your relationship, let me tell you this break sh*t is popular in the western world where women are more dependent ie can fend for themselves,dont need money from no man, but in 9ja where your babe needs money to do her hair,her nails,top up her fone and more, are you sure she can entertain a break/ plz answer this.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by curioscat: 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2009
@ 190, your situation seems so familiar with mine,hope your name isnt b***a ?
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2009
erico2k2:

true talk for you, but can I ask you something, have you ever taken a break in a relationship, or would you entertain a break in your relationship, let me tell you this break sh*t  is popular in the western world where women are more dependent ie can fend for themselves,dont need money from no man, but in 9ja where your babe needs money to do her  hair,her nails,top up her fone and more, are you sure she can entertain a break/ plz answer this.

Yes, I've taken breaks in 2 relationship and each time i got my head clear i realized i wanted out, cos they were both dead ends. It's funny you think women being independent is for western nations only, i believe a lot of Nigerian girls would disagree with that. In case you didn't know, girls asking guys for cash for credit, clothes and all those basic amenities, when they aren't married, in most cases is just a means to an end. They can fend for  themselves but believe they should get something out of being with the guy ( in most cases it's not her personality that has him chasing her it's her looks so it seems fair) and yes, they can even take breaks from guys who feel they're special for providing those things and find another one who wont make a fuss out of it. So am i sure she can entertain a break, most definitely, everybody is dispensable, the moment you start thinking your special, especially for such flimsy reasons, then you're going to be crushed/played and have only yourself and your ego to blame.
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by 190: 11:53pm On Jun 05, 2009
well the question is
when theres a misunderstanding
do u tink its taking a break wud help
both parties and help the relationship
although the case between my friend and his gurl started rite
on my birthday the 3rd and its indefinate!
but do u feel dat
taking a break after some misunderstandin can help both parties in any significant way or not

i nid answers quickly cos it wud be of gr8 help 2 my friend,pals! wink wink
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by ikamefa(f): 12:00am On Jun 06, 2009
whitelexi:

i really dont need any more drama in  life, so i'll be ready to be that perfect guy, but the moment i notice some undue drama unfolding i find my way. I really dont see the need for any breaks in a relationship.

Gbam! i agree with you for once!

@topic break ke? undecided  all this modern day relationship/s sha!  cheesy
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by yme1(f): 12:12am On Jun 06, 2009
if you wanna take a break
then have it in mind that you are taking a walk out of the relationship undecided
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by sistawoman: 8:59pm On Jun 09, 2009
platinumnk:

sisterwoman I need ur response !!
platinumnk:

what if u really care about someone and u don't wanna breakup, but u need space, how do u explain that without it leading to break up?

How long have yall been dating?

How does he handle news that is not pleasant?

Do you have an honesty promise to each other? For instance my hubby and I have a promise that no matter what it is honesty is the ONLY policy. No matter how this will make the other person feel we must always be honest (unless we are playing around of course) as part of this promise we also agreed that if the other person is upset with the response they be allow an unallotted time frame to absorb the information and respond in a constructive way.

What is his age?
Re: Taking A Break In A Relationship by platinumnk(f): 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2009
sistawoman:

How long have yall been dating?

How does he handle news that is not pleasant?

Do you have an honesty promise to each other? For instance my hubby and I have a promise that no matter what it is honesty is the ONLY policy. No matter how this will make the other person feel we must always be honest (unless we are playing around of course) as part of this promise we also agreed that if the other person is upset with the response they be allow an unallotted time frame to absorb the information and respond in a constructive way.

What is his age?

We're in a LDR
hes's 28, and yes we do have an honesty policy, its hard but i get through it.

its just that I've been so busy, and he at times gets on my last nerves.

I love him to death, and i know relationships arent supposed to be rosy but I need my space now.

I dont wanna lose him doing this, but I dont wanna lose him by anything else either, not by cheating or whatsoever, but by venting my frustrations out on him and that the face that he is not here with me.

So how do i go about it, I feel like im drifting away every sec,

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Caught My Husband Sléeping With My Best Friend / Ladies, Light Skinned Or Dark Skinned Guys? Which Do U Prefer? / Guys Beware!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.