Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 (5269 Views)

I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari / Throwback Photo Of Buhari In Ogoniland In 1984 / Buhari Prays Inside The Holy Ka'aba In Mecca (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 11:59am On Dec 23, 2015
The Ka’aba is the holiest site in Islam. Muslims believe that it is the precise replica of God’s House on earth, a worldly representation of the Divine House in heaven. Also called Ka’aba Muazzama meaning the Grand Ka’aba, it is considered the House of God and doubles as the most sacred site in Islam anywhere in the world. Located at the very heart of the holiest mosque, the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the Ka’aba has captured the imaginations of billions across the globe and for billions of Muslims, it is a passionate wish and desire to touch or even enter the Ka’aba, which they face five times a day. The cubical building is very rarely opened but in 1984, the Saudis opened it for Muhammadu Buhari to enter and pray in it. Then the military head of state and the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Buhari was so warmly received by the Saudis that the memories of the visit still linger till date. This is the story of precisely what happened and the exclusive photos.

The Kaaba in the Masjid el Haram, Mecca, 2010.
THE HOLY OF HOLIES: The Kaaba in the Masjid el Haram, Mecca, 2010.
BACKGROUND TO THE VISIT

Buhari’s visit to the desert kingdom of Saudi Arabia in November 1984 was his very first visit outside Africa since taking over as the military head of state. He was in the country to observe his umrah (Lesser Pilgrimage). General Buhari had left Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital, where he attended the 20th summit of the heads of state and government of the Organization of African Unity (OAU).

ARRIVING SAUDI ARABIA

On the night of Thursday, the 15th of November, General Buhari arrived at the King Abdul Aziz International Airport, Jeddah. The time was fifteen minutes past midnight. On hand to receive him was Prince Abdul Majid Ibn Abdul Aziz, the Governor of Mecca, Sheikh Zaki Yamani, Saudi Arabia’s oil minister and other high-ranking government officials.

VISITING MEDINA

Medina (Madinah) is the second holiest site in Islam as it contains the Prophet’s Mosque. The next day, Buhari offered his Friday Jumuat prayers in Medina at the Prophet’s Mosque. He was also taken round on a ziyarah (tour) of the holy mosque. He visited and offered prayers at the graveside of Prophet Muhammad and that of Caliphs Abubakar and Umar. While doing these, he was accompanied by Sheikh Zaki Yamani and his two kids – Faisal Yamani (aged cool and Sharaf Yamani (aged 7) and the Muslim members of his entourage. Buhari was treated like a superstar in the kingdom and all his tours of the holy sites in Madinah were given a lot of publicity in the Saudi media with his photos splashed on all the newspapers and magazines. Everywhere he went, the red carpet was rolled out in his honour, all his paths were cleared by the police and enthusiastic crowds lined up the roads to wave to and welcome him. It was a grand affair.
http://.com/why-the-saudis-opened-the-holy-kaaba-for-buhari-in-1984/

3 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2015
WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THRASH??

5 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by Akkord4gov: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ok
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:15pm On Dec 23, 2015
ENTERING THE KA’ABA, THE HOLY OF THE HOLIES

HISTORIC MOMENT: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (left) stepping out of the Ka'aba after offering prayers.
HISTORIC MOMENT: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (left) stepping out of the Ka’aba after offering prayers.
On a Friday, the 16th of November, 1984, a Nigerian was given a royal welcome in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. However, something more interesting happened when before a mesmerized 50,000 Muslim worshippers inside Islam’s holiest sanctuary, the massive golden doors of the Ka’aba were flung open. The excitement in the air was so thick one could cut through with a knife. A few people, very few people, were allowed to enter the Ka’aba and pray in it. One of them was the leader of the 82 million people of the West African nation of Nigeria: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari. In the Islamic calendar, that date was recorded as the 23rd of Safar, 1405 AH.

Buhari did not enter the Ka’aba alone. The Commander-in-Chief was followed by 26 members of his Muslim entourage. Some of them were Air Vice Marshal Usman Mu’azu, who was the military administrator of Kaduna State, Dr. Ibrahim Gambari, who was the minister of external affairs (now called foreign affairs), Ambassador Hamzat Ahmadu, who was the Director-General of the Africa Department of the Ministry of External Affairs and others. General Buhari was also accompanied into the Ka’aba by Sheikh Zaki Yamani, who had been Saudi Arabia’s oil minister for 20 years at that time.

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:17pm On Dec 23, 2015
THE INTERPRETATION

The Ka’aba is very rarely opened, not more than twice a year, usually for cleaning. Very select dignitaries, foreign diplomats and figures and allowed to ever enter. It is a very exclusive privilege indeed. Thus, when the Saudis flung open the gates of Islam’s holiest site to the lanky Nigerian general from Daura, it was widely interpreted in the religious and diplomatic circles that it was a sign that Saudi Arabia held Nigeria, Nigerians and the head of state in very great esteem.

VISITING THE SAUDI KING IN RIYADH

After Buhari was done with his religious activities, he was invited to the capital city of Riyadh on Saturday by King Fahd Ibn Abdul Aziz. The Saudi King himself was waiting at the King Khalid International Airport to receive General Buhari. Others waiting to receive him included Crown Prince Abdallah Ibn Abdul Aziz, the Second Deputy Premier and Minister of Defence as well as the Inspector-General of the Police, Prince Sultan.

From the airport, the king then drove with them to his farm on the outskirts of Riyadh where Buhari and others were treated to a luncheon. After holding a brief discussion, King Fahd conducted them round his farm, introducing them to his own efforts geared towards food sustenance for Saudi Arabia. Buhari, who later spoke to journalists, said he was overwhelmed by the profound hospitality and royal welcome given to him and his delegation in all parts of the kingdom and hoped it will herald a new and fruitful period of relations between Nigeria and Saudi Arabia.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:18pm On Dec 23, 2015
A pagan shrine with over 360 idols can not be the sit of God.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:22pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:
A pagan shrine with over 360 idols can not be the sit of God.
So where r u refering to?

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

So where r u refering to?

The Kabbah with the silver vargina idol
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by abduljabbar4(m): 12:24pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:
A pagan shrine with over 360 idols can not be the sit my god.

K

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:28pm On Dec 23, 2015
abduljabbar4:

K

BRO, HE MIGHT BE RIGHT THOUGH?? lipsrsealed
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
abduljabbar4:

K

Was the Kabbah not a pagan shrine? Did your prophet not at one time declare all the gods in the Kabbah as part of his allah's family and OK to worship?

Islam is paganism masquerading in pretense of worshiping the one and true GOD.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Does he even know his pagan religion with moon reverence and a penchant for human sacrifice?
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:

Does he even know his pagan religion with moon reverence and a penchant for human sacrifice?
TEACH HIM SIRE
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Birds of a feather.... I know u wil never see any good thing in your President

I pity your condition
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by ProfessorPeter(m): 12:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
Did that stop El rufai from calling Buhari a terrorist?

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:

Was the Kabbah not a pagan shrine? Did your prophet not at one time declare all the gods in the Kabbah as part of his allah's family and OK to worship?

May God forgive u
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:34pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:

You need knowledge bro

I pray to God to change your stoney mind in Jesus name

2 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

I pity your condition
THAT IS BECAUSE WE ARE YET TO SEE ANYTHING GOOD. WHEN I SEE ONE, I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO CHANT IT OUT FOR ALL TO HEAR AND KNOW

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:37pm On Dec 23, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

THAT IS BECAUSE WE ARE YET TO SEE ANYTHING GOOD. WHEN I SEE ONE, I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO CHANT IT OUT FOR ALL TO HEAR AND KNOW

Hypocrite u r guy
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:37pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

I pity your condition

And what is good in your Kabbah?

Are you aware that mecca is a no go area for non muslims?

If Rome was like that and Jonathan visited Rome won't you muslims go up in arms?

I remember when Jonathan visited the wailing wall in Jerusalem some of you Muslims went berserk. Or can we forget how the likes of El Rufai mocked Jonathan on social media for kneeling down and praying in Church?

The fact that the evil house of Saud opened their pagan shrine to Buhari back in 1984 does not in anyway concern us who are not muslims as we don't give a damn about whatever honor or reverence this had to buhari's prestige as a despotic muslim.

Kappish?

5 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:38pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

Hypocrite u r guy
HOW AND WHERE

1 Like

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:38pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

May God forgive u

Go and study your religion before you talk trash to me.
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by moscobabs(m): 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2015
APCHaram:

And what is good in your Kabbah?

Are you aware that mecca is a no go area for non muslims?

If Rome was like that and Jonathan visited Rome won't you muslims go up in arms?

I remember when Jonathan visited the wailing wall in Jerusalem some of you Muslims went berserk. Or can we forget how the likes of El Rufai mocked Jonathan on social media for kneeling down and praying in Church?

The fact that the evil house of Saud opened their pagan shrine to Buhari back in 1984 does not in anyway concern us who are not muslims as we don't give a damn about whatever honor or reverence this had to buhari's prestige as a despotic muslim.

Kappish?

Guy I'm not a Muslim but u seriously need medical attention . The purpose of the topic is not to preach Islam or any other religion.

Nigeria will be having problem if people like u still in existence
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by vedaxcool(m): 12:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THRASH??

Check your BP a heart attack seems imminent.
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:44pm On Dec 23, 2015
vedaxcool:

Check your BP a heart attack seems imminent.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I JUST THEY CHILL ON NAIRALAND.
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:45pm On Dec 23, 2015
moscobabs:

Guy I'm not a Muslim but u seriously need medical attention . The purpose of the topic is not to preach Islam or any other religion.
Nigeria will be having problem if people like u still in existence

[img]http://kellyandmattroy.files./2013/06/2013_0523_jeddah_22.jpg[/img]

Nigeria is not a Muslim country.

Mecca is barred to non muslims.

To celebrate his visit to mecca is tantamount to if Obasanjo was given red carpet treatment in apartheid south Africa

4 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:47pm On Dec 23, 2015

Being a moslem he is free to worship his religion but as a head of state of a multicultural society like Nigeria I don't see why the president should go to a city where half of his citizens are not welcomed over then not being moslem

2 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
If you support the Saudi govt banning of non muslims in their country then I don't see why you criticise Trump!

Hypocrites

4 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 23, 2015
And so? did that help Nigeria's economy then? Is that helping us now? Did it save him from being over thrown? baldadash. He entered the kaabah and so damn what?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ive been waiting for someone to quote the source of their info. If u say there are 360 idols in the kabbah , kindly tell us when? Also how did you come about the info?
Re: Why The Saudis Opened The Holy Ka'aba For Buhari In 1984 by APCHaram: 1:50pm On Dec 23, 2015
isiaka007:
Ive been waiting for someone to quote the source of their info. If u say there are 360 idols in the kabbah , kindly tell us when? Also how did you come about the info?

The kabbah predates Islam and was a shrine dedicated to pagan worshiping and the deity known as allah

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Buhari Finally Restructures Nigeria! (future Pic) / The Controversial Open Letter To Asiwaju Tinubu A False Representation[Fraud] / EXPOSE: ASO ROCK Under Evil Spirit - J-berger's Staff, Others Confess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.