Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian (55600 Views)

Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old / List Best Military Organized Crime Inclined Story You Have Read On Nairaland / 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by kissniyi(m): 5:17pm On Dec 24, 2015
Where's "Echoes of hard time" wink

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Iriruaga100(m): 5:32pm On Dec 24, 2015
Cheer up brothers, when a child is motherless, dizzy angel, incorruptable judge.

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by djl(m): 5:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
nastyesco:
this op dey confused...I am not sure u are talking of my Nigeria
5 most read books
-Macmillian English book 1 (Ali is a boy)
- Understanding Mathematics
- Eze goes to School
- Akin the Drummer boy
- Chike and the river
You are so spot on.....The Op is quite confused. Your list should be it. I wud also add Ralia the sugar Girl and The second Chance , if I were to make a list of seven

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Pdizzle(m): 6:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
All the D. O Fagunwa series. The man's imagination is out of this world

2 Likes

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by udoojah(m): 6:15pm On Dec 24, 2015
seems evrybody has forgoten about
ONE EYED SUNDAY!
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by MAURI: 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2015
@ Nairalandstinks

An African Night Entertainment
The madness of Kyauta.

God bless you bro.

The African child by Camara Laye
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Supremor(m): 6:28pm On Dec 24, 2015
Joys of Motherhood
Echoes of Hard Times
The boys slave are also worthy mentions

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Supremor(m): 6:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
sketcherJ:
3. Half of a yellow sun

[img]http://1.bp..com/-89zN1gA6p-w/VnqkF6ZCzsI/AAAAAAAAAlk/Gv3-RN3ad4Q/s320/download%2B%252821%2529.jpg[/img]

Half of a Yellow Sun is a novel by Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. the novel tells the story of the Biafran War through the perspective of the characters Olanna, Ugwu, and Richard.was listed as one of New York Times Most Notable Books of 2006.

- See more at: http://dandywriter..com.ng/2015/12/five-books-you-must-have-read-as_23.html?m=1#sthash.3fhA6QSE.dpuf

u didn't include d link to Half of a Yellow Sun nd Ake pls help me check it out
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by sketcherJ(m): 7:18pm On Dec 24, 2015
Supremor:
u didn't include d link to Half of a Yellow Sun nd Ave pls help me check it out
i have d eBook before but lost it..don't worry I am still sourcing for it..when I have it, I will share u d Link
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by nogasimplicity: 8:30pm On Dec 24, 2015
all of them were great but i will always remember the love between ihuoma and ekwueme
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by ekefre4(m): 8:58pm On Dec 24, 2015
coveredchic:

The bottled leopard!
yh...tnx
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by barrysome001: 9:10pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
Where is the concubine by Elechi Amadi

The lion and the jewel by Wole Soyinka

This book written by Cyprian Ekwensi? I've forgotten the title sha.

The Drummer Boy
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by shegsrules(m): 9:22pm On Dec 24, 2015
Bootle leopard
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Agathabishen(f): 9:49pm On Dec 24, 2015
amdoyin82:
The return of shetima. The birthday girl, animal's farm. Robinson crusor. These are few of my favourites novels.

The boy slave, return of the boy slave, still born, african night (entertainment), the concubine, eze goes to school, eze goes to college, chike and the river, the gods are not to be blame, the joy of motherhood, lion and the jewel (a play) violence, things fall apart, no longer at ease. etc.
My all time favourite are
1. The joy of motherhood- buchi emechata
2. Still born - zainab alkali
3. African night entertainment and
4. So long a letter by mari ama ba (a play from senegal)
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Lordave: 10:14pm On Dec 24, 2015
The Concubine, Amadi Elechi is a wicked man for writing that story.

Arrow of God

Dizzy Angel

Bottled Leopard

Potters Wheel, Silence my favourite character.

Motherless Baby, Cyprian Ekwensi

Milk of Kindness

The Enviable Cross

Drums of Joy

Joys of Motherhood, Emecheta should be arrested
angry

Trials of Brother Jerome and his Metamorphosis

The God's are not to Blame

Oliver Twist

Treasure Island

Lord of the Flies

The Mine Boy

Sizwe Bansi is Dead

The Wizard of Law

No Longer at Ease

Things Fall Apart

Why there are so many Roads

The Silver Spoon and Other Stories.

The Adventures of Nnanna

A Man of the People

Ukwa Ruo Oge Ya.

Okpa Aku Erieri

Ukpana Okpoko Gburu cool

Omenuko

Etc etc etc etc etc

3 Likes

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by onos217(m): 10:18pm On Dec 24, 2015
Hello guys,can any one share a link where I could download "The Lion and the Jewel"?
Thanks.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Henovy: 10:19pm On Dec 24, 2015
Hadeyeancah:
Ok, but I always read NAIRALAND everyday..
Yes o. Nairaland is more than all those five put together! Reason: No fiction, true life experience.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by idigbaro(m): 10:19pm On Dec 24, 2015
At least a portion of the Bible
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by tpiar: 10:20pm On Dec 24, 2015
most people have read Toads for Supper.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by onos217(m): 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2015
Op,where is link for"Aka"?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:

''The concubine" was a good read then. Ditto for "Dizzy Angel"(forgetten who penned it)
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 24, 2015
SlyCharlie:

lol..yeah its a book i just had to read,not that i enjoyed it or anything...
The author keeps on referring to 'the MAN' through out the book. Pretty boring
i remember i stopped reading that novel after the 2nd page when i was much younger.. The author kept droning on about a conductor in a moving bus filled with passengers. Wasn't quite the impression about a book whose title was as common as it was captivating. I literally flung it away after the 2nd page.
Will read it now though, if i stumble on it.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by SlyCharlie(m): 11:20pm On Dec 24, 2015
Epaul:
i remember i stopped reading that novel after the 2nd page when i was much younger.. The author kept droning on about a conductor in a moving bus filled with passengers. Wasn't quite the impression about a book whose title was as common as it was captivating. I literally flung it away after the 2nd page.
Will read it now though, if i stumble on it.
lol..don't blame urself bro, you are not the only one who thinks the book is downright boring, wat pains me is that it has a very nice name...One of the few books i read just once
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by kilisi(m): 11:26pm On Dec 24, 2015
indigene:
I am adding Jagua Nana by Cyprain Ekwensi
The Palmwine Drunkard by Amos Tutuola
The Palmwine Drinkard was another very unique novel that plays around the English language in a special way.

Wish those days could just come again when I had time for all those novels.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by McLove(m): 11:36pm On Dec 24, 2015
THE NEW MAN BY FEMI ADEMILUYI IS ALSO DOPE

1 Like

Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Supremor(m): 11:38pm On Dec 24, 2015
sketcherJ:
i have d eBook before but lost it..don't worry I am still sourcing for it..when I have it, I will share u d Link
will appreciate it
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by kilisi(m): 11:43pm On Dec 24, 2015
sketcherJ:

Please share me too. Thanks.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by charmingeyes(m): 11:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
Truckpusher:
People of the city? or Survive the Peace?
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by akuracy(m): 12:18am On Dec 25, 2015
The gods are not to blame, Animal farm.
books of Jezebel. anti Christ books
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by cyberwaver(m): 12:24am On Dec 25, 2015
A Question and Answer Web Portal has now been created for education purpose.
The purpose of the web portal is to give Nigerian Students the avenue to share their educational problems with gurus and get accurate answers.
Another thing the more questions you answer and the more questions you create, the greater points you will get to be a Top Guru that will be featured on the web portal.
The Web/Portal web address is http://ngedugurus.com .
Please share this info to all your friends and give it the population it so deserve.
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by koolapo(m): 3:48am On Dec 25, 2015
sexymoma:
Ugo .C. Ugo
Trials of jimmy Johnson
Sugar Girl
Anything partaining to tortoise
Alawuye
Our Husband has Gone Mad Again
I read all
Re: Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 25, 2015
REMMEI:
What's "Eze goes to school" doing on the list if you can't include

•Akin goes to school

•Sani goes to school ?

Or probably you're trying to tell us the book 'you' have read as a Nigerian.
. No be by force to comment naaa
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sinister Affections By Nevetsibot / Mom's New Boyfriend / Fulfilled Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.