Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,560 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" (15454 Views)

5 Benefits Of Attending Church / I Think Christians In The Core North Should Stop Attending Church For Now. / The More I Know, The More I Feel Like Not Attending Church Again (pentecostal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emilyone(f): 11:57am On Jun 12, 2009
the fact that a particular church did not meet up with your expectations does not mean all churches are the same.

there are over 1,001 churches, how many have you tested? for u to now arrive at your conclusion
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by JJYOU: 12:03pm On Jun 12, 2009
lekywhite:

Thank God for your life if you decide to leave the church for your personal beliefs. I want to respect your views and various articles that used to support your claims, but i want to believe its a personal decision (which i see no reason except to confuse people about the present day church and probably to convince people from attending churches and i am beginning to sense an anti-church and anti - Christ involvement here.)

The church you are leaving wont even feel you because i sense you are not deeply involved in any church activities (as you never told us if you are a worker in your church or not) and also i want to believe as you leave more than 100 will replace you.

In my own candid advise/opinion as you gave us the opportunity to express our mind towards your decision, i will advice that you run back and go and correct what you feel is wrong in your church rather than running away and then crucifying the church.

people like saint kunle only prove the english right when they sing " the heart you hurt may be your own.
this well brought up 1994 graduate set out to destroy others faith and lost his in the process.  whoever said faith is fragile handle with care was right.  it was so clear to me his daily rant and recruitment excercise was going to back fire.

daily on NL kunle set out his slow poison stall with his anti pastors, church and Christ message. he had his anti God huxley and co cheering him. it was so clear to me his daily rant and recruitment excercise was going to back fire. this is almost always how wicked, loveless, graceless and tasteless  folks like him always end up.  

david said he nearly began to do evil until God showed him the end of the wicked man.  it is very sad you couldnt fool no one with your no money for the church message.  like i always told you the church of Jesus Christ has a no gates of hell will prevail against  her word. it doesnt matter who/ whom is backing you up you will never be able to complete the weapons + assignment you are gathering.  you are pretending to "hate the people for God" yet the same lifeless bible you quote said not to let anger rule you.  not even 1994 graduates are exempt from obeying the bible.
it took me ages to discover you were supposed to be a baptist. how on earth that sets you to be special i still cant work out maybe when i graduate in 2014 i will begin to get your point.  you were never part of the church of Jesus Christ.

i told you before and i say it again here for you  " though we be many, we are one body".

i do hope all your 3 minutes of fame on NL was worth it. keep your NL buddys cos you will soon need them

otukpo:

This thread is for Christians alone and not for people like Tudor.
sadly tudor and OP are bed fellows. one hate God the other hates God's people so they work for the same agent.

someone said
Creating Your World Through Words

"No one commits to divorce just like that. No one becomes an alcoholic just like that. No one kills someone just like that.
They've been set up throughout the course of their life to act in error by what they have said."
"They started early on by saying, 'Boy, life is the pits. This is hell. I guess that's my cross to bear.' Some talk about the cross more than the resurrection. 'Well, you know, I'm carrying big burdens,' they sigh."
"If you keep talking about your burdens, this attitude will grow and fester in you. Before you know it, you won't like life.
You'll wake up one morning and think that the world is getting prayer every day.
All the colour seems to have gone out of the world, and it doesn't look the same anymore."
"Life use to be a playground to you; now it's a battlefield - created by your own words."

kunle, enjoy the world you created for yourself
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Tudor3(m): 12:14pm On Jun 12, 2009
Pilgrim 2000 years after jesus was iced and the 'church' is still striving towards perfection. . .milleniums after the so called helper/holy spirit you're still at 'be ye'. Guess he's not doing his job well. . .
We're constantly told the end time is near. The groom (jesus) will come for his bride (the church) yet she's not perfect. I even read where a pastor(i think rebecca brown) saw a vision where the minuite hand of the end-time clock was at 1min to twelve (what a load of crap) what has the church been doing for the past 23 hours?
You hypocrites should focus on perfecting your church instead of heckling muslims and atheists into your imperfect body. The groom beckons on thee. . . .
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Tudor3(m): 12:19pm On Jun 12, 2009
Otukpo and JJYOU
I love you despite your insults. . .

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by pilgrim1(f): 12:45pm On Jun 12, 2009
Tùdor:

Pilgrim 2000 years after Jesus was iced and the 'church' is still striving towards perfection. . .milleniums after the so called helper/Holy Spirit you're still at 'be ye'. Guess he's not doing his job well. . .

Complaining is not the same thing as discussing. Is that the best shot you can produce for what I pointed out?

Tùdor:

We're constantly told the end time is near. The groom (Jesus) will come for his bride (the church) yet she's not perfect. I even read where a pastor(i think rebecca brown) saw a vision where the minuite hand of the end-time clock was at 1min to twelve (what a load of crap) what has the church been doing for the past 23 hours?
You hypocrites should focus on perfecting your church instead of heckling muslims and atheists into your imperfect body. The groom beckons on thee. . . .

You demonstrate your hypocrisy to such great levels. Rebecca Brown's ideas are not the same thing with what anyone understands from Scripture. I'm not heckling atheists, and do not enter a discussion with them with the sort of self-defeating arrogance that tends to complaints such as in yours. At any rate, I've always looked for a discussion - if you can afford that, good; if not, no wahala.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Tudoor(m): 1:24pm On Jun 12, 2009
Who's complaining? The church is underacheiving and you're inviting me to discuss? Ha!
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by olivetree: 1:49pm On Jun 12, 2009
The main reasons why we have churches (buildings) is so that people can fellowship together in a conducive place,otherwise, a church does not necessarily have to be in any enclosed space. Secondly, the Bible enjoins us to fellowship together, one with another, this is mainly to helpus grow and be our brothers and sisters keeper.

If you are in a church that you feel the Pastor is feeding fat on your offerings, you have 2 options,
1-Move on to another church or your house
2-Stay put

Its not by force to go to church,but remember that whatever you do,you will give account to God, heaven and hell are both real.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Meldrick(m): 2:07pm On Jun 12, 2009
The existence of a fake is a clear indication that there is an original.
Of course we have false prophets, churches that deviate from God's teaching but all these were part of what the bible highlighted as the signs of the end time.

@ poster
since you have chosen to stop attending churches, it's your opinion but remember the bible says you must not forsake the gathering of believers and if believers must gather, don't you think they must gather somewhere. They cannot be outside in the rain or under the sun. Don't also forget that Jesus scattered the temple because it was used for a purpose different from serving God but it is a fact that he acknowledged that that building in which trading was done , was his fathers temple.
In essence, believers must gather somewhere. Don't get deviated with man made temples but concern your self with the body of Christians that truly practise God's commandment.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by JJYOU: 2:14pm On Jun 12, 2009
Tùdor:

Otukpo and JJYOU
I love you despite your insults. . .
tudor ihow can i insult a confused inteligent man like you? wish u have love to give
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 2:26pm On Jun 12, 2009
This thread seems to be getting out of hand  shocked however i would like to make one thing emphatically clear: My christian faith and beliefs remain unshaken, infact i believe i am growing more as a christian and getting to understand the will of christ better. The problem is most people can not differentiate between the instituitional church they attend, their pastors and God/christ. Another problem is most people that claim to be christians hardly study the bible and understand what it is all about they depend on their pastors who have vested interests to tutor them. Whilst i would not recommend the decision i have taken to any one [as you really need a very indept understanding or have a spiritual re-awakening before you can take such a decision] i would like to encourage all christians to start actively searching the scriptures[especially new testament] to know the will of God.

The problem is not about the church i attend but rather more about man made instituitions parading as "house of God" which in itself is blasphemous and contrary to the scriptures. I discovered that most churches as they are constituited are contrary to the teachings of christ and their focus and the emphasis is wrong.

As i said earlier i would seek out other believers and continue to study and fellowship with them. Already as a result of this thread petre_007 as introduced me to his "church" and from the way he describes it, it sounds like a group of believers who are earnestly seeking the truth and striving to do the will of God. I intend to visit them soon and might probably join their gathering if i am convinced of what goes on their.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 12, 2009
I couldn't read the whole thread from page 1. But I'd like us to realise a few things.

There is only one church on earth. The church according to the Bible refers to all the followers of Christ.

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
KJV

You probably have seen that verse before, but my point is this - if there is something that makes you not want to attend church, then it is anti-Christ (literally).
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by mnwankwo(m): 3:02pm On Jun 12, 2009
Why do most people feel disappointed or even embittered when another human being decides to leave a church, religion, movement or sect? Why do most people feel disappointed when another human being converts from one church to another, from one religon to another or even from theism to atheism and vice versa? No two human beings are identical in terms of spiritual maturity and it indeed unfortunate that we openly or surreptitiously expect others to percieve things the same way as we do. Our siblings, parents, loved ones, spouses will someday choose to believe in things that we do not agree with. The best we can do for them is to wish them the guidance of God in whatever they are convinced of at the moment and love them without reservation. Open or secret animosity to those who are of a different spiritual persuation is the hall mark of spiritual poverty.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by pilgrim1(f): 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2009
m_nwankwo:

Why do most people feel disappointed or even embittered when another human being decides to leave a church, religion, movement or sect? Why do most people feel disappointed when another human being converts from one church to another, from one religon to another or even from theism to atheism and vice versa?

There is no such thing as converting from one church to another; and we don't read that the OP has "decided to leave" Christianity. Besides, I don't know where you read the idea of being embittered into this?
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 3:15pm On Jun 12, 2009
mactao:

I couldn't read the whole thread from page 1. But I'd like us to realise a few things.

There is only one church on earth. The church according to the Bible refers to all the followers of Christ.

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
KJV

You probably have seen that verse before, but my point is this - if there is something that makes you not want to attend church, then it is anti-Christ (literally).

Evidently you have no clue what true christianity is all about and obviously as you admitted you haven't fully read the thread but if you had read only the original post you would not be making thrashy statements as highlighted above. If you thing christ re-sides in a church building then you need to have your head examined.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ttalks(m): 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2009
What Kunle is doing is perfectly normal; I do not see why some people can't see beyond what they feel is right in their own highly esteemed opinions.

Using myself for example, I also discovered that the pentecostal movement in which I belonged to before was on the wrong path and had deviated in so many ways from what the bible taught.
So what did I do?
I simply pulled out from them and very soon joined a very small group of Christians who I believe are conforming as best as possible on a daily basis to the rightly divided word of God in the bible.From the description petre_007 gave, I have an inkling or suspicsion that the group of Christians he's referring to might be those whom I fellowship with once in a while; I can't be sure but they do match the profile.

So, from my outside position, I have tried in so many ways to get in touch with people who are still within the misled path that I once was in, so as to enable them to see the errors in their ways.

Now, some people say leaving the 'church' or 'churches' which seem to be wrong is not the best thing but remaining with them and trying to correct the faults from within.
That sounds good, but it is also risky in the sense that , the more you keep hearing the wrong stuff, the more you get pulled into it.
So it's best one pulls out and be associated with those who spread/preach/teach the right stuff cos Iron sharpeneth Iron.

The Bible says in Revelations 18 -

Rev 18:3-5
(3)  For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
(4)  And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
(5)  For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

It's pretty obvious from the above that God's people are encouraged to come out from within the religious groups/settings/denominations/practices that are not in line with God so as not to be partakers of their wrong.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2009
I thought i'd post one or two articles here it might prove to be very enlighten for those who truly seek the truth.

The Church

The Church View:
      A church is a building that is used for assembly of members of that church, which teaches and practices doctrines, generally determined, and enforced by a master religious organization. The function of the individual church varies according to the edicts of the controlling religious leaders, but follows general guidelines. The indoctrination of the membership in the beliefs of the master religion is a prime function, with absolute loyalty strongly emphasized. This is accomplished with weekly meetings during which the membership is indoctrinated in and conditioned to follow the rules of the religion by a leader variously called a pastor, priest, or minister.
      Members are expected to pay a certain percentage of their income to maintain the church building, pay the salaries and living expenses of the church employees, and other costs related to the promotion and functions of the master religion. Seldom is even a small percentage of church income and effort used to serve the community in which the church is situated, or the world in general.  Most civic projects are done to present a token image of charity, which is aimed at attracting new members to increase the power of the church in size and financial holdings.

The Bible View:
      A group of like-minded people who live in a communal setting and sacrifice all physical belongings to support a work totally devoted to charity. There is a staff, whose job is to feed and clothe the poor and infirmed, and many have the power to perform miracles. One basic law, love for one another, is the guiding principle. Pompous appearance, righteous pronouncements, and the advertising of charitable acts are condemned. There is no command to support any building based organization whose purpose is to serve only the interests of those members accepted into the membership.  Pastors, pulpits, and pews were not mentioned, and neither weekly meetings, nor any other scheduled meetings were held or commanded. Those called out of society and into the first church donated all their earthly goods to the group as a whole and it was clearly stated none of the called were in need of anything.
      Virtually nothing, which is accepted practice in the modern church, can either be found or supported in scripture, from the building the church is located in to the methods used to support that church. Neither the collection plate, the enforced gathering on Sunday, the open prayer, the support for political candidates, the party behind the pulpit, nor the pulpit itself bear any resemblance to the practice of the first church. Miracles, prophecy, and healing were common amongst the members of the first church.     

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness;
whose end shall be according to their works.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15

What Is Religion?

The word religion appears only 4 times in the Bible, three of those times in direct reference to the religion of the Jews.  The one time it refers to religion in general is in this verse:
♦  "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

What is the Church?
      Does the above verse sound like the standard practice of today’s Christian churches or does it sound more like this verse?
♦  “ Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.” (Romans 16:17)

What Was Peter's Commission?
      After the resurrection, Jesus confronted Peter, and with triple emphasis, gave him a very simple and specific command, to feed the people. 
♦  John 21:14 This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. 15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. 17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
      The word "feed" is taken from two different words in these verses.  In verses 15 and 17 the word translated is bosko, pronounced bos'-ko; to pasture; by extension to, fodder; reflexively, to graze.  In verse 16 it is taken from poimaino, pronounced poy-mah'-ee-no; to tend as a shepherd of (figuratively, supervisor).  Therefore, the commission is to feed and lead, with double emphasis on the directive to literally feed the followers.  Does this not clearly indicate that Jesus clearly chose Peter as the founder of the first church, and is it not obvious that this would also be the focus of the church?

Helping the poor and indigent is at the very core of the first church’s focus and practices.

The First Church

The first chapter of Acts, which is actually the second part of the Book of Luke, details the first actions of the first church. Jesus began the formation of the first church before his crucifixion as can be well established from the gospels.  The beginning of Acts shows that this book is details the final actions of Jesus until he was taken up:
♦  Acts 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2  Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: 3  To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

The next verses refer to the directive that the apostles and disciples were to wait for a special transfer of spiritual energy to be imparted to them after his ascension:
♦  Acts 1:4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.  5. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. 6. When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?  7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.   

In the next three verses Jesus is beamed aboard a cloud as the apostles have a very close encounter and are told that Jesus would return in the same cloud he just boarded.     
♦  Acts 1:9  And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10.  And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11.  Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

After the ascension, the group returns to wait for the promise:
♦  Acts 1:12  Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. 13.  And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

The Spirit of God Enters Mankind and the Miracles Begin:
♦  Acts 2:1.  And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.  2.  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.  3.  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.  4.  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.  5.  And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6.  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.   

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Meldrick(m): 3:40pm On Jun 12, 2009
KunleOshob:

If you thing christ re-sides in a church building then you need to have your head examined.
Is this not the man who claims to have an understanding of the bible and all the verses? Is this the type of thing you want to start teaching your members? Hmmmm.

We must be careful to avoid been misled
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 12, 2009
KunleOshob:

Evidently you have no clue what true christianity is all about and obviously as you admitted you haven't fully read the thread but if you had read only the original post you would not be making thrashy statements as highlighted above. If you thing christ re-sides in a church building then you need to have your head examined.

I disagree when you say I have no clue what true Christianity is all about. But it's very annoying that you misinterpreted my post. If you read it at all, then you know that when I say "attending church", I mean "attending the assembling of Christians", not going to a building. I do not think Christ resides in a building.

And to think someone followed you blindly in your misinterpretation. Gosh, what do we use our eyes for?
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 4:30pm On Jun 12, 2009
mactao,

God bless u 1 billion times! grin

This guy muddles up stuffs. He may be dissatisfied with some church doctrines, that's understandable but he's trying to justify his decision not to go to church by saying some think God resides in the building. I'm sure the devil is whispering such nonsense to his ears.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Redman44(m): 4:50pm On Jun 12, 2009
Hmmn, the thread is getting interesting by the hour. I believe there are some good churches in Nigeria but they're very hard to locate, due to the large number of churches in the country. What I don't like is when people condemn other christian denominations and think their church is the best. It is the deep attachment to a certain church that has led to people getting disappointed at the end of the day.

I've never believed one church is better than the other smiley

I don't care what church you belong to, for as long as your Jesus is mine smiley

I'm a Pentecostal christian though I work for a catholic magazine cheesy cheesy

I make bold to say the Catholic church in Nigeria is the most proactive and caring of all Nigerian churches cool cool

I've come across a lot of youths in Nigerian churches who attend church regularly but still dont know what to do with their lives

I believe Jesus is the son of God and calling upon his name should really make us get focused in life. If he walks into most of our churches today, I know he will pick up a whip and chase many people out of the auditoriums. cry cry

It is good to go to church, but at the end of the day, we will not be judged based on the number of services we atended or money we gave as tithes and offerings. We will be judged based on how we lived our lives on earth and whether we really accepted Jesus as our lord and personal saviour. angry angry
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2009
I went home last night, tired and hungry . . . switched on the TV to the christian TCT network. For the 2 hrs until i drifted into a fitful slumber, all i heard was how to "sow" a $1000 seed. Nothing on faith, salvation, sin, the coming of Christ, grace, righteousness . . . it was all an infomercial on how to buy my miracles with my "seed".

I woke up this morning, TV still on TCT network . . . some other dude had come on this time advertising a prayer cloth for a meagre $100 "seed".

Guess who they were? - Mike Murdock and Richard Roberts (of ORU fame).

If this is the state of the church today then i'm not surprised atheists are getting more vocal in American society.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 4:58pm On Jun 12, 2009
Hmmm another bros looking for reasons to stay away from churches.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 12, 2009
fyneguy:

Hmmm another bros looking for reasons to stay away from churches.

i attend a good bible-believing church and i'm not seeking to leave it.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by otokx(m): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2009
There are many more like these
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by TheBuilder: 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
This is really an interseting topic and I honestly can feel what the poster is going through. Institutionalised Christianity is religion and cannot take anybody anywhere. In that regard, Kunle is right in his submission. In my opinion, these trend in the christendom is part of the manifestation of the end time and that means there is little anyone can do to change the tide. Remember the question posed by our LORD JESUS CHRIST in the scripture when He asked whether He will still meet faith in the world when He comes back.  So the picure painted is actually expected and it therefore behoves on the spiritually focused and discerning christians to abstain from all from practices, engagements, traditions and beliefs that are unscriptural and hence have potentials to contaminate.

I will advise Kunle and every other christians desirous of offering the right worship and at the place to intensify prayer  to locate the true end-time assembly. And who knows, this may as well be an opportunity for the poster to start one but only if he has the leading.
One LOVE.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 6:22pm On Jun 12, 2009
davidylan:

i attend a good bible-believing church and i'm not seeking to leave it.

Oh you do? please tell us so that many who seek a bible-believing church may join you.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Ndipe(m): 11:40pm On Jun 12, 2009
Mactao, I am impressed by your writeup!
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by na2day2(m): 1:09am On Jun 13, 2009
@ poster

most of the problems in life are extremes, u are taking an extreme position, just like those who rip ppl off in the name of christianity and church are taking an extreme position, both are wrong. the bible commands us to fellowship together and the gathering of believers is a church not the building. my advice is to look for a church that still follows God's word, u might think there is hardly any, remember what God told Elijah that there are 7,000 ppl who have not bowed down to the idol of the day.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ogajim(m): 1:30am On Jun 13, 2009
ogajin,

The story of Cain and Abel offering sacrifice to God is well known. The story of Abraham tithing to the King of Salem is well known. Every action provokes an equal and opposite reaction (you can call it Karma etc), but someone set up this world and owns it. That same being is worthy of your honour, thanks praise and adoration. Why should you think that paying homage to him with your tithe is too much? Was it not him that made it possible for you to own that money? You should actually be giving more than 10% if we are to show absolute gratitude!
--Marlbron

It is good for folks to begin a thread from the start (page1) as the marlboro guy would have seen my first reaction to this. I don't need to give any 10% tithe, I can give more than that if my heart tells me to and also directly bless those I see in need without seeking approval from anyone including any "uber pastor" because it is "my prerogative" and the good Lord leads me to do it.
by the way, Abram paid tithe to the king of Salem (aka future land of Israel), his name was not Abraham then and I do honor the Lord which is why I reject false doctrines/preachings and instead find out for my self by studying his Word in the Bible.
Like I pointed out in earlier post, I still fellowship with others consistently only now I don't pay attention to the stuff that aren't based on the Bible.
We need to get real, what works for Kunle might not work for others.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ogajim(m): 1:41am On Jun 13, 2009
Deeper Life for instance started as a house fellowship at Unilag as I remember it( I remember Gbagada in the early 80s), fellowship with other Christians is the only issue Kunle has to address and he appears to know that he needs to remain faithful to our Lord and savior.
The Bible tells us "to each his own", No need to condemn the man because he is taking this route.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by sosisi(f): 2:54am On Jun 13, 2009
It's interesting that KunleOshob mentions TV01 another individual with a form of Christianity.
Believers should be careful about any Christian who tells you he has read the Bible thoroughly and now knows the mind of God  concerning every issue and everyone else is in error.
Or one who spends time critizing virtually everything in "his faith" and has a ready answer for all questions.
That is  the beginning of heresies and cults
Could these be the people the Bible tells us have crept into the fold ?
I am not impressed
I am not deceived.
May I never come to a point in my life where I feel like I have arrived in faith and now  know all there is to know about God and his ways.
That is the point Kunle and his best friend seem to have come to.
That, my friend,is a dangerous position to be in.
I do not envy them at all.
They may be on a quest to seek out a perfect gathering of non tithing believers meeting under a mango tree under an umbrella of love
But the moment they join it becomes imperfect because they are imperfect themselves
The Bible says that those who are led by the Spirit,are the sons of God.
Every believer should pray to be led
The letter kills but the Spirit gives life.
Let him who has an ear,hear.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by yommyuk: 4:27am On Jun 13, 2009
Job 28:20
"Where then does wisdom come from? Where does understanding dwell?

Proverbs 2:12
Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse

Proverbs 4:7
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

Jeremiah 17:7
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
Romans 10:11
As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu / Why Did You Stop Going To Church? / Cost Of Chalets In Mfm Prayer City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.