Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,805 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi (85232 Views)

Herdsmen: Full Text Of Buhari's Order to Bring Them To Justice / N13 Billion Fraud: Court Orders Immediate Arrest Of Niger Delta Militant Tompolo / CBN Boss, Emefiele May Resign Over Buhari’s Order To Change Colour Of naira note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Proudnigga(m): 9:45am On Dec 13, 2015
bettercreature:
It's wrong for PMB to order GEJ arrest,Let the law enforcement do their work,soon as they have enough evidence to prosecute GEJ,they will arrest him,we are just in hurry,it will surely get to him in the next few days

EFCC MUST ASK GEJ why he ordered DASUKI to pay DOKPESI
simple. Since all transaction orders are frm him what's holding buhari and efcc from probing him undecided This dasuki case is becoming boring grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 13, 2015
Ikengawo:
All Yoruba people can do is write articles to destroy Igbo people's careers

Did you benefit from the slush funds? Why are you using tribalism to support, cover and mask corruption?

Anyone that guilty shd go. The govt after Buhari should also do the same thing. The is the way to recover Nigeria from the gutters and the evil culture like the one you're defending.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by SleekyP(m): 10:05am On Dec 13, 2015
Saheed9:
No credible source yet. But if it turns out to be true, I hope the flat heads won't enter the streets again in the name of protests.
cheesy
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Ikengawo: 10:05am On Dec 13, 2015
Activa:

Did you benefit from the slush funds? Why are you using tribalism to support, cover and mask corruption?

Anyone that guilty shd go. The govt after Buhari should also do the same thing. The is the way to recover Nigeria from the gutters and the evil culture like the one you're defending.

But Tinubu picks the Vice President and Amaechi is made a minister right? In your eyes in Ngozi Iweala that's the evil culture right?

12 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Teryfik(m): 10:07am On Dec 13, 2015
If those dat obeyed d order r 2 b arrested n persecuted wat den happens 2 d person dat gave d order

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 13, 2015
Ikengawo:

But Tinubu picks the Vice President and Amaechi is made a minister right? In your eyes in Ngozi Iweala that's the evil culture right?

Helloooooooo,

The evil culture must be destroyed one step after the other.

I expect and want all the 'evils' of today too to be revisited tomorrow.

With the magnitude of the looting under Jonathan, which the people have admitted, it makes no sense to be pointing to Tinubu or using tribalism to cover whatever.

Can't you see how people are suffering in Nigeria? Are you this heartless?

Condemn what is wrong. Prepare a petition on Tinubu. If PDP forms d govt in 2019 (as Bode George just said), don't spare any of the people of today.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 13, 2015
And so it came, chaff articles motivated by Tribalism, littering our cyber space. This time it's from olufamous.com

The hilarious part if that everyone now knows the law. I keep saying this, even if leadership is give to the current young generation of Nigerians, they will fail. Our Educational system has been breeding illiterates as graduates. Unless our educational system is overhauled we cannot get it right in this country.

Just take a look at sleekyp display of ignorance. You should have kept quiet on issues you have limited knowledge.

Tell me, the Bail out fund given to States by Buhari's Administration is it illegal too?

The Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Alleged Illegal Diversion, What The Constitution Says & Dasuki

I've read several opinions on this matter and most of them are emotional rather than logical. Let's break this issue down and address them bit by bit. Please note that this is strictly my personal opinion:

Q: Was there a diversion?
My take: Yes

Q: Was the diversion illegal?
My take: No, the diversion was not illegal. Ngozi duly got approval for the transfer and the use of the funds. She stated in the memo that the fund was to be shared on a 50-50 basis (security-development). With this approval from the C-in-C, the 'diversion', if you can still call it one, was legal and duly authorized.

Q: But the fund was not appropriated? Isn't this wrong?
My take: I believe the constitution empowers the President to spend without appropriation until at a later date according to Section 82 of the constitution.
However, Ngozi's letter clearly stated that 'the funds form part of the projected Federal Government independent revenue to be appropriated'. Was it appropriated at a later date since the letter was dated January 2015?
However, this is what the Nigerian constitution says on this issue and a I quote verbatim from Section 82:

82. If t "If the Appropriation Bill in respect of any financial year has not been passed into law by the beginning of the financial year, the President may authorise the withdrawal of moneys in the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation for the purpose of meeting expenditure necessary to carry on the services of the Government of the Federation for a period not exceeding months or until the coming into operation of the Appropriate Act, whichever is the earlier:

Provided that the withdrawal in respect of any such period shall not exceed the amount authorised to be withdrawn from the Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation under the provisions of the Appropriation Act passed by the National Assembly for the corresponding period in the immediately preceding financial year, being an amount proportionate to the total amount so authorised for the immediately preceding financial year".

Q: Was it right for part of the money to go to security when it should have been used for infrastructure?
My take: Without security, all infrastructure will go to ruins. Ngozi already explained that her office was accused of not making enough funds available to fight terrorism.

Q: Don't you think Dasuki has a case to answer?
My take: I believe he does. That is why I have been saying he should have his day in court. Ngozi has provided evidence of disbursement of funds to Dasuki's office as the NSA, so the onus for accountability now rests on him.
However, I believe this is going to be a very tough case given the peculiar situation of security considerations.
For instance, there are several DSS moles who are students in the Universities in the North East. The woman who sells roasted plantain across the street can be a mole. These kind of 'payments' are not receipted.
Then, there are instances when arms are paid for in cash at the black market. What about cash paid for security information?

Q: Are you saying Dasuki may be innocent?
My take: No, that's not I'm saying. I'm saying that the prosecution will have a Herculean task proving their case and I wish them well. I also want anyone found guilty to be sentenced appropriately.
Nevertheless, a war situation is always a very fertile environment for corruption. Fraud is common when you give away billions. And one will be a fool to defend any politician on a matter of integrity.

Q: Some have been calling for the CBN Governor's head too? Don't you think he has a case to answer?
My take: Wetin concern agbero for overload? What has he done wrong? Do you think he should have refused a lawful instruction for release of funds? People should think with their heads and not any other aperture in their bodies.

Final Word: There was a committee set up on the Abacha recovered loot to determine how it should be spent. It was sequel to the decision of this committee that the NSA brought a request to NOI. It was on this basis that NOI requested for approval from the C-in-C.
I think Ngozi should be commended for leaving a paper trail and on the face of it, this is what is called transparency and accountability. In the corporate sector, you would have said she 'covered her back'. She has been able to defend her actions and I believe others should do likewise. I wish all public officers can defend their actions while in office like she has done.
And how I wish the same people shouting for Ngozi's head made a quarter of that noise during the Amaechi and Fashola saga.

My opinion. You're entitled to yours- Ibrahim,IB

bettercreature:
PMB and EFCC already knows where this case is going,GEJ will surely be invited to testify in court because i dont see how its possible to jail DASUKI and DOKPESI without court asking GEJ to come and clarify why he ordered all the payments

Unless there's new developments, Dopkesi has no case to answer. Dopkesi is a business man, you can't persecute him if he receives money to provide services that is not in any way against Nigeria Constitution.

EdCure:

At least the Buhari bail-out funds was publicised, the amount known and the purpose understood.
Can the same be said about the Jonathan/Okonjo/Emefiele licentous withdrawals?

Stop putting up lame argument! Is publication the same as Appropriation? Why shift goal post...the Nigerian constitution allows a president to spend in certain situations without immediate appropriation otherwise how did Buhari have power to order the Bail out fund?

oduastates:

Many lived their entire lives under dictatorship and would not recognise a lawful society if you threw it in their faces.
A President has no power to order money from the treasury apart from the money appropriated by the national assembly,and for which he has been granted discretionary powers . Even at that, the money must be spent on what it was appropriated.
Any other act is an act of corruption.

Presidency do have power to spend without appropriation. How was Bail out fund ordered without appropriation?

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 13, 2015
Who takes olufamous serious, olufamous the failed blogger, he should go and learn blogging from Bellanaija and Lindaikeji
SleekyP:
It has long been established that a subordinate has no legal obligation to obey illegal orders from his/her superior. This point is important as we examine the recent nauseating revelations about the huge sums of money that the former finance minister, Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Central Bank governor, Godwin Emefiele, made available to the now arrested former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

Few days ago, Okonjo-Iweala admitted giving Sambo Dasuki the sum of $322m on the orders of former President Goodluck Jonathan. Before that the same Okonjo-Iweala admitted spending $2bn
from the Excess Crude Oil account on the orders of the former President. The Central Bank of Nigeria under Godwin Emefiele has admitted giving Sambo Dasuki billions of Naira and dollars on the orders of the former president. A good part of these monies were given to Sambo Dasuki in cash in clear contravention of existing anti-money laundering laws by the country’s chief banker. Let us put the money laundering issue to the side for now.

The problem with the orders from the former President to the then finance minister and current CBN governor is that they were illegal. Neither the President nor any other government official in Nigeria has the legal authority to order the spending of funds that have not been appropriated by the National Assembly! Both subordinates knew or ought to know that the orders they were obeying were illegal and should have refused to comply. Resignation was an option. Between these two subordinates they cost the nation in excess of $5B by obeying the referenced illegal orders. That is just what we know so far and this kind of behavior is going on at every level of government everyday.

The arrest and prosecution of Okonjo-Iweala and Godwin Emediefe will send out the message that “the president ordered the payment” is not a defense known to the laws of Nigeria. Their prosecution is imperative in light of the fact that a lot of the money being stolen in the country is not in the custody of the people stealing them. They rely on a group of people that I call facilitators in an upcoming article to get access to public funds in the custody of the facilittors. 

In almost every case of monies made available to Sambo Dasuki, all those making the money available were following illegal orders and they knew it. The time has come for Buhari to beam the searchlight on this group of people. The commercial bankers who allow government officials to come into their banks and withdraw millions and billions in cash in apparent violation of anti-money laundering laws are facilitators of corruption because they know the funds are dirty hence the need to terminate the paper trail through cash withdrawal. The bankers ought to be in jail too partly because they make tracing these funds more complicated.

To understand the importance of subordinates not obeying illegal orders, imagine that Okonjo-Iweala, NNPC and Godwin Emefiele refused to obey the former President’s illegal orders and resigned under pressure and spilled the beans. With Nigerians fully aware of the attempted fraud it would have been difficult for their replacements to obey the same illegal orders. Buhari’s anti-corruption war must involve establishing a culture that encourages civil servants, and bank employees to disobey illegal orders. This will prevent our money from leaving the treasury rather than chasing after the money after it has been stolen.

Before closing I will like to remind people that a majority of the civilians and military officers who were tried, executed or jailed by the post-World War 2 Nuremberg Trials courts in Germany were obeying orders from Adolf Hitler. The problem was that Adolf Hitler had no legal basis for issuing the orders and those who ended up being executed for obeying the orders had no obligation to obey the orders. 

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Godwin Emefiele should be familiar with the Nuremberg Trials. The lesson is that a superior cannot order a subordinate to do anything that the superior has no authority to do himself/herself. Nigerians must rid themselves of the idea that a President has the power to order anyone to do anything in the absence of enabling legislation. Na oga say make I do am is not a defense.

Source: http://www.olufamous.com/2015/12/buhari-order-immediate-arrest-of-okonjo.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by eyesofgod: 10:20am On Dec 13, 2015
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by bettercreature(m): 10:25am On Dec 13, 2015
@ centje,DOKPESI is a business man and a PDP member
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by ibietela2(m): 10:37am On Dec 13, 2015
jomoh:

Why are you bothering yourself about that illiterate.

The bail out fund is perfectly legal and within the powers granted to the president by the constitution.
The bail out fund was a loan, it was not a gift like the illiterate thought.

Is it not the same thing NOI said and you people wanted her dead

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by ibietela2(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2015
CyerSeries:
Didn't you read where it was agreed by the security council that part of the Abacha loot will be used in the prosecution of war against BH? ...That was why the money was released to ONSA. You are accusing NOI about appropriation and I asked, the one Buhari shared to governors as bailout, was it appropriated? , the $100M he donated to MNJTF immediately after his swearing in, was it appropriated?

True, i read were she said it will be given as loan

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 13, 2015
That's why I said if there's new developments, but for the case so far, they have no case against him. Is being a PDP member amount to disobeying the law? Dokpesi is just there to answer for the money paid to him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not any way saying Dokpesi is innocent or guilty, I am not a fan of Dokpesi neither do I watch AIT, I watch Channels TV because they have proven, to me, to be a Station not affiliated to any political party or Tribe but give unbiased report. So my point on this case is based on logic. Nigerians should stop being too emotional on News especially the one surrounding power. A lot of conspiracies go on behind the media Propaganda.

bettercreature:
@ centje,DOKPESI is a business man and a PDP member

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by HopeAtHand: 10:56am On Dec 13, 2015
Ive never heard of a Nigerian Minister of Finance or CBN governor who resigned from office because he/she couldn't carryout the simple instructions of the President.

While im not of the opinion that the actions of NOI and Emefiele were legal, one has to consider the fact that the APC at that time were bent on frustrating GEJs war on Boko Haram.Time is critical, sending a request for such huge amount to the National Assembly was going to be met with delays from APC members who will gladly frustrate its passage, and ensure Boko Haram made gains to as to gleeefully report the news through Sahara reporters.

I think NOI and Emefiele acted in the interest of Nigeria. Whatever Dasuki did with the money cant be their blame.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Abbey24(m): 11:08am On Dec 13, 2015
ghen ghen Dasuki nd his pple including their oga @ d top i.e GEJ
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by TimeManager(m): 11:11am On Dec 13, 2015
PMB Take A Bow And Go! In My Government, There Will Be No Sacred Cow- PMB 2015 No Be Lie Na True!
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Unemadu: 11:11am On Dec 13, 2015
oduastates:

Exactly why the SW voted him out.
His lack of mechanism to moderate his animal instinct and the unitary powers granted by a devious Nigerian constitution.
You have unlawful leeway to do as you like does not mean you should.

You are being incoherent and contradictory. First u said the president has no powers to do such then u said d constitution grants him those powers. Pls make your point clear

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by afanide: 11:20am On Dec 13, 2015
tunjion:
Aboki must be using yoruba identity, becos i dont know see wen my people have become so bigoted and tribalist that they want every igbo persecuted.

Everytime they write press, if it is not Stella Oduah, IT is Alison Madueke, now Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and Emefiele. Nobody ask of Fashola or Tinubu?

Both Amaechi
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by odeku457(m): 11:21am On Dec 13, 2015
Jungle Don Mature
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by 22logos: 11:23am On Dec 13, 2015
you cant arrest the most powerful woman in Nigeria

[size=16pt]
Need a Good company logo today?
[/size]
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Eyop: 11:23am On Dec 13, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by TimeManager(m): 11:28am On Dec 13, 2015
A Sharp Contrast Between Two Journalism. VANGUARD Says SOMEONE MUST BE LYING ABOUT DASUKI While OLUFAMOUS Says BUHARI, ORDER THE ARREST OF OKONJO IWEALA. Who Is On The Side Of The People? By Their Articles You Shall Know Them
No Lie Only Truth!

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by cold(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2015
Tired noise..soured grapes
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by B69U: 11:29am On Dec 13, 2015
Ultimately, Buhari Gov is going to run aground. The man is strictly on a witch hunt and revenge mission.

It will end with Buhari's head.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Hoii(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2015
About time
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by FLYFIRE(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2015
Activa:

What gutter, the one yellobars rushed into? Can you go ask your IDIOTI. C president if abacha was corrupt
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by martineverest(m): 11:30am On Dec 13, 2015
B4 u start tribalism, that name sounds Yoruba but the Author is from south south... Check the surname

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by olabs201(m): 11:30am On Dec 13, 2015
The four years of PMB will just be for probing,arrest and travelling i must tell you. If you continue to arrest all this people and you forget TINUBU. Nigeria is still playing hide and seek game of politics.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 13, 2015
I'm so happy
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by MrOmoyemi: 11:32am On Dec 13, 2015
Let me stop this Hollywood movie am watching and concentrate on this better Naija movie CORRUPTHOOD!
Re: Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi by millionboi(m): 11:32am On Dec 13, 2015
What abt sanusi.....Buhari is makin all effort 2divid dis country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Zanele Sifuba Accuses Governor Douye Diri Of Leaking Her Sex Tape / Old Naira Notes To Continue To Be Legal Tender Till December - Supreme Court / Funke Akindele Nominated As Running Mate To Jandor, Lagos PDP Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.