Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? (22064 Views)

Face ID Vs Fingerprint: Which Is More Secure? / Why Pattern Locks Are Not Secure On Android And The Best Alternatives / How To Bypass/unlock Android’s Lock Screen Pattern, PIN Or Password 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by babafirst(m): 12:31pm On Dec 21, 2015
donhils:

Your phone is S6 or S6 Edge right? Now apart from locking your phone, can you also select some apps and lock them with that same finger print?
Yes it is a galaxy S6 edge.Yes it can lock some apps and web accounts but you have to enter ur username and password for web accounts that SUPPORT fingerprint recognition.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Mishydoo(m): 12:33pm On Dec 21, 2015
WHO PATTERN OR PIN LOCK DON HELP? undecided
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Maycher(m): 12:39pm On Dec 21, 2015
donhils:

You mean noisy places?
No, quiet places. Imagine shouting/saying "unlock/whatever your voice prompt is" in a place as quiet as the library.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by martinlooter(m): 1:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
I still like my pattern unlock, cos it gives me an option to either make it visible or not, so when the pattern is invisible, no matter how much you look the movement of my finger, you can never fathom the crosses I've made in such split second.
See a screenshoot of my phone setting option.

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Elxandre(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sijo01:
I use both. Pin for the screen and pattern lock for applications.
The skeleton in your cupboards go full one haulage truck grin
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Electronzeez(m): 1:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
donhils:

Pin is not a form of password. Pin is pin, password is password. Pin uses only numbers while with password, you can have an alphanumeric combination or only alphabets as you wish.
For me I prefer pin. Patterns are just so annoying to draw atimes. But I'll easily choose a one time fingerprint scanner over all of them .

You are correct sir , can't the word password be used as a general term ?, I could not get another word suitable when i gave that reply .
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Electronzeez(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2015
martinlooter:
I still like my pattern unlock, cos it gives me an option to either make it visible or not, so when the pattern is invisible, no matter how much you look the movement of my finger, you can never fathom the crosses I've made in such split second.
See a screenshoot of my phone setting option.

I don't need to look at the movement of your finger but the oil track on your screen . cool
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by charlsecy(m): 2:42pm On Dec 21, 2015
greenhulk:
What's the difference between pin and password...
I think PIN is numeric, while password is alphanumeric.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
charlsecy:
I think PIN is numeric, while password is alphanumeric.

Thanks. The op already modified his topic, he initially wrote pin vs password.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by timbros(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
babafirst:
The pin has about 10000 options from 0-9,the pattern has about 100 but there are only ten fingers/options(and the options are further reduced if you have been monitored by a determined wife,husband,girl friend,boyfriend or kid).Just a deep sleep and your finger can be placed on the scanner.Now what if you are knocked cold by an assailant?He now has enough time to test all your fingers.

You certainly have a point there. But when a situation gets to getting knocked out cold by an assailant just to access your device, then you know that the person is REALLY after you. The information he/she is looking for is worth more in value than the device itself.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Decibel: 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2015
vizier007:
@Op you are right.. although I have seen some crazy patterns but the PIN lock still remains the best cos there are actually 10,000 possible combinations for 0 - 9 when using 4 digits pin..
nobody would want to go through that stress ( most ppl will give up after trying for more than five times )..

Actually, it should be 210 possible combinations that's 10Cr4.

Meaning that the intruder has to unlock it when he must have tried it 210 times.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by dhummystecah(f): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2015
Maycher:

Voice unlock can't be used everywhere. Especially in quiet places
That's true sha
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by teehef: 3:37pm On Dec 21, 2015
A Silver Corolla 2004 model with plate number KUJ 181 HN (abuja) was stolen on Sunday at Ilupeju. Please call 08098980717 if you have any information that can help find it
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by sunnyeinstein(m): 4:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
timbros:
Finger print scanner is the most secure.
Xhaka:

I support you, surely it is the most secured kiss

Hmmmm, bt wen bae/boo wakes in d midnyt and scan ur hand while asleep... all ur dirty cloth wey u hide inside dat fone na 5am u go see all of dem for floor! cheesy
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by benebaby77: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
Electronzeez:

Most finger print scanner phone has a PIN lock as a second option . for example if you place a wrong finger on my phone three times it automatically tell you to input a PIN lock.

Long time bro.

If it's PIN lock option then it is safe..

Anyway, I prefer the PIN lock to pattern lock by dint of being safer.

It will be easier to master one's patter draw lock than PIN lock....

But I no dey use any forms of lock on my phone.

Yes, it's been long bro... how have you been doing?

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by ola1982(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2015
Pin or pattern non of them is secure where finger print scanner is
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by benebaby77: 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2015
babafirst:
Lol again,apart from a back up password there is provision for more than one finger print to be added.All the 10 fingers can't get burnt nau.

If nah by that one you are safe...

but if nah only finger scanner, the things in below picture happen there are many things involved

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by molas02: 5:15pm On Dec 21, 2015
donhils:

And what if the person is not in Wafe where you hack everything? Plus are you even sure you can hack finger print scanner?
Na dere mak u seat......finger print lock depend od d device been schematic on, bro except Volch and hightech comp system, bro 4get
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by vizier007(m): 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2015
Decibel:

Actually, it should be 210 possible combinations that's 10Cr4.

Meaning that the intruder has to unlock it when he must have tried it 210 times.
Thank you
nope, you are getting it wrong. you can repeat each of the digits which means you have to use permutation without restrictions method......

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by paulkhalifa(m): 6:33pm On Dec 21, 2015
brute force (the enlightened will get wink )

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Sijo01(f): 6:37pm On Dec 21, 2015
bigass123:
I dey suspect you.. What are hiding inside the phone like that? You be 419 ni lipsrsealed
You better start talking now oh grin

Elxandre:

The skeleton in your cupboards go full one haulage truck grin

cheesy cheesy you both are clowns.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Sijo01(f): 6:38pm On Dec 21, 2015
Maycher:
Lol. same with me. But ehm, so you lock your apps?
Yes, I do. Message, contact n gallery inclusive.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Xhaka(m): 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2015
sunnyeinstein:

Hmmmm, bt wen bae/boo wakes in d midnyt and scan ur hand while asleep... all ur dirty cloth wey u hide inside dat fone na 5am u go see all of dem for floor! cheesy
grin Me sef go compose when i know say i dey flirt na
She nogo get that chance at all
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Elxandre(m): 6:56pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sijo01:

cheesy cheesy you both are clowns.
Lol...
Who locks both apps and phone itself except they have too many things to hide? grin
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Elxandre(m): 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sijo01:

Yes, I do. Message, contact n gallery inclusive.
I can perceive contraband pictures in that gallery shocked grin
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Sijo01(f): 7:06pm On Dec 21, 2015
Elxandre:

I can perceive contraband pictures in that gallery shocked grin

Come to thing of it. I really don't have anything incriminating on it o. I nor just know why I dey lock the phone sef.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by timbros(m): 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2015
sunnyeinstein:

LOL...

I'm married though and I got nothing to hide from wifey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Xhaka(m): 7:10pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sijo01:

Come to thing of it. I really don't have anything incriminating on it o. I nor just know why I dey lock the phone sef.
True, but there comes a stage you'll have no other choice than to lock it
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Sijo01(f): 7:10pm On Dec 21, 2015
Elxandre:

Lol...
Who locks both apps and phone itself except they have too many things to hide? grin

Nothing to hide at all.
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by sixtusjr(m): 7:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
Picture password

1 Like

Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by Decibel: 7:44pm On Dec 21, 2015
vizier007:

nope, you are getting it wrong. you can repeat each of the digits which means you have to use permutation without restrictions method......

Remember that there's a difference between selection(combination) and arrangement (permutation).

Your last statement betrays your submission wink
Re: Pin Or Pattern-Lock, Which Is More Secure On Android? by vizier007(m): 8:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
Decibel:

Remember that there's a difference between selection(combination) and arrangement (permutation).

Your last statement betrays your submission wink
seems you are not getting me.. it's an arrangement..
let's say you have four different pots (each of the four digits of the pin) and 10 possible objects ( each digit that u can input )..
it means the first pot can contain 10, since repetition is allowed, the second pot will contain 10 too, same for the 3rd and 4th pots...
therefore the number of possible arrangements/key combinations is still 10^4 = 10000.....

maybe it's because I used the word "combination" . the pin is a form of arrangement in the sense that you will need to arrange the numbers in a specific order.. like 1456 or 1111, etc.

I guess you should ask other people but 10,000 is a #fact confirmed by many security companies. .... you can check online for articles relating to using pin as a security measure. ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans / Garmin Nigeria Topographical And Street Maps / The Top 8 Budget Smartphones For 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.