Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,761 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:29 AM

I Hate Being Smart! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Hate Being Smart! (18487 Views)

Reasons I Hate The Nigeria School System / I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student / Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by krak101(m): 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2016
You're smart... You can't change that but you sure can change your perspective about being smart. If I may ask... How smart do you think you are?
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by GospelNaija: 4:34pm On Jan 12, 2016
This post doesn't show smartness.

The smart A-graders in school actually turn out to be shapers and movers of the polity and society. School is actually boring for them.

Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs are all examples. The Linda Ikejis and Oprah Winfreys you mentioned are celebrities (who actually celebrate others) and not influencers. Their decision cannot change the price of garri in the market.

Dont mistake fame for influence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by whitecloth: 4:34pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:
Sometimes I just hate being smart. Being smart, getting A's in school will make you top your class and later provide you with a decent to very lucrative job that's just going to assure your future. nows today! sad sad

I so hate being smart! I wish I was a regular one that would have had to create something for herself. sad angry
I've been watching you for awhile on NL and your immense contributions to the mathematics section, thanks so much, that's why am forced to say something, I personally believe you are very brilliant but not that smart, and if you believe you're smart I think its time you start taking on the challenges of life and tackling it in a more creative way, bringing out solution to life problems, sit down with your passion, bring out something concrete, you've watched movies where scientists sit down in there lab for days and months trying to solve a problem, I think its time you lock yourself in some where and bring out a solution or invention from it.
I wish to know you someday, what you have is a gift, Dont get bored of it.
Peace.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 12, 2016
Op, Book smart is not a yardstick to measure true smartness/intelligence, From you story I can deduct you only have retentive memory smartness not intelligence, book smart would earn you stable income but real intelligence would get you rich and wealthy.

Example of book smart people, Bank managers, The big four managers, lecturers, professors, teachers etc

Example of true smart people, Rothschild, Rockerfella, Bill gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg, Seun Osewa, Yahoo Yahoo boys/scam artists, politicians, Pastors, Entrepreneur etc

3 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by feran15(m): 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:
Sometimes I just hate being smart. Being smart, getting A's in school will make you top your class and later provide you with a decent to very lucrative job that's just going to assure your future. You won't be poor and you'll live a comfortable life. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder at how boring and mundane everything eventually becomes. sad sad angry

On the other hand, not getting all the A's and not topping your class will throw you out there, challenge you to dream big and force you to come up with a living that could probably break bounds, making you into a household name. Linda Ikeji, Toke Makinwa, Folorunsho Alakija, Oprah, these are people who certainly didn't get the best grades in school or studied the best courses at university, yet they shape and influence the polity more than the best graduating student in Electrical Engineering from the set 1985 in Unilag would ever do. And who's that best graduating student anways? I bet no one knows today! sad sad

I so hate being smart! I wish I was a regular one that would have had to create something for herself. sad angry

Being smart doesn't mean you cant do something worthwhile with your life. There are alot of smart people who got out and became something in life. The best graduating student is not known anymore because he was only good at getting high grades or he never plannedon doing anything other than get a job with his certificate. The people you mentioned above are only popular because they are doing what the know how to do and are doing it well with hard work and sweat put into it. You can become like them too if you have great ideas and know how to work on them.

If you have no ideas, you cant become something in life and as popular as you want to be. Find an idea or something you are passionate about or any ideas and work on it. But without it. You are just a regular person out there.

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mathschic,

everybody you mentioned up there are smart & innovative, or wouldn't have succeeded in life. Winfrey & co... You don't have to get As in the 4 walls of the classroom before you can be considered smart. Einstein, Robert Goddard,& a whole lot of great minds were all called acute idiöts at some point by their lecturers. As a matter of fact, studying & burning midnight candles would only make you book smart I.e being knowledgeable, and able to excel scholastically. But what use is all that when you can't even cook potatoes or fry eggs.

If you feel inhibited by western education, then you have to find a way to break those shackles & unlock your window of creativity.
Same goes to most science students - most just cram formulas 24/7 & are verbatim simulations of textbooks, yet you wonder why most Art students are said to possess higher IQs wink

book smart mixed with street smart & Vocational aptitude = Genius & Renaissance Man/Woman
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by feran15(m): 4:42pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:
Sometimes I just hate being smart. Being smart, getting A's in school will make you top your class and later provide you with a decent to very lucrative job that's just going to assure your future. You won't be poor and you'll live a comfortable life. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder at how boring and mundane everything eventually becomes. sad sad angry

On the other hand, not getting all the A's and not topping your class will throw you out there, challenge you to dream big and force you to come up with a living that could probably break bounds, making you into a household name. Linda Ikeji, Toke Makinwa, Folorunsho Alakija, Oprah, these are people who certainly didn't get the best grades in school or studied the best courses at university, yet they shape and influence the polity more than the best graduating student in Electrical Engineering from the set 1985 in Unilag would ever do. And who's that best graduating student anways? I bet no one knows today! sad sad

Also it sounds like you just want fame
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by debque(m): 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
The this girl sha....you think because you are getting As in school or cos you know maths you are the smartest, lol, you ain't seen nothing girl cos you are far from it..You are also making reference to dem celebrities as if you are smarter than they her, bla bla..
..See ehn real life is different from school so wait till you v finished and have conquered all odds and then, you won't need to announce to the world cos your works would have done so for you.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2016
Dis is d dumbest article i've read dis year...Wole Soyinka may not be rich but his status commands respect...

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 12, 2016
mordtonia:
Dear OP, this thread you opened just showed you're actually dumb and naive.
Easy on her with your badmouthing smartness. Must you insult her? You only giving other people reasons to accept her being smarter than you.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 12, 2016
Um

This is such an odd and self serving topic. Smart people are people....... In the end one's life trajectory isn't really decided by their intelligence. At least not that alone.

I think the key is to not question those things. It's like a gorgeous person wondering "how the other side lives" what it's like to be ugly.
God made you the way you are, just live your life and be the best you can be. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by stonemasonn: 4:52pm On Jan 12, 2016
OP, learn German and Chinese, study advance mathematics, astrology, metaphysics and learn computer algorithms and a programming language. After that you write a book.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by gbens2000(m): 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2016
Me I just want to marry dat is if u are still single.am serious
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by remebombom: 5:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:

those pple u mentioned are not dull pple, u nd a smart mind to b able to come up with smthing dt'd b lucrative and legit. U nd dt smartness u have if u really wnt to be a household name. It's nt compulsory u work for sm1. D sky is ur stage, fly as high and far as u wnt!
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by 989900: 5:18pm On Jan 12, 2016
@OP: First look up the word "smart".

Apparently, you don't know what it means.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Forwetinnah: 5:59pm On Jan 12, 2016
safarigirl:
People will just come here o be abusing terms

So because you know book in your field of study and are getting A's, you're smart. Yet, it's one primary school dropout that will scam you when you enter market

Some people need to get over themselves, ain't no smart person whining about being smart.

Safari-geeeh has spoken!! I trust grin

@MathsChic, Make i drop one Fluid Mechanics kweshun for you..just one, weda you no go piss! You need to come off your high horse!!

2 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Christmasdon(m): 6:00pm On Jan 12, 2016
Op, i know your problems, is like liverpool football club, they play very well queens footballing ,buh! Yet they end up average. I know your problem,too well. I fix this kinds of problems thru counselling.mentoring.etc
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by soflygerian(m): 6:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
Being a geek can really isolate you from social life.. I must confess I found it hard to cope until I stumbled upon a book titled "WHY A' STUDENTS WORK FOR C' STUDENTS" and so I am now able to balance academics plus social life..
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2016
aaronson:
Easy on her with your badmouthing smartness. Must you insult her? You only giving other people reasons to accept her being smarter than you.

I am just being blunt, and I never said I was smart.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2016
mordtonia:

I am just being blunt, and I never said I was smart.
i never said you smart either but sarcasm for you not to badmouth people on the web.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
aaronson:
i never said you smart either but sarcasm for you not to badmouth people on the web.

It's not badmouth, it's me giving my honest opinion. Enjoy the rest of your day Sir.

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by omohayek: 7:27pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:

No matter how smart you think you are, there are vast numbers of people out there who will put you to shame. Even restricting oneself to mathematics, do you really think you can compare yourself with the likes of the following?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiran_Kedlaya

Could you even solve a single problem in a typical Putnam competition, let alone all of them? Here, go ahead and give it a try!

http://kskedlaya.org/putnam-archive/2015.pdf

If you're bored, that says more about you and your environment than it does about any burden being "smart" supposedly imposes on people. There is no shortage of interesting and deeply challenging problems out there in need of people with sufficient intelligence to provide insight into them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

Go ahead then, start proving them and make more money than the likes of Linda Ikeji will ever earn in their lifetimes!

Of course, an alternative hypothesis worth considering is that you really are nowhere nearly as smart as you think you are, and in reality are just a larger than average goldfish living in a tiny fishbowl, who mistakes her cramped confines for an ocean ...

3 Likes

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 12, 2016
mordtonia:

It's not badmouth, it's me giving my honest opinion. Enjoy the rest of your day Sir.
Honest or blunt, just learn not to loose it online because face to face in reality you would never dare to be blunt with same people for their opinion. Nice day too.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by PasNina(m): 7:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
[quote author=MathsChic post=41279804]
Hahaha. Well, I never schooled in Nigeria to start with. So, awry goes your theory!
I concur with you on the purported awry theory; but your schooling abroad should not be a yardstick for your resonated "smartness".
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 12, 2016
aaronson:
Honest or blunt, just learn not to loose it online because face to face in reality you would never dare to be blunt with same people for their opinion. Nice day too.

What I do offline you don't know, what I do online is none of your business. Kindly keep your advise to yourself I'm tired of your mentions. I will no longer exalt you with a reply.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2016
aaronson:

You obviously don't even know the meaning of 'lose it'. What I do offline you don't know, what I do online is none of your business. Kindly keep your advise to yourself. I'm tired of your mentions & will no longer exalt you by reading them.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2016
mordtonia:

You obviously don't even know the meaning of 'lose it'. What I do offline you don't know, what I do online is none of your business. Kindly keep your advise to yourself. I'm tired of your mentions & will no longer exalt you by reading them.
And you starting to loose it on me, you need to visit a therapist pretty soon, Bipolar is serious mental disorder.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by JayRise(m): 8:15pm On Jan 12, 2016
@mathschic, I think you mean the difference between SCHOOL SMARTs and STREET SMARTs. While one is about impart, the other is about impact. But all the same, you do not really need to have regrets about being smart in school as that doesn't decrease your chances of survival after leaving school.

If you are really determined to be useful with the knowlege you have, then you'll find yourself becoming STREET SMART even without trying. You can become successful too, but know this. Only your practice will make you perfect. Go out, create something useful and show the world what you've got. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: I Hate Being Smart! by kateskitty(f): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2016
If you hate being smart then that only means you are dummer than you think, no offense. grin

Use your smartness to your advantage, that's real smartness. If other people are telling you this then clearly you ain't that smart.
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by agentofchange1(m): 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
omohayek:

No matter how smart you think you are, there are vast numbers of people out there who will put you to shame. Even restricting oneself to mathematics, do you really think you can compare yourself with the likes of the following?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiran_Kedlaya

Could you even solve a single problem in a typical Putnam competition, let alone all of them? Here, go ahead and give it a try!

http://kskedlaya.org/putnam-archive/2015.pdf

If you're bored, that says more about you and your environment than it does about any burden being "smart" supposedly imposes on people. There is no shortage of interesting and deeply challenging problems out there in need of people with sufficient intelligence to provide insight into them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

Go ahead then, start proving them and make more money than the likes of Linda Ikeji will ever earn in their lifetimes!

Of course, an alternative hypothesis worth considering is that you really are nowhere nearly as smart as you think you are, and in reality are just a larger than average goldfish living in a tiny fishbowl, who mistakes her cramped confines for an ocean ...

hmm....tnx..for sharing the Putnam link....av..searching 4 it....kindly..share others .. tnx..
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by emperor94(m): 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2016
folks be whining and having migraine over a chick who says she's smart. I mean u and am no dey the same class for school nah, u gotta believe her, thats called benefit of the doubt. ANYWYZZZ... our prob 4 this country shaa pass what a smart chic has to say 'bout herself, so its cool to pour all the frustration on her. @OP, i believe you're smart and all, i mean few pple could be smart enough to be 'braggadocios' bout it. As for those people you mentioned, they had a dream and they pursued it, and believe me that takes a lot of smartness. So, if you have a dream, go for it, that way u wud be smart2 wink grin
Re: I Hate Being Smart! by vislabraye(m): 10:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:

Pretend to be dumb that's if you are not grin .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Resumption From Oau Mid Semester Break / Students Hang On Trucks In Delta To Transport Themselves To School / UK: Schools In Leeds Lockdown After Threatening E-mails To Staff, Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.