Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). (29584 Views)

Why Does President Buhari Treat Shiites And Fulani Herdsmen Differently? premium / Pictures From Shiites-Army Clash In Zaria, Many Feared Dead / Imo State First Ever Flyover Underway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by missKiffy(f): 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2015
Good, the earlier, the better
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by Dbboy(m): 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2015
this what happen when you act before reasoning. common sense isn't common after-all.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by preetyb(f): 2:47pm On Dec 17, 2015
Neduzze5:
That one concern them!!

How does it change the fact that I still dey find native fowl wey I go thief take celebrate christmas?? undecided
So u never change?
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by johnydon22(m): 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dannyset:

Army shouldn't open fire on civilians no matter what!
I just hope they've realised their fault and apologise.
Surely enough this is true but civilians should know their place to understand exercising their franchise does not include restricting the movement of the army on a road in fact not even restricting anybody's passage.

But i still maintain we need water canon, rubber bullets and gases in handling such situations.. these are cheap constitutes of other security forces around the globe, i don't why we always lag behind
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by spartacuz: 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
Okay, pls how much is half dead fowl at ur side? I wanna get one for next week

1 Like

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by preetyb(f): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
spartacuz:
Okay, pls how much is half dead fowl at ur side? I wanna get one for next week
Are u afraid of killing a life chicken that u rather prefer a half dead one?

1 Like

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by omenka(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
I know some people from a particular section of the country would be very angry at this news.

They hate Muslims with passion and hate Buhari simply because he's a Muslim.

They've been the ones bringing us news by the second regarding the Shiite/Nigerian Army palaver.

They brought us gory images of those killed, showed us images of houses razed, showed us cars with bullet holes, showed us the Sect's leader being carried in a wheel barrow. When we showed them video of what actually transpired and precipitated the incident, they said it was doctored even though they weren't on the scene.

They said Buhari killed "innocent defenseless citizens" yet they call ALL Muslims terrorist. Their desire is to see the situation escalate and see the government crumble.

To all those who wish Nigeria/Nigerians/Buhari evil, ten times more would you get.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by prettyboi1(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnydon22:
To be sincere the shiites were moronic to attempt restricting the movement of the Nigerian army on a road in this country.

Such insolence is intolerable, who do they really think they are..

People keep mistaking freedom to practise their religions to mean inconveniencing others.

You have your freedom to practise what ever religion you deem fit but it doesn't mean you have the right to force others to adhere to your religious dictates.

But why is it there are no water canon, rubber bullets, tear gases that can be used to disperse such rabbles and not use live ammunition on civilians..

Civilians are the ones under the protection of a Sovereign state, if the states starts killing them i wonder where else can be safe.

matters involving the citizens of a country should be delicately handled
You have made sense bro,however,let me point something out to you. Water canons,rubber bullets etc are used for crowd control during riots and turbulent protests etc. This situation was obviously different. The army did not go there to contain any protests. It was just a coincidence that the chief of army staff was travelling past that road and his convoy ran into a group of people holding a religious procession while blocking the road. It is a very big risk having the chief of army staff held in such a situation for long and so senior officers in his convoy came down and tried to be diplomatic with the crowd to let them pass but things escalated, I guess.
The soldiers in the convoy were only carrying out their duty of protecting the chief of army staff from harm,cos you never know what could happen. If someone came out from somewhere and shot at the convoy? What would have happened? If someone came and slashed their cars' tires? That's a risk. If someone came out with a grenade launcher to shoot a the convoy? That would have been a risk. What if a suicide bomber came and detonated a bomb in the middle of the gathering? We're talking about the chief of army staff here,not a random person. We don't expect a situation where the chief would have been under so much threat that he would have had to come down from his car to run on feet. The soldiers had to act ahead. I'm sure,the crowd just refused to co-operate and the soldiers had to do their work and things got out of hand.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by onyiloyi(m): 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2015
Those guys have no business blocking d road for religious rite or whatsoever not even to civilian citizens, but they done it for yrs with no one to challenge them, only this time did to d wrong guy(the army chief) n he use them to make a statement they will never forget
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by Onyocha: 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
[b]honestly speaking, what happened on the road is very much irrelevant. Both sides are wrong there.

What is relevant to me is that the army used the earlier road incident as excuse/cover up/pretext to launch two assaults at the worship center and at the cleric's home. During the siege and raid many were killed and the structures got demolished. These are crimes against humanity committed and human rights violations. No one really care that the army reacted -by taking law into their hands -to road block and many understand that the blocking of road and confronting soldiers who don't value lives is wrong. The problem is the siege on the house and the hussainiyyah.

Many are distracted by what happened on the road. The army is using the road incident to cover up their assault on and demolition of the house and hussainiyyah. Many lives were wasted.That is wrong and unjustifiable even under military rule.

The siege and assault on the home and worship center came after the road incident had ended. Why?

The COAS should please not resign. He should either remain and continue to tarnish the image of the APC government and the image of the country, or let him be sacked immediately and punished for his crimes. This is a democracy and no one should be a victim of religious persecution. Citizens should be free to choose what beliefs they want to follow.[/b]
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by Koolking(m): 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnydon22:
To be sincere the shiites were moronic to attempt restricting the movement of the Nigerian army on a road in this country.

People keep mistaking freedom to practise their religions to mean inconveniencing others.

You have your freedom to practise what ever religion you deem fit but it doesn't mean you have the right to force others to adhere to your religious dictates.

But why is it there are no water canon, rubber bullets, tear gases that can be used to disperse such rabbles and not use live ammunition on civilians..

Civilians are the ones under the protection of a Sovereign state, if the states starts killing them i wonder where else can be safe.

A civilian who respects his or herself will be respected. Civilians should be well aware that the country is in precarious state, therefore defiant to constituted authority (worst when it emanates from a Moslem) will not be treated with kid-gloves. Threatening to kill a general means war. The military is not the Police.

It does not take away the dignity of any civilian to respect the law and steer clear from inappropriate use of public facilities. The only short route to suicide in this present state of the nation is to damn the military and stoop above the law on their watch.

A word is enough for the wise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by Onyocha: 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
onyiloyi:
Those guys have no business blocking d road for religious rite or whatsoever not even to civilian citizens, but they done it for yrs with no one to challenge them, only this time did to d wrong guy(the army chief) n he use them to make a statement they will never forget

How many more people will continue to display stupidity?

The question many are not asking is how does the blocking of road and the road incident that earlier happened give right for the army to later on bring reinforcements and to lay siege and attack the cleric's house and worship center? The attacks were at three locations. And the buildings got demolished. In whose name?

1 Like

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by dustydee: 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
One of the outcomes of this enquiry I expect is the ban on religious organisations and other groups from blocking public roads for processions, services or parties.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by johnydon22(m): 3:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
prettyboi1:

You have made sense bro,however,let me point something out to you. Water canons,rubber bullets etc are used for crowd control during riots and turbulent protests etc. This situation was obviously different. The army did not go there to contain any protests. It was just a coincidence that the chief of army staff was travelling past that road and his convoy ran into a group of people holding a religious procession while blocking the road. It is a very big risk having the chief of army staff held in such a situation for long and so senior officers in his convoy came down and tried to be diplomatic with the crowd to let them pass but things escalated, I guess.
The soldiers in the convoy were only carrying out their duty of protecting the chief of army staff from harm,cos you never know what could happen. If someone came out from somewhere and shot at the convoy? What would have happened? If someone came and slashed their cars' tires? That's a risk. If someone came out with a grenade launcher to shoot a the convoy? That would have been a risk. What if a suicide bomber came and detonated a bomb in the middle of the gathering? We're talking about the chief of army staff here,not a random person. We don't expect a situation where the chief would have been under so much threat that he would have had to come down from his car to run on feet. The soldiers had to act ahead. I'm sure,the crowd just refused to co-operate and the soldiers had to do their work and things got out of hand.
None the less i still don't support the use of live Ammunition on them.

The chief of army staff is also there for the civilians, government is made for the people not the other way round.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by Kappa101: 3:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnydon22:

I think you are right!
And for the part of water cannon, rubber bullets....dont forget the military don't play with baby toys like the police does.
Whenever they are moving, especially in convoy.... it's always serious business with the real thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by olusola2bello: 3:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
I think there was an overreaction on the part of the Nigerian Army and they should be held responsible for murdering those guys.

However, watching that video, I noticed that even while the Shiites were being begged by the army officers, some of them were already moving in with stones and large sticks. And they included women and children too. You don't try this, @least not while Nigeria is @ war. You don't threat hen d head of the army and think they will pat u with rubber bullets.

However, killing such a large number( if actually 300 is true) is not warranted.

Let peace reign. We don't want another Boko Haram
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by johnydon22(m): 3:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
Kappa101:

I think you are right!
And for the part of water cannon, rubber bullets....dont forget the military don't play with baby toys like the police does.
Whenever they are moving, especially in convoy.... it's always serious business with the real thing.
I think in a more civilized and developed state, security agencies in charge of internal security could have been alerted and so the mindless riot could have been solved in a more discreet way..

We need those... Water cannons, rubber bullets and other mild ammos necessary to extinguish a civil uprising
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by cirmuell(m): 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2015
LordAdam:
After hearing both sides of the story and consulting several sources I finally have to make my first post on this issue.

I fail to see how a group of marauding violent elements preventing passage of the CAOS necessitates the killing of 300 to 500 people. I would repeat that, 300 to 500 people amongst whom were women and children.

I do not like the ideology of Shia in Nigeria. Their members have been unruly on many occasions, they have serious undertones of harnessing Nigeria through an Islamic revolution, and some of their members have flouted federal, state, and local laws with impunity with a pat on the back from their leadership and wealthy sponsors.

However, let us not turn this into a numbers game. I fail to see how every of those 300 to 500 people were armed. The fact is that there were EXTRA-JUDICIAL killings, and that is unacceptable regardless of the reason.

In any case, the government should place a tight lid on the Shiites. It is clear that the group has violent elements as members and so the government should follow the rule of law rather than play God.

-Lord
who did the head-count please?
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by HRich(m): 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
jeloser:
grin after killing more than 300
More should have been killed sef. Nonsense.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by prettyboi1(m): 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnydon22:
None the less i still don't support the use of live Ammunition on them.

The chief of army staff is also there for the civilians, government is made for the people not the other way round.
Like I pointed out before,they weren't deployed to go contain a protest,they were just traveling like any other person so there's hardly any way they would have had dummy bullets.
Soldiers don't carry dummy bullets around when they're traveling, they carry live rounds cos you can't use dummy bullets to fight off potential enemies. With the situation in the north-east, every soldier is a potential target so I think those guys should have just respected the law and the government by doing their procession peacefully and not trampling on the rights of other Nigerians too. Don't get me wrong, it's sad that some civilians lost their lives and I wish there were better ways to sort things out, but let's be honest with ourselves the protection of the lives of people in certain key government positions is usually top-most priority and that's why the soldiers tried to be diplomatic first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by kristisking(m): 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
The only solution is for these people to stop road blocks during their processions. The thing is worrisom and disturbing. Those who have not run into them will not understand what we pass through any time they hold their processions. What pisses most was even last year's incident where they protested the killing of their members in Palestine. How will people be protesting with weapons?Those who dont know may not believe this. They said they are armless but my question is, what is the definition of armless? Is it only when you are not with guns that you armless?
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by kings09(m): 3:26pm On Dec 17, 2015
Let dem harness d northern part of Nig n leave we d southerners. Wether na army or d shiites de wrong, let's sue for peace cos Dats d best of solutions. #PeaceAdvocate
LordAdam:
After hearing both sides of the story and consulting several sources I finally have to make my first post on this issue.

I fail to see how a group of marauding violent elements preventing passage of the CAOS necessitates the killing of 300 to 500 people. I would repeat that, 300 to 500 people amongst whom were women and children.

I do not like the ideology of Shia in Nigeria. Their members have been unruly on many occasions, they have serious undertones of harnessing Nigeria through an Islamic revolution, and some of their members have flouted federal, state, and local laws with impunity with a pat on the back from their leadership and wealthy sponsors.

However, let us not turn this into a numbers game. I fail to see how every of those 300 to 500 people were armed. The fact is that there were EXTRA-JUDICIAL killings, and that is unacceptable regardless of the reason.

In any case, the government should place a tight lid on the Shiites. It is clear that the group has violent elements as members and so the government should follow the rule of law rather than play God.

-Lord
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by vislabraye(m): 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2015
LordAdam:

-Lord

God bless you. People just showed the army begging them and they've drawn their conclusion. The houses that were razed, were they also obstructing the COAS ?
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by badonkadonk: 3:41pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dannyset:

I strongly disagree... It's the army not the police... They weren't trained to speak English or have feelings to pamper... The citizens are to blame for wanting and having the impetus to contest the armies ryt of passage...

If not for the kids glove handling of military matters by the last administration, which reduced the respect of the Nigerian military: especially the army, in the eyes of its citizens.. No person and I repeat no person would have dared to try wat they did...

I commend the COAS for standing his ground and putting those brainwashed misdoers in their place...
Ringing it vehemently and clearly, far and near, that it's not business as usual..

Thats a man of caliber and impetus..

2 Likes

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by vislabraye(m): 3:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
omenka:
I know some people from a particular section of the country would be very angry at this news.

They hate Muslims with passion and hate Buhari simply because he's a Muslim.

They've been the ones bringing us news by the second regarding the Shiite/Nigerian Army palaver.

They brought us gory images of those killed, showed us images of houses razed, showed us cars with bullet holes, showed us the Sect's leader being carried in a wheel barrow. When we showed them video of what actually transpired and precipitated the incident, they said it was doctored even though they weren't on the scene.

They said Buhari killed "innocent defenseless citizens" yet they call ALL Muslims terrorist. Their desire is to see the situation escalate and see the government crumble.

To all those who wish Nigeria/Nigerians/Buhari evil, ten times more would you get.

We were shown from reliable sources the houses that were razed down by the army. Are these correspondence all liars or ill wishers of Buhari.
Let the Army come out to deny any wrong doing.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by apache4: 3:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
End
Time
Peace!!!
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by effty(m): 3:52pm On Dec 17, 2015
This is the Nigerian Army nt a Man 'o' War organization. Orders are to be given nd adhered to at once; negotiating wit a mob is out of question. FYI armies don't move around with water cannons nd rubber bullets. God knows I would lay like 50 of dem dead whether women or children.
Yes, I would lay the children nd women so dat they don't grow into thinking dey can confront the army.
Dannyset:

Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by mfm04622: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
johnydon22:

Nigerian Army do not carry non lethal weapons. The main function of any Army is to kill. Army maintain peace by killing trouble makers or ensuring potential trouble makers know they stand a high chance of being killed if they make trouble
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by onyiloyi(m): 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2015
Onyocha:

How many more people will continue to display stupidity?

The question many are not asking is how does the blocking of road and the road incident that earlier happened give right for the army to later on bring reinforcements and to lay siege and attack the cleric's house and worship center? The attacks were at three locations. And the buildings got demolished. In whose name?
call it stupidity all u want, but I must tell u this, wen NA makes a statement, they make an extreme one so who ever is involved will forever live not to dare NA again, that is if they survive d statement
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by papparatzzi2013: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
Nigerian Army is not Police that is meant to be friendly.

Those touts blocking the road had too much affront, and they practically threatened and nearly rubbished the Nigerian Army.

next year, they will find a way of passing through the bush for their religious procession.

Yeah. It was an overkill but they needed to pass a hard stance message across to some bunch of touts in a ruthless manner and they did.

When next they see green leaf, they would give a right of way of 1km, before confirming whether it is a uniform or leaf.

Any madman that wants to block our roads in the name of religion should go to Iran or Saudi.
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by papparatzzi2013: 4:13pm On Dec 17, 2015
vislabraye:

God bless you. People just showed the army begging them and they've drawn their conclusion. The houses that were razed, were they also obstructing the COAS ?

They took the battle to the compound of their leader brainwashing them, to demystify him in th presence of his robotic and idiotic followers.

Guess what, they achieved their mission and the effect resonated all over the world.

Bunch of mofos. Why on earth will they be blocking the road?
Re: Move To Reconclile Shiites And The Nigerian Army Underway (letter). by jakiedudu(m): 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
Annunaki:
There is more to this conflict than meets the eye, the Nigerian army is fighting a proxy war on behalf of the sunnis who hate the shittes even more than they hate non muslims.
This is exactly what I have observed. Shia vs Army feud has been on since the 90s. It makes me wonder whether the Nigerian Army an Islamic Institution? Considering the fact that it has been at loggerheads for years with the Shiite group.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills 4 Vigilantes While Others Surrender To Military(photos / Sanwo-Olu Commissions 84-Unit LagosHOMS Housing Project / BIAFRA Vs Buratai: International Rights Group Release Evidence Against Army.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.