Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,927 members, 7,828,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job (21175 Views)

5 Reason Why Freelancing Is Better Than A Full-time Job - Nigeriaonlinebusiness / Should I Quit My Part-Time Job? / 2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 2:13am On Dec 31, 2015
MissTechy:

And like i always tell people, being a girl doesnt guarantee anything, if i copied and pasted and didnt find means of having a good content strategy, i could only retain their attention but for a moment after which they will never come back. It is very difficult to retain an individual's attention, trust me
More power to you. Hopefully, you'll soon be swimming in millions.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by aywhy93(m): 5:29am On Dec 31, 2015
MissTechy ... Guess you need to see this, you've been changing and touching lives unknowingly ! Kudos!

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by krystal101(f): 7:13am On Dec 31, 2015
Misstechy, how were you able to get Google adsense in a month?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by kayus4luv2(m): 8:03am On Dec 31, 2015
I love miss techy my favourite tech addict smiley

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Donald3d(m): 8:31am On Dec 31, 2015
PhonePlanet:

Donald grin its karo! The guy you met at college hall...I see your movements...
I dont know wat u saying mehn,i have being in the states for two years mehn,what is college hall mehn,bruh bruh bruh, how you dey na,
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Bossken(m): 8:54am On Dec 31, 2015
I was touched with ur post. Nice one. Pls get to me through my mail - babekeny@gmail.com
I want to learn some things from you as regards coding.
Thanks
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 31, 2015
MissTechy:

Hehe, anyway, by SMART, I mean your goals must be:

Specific: What exactly do you want? The more specific you are, the more likely you are to achieve your goals.

Measurable: How will you track your progress?

Attainable: Ensure you are setting a goal that is attainable, an unattainable goal is wanting your blog to grow like Linda Ikeji’s in a month.

Realistic: How ready are you to take the necessary steps to achieve this goal?

Time-Bound: You should always ensure your goals are timely. I wanted to acquire Google Adsense in the first month and I did.

Nice One MissTechy
Grabbed something
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by PhonePlanet(m): 10:55am On Dec 31, 2015
Donald3d:
I dont know wat u saying mehn,i have being in the states for two years mehn,what is college hall mehn,bruh bruh bruh, how you dey na,
I dey o...since your mtn don block our way
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 11:21am On Dec 31, 2015
aywhy93:
MissTechy ... Guess you need to see this, you've been changing and touching lives unknowingly ! Kudos!

cry Good tears. Thanks soo much

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 11:23am On Dec 31, 2015
krystal101:
Misstechy, how were you able to get Google adsense in a month?

I followed the rules, for google to grant u adsense, u must have some things in place, i.e. the number of posts and others things
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by mubitechnology: 3:45pm On Dec 31, 2015
missTechy is right, if you fellow the rules of Google, your Adsense application will be approved, I have been blogging since early 2013, but I have any never applied for Adsense until early this month, and I was approved, it is just simple, fellow google rules and you will get it ,

misstechy do you accept guest post on you blog
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2015
MissTechy:

For the first month, i relied on ads, but like i said in my post, facebook ads wasnt giving me the result i needed so i tried using Wom (world of mouth) and i guess my content strategy worked well for me
miss techy can u pls expanitiate on WOM,,,word of mouth,,,i need to implement ds strategy
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Otsealu1(f): 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2015
After going through this, it opened my eyes on areas where I've been getting it wrong and I've made up my mind to be more specific when making decisions on anything. Thanks a lot sweet

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 01, 2016
MissTechy:
Apologies for the epistle
Misstechy it seems I misplaced your contact, please message me on whatsapp so we can reconnect 08168097193 #JayTheWebExpert
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by RobinHez(m): 10:52am On Jan 01, 2016
Godwin10:

It will still affect you, this is book work, not a job. smiley
tongue

barnacle:
you could make blogging your passion with Godwin10 help. i dont mind helping you with articles
Thanks jare..I'll consider. smiley
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by Nobody: 4:52am On Jan 02, 2016
MissTechy:

I am in charge of thinking of strategies for A brand and implementing those strategies. For example, the pepsi long throat campaign on social media and other online platform is done by a digital strategist

I am proud of you Miss Techy do keep up the good work and never relent even though it's not easy sometimes. You will be great one day. it starts from humble beginnings such as this.
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 6:34am On Jan 02, 2016
dumo1:

I am proud of you Miss Techy do keep up the good work and never relent even though it's not easy sometimes. You will be great one day. it starts from humble beginnings such as this.

Thank you so much, amen to that. nd happy new year
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by cyberwaver(m): 10:22am On Jan 02, 2016
MissTechy:

I followed the rules, for google to grant u adsense, u must have some things in place, i.e. the number of posts and others things
Tobi why are you not showing ads on your blog?
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by techfect: 3:07am On Feb 07, 2016
Meet Tobi Ayeni (MISSTECHY) - Top Nigeria's Female Tech Blogger

http://techfect.com/meet-tobi-ayeni-misstechy-top-nigerias-female-tech-blogger.html

1 Like

Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by matrixx9(m): 9:39pm On Jun 06, 2016
MissTechy:
As seen on MissTechy

I am not sure how many of you know this, but when I started MissTechy earlier this year, I was working as a Digital Strategist at one of the top digital agencies in Nigeria. During this phase, It wasn’t easy, but with determination, passion, consistency, hard work and most importantly the God factor, I was able to survive.

HOW I STARTED MISSTECHY

I have always been a techy by default (Thank you Google), as a matter of fact, back in my university days, if there was something wrong with your laptop and you couldn’t fix it yourself, Tobi Ayeni might be your best bet. But it was until January 2015 that I decided to create MissTechy.

I started with the design (P.S MissTechy’s header was designed by me, I couldn’t afford a graphic designer), downloaded a free theme and even learnt a bit of coding (I love you Google) to fix some things I didn’t like.

During the period of designing & creating, my weekends were the best days because I could fully work on Misstechy without my job interfering. So I used it well and got my blog up on the 9th of February.

For those who don’t know, this is how my blog looked like when I first started.

MY BUSY SCHEDULE

Before I started, I kinda believed that It wouldn’t be soooo difficult, boy was I wrong! Due to the nature of my Job, I mostly had time for Misstechy in the wee hours of the morning, usually before 8 am. If you’ve been following MissTechy then, you will remember that during this period, I was only able to post 1-2 articles per day.

My schedule was simple, wake up really early, find an interesting post, go to work, come back in the evening usually by 7 -8 ish (sometimes 11 pm), look for something to post, then follow that cycle the next day.

ROAD BLOCK: SOMETHING’S GOTTA GIVE
However, despite my effort, I wasn’t getting great results. Also, due to an illness back then, I alienated myself from my friends who could have helped me with a RT or pushed my blog on social media. Finally, my divided attention was beginning to tell on my work performance.

So, I reduced the number of posts I did to 1, then relied on Facebook ads for the first month, but stopped after I realized that the people who came through Facebook ads hardly returned the next day. (I still needed to use my money to bring them back and I was in my Ojuelegba zone).

HOW I FOUND A BALANCE

The truth is, not everybody will have the type of job that requires you being online all the time, but I had and I used it to my advantage – for every time I was less busy in the office and during lunch breaks, I’d ensure I got more stories to post.

Another thing that helped me was my consistent article pattern, I found a pattern that was easy and short, with it, I could read a new story, understand it and try to make it interesting without breaking a sweat.

Also, God brought me readers like you who could make me smile with their comments, honestly, your comments made everything worthwhile.

Finally, the fact that I was super passionate about technology ensured I didn’t throw in the towel even when the going got tough. It wasn’t easy, but I was very passionate and I had a goal, I wanted to get MissTechy out there and I was willing to lose sleep and work extra hard to see that my goals were achieved.

DID I ACHIEVE MY GOALS?

My answer:

I haven’t achieved everything in my book, but I haven’t lost focus either.

LESSON LEARNT.

I survived, thanks to the fact that I was passionate, knew how to manage my time and made SMART goals.

Hehe, anyway, by SMART, I mean your goals must be:

Specific: What exactly do you want? The more specific you are, the more likely you are to achieve your goals.

Measurable: How will you track your progress?

Attainable: Ensure you are setting a goal that is attainable, an unattainable goal is wanting your blog to grow like Linda Ikeji’s in a month.

Realistic: How ready are you to take the necessary steps to achieve this goal?

Time-Bound: You should always ensure your goals are timely. I wanted to acquire Google Adsense in the first month and I did.

I am going to end with this: If someone says it’s going to be easy, BIG LIE!! It is going to be really hard, but if a smallie like me can survive this, You can!! You should also remember that you have the ability to get to where you want to, but it is up to you to get there. Finally, find a balance that suits you and ensure whatever you are doing is fun.

There you have it, really long, but I hope you can learn a thing or two from it.
.. Nice one . MissTechy .. There's an important info I want to send to you via email.. What's your Email address..
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by MissTechy(f): 8:00am On Jun 07, 2016
matrixx9:
.. Nice one . MissTechy .. There's an important info I want to send to you via email.. What's your Email address..

info@misstechy .com smiley
Re: 2015 In Retrospect: How I Balanced Blogging And My Full Time Job by matrixx9(m): 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2016
MissTechy:

info@misstechy .com smiley
Email Sent.. CyberXchange 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bad Office Habits That Will Guarantee Getting You FIRED! / 6 Places To Work If You Want Access To Drive Different Cars Daily / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.