Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,499 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion (41154 Views)

Photos Of Don Jazzy Proposing To Tiwa Savage After Linda Ikeji Pregnancy News / Landlord Takes Cynthia Morgan To Court Over Unpaid Rent, Tax Evasion / Lagos Sues AY And Davido Over Tax Evasion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
papparatzzi2013:

How many writers have an office?

Do they fulfill their civic duties or not?

As long as you are earning income whether in space or inside the sea and such falls within a geographical entity, you are bound to pay the tax on such income.
Like I own a Facebook business page which is linked to my blog. I sell stuff,teach people different crafts,network and I carry my laptop every where I go-in the train,car,eatery,home,office,etc. Do I have to pay tax for owning a computer?
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Tolatutu: 7:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
njays24:
Like I own a Facebook business page which is linked to my blog. I sell stuff,teach people different crafts,network and I carry my laptop every where I go-in the train,car,eatery,home,office,etc. Do I have to pay tax for owning a computer?

You are supposed to pay income tax regardless of how you earn the income. Now because of the nature of your business they may not notice you for a while but someday when you need to do something that requires you to show prof of tax payment then the trouble comes. In developed countries, except you are unemployed you must surely pay tax no matter the nature of your business. They are supposed to estimate how much you earn monthly

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2015
Tolatutu:

You are supposed to pay income tax regardless of how you earn the income. Now because of the nature of your business they may not notice you for a while but someday when you need to do something that requires you to show prof of tax payment then the trouble comes. In developed countries, except you are unemployed you must surely pay tax no matter the nature of your business. They are supposed to estimate how much you earn monthly
Ok o!
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by papparatzzi2013: 7:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
njays24:

You do not have to pay tax for owning a computer, but u are expected to pay tax on income generated using the computer.

That is your civic duty.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Revolva(m): 7:28pm On Dec 19, 2015
Dis should not bring tribaal bash na....na wa ooo.....nigerians n tribalism...

Well linda should go and pay her taxes jare....wetin abi she waan go kirikiri prison..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 19, 2015
kettykings:
As usual, how else would the budget be funded if not from the tax from alaba, ladipo and igbo businesses
she leave her village go buy house for banana island
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Elxandre(m): 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2015
Adiwana:
People are jus jealous.Notin more noting else.I could remember that time she was banned,guys were jublating saying How woman go dey do all this..

The truth is,according to law,she must pay her taxes.But no for her blogging biz.Make una jus free the lady.haba
This is pure hatred!
People will argue otherwise, but please can you tell me this is the only popular personality that defaulted on tax payments?

She should have paid her taxes anyways.
Nigerians should start paying taxes, at least it I don't think it is as hefty as in England, Spain etc.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Eledan: 7:42pm On Dec 19, 2015
Acidosis:

You're sick

Do you know the meaning of freelance?
Yes she earns income while living and conducting her freelance journalism business from Lagos, therefore she is liable to file in a self assessment for her Pay As you Earn (PAYE), while the governing keep making effort to expand the tax net, it's almost difficult to capture everyone, however eventually people will need to do one thing or the other with govt, it's will be st that point thst more and such people will be captured.
Our problem as a nation is our over reliance on oil, but now that the oil party is winding up, the govt will have no choice but to go after wealthy Nigerians that have been evading tax.
Based on the value of that house alone, if the govt should serve her an assessment after all allowable reliefs, she will pay tax in millions.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by pheliciti: 7:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
victorjam:
so ppl pay tax for bloggin? how many bloggers do pay tax? abeg make una free linda jare... d only tax she needs to pay is d one for d purchase of her house. no blogger in Nigeria pay tax. linda cant be made a scapegoat. Nigerians and bad belle
Better you use the time spent here to get an education. How can you comment about a subject you don't understand? Just spend the airtime on learning rather than commenting. Once you generate income from any activity that is not tax exempt and you are not tax exempt, then you must pay tax.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by princejayboss: 7:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
kettykings:
As usual, how else would the budget be funded if not from the tax from alaba, ladipo and igbo businesses

Am an igbo man but I tell you this .... She was so so so so so so so so foolish when she was announcing the 550million home .... What's really her job.... It's only in Nigeria that people think with their ass... Try it here and you will spend all that money you have on court cases.

P.S.... Seun and co ... So finally ... You lifted the ban.... Because I told you the needful.... Una for ban me forever, who cares?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by kettykings: 7:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
klax:

You are very stupid thunder fire you for that statement. Biko I repeat again thunder fire you that is why igbo can not be anything in Nigeria I'm not a yoruba ok my own papa and mana are real igbo to the core but just don't take my cool the way we Brags and chest beating with no sense

Nwanne I repeat God punish you plus thunder fire you. Boasting in another man's land and the demon chasing a moral fu cker like you from your village never rest. I went to a village a week ago close to my papa village I was ashamed of what I saw heavy mansion only to be occupied by gate man, lizards, cocroaches and I asked where are these guys the answer is they are in Lagos, Abuja and yet want biafra infact I repeat thunder fire you.

For Linda Lagos govt should go after her she must pay no mercy ok get your tax from her or she pack and go back to her village shameless ass holes. Bloody morons who loves claiming another man's land and left their land like a jungle with nothing serious to point to. Fuckingly hide the shameless heads in Lagos Abuja Kaduna Kano Ibadan and want biafra and the idiot came here to talk nonsense, thunder fire you bloody he-goat.

Say whatever I don't give a damn.

Support igbos to leave for biafra and stop ranting
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by enilowo(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2015
kettykings:

please go back to your south east we will survive without you. stupid fool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by OBAGADAFFI: 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2015
Every business must pay tax, even road side mechanics, Tailor, saloon owners all pay their revenue to the nearest local government.

And if LI business is registered with the CAC she must remit certain tax to FIRS.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
papparatzzi2013:

You do not have to pay tax for owning a computer, but u are expected to pay tax on income generated using the computer.

That is your civic duty.
Don't get me wrong by thinking I do not know anything about paying tax. I have worked with blue chip companies and tax was deducted from my salary,I have also done business with federal govt and I payed my tax.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Kzeals: 8:47pm On Dec 19, 2015
Well, paying tax is the right of every individual as long as you are engage in any business activity in Nigeria from which you earn money. Taxation is tribal blind, it does not matter whether its you, LI or me. I think the govt shld start taxing them in nollywood. Not paying your tax is a crime,.... ask Wesley Snipes.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by seaga: 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2015
mavinc4u:
My question is does linda have Physical office or mobile office in Lagos. Please what has Lagos state done so far with the tax they collected from other people?

It doesn't matter as long as there is income, you have to pay tax accordingly, the more you earn, the more you pay.So tax payment is the law, irrespective of what it is used for
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2015
kiss
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by tefund(m): 9:37pm On Dec 19, 2015
, and conducting thanksgiving online for her fortune, which she claims did not come from the hand of any man?? cheesy[/quote]i doubt if all our money comes from blogging
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by EKELEONU(m): 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2015
I blame Linda. Even the trillonaire subsidy guys are so coded withtheir wealth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by victorjam(m): 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
pheliciti:

Better you use the time spent here to get an education. How can you comment about a subject you don't understand? Just spend the airtime on learning rather than commenting. Once you generate income from any activity that is not tax exempt and you are not tax exempt, then you must pay tax.

d fact of d matter is that i am more educated than you, thats undisputed.

by the way am only sayin that der is no blogger in Nigeria that pays tax and as such no one shuld crucify linda for not doin same. i believe that seun d owner of dis website doesnt pay tax, thats another undisputed fact. idi.ot
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
docadams:

I just tire for some people. As a civil servant, I pay about N600,000 per annum as tax.
Àbeg I be tax collector. I de come take this month's tax on behalf of government.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2015
Taking her to court amounts to nothing cos she can tell the court that she operates from Owerri and visits lagos on weekends.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by ernieboy(m): 9:54pm On Dec 19, 2015
AwiLand:

Why are they chasing that innocent hard working IGBO girl..... Federal Government made Dangote but still he does not pay Tax..... infact most of his importations are on waiver so why disturbing a self hustling girl....I have said it before, the hatred and Jealousy of Yorubas to Igbos have no Bound #fact
How do u know dangote does not pay tax? Besides there is no basis for comparing an entrepreneur who provides employment for others ( by the way his hundreds of employees pay tax too) to a gossip blogger.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Commentus2: 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
DikeOha882:
Taking her to court amounts to nothing cos she can tell the court that she operates from Owerri and visits lagos on weekends.
See logic!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

She go carry her Banana house go join to owerri

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Some folks sha always standing logic on its head grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Manspeaks(m): 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
Nairapeople:
Multi-millionaire blogger, Linda Ikeji is in a battle with the Lagos Inland Revenue Service over an alleged tax evasion and it is authoritative.
It was gathered that all attempts to track down the blogger started about a month ago when the agency got information that the blogger has not been remitting necessary taxes to the state government but all attempts by the service were said to have been
frustrated.
A source informed that at a time she was to be served a notice of tax assessment, her father who was to receive the letter allegedly declined to do so saying she could not receive such a notice on behalf of Linda.
On the second occasion, the delivery man was turned back on the excuse that no individual known as Linda Ikeji was resident at the address traced to her business.
The agency however got their way last week as she was said to have been served at her new mansion in highbrow Banana Island while the inland revenue equally made a video and photo evidences to support the service.
A very reliable source at the tax office informed News of the People that checks conducted on the blogger revealed that she had only paid (N4,000) four thousand naira ever as tax to the state government.
At the moment LIRS is said to be requesting for her tax assessment of personal income with a caveat that failure to do so may compel them to proceed to court for a criminal proceedings.

It was hinted that if the blogger refuses to respond to the request of the inland revenue, the agency shall be forced to drag her to court to face the music.
When the blogger was contacted on the issue by this medium, she neither responded non acknowledged the message sent to her.

http://www.newsofthepeople-ng.com/blogger-linda-ikeji-in-trouble-with-lirs/

A particular issue raised by a source was the withholding tax ought to have been paid to the state government on the 600 million naira property she recently acquired which may amount to about 30 million naira only.

She is not responsible here. The seller is to withhold the amount and not the buyer.
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2015
She can pay for the property tax but not for income tax
Commentus2:
Se logic!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

he go her Banana house go join to owerri

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Some folks sha always standing logic on its head grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by wristbangle: 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2015
Nubian113:

Holla at me on my hotmail hun can't access pms here smiley

Ur mail pls! Miss u dear

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2015
wristbangle:

Ur mail pls! Miss u dear

Nuffing there angry

Mish u too grin
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by wristbangle: 10:21pm On Dec 19, 2015
Nubian113:

Nuffing there angry

Mish u too grin

How am I gonna get ur contact?
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by docadams: 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Àbeg I be tax collector. I de come take this month's tax on behalf of government.

Hmmmmmmm

Remember say no be only failure to pay tax be crime o. Double taxation na worse crime.

On a serious note, if govt punishes tax defaulters who, then, sanctions the govt for multiple and/or over taxation?
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:33pm On Dec 19, 2015
Na court na. Abi govt na person name?
docadams:

Hmmmmmmm

Remember say no be only failure to pay tax be crime o. Double taxation na worse crime.

On a serious note, if govt punishes tax defaulters who, then, sanctions the govt for multiple and/or over taxation?
Re: Lagos Government After Linda Ikeji Over Tax Evasion by niceangel: 10:40pm On Dec 19, 2015
In as much I am not in support of linda evading tax. But all the comments here has ethnic colouration and beef. Before any tribe tin I am a Nigerian. Before being a Nigerian I am human. But here ..if u breath they will say u breath that way because u are omo nna. LI should grow up .success comes with beef and pomo. My guys success no be juju. Some people believe that when u start getting six in a ludo game na juju.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fanyi, Barber Creates Davido's Face On Client's Head / More Photos Of Tonto Dikeh's Ex-Boyfriend, Enjoyment Minister Aka Mr Coolwater / Father Of Two Slams Chacha Eke Over Crashed Marriage & Domestic Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.