Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,846 members, 7,817,507 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

I Don't Know How To Cook! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Don't Know How To Cook! (3667 Views)

10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / My Fiancee Doesn't Know How To Cook / I Dont Know How To Cook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 07, 2009
Where do i begin learning from? sad sad
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by ifyalways(f): 9:18pm On Jun 07, 2009
Boiling egg and making tea. angry
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by SeanT21(f): 6:27am On Jun 08, 2009
COOKING SCHOOL or BUY A RECIPE BOOK!! wink

Dont U have a mommy or sis
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 6:41am On Jun 08, 2009
I live wif ma kid.

Boiling egg and makin tea shocked shocked
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by ifyalways(f): 5:32pm On Jun 08, 2009
Hope u boiled the eggs and made the tea?
Todays lesson:
Making eba and boiling yam angry
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 08, 2009
Hi Ify! Sure i did boil just eggs but didnt make tea.
And thanks for takin ma up on Cooking Lectures, brb.
*rushes to pick up lecture pen and booklet*
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2009
Why don't you tell us what you want to cook and then maybe we can help.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 09, 2009
Ifyalways, i tot u were coming back to give me practical steps, am done with boiling the yam anyway, but as 4 making eba! No Way!!
I almost breathe out my nostrils while tryin to.
Steps pls. (easy ones)

@ejadamen. I mean food in the general sense (nigerian meals i.e. Soup, and so on.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 10:23am On Jun 09, 2009
Where were u supposed to breathe out of before?
Making eba:
1. get some yellow garri(best for making eba IMO)
2. boil some water
3. take a bowl/pot whatever u want to make the eba in
4. pour some of the boiling water in the bowl and sprinkle garri into the hot water until the garri has reached the level of the water
5. depending on how soft u want it you can pour some hot water over the exposed garri
6. cover the bowl for 2 mins
7. turn the eba until all is blended

Since it'll be ur first time it mite turn out funny but more practice will help u get what you want. Try it and report back. wink
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 09, 2009
DONE, BUT WITH ERRORS!
Uhm, i tried making d eba but there were some part of d garri which doesnt blend with others in other words it wasnt smooth and is a waste though cos theres no soup to go with angry
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Gabry(f): 4:13pm On Jun 09, 2009
na waaa oo LOL!!! grin

Brein Common now. Your Jolof rice is easy to cok. Start with that. That would be impressive for first timers.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2009
Gabry:

na waaa oo LOL!!! grin

Brein Common now. Your Jolof rice is easy to cok. Start with that. That would be impressive for first timers.

Can you outline boldly the steps. grin grin
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by TOYOSI20(f): 10:39pm On Jun 09, 2009
Are u willing to learn?? undecided
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by ifyalways(f): 2:32am On Jun 10, 2009
TOYOSI20:

Are u willing to learn?? undecided
good question. cheesy
Plus are we willing to teach him undecided
where have u been pretty? kiss
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 11, 2009
Yes!! @all. Am willin to Learn provided ya'll willin to TEACH.

I hope i'l reschedule myself to receive lectures. cool
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 10:44am On Jun 12, 2009
Today's lesson is in okro soup
Choose what you want to use: fish, meat, chicken etc
IMO, the best way to eat okro is with smoked fish kiss
1. Buy okro, in the market you can have it grated or sliced, your choice.
2. Wash and clean the smoked fish.
3. In a pot pour in a small amount of water, small o!
4. Add grated okro, some dry pepper, salt, knorr cube, washed smoked fish and some sliced onions(if u like)
5. Add a little red oil and allow to boil for 5mins.

Soup is ready. This is the way i like my okro so try it and let's hear. It should go well with your eba.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by dominique(f): 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2009
brein:

DONE, BUT WITH ERRORS!
Uhm, i tried making d eba but there were some part of d garri which doesnt blend with others in other words it wasnt smooth and is a waste though cos theres no soup to go with angry
That means you prolly allowed the water to cool before adding the garri. Next time add the garri to  the water the minute it boils.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
Gud cook i must say.
Cha!! Dis is what i call d real "FAST FOOD".
The soup didnt actualy lasted up to 5mins cos ma kind of gas burns like an oven.
Now i nid to keep reharlzin dis.

Jollof Rice shld be next food, pls. cool
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by TOYOSI20(f): 12:12am On Jun 14, 2009
ifyalways:

good question. cheesy
Plus are we willing to teach him undecided
where have u been pretty? kiss

I'm just peachy baby. . . .missed yah!! kiss kiss

I agree we are willing to teach. . . . hopefully hes a fast learner!! cheesy cheesy

brein:

Gud cook i must say.
Cha!! Dis is what i call d real "FAST FOOD".
The soup didnt actualy lasted up to 5mins cos ma kind of gas burns like an oven.
Now i nid to keep reharlzin dis.

Jollof Rice shld be next food, pls. cool

Oh that's easy. . .there are several threads already on Jollof rice. . . .just take time out and use thesearch engine. . . . smiley wink

Now if u have any other complicated foods u have in mind. . . . .we'll be happy to post up the recipes. . . . smiley
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2009
I agree with Toyosi20. Brein come up with harder stuff, also there are already a lot of recipes in Food so you can use the search engine. Good luck! How's the eba practice coming along? cheesy
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 14, 2009
Its Okies!
I gues i've got to searchout ma' meal spec'
will be back once am done on Jollof Rice.

Err, ! I gat one problem, and that goin to d market and buying those ingredient thing undecided
its kinda anoyin as a male though. wink
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by CakeMonsta(f): 3:17pm On Jun 14, 2009
Brein, what do you want to learn to cook?
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 4:52pm On Jun 14, 2009
Brein where do you stay/live? Buying things from the market is not a big deal even for guys. My husband goes to the market a lot and he has no issues with it. So why should u or are u one of those guys who believes the market is for women only?

Unless you say you don't know what to buy or whee to get them undecided
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 19, 2009
CakeMonster, are u joining the class of teachers who're dedicated to teaching food meals?!? Welcome then. Am a kitchen novice sha. smiley
@Ejadamen, Yes am back, it was a lil bit cubersome trying to cook Jollof rice, damn hectic!! Are there no easy steps jst like d fast food kind of Okro soup above?
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2009
Eja! Your hubby goes to the MARKET shocked shocked and wht wld u be doin lettin ya hubby go start crowdin wif market women.
And by the way, YES. Market should be for just women, except those guys that thinks they coulda do better in d kitchen.
Now, i need to learn how to make portage (porrage). I can't continue relyin on some lady to cook 4 moi evry now and then, sometimes she treats my bad if we had a little quarrel hence promptin moi to go eat meals outside some eatries.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 2:37pm On Jun 19, 2009
@ brein, it's none of your business what i do while my husband goes to the market. You don't want to go to the market and you want to learn how to cook. How possible? Then marry a woman who shares your ideas about the market and forget about cooking. I was merely trying to point out that men do go to the market and they don't die before getting home.

Jollof rice:
You'll need tomatoes, tatashe(big red pepper), pepper, onions, crayfish, rice, groundnut oil(or any other you like), rice, salt and other seasoning e.g knorr cubes, curry, thyme, ginger, garlic etc(i use all).

NB: You'll have to determine the quantities of the raw materials yourself. Work with what you think is best for you.

1. Blend the tomatoes, tatashe, pepper, onions, crayfish, garlic and ginger to a smooth paste.
2. Boil this paste until all the water dries out. Don't let it burn o!
3. In a frying pan, heat up some ground nut oil and add chopped onions to fry for abt 1 minute.
4. Add the hot oil with fried onions to the pot containing boiled tomato paste.
5. Fry the paste, add curry, thyme, salt and knorr cube(s) to taste.
6. Wash rice with water and set it down and stir frying tomato paste frequently to prevent burning
7. Frying should not exceed 5 mins, add some water into the fried mixture(enough to boil your rice) and add washed rice.
8. Check rice periodically and add water as needed until rice gets done.

You can garnish your jollof rice with green pepper, chopped carrots, shrimps, onions etc. Just add them at the end,when the rice is done and let the hot steam cook them a bit. They taste better crunchy. For shrimps,you'll have to add them a little earlier.

Lemme know how it goes. wink
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 19, 2009
Thanks gurl friend. Guez i wld have to gain some acquaintancy wif yo wink
Now, This is what i call "Your Own Way" nice replete.
I wonder why i didnt had to go spend some vacation at Umuahia Ibeku in Abia state so i cld learn some typical cooks angry
and i didnt mean to invade ya privacy wit yo hubby. wink smiley i'll have to cook this tomorrow been Saturday!
Will be Right Back.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 12:32am On Jun 21, 2009
DONE!! With all Perfection
but i didnt made do with the chopd carrots, Shrimps and d likes but it was a good cook.
I thought as much. smiley cool
thanks dear.
>>Porrage<<
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by edgefix: 12:20pm On Jun 27, 2009
: shocked it is just because u never saw urself doing it but my candid advice is to first see urself doing it without stress and i bet u 'll be happy with yourself later
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Ejadamen(f): 12:51pm On Jun 27, 2009
It has been a while since i made porridge but only cos my hubby doesn't like it. Here goes:
Ingredients: yam, tomatoes, pepper, red oil, scent leaf (efirin), dry or smoked fish (your choice), onions.

1. Grind tomatoes and pepper to a smooth or slightly rough paste (u only need a little).
2. Slice scent leaf and set it aside, clean fish and set it aside(if u use dry fish u have to soak it in hot water for a bit).
3. Fry tomato paste in red oil with a bit of knorr or maggi cubes
4. Boil yam till it is really soft.
5. Add fried tomato paste, fish, scent leaf and some chopped onions(optional)
6. Allow to boil for about 5 mins and it's ready

Of course you know you should add salt. Instead of scent leaf u can use a bit of ugu leaf or leave it plain if you like. Adding vegetable makes it look more appealing. N20 scent leaf will do. Try it and lemme know.
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 28, 2009
Thanks dear, will be try it out shortly,
brb. wink smiley
Re: I Don't Know How To Cook! by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 28, 2009
Thanks dear, will try* it out shortly,
brb. wink smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Send Cakes, Flowers & Gifts To Lagos, Nigeria / Do You Add Maggi To Your Beans While Cooking? Yes Or No. Give Reason(s) / How To Cook A Snake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.