Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,049 members, 7,818,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job (21166 Views)

5 Reason Why Freelancing Is Better Than A Full-time Job - Nigeriaonlinebusiness / Should I Quit My Part-Time Job? / 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by nmreports: 4:11am On Dec 24, 2015
Nice one Techy gurl.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 9:14am On Dec 25, 2015
Victosin09:
Bravo misstechy! I just went through your blog now. You just spurred my long desire in creating a blog on a subject I'm passionate about...I'll print a copy of thi and strategize on my plans. Hope to share success story soon.

OMG thank you, I can't wait to see yours, please do let me know when the blog is up.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 9:14am On Dec 25, 2015
nmreports:
Nice one Techy gurl.

Thank you smiley
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by nmreports: 9:30am On Dec 25, 2015
MissTechy:

Thank you smiley

Can I meet with you please?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by PhoneGist(m): 1:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
Misstechy, your post helped me a real lot .. God bless you. Front page worthy cc @lalasticlala
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by agabaI23(m): 3:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
Misstechy
Can you pm me?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by PhoneGist(m): 4:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
agabaI23:
Misstechy
Can you pm me?

Why

2 Likes

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by egwimp: 4:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
tanks for giving me the courage to start and know what to expect.I rily needed this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by 2el(m): 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:
Apologies for the epistle

how much do u earn from blogging ??
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MrMcJay(m): 4:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
Misstechy, nice write-up.

However, I'll like to ask a question.

"Don't you think the acquisition of Misstechy by AMW would limit your long-term strategic influence over your startup?"
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Orikinla(m): 4:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
Well done. There is going to be social media boom in 2016 for Nigerian bloggers. And we need more bloggers , especially mommy bloggers who are still missing among the more than 67 million Nigerians on the internet.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by agabaI23(m): 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
PhoneGist:

Why
lol
If she is your girlfriend, you don't need to worry. Tell her to pm me or you can discourage her.
The earlier the better.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Aldavin80(m): 4:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy, your post was informative . Nice one. Do you mind giving me tips on how to set up a blog? I know many people will be inclined to say Google is your friend, hell, you learnt a lot from Google yourself but I think you will have a better way to share your experiences. Thank you
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Milo30(m): 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
I read every word and licked the plate. Your head dey there! May God bless your hustle even more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by lolaxavier(m): 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2015
Misstechy, all these guys are not asking you the right questions. Are you SINGLE? If yes, then your prayers have finally been answered on the verge of leaping into the new year because Lolaxavier is single too. grin grin grin

So which way now? cheesy

For the record, that's an awesome blog.

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
MrMcJay:
Misstechy, nice write-up.

However, I'll like to ask a question.

"Don't you think the acquisition of Misstechy by AMW would limit your long-term strategic influence over your startup?"

There was an errorr in that article, i am in the process of sending them a press release to dat effect, amw did not acquire misstechy, amw only bought a small stake in misstechy, and i also have the right to take back my stake if the deals re not met
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by KomradeKorsche: 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2015
Misstechy whats ur page views like?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
Aldavin80:
MissTechy, your post was informative . Nice one. Do you mind giving me tips on how to set up a blog? I know many people will be inclined to say Google is your friend, hell, you learnt a lot from Google yourself but I think you will have a better way to share your experiences. Thank you

I could tutor u a bit. You can send me an email where i could detail everything,

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 30, 2015
Miss Techy please what does your job basically entail as a digital strategist?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
dumo1:
Miss Techy please what does your job basically entail as a digital strategist?

I am in charge of thinking of strategies for A brand and implementing those strategies. For example, the pepsi long throat campaign on social media and other online platform is done by a digital strategist

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Dmayor7(m): 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:

I could tutor u a bit. You can send me an email where i could detail everything,

Yeah,

Also you can use my free and well detailed guide in leading him hand in hand.

Check it out here and tell me what you think
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by KingEbukaNaija: 4:41pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:
As seen on MissTechy

I survived, thanks to the fact that I was passionate, knew how to manage my time and made SMART goals.

Hehe, anyway, by SMART, I mean your goals must be:

Specific: What exactly do you want? The more specific you are, the more likely you are to achieve your goals.

Measurable: How will you track your progress?

Attainable: Ensure you are setting a goal that is attainable, an unattainable goal is wanting your blog to grow like Linda Ikeji’s in a month.

Realistic: How ready are you to take the necessary steps to achieve this goal?

Time-Bound: You should always ensure your goals are timely. I wanted to acquire Google Adsense in the first month and I did.

Choi ! TMC 411 grin . Proud to know an Eagle owns Miss Techy
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Jarus(m): 4:42pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:
As seen on MissTechy

I am not sure how many of you know this, but when I started MissTechy earlier this year, I was working as a Digital Strategist at one of the top digital agencies in Nigeria. During this phase, It wasn’t easy, but with determination, passion, consistency, hard work and most importantly the God factor, I was able to survive.

HOW I STARTED MISSTECHY

I have always been a techy by default (Thank you Google), as a matter of fact, back in my university days, if there was something wrong with your laptop and you couldn’t fix it yourself, Tobi Ayeni might be your best bet. But it was until January 2015 that I decided to create MissTechy.

I started with the design (P.S MissTechy’s header was designed by me, I couldn’t afford a graphic designer), downloaded a free theme and even learnt a bit of coding (I love you Google) to fix some things I didn’t like.

During the period of designing & creating, my weekends were the best days because I could fully work on Misstechy without my job interfering. So I used it well and got my blog up on the 9th of February.

For those who don’t know, this is how my blog looked like when I first started.

MY BUSY SCHEDULE

Before I started, I kinda believed that It wouldn’t be soooo difficult, boy was I wrong! Due to the nature of my Job, I mostly had time for Misstechy in the wee hours of the morning, usually before 8 am. If you’ve been following MissTechy then, you will remember that during this period, I was only able to post 1-2 articles per day.

My schedule was simple, wake up really early, find an interesting post, go to work, come back in the evening usually by 7 -8 ish (sometimes 11 pm), look for something to post, then follow that cycle the next day.

ROAD BLOCK: SOMETHING’S GOTTA GIVE
However, despite my effort, I wasn’t getting great results. Also, due to an illness back then, I alienated myself from my friends who could have helped me with a RT or pushed my blog on social media. Finally, my divided attention was beginning to tell on my work performance.

So, I reduced the number of posts I did to 1, then relied on Facebook ads for the first month, but stopped after I realized that the people who came through Facebook ads hardly returned the next day. (I still needed to use my money to bring them back and I was in my Ojuelegba zone).

HOW I FOUND A BALANCE

The truth is, not everybody will have the type of job that requires you being online all the time, but I had and I used it to my advantage – for every time I was less busy in the office and during lunch breaks, I’d ensure I got more stories to post.

Another thing that helped me was my consistent article pattern, I found a pattern that was easy and short, with it, I could read a new story, understand it and try to make it interesting without breaking a sweat.

Also, God brought me readers like you who could make me smile with their comments, honestly, your comments made everything worthwhile.

Finally, the fact that I was super passionate about technology ensured I didn’t throw in the towel even when the going got tough. It wasn’t easy, but I was very passionate and I had a goal, I wanted to get MissTechy out there and I was willing to lose sleep and work extra hard to see that my goals were achieved.

DID I ACHIEVE MY GOALS?

My answer:

I haven’t achieved everything in my book, but I haven’t lost focus either.

LESSON LEARNT.

I survived, thanks to the fact that I was passionate, knew how to manage my time and made SMART goals.

Hehe, anyway, by SMART, I mean your goals must be:

Specific: What exactly do you want? The more specific you are, the more likely you are to achieve your goals.

Measurable: How will you track your progress?

Attainable: Ensure you are setting a goal that is attainable, an unattainable goal is wanting your blog to grow like Linda Ikeji’s in a month.

Realistic: How ready are you to take the necessary steps to achieve this goal?

Time-Bound: You should always ensure your goals are timely. I wanted to acquire Google Adsense in the first month and I did.

I am going to end with this: If someone says it’s going to be easy, BIG LIE!! It is going to be really hard, but if a smallie like me can survive this, You can!! You should also remember that you have the ability to get to where you want to, but it is up to you to get there. Finally, find a balance that suits you and ensure whatever you are doing is fun.

There you have it, really long, but I hope you can learn a thing or two from it.

Hi I read here that your blog was acquired in June by a former VP at Konga

http://techcabal.com/2015/08/03/anozim-acquires-nigerian-female-focused-tech-blog-misstechy/

Is this true?

Also, I can see that your Alexa rating is circa 110k globally and around 960 in Nigeria. This is impressive for a new blog. How do you promote your blog? Where do you get most traffic? Did you do an sponsored social media post?

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2015
Jarus:

Hi I read here that your blog was acquired in June by a former VP at Konga

http://techcabal.com/2015/08/03/anozim-acquires-nigerian-female-focused-tech-blog-misstechy/

Is this true?

No it isnt, they didnt acquire misstechy.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2015
KingEbukaNaija:

Choi ! TMC 411 grin . Proud to know an Eagle owns Miss Techy

Hehehe all hail the king of Hebron

2 Likes

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Mayfrank(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Tobi Ayeni is a wonderful person. Her efforts and persistence inspire many including myself. I know I would have quit blogging months ago if I didn't come across Misstechy.

When I was on the verge of quitting, I found Misstechy. It was the best tech blog ever. Then I went further to Check it on Alexa and I was shocked at what I saw. She had only started this wonderful blog this year February.

Misstechy challenged me to pursue my passion and challenge my limits. I am proud to say that I am where I am today because of Tobi Ayeni.

Nerdslot.com remains indebted to you.

2 Likes

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MrMcJay(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:

There was an errorr in that article, i am in the process of sending them a press release to dat effect, amw did not acquire misstechy, amw only bought a small stake in misstechy, and i also have the right to take back my stake if the deals re not met

Excellent! As a lawyer, I think you were properly advised cos I have seen many startups falling into that acquisition trap.

Whatever you do, never release more than 51% of your shares. Thank me later.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Jarus(m): 4:45pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:

No it isnt, they didnt acquire misstechy.

So that news was false?

Also, I can see that your Alexa rating is circa 110k globally and around 960 in Nigeria. This is impressive for a new blog. How do you promote your blog? Where do you get most traffic? Did you do an sponsored social media post?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
MrMcJay:

Excellent! As a lawyer, I think you were properly advised cos I have seen many startups falling into that acquisition trap.

Whatever you do, never release more than 51% of your shares. Thank me later.

Thank you so much for this free advice.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
Jarus:

So that news was false?

Id rather say it was misconstrued. I guess another party intentionally did that, but all that will be sorted shortly

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Jarus(m): 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2015
MissTechy:

Id rather say it was miscontrued. I guess another party intentionally did that, but all that will be sorted shortly

Thanks. How about answer to this:

I can see that your Alexa rating is circa 110k globally and around 960 in Nigeria. This is impressive for a new blog. How do you promote your blog? Where do you get most traffic? Did you do an sponsored social media post?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
i wish ure a muslim so my broda would marry u.ure a piece of gem a lady every man would wish to have beauty plus brains.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Places To Work If You Want Access To Drive Different Cars Daily / Bad Office Habits That Will Guarantee Getting You FIRED! / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.