Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,308 members, 7,853,424 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:24 PM

I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" (15483 Views)

5 Benefits Of Attending Church / I Think Christians In The Core North Should Stop Attending Church For Now. / The More I Know, The More I Feel Like Not Attending Church Again (pentecostal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by iconoclast(m): 11:29am On Jun 15, 2009
i dont blame you at all, i have been having such taughts 4 d past eight years.
haven't been to a church for as many years too
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by origina9ja(f): 11:59am On Jun 15, 2009
@ the above
no body is bleaming the poster
the question now is
are the reason listed a good excuse to leave a church
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 12:57pm On Jun 15, 2009
Just as i thought many people would mis-understand me whilst some would deliberately choose to to mis-represent me. As some people on NL have already labelled me a "church critic" of some sorts and would love only to pick holes in what ever i write whether i am in order or not. That said i would also like to comment that a lot of people have displayed on this thread that they don't know the difference between church[body of believers] and "church" which is a place of "worship" they attend. As david rightly observed my problem is with Intituitionalized christianity and not the body of believers.[even though some clowns i didn't ask are trying to "correct" this observation of his].

As petre rightly suggested i would also like to encourage all true believers to study the new testament well especially the Epistles and Acts to know the standard set for the church by christ throught Apostles and compare it to the charade going on today. As some people have rightly noted i am genuinely seeking to know God better and do his will but some people cannot see beyond the indoctrination they have received in their"churches".

Some people have also wondered why i decided to anounce on Nairaland that i would stop attending "church". Well the answer is two fold:
[1] Discussions on nairaland provoked me to study the bible better and have a clearer understanding of the word of God and the true gospel of Christ so i thougt it was in order since nairaland was partly involved in the decision.

[2] I felt the need to provoke other christians to study their bible better and see what is wrong with the way christianity is being practised today. As i said earlier i do not seek any body to follow in my foot steps as they really have to understand what they are doing and not just looking for an lazy way of practising christianity. As a christian i am also moral obligated to share the truth with others.

Unfortunately a lot of haters[who claim to be christians] here on NL have not bothered to understand my views and bible based position before launching verbal attacks on my person. I beleive any true christian would have been more interested in showing me from scriptures why i might be taking a wrong decision, but so far it is just blind criticism i am getting. Also a couple of people who spoke on gathering of believers as exemplified in hebrews 10:25 failed to get the import of my post and they also don't realize the distinction between church as a place of worship and church as a gathering of believers
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 1:17pm On Jun 15, 2009
And for the benefit of those who still do not get the improt of my decision and starting this thread i want to happily annouce to every body that based on this thread i got invited to gathering of believers [commonly called church] by petre_007. I worshipped with them yesterday and i must confess it was truely refreshing. Even though it was a very small gathering,[less than 25] i was truely blessed and i felt so much excitement inside of me through out the service. The pastor struck me as a teacher that was actually out to impart truth and knowledge of the scriptures to the flock and the sermon was on christian history which i have never heard being preached in any church i have worshipped before and there was no tithe or offering collection and best of all the pastor allowed questions after he finished his teachings. One thing is definite i would be worshipping with them next sunday and if in deed i am convinced of the doctrine they preach in the church i intend to pitch my tent with them and mkae the place my regular place of worship. What makes this place different and truely refreshing was the zeal and passion with which the pastor was empowering the flock and the obvious concious efforts to stick with biblical injunctions in co-ordinating the church. I recommend the church to any one who genuiely seeks the truth and wants to be empowered in the word.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 1:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ok Kunle

And if you are convinced, you will fully become a member and probably mature in spiritual things and quit rubbing religiousity on our faces.

May be this will put u on the positive side of progress in your christian life.

Much love, bro.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by osazu: 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2009
And for the benefit of those who still do not get the improt of my decision and starting this thread i want to happily annouce to every body that based on this thread i got invited to gathering of believers [commonly called church] by petre_007. I worshipped with them yesterday and i must confess it was truely refreshing. Even though it was a very small gathering,[less than 25] i was truely blessed and i felt so much excitement inside of me through out the service. The pastor struck me as a teacher that was actually out to impart truth and knowledge of the scriptures to the flock and the sermon was on christian history which i have never heard being preached in any church i have worshipped before and there was not tithe or offering collection. One thing is definite i would be worshipping with them next sunday and if in deed i am convinced of the doctrine they preach in the church i intend to pitch my tent with them and mkae the place my regular place of worship. What makes this place different and truely refreshing was the zeal and passion with which the pastor was empowering the flock and the obvious concious efforts to stick with biblical injunctions in co-ordinating the church. I recommend the church to any one who genuiely seeks the truth and wants to be empowered in the word.

Na wa!
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emiemi(f): 2:02pm On Jun 15, 2009
Kunle,
I think you are one true and brave guy to have come out openly to state this. Many individuals (myself inclusive) have
thought and brooded over this 'church' thingy that we kinda resolve to whateva we resolve to. My conclusion is
that 'church is in your heart'' and not the  building we go to every sunday. I don't feel guilty not attending any church
service or program becos over time I have realised that God's words will never change, no matter how the generation
or technology changes. It is sure. If only people will seek God for themselves and pray to gOD for real,
Pls do not go to any place if you do genuinely feel your heart aint into it.
God bless u!

I leave u with this quote ''There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.'' - Dalai Lama

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by TV01(m): 2:09pm On Jun 15, 2009
fyneguy:

Ok Kunle

And if you are convinced, you will fully become a member and probably mature in spiritual things and quit rubbing religiousity on our faces.

Much love, bro.

It takes a certain kind of proud - unthinking and unfeeling - religious hypocrite to post the kind of disdain and abuse that you have done above, subsequently labelling or proclaiming it as love, inherently suggesting it's "Christian" love.

Unfortunately this type abounds on NL.

does anyone actually discuss issues or topics anymore? is anyone capable. Lord, pray  save us from the invasion of the "Institutionalised Church Drones" ICD. grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 2:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
fyneguy:

Ok Kunle

Much love, bro.

Thanx for your unsolicited advice. But then i have some advice for you as well flee CEC plc and Oyakhilome he is a typical example of the false teachers the apostles warned us about. His doctrine is from the pits of hell.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 2:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
TV01:

It takes a certain kind of proud - unthinking and unfeeling - religious hypocrite to post the kind of disdain and abuse that you have done above, subsequently labelling or proclaiming it as love, inherently suggesting it's "Christian" love.

does anyone actually discuss issues or topics anymore? is anyone capable. Lord, pray  save us from the invasion of the "Institutionalised Church Drones" ICD. grin

My bro how you dey? grin Trust you had a blessed weekend. wink
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by pilgrim1(f): 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2009
TV01:

does anyone actually discuss issues or topics anymore? is anyone capable. Lord, pray  save us from the invasion of the "Institutionalised Church Drones" ICD. grin

One wonders what kind of hypocrisy compels you to complain about 'hypocrisy' in others and yet you can't resist displaying your own and asking 'Lord' to "save us". Ah, I forgot - it's a matter of "they" vs "us". . . so they are the ICDs, "drones", yea? Very thoughtful.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by TV01(m): 2:40pm On Jun 15, 2009
KunleOshob:

My bro how you dey? grin Trust you had a blessed weekend. wink

Kunosh I dey 0! how far?

I'm spoiling bro'. What say we stand back to back and smite some of these ICD's with the edge of the sword grin! Probably wouldn't stretch us overly much or last more than a few minutes, but it'd be fun while it lasted.  cheesy. We could probably carry on a edifying fellowship while we play cool.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emiemi(f): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
KunleOshob:

And for the benefit of those who still do not get the improt of my decision and starting this thread i want to happily annouce to every body that based on this thread i got invited to gathering of believers [commonly called church] by petre_007. I worshipped with them yesterday and i must confess it was truely refreshing. Even though it was a very small gathering,[less than 25] i was truely blessed and i felt so much excitement inside of me through out the service. The pastor struck me as a teacher that was actually out to impart truth and knowledge of the scriptures to the flock and the sermon was on christian history which i have never heard being preached in any church i have worshipped before and there was not tithe or offering collection. One thing is definite i would be worshipping with them next sunday and if in deed i am convinced of the doctrine they preach in the church i intend to pitch my tent with them and mkae the place my regular place of worship. What makes this place different and truely refreshing was the zeal and passion with which the pastor was empowering the flock and the obvious concious efforts to stick with biblical injunctions in co-ordinating the church. I recommend the church to any one who genuiely seeks the truth and wants to be empowered in the word.

Glad to hear this Kunle. But I will honestly tell you this, most young church usually start off right but
get distracted along the way or follow the saying ''if u can't beat them, join them''. I have been to
many churches too and have seen this phenomenom a lot of the times. Enjoy the time while it lasts sha.
Remember to stay focused on your desire and whom u seek.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 3:01pm On Jun 15, 2009
fyneguy:

Ok Kunle

Much love, bro.

And for the record this church i attended re-inforced and further convinced me that i am threading the right part. Most of what i have be saying on this forum against the instituitionalized church were confirmed there and i can actually confirm to you that i am making progress in my christian life whilst the likes of you are stuck in "church" life.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by TV01(m): 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
emiemi:

Glad to hear this Kunle. But I will honestly tell you this, most young church usually start off right but
get distracted along the way or follow the saying ''if u can't beat them, join them''. I have been to
many churches too and have seen this phenomenom a lot of the times.

Sadly!

emiemi:

Remember to stay focused on your desire and whom u seek.

I'm not a big fan of this word, but GBAM!

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
One important characteristic of the early church was that even though they were scattered around different cities, they all were in one accord. What do you see today? Giant religious empires where the "senior pastor" is Lawd over all.

Imagine if the early church existed today . . . i doubt Paul's letter to the Ephesian church would be permitted to be read to the Galatians . . . afterall he is not their "GO".

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 3:26pm On Jun 15, 2009
davidylan:

One important characteristic of the early church was that even though they were scattered around different cities, they all were in one accord. What do you see today? Giant religious empires where the "senior pastor" is Lawd over all.

Imagine if the early church existed today . . . i doubt Paul's letter to the Ephesian church would be permitted to be read to the Galatians . . . afterall he is not their "GO".
grin grin grin
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
would or will?
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 4:10pm On Jun 15, 2009
emiemi:

I don't feel guilty not attending any church
service or program becos over time I have realised that God's words will never change, no matter how the generation or technology changes. It is sure.

Of course the word of your biblical God changes, you have eyes but just can't see it. The old and new testament reflect the laws of 2 different Gods with different temperaments.
Your biblical God of the old testament was a racists, sadists, jealous, hot tempered, a bully, supported polygamy, incests, pedophilia, slavery, genocidal, was quick to curse entire generations unborn, created pain and suffering due to the sins of adam and eve. . .infact, he behaved just like the devil is said to behave. Ironically, the devil never did nothing but give humans consciousness.

Then the God of the new testament stop communicating directly with his favoured people, had sex with a child(mary), had his child crucified to save humans from who the hell knows what, he no longer ordered tit for tat but forgiveness, his son advocated love of ones enemy so i guess it's okay to love the devil, in short this new testament God was distant. Why couldn't he just forgive the sins of humans? isn't he supposed to be the most merciful? If he's all knowing why couldn't he foresee the evil of man? or was it just a sick game to him? And if everything came from him then where did evil come from? Did he have to molest a child to produce a son for sacrifice? What did he do with the sacrificial blood of his son? Consume it? hahaha let's be sensible.

FYI: Jesus never even claimed to be the "son of God" but he did say that he was the "Son of man." hahaha. . .i am out to destroy everything you delusional iredeemables stand for.

That's right, i am your worst nightmare
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by seyenko(m): 4:56pm On Jun 15, 2009
The "churches" are like Microsoft nowadays - they preach user friendly sermons, they say what the people want to hear and not what they should hear. They engage in direct and indirect marketing of people via feedbacks they get from the payback of their 'film' recordings. They understand at what point in the videos the people are subjected to mass hysteria and irrational euphoria. You hardly go to church nowadays without wondering if you are in a MBA class - all you hear is money, money , money, seed offering, covenant offering, faith offering, kingdom seed offering, tithe offering etc

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by sosisi(f): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2009
fayahsoul:

Of course the word of your biblical God changes, you have eyes but just can't see it. The old and new testament reflect the laws of 2 different Gods with different temperaments.
Your biblical God of the old testament was a racists, sadists, jealous, hot tempered, a bully, supported polygamy, incests, pedophilia, slavery, genocidal, was quick to curse entire generations unborn, created pain and suffering due to the sins of adam and eve. . .infact, he behaved just like the devil is said to behave. Ironically, the devil never did nothing but give humans consciousness.

Then the God of the new testament stop communicating directly with his favoured people, had sex with a child(mary), had his child crucified to save humans from who the hell knows what, he no longer ordered tit for tat but forgiveness, his son advocated love of ones enemy so i guess it's okay to love the devil, in short this new testament God was distant. Why couldn't he just forgive the sins of humans? isn't he supposed to be the most merciful? If he's all knowing why couldn't he foresee the evil of man? or was it just a sick game to him? And if everything came from him then where did evil come from? Did he have to molest a child to produce a son for sacrifice? What did he do with the sacrificial blood of his son? Consume it? hahaha let's be sensible.

FYI: Jesus never even claimed to be the "son of God" but he did say that he was the "Son of man." hahaha. . .i am out to destroy everything you delusional iredeemables stand for.

That's right, i am your worst nightmare

Oh sharap!
left to you,women will be walking around with dada hair and jigida on their waists grin
your opinion doesn't count here.
This is about Christianity not animists issues
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by pilgrim1(f): 5:08pm On Jun 15, 2009
$osisi:

Oh sharap!
left to you,women will be walking around with dada hair and jigida on their waists grin

You dis my sista sef!  grin
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
seyenko:

The "churches" are like Microsoft nowadays - they preach user friendly sermons, they say what the people want to hear and not what they should hear. They engage in direct and indirect marketing of people via feedbacks they get from the payback of their 'film' recordings. They understand at what point in the videos the people are subjected to mass hysteria and irrational euphoria. You hardly go to church nowadays without wondering if you are in a MBA class - all you hear is money, money , money, seed offering, covenant offering, faith offering, kingdom seed offering, tithe offering etc

2 timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Nothing else to add.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by TV01(m): 5:55pm On Jun 15, 2009
So, is it a structural/formation issue or one of doctrine/practice? Is it the provenance of those within?? Are these factors all related, perhaps fuelling each other Indeed, are there other causal factors or root issues. Could there be a deeper spiritual pattern playing out here?

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Idahsteve: 7:11pm On Jun 15, 2009
man search for God is continuous.

we seek him maintaining spirituality and truth.

idahosa stephen
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Idahsteve: 7:23pm On Jun 15, 2009
pls know that every religion is the idea of a man like me and you.

Christianity was a slogan in Anthioch.

claiming or behaving as a christian does not automatically makes you a seeker of God and his ways.

spirituality could be attained through sacrifice, love, giving and sharing, subduing and total control of the flesh.

these things can be practised and you can be it any where. AND NOT NECESSARILY IN THE CHURCH.

stephen idahosa
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ogajim(m): 7:29pm On Jun 15, 2009
seyenko:

I couldn't have said it any better myself. These are certainly the end times and we need to be sure we are playing for the right team as the prince of this World has taken over a lot of our "churches" as evidenced by the whole "infrastructure" not performing according to Jesus Christ's instructions. Paul compared his teachings with those of the Apostles and there was "nothing to add or remove" from it.
When folks don't have any basis for their position, they pick holes with everything like the "church", and I thought putting a word or statement in quotes isolates it to some degree (not an English major), we need to pray hard that we know what our "church" stands for and who they "align" or "partner" with. If your "church's" hierarchy looks like a pyramid business scheme, you might need a new one  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
But seriously, I haven't seen anything from those on the other side of the "isle" other than the "same old same old"
Truth should take you further than doctrines can.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ikamefa(f): 7:35pm On Jun 15, 2009
Idahsteve:

stephen idahosa

and why do  you keep on leaving your digits? undecided
you be paitor? grin grin grin grin
make  alla dem call you for deliverance? grin grin grin grin
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Idahsteve: 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
ikamefa:

and why do you keep on leaving your digits? undecided
you be paitor? grin grin grin grin
make alla dem call you for deliverance? grin grin grin grin

cos u may need me
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by MrCrackles(m): 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
Idahsteve:

cos u may need me

She is not a floozy!
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ikamefa(f): 7:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
Idahsteve:

cos u may need me

need you? undecided i dont geddit? undecided
need you for what? undecided
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 10:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
$osisi:

Oh sharap!

Stupid Arrow. i am not an animist and learn to keep my name out of that stinking latrine you call a mouth.

If your hungry i do have some poultry feed for you. Self-hating chicken head.

Buhahaha. . .What a stupid bitch

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Dealing With The Coronavirus As A Christian: What You Must Know / God Said Nigeria Will Be The Greatest Nation In The World - Adeboye / Which Pastor Inspires You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.